Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 24-07-2008, 12:49 AM   #121
Hunter
Ex EL Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jock260
I Would, but get this, i like Holdens AND Fords....
LOL some people like boys AND girls too, what's your point?
Old 24-07-2008, 01:15 AM   #122
BennyMac
Starter Motor

In the whole scheme of things both Holden and Ford are built for the average Aussie. Its a matter of opinion who likes what. But to say Holden is better than Ford and visa-versa is plain stupid.
Ford Forum and Street Commodore members should have a BBQ one day and have an intellectual chat between them :Reverend:

Back to LS1 i go

Ben
Old 24-07-2008, 01:26 AM   #123
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shounak
The Holden haters here seem to far outweigh the Ford haters at the other forums. No I don't think that's at all reflective of the cars.
On Facebook, there's a group, "Holden is better than Ford."

Look at the tripe that some of the morons write on there. No basis..."my brother tells me Fords are crap, so I'll just agree." Not to mention about 20 billion "Found on RUbbish Dumps" posts.

There are idiots on both sides.

The benefit of education is that you can discount the comments as uneducated and move on.

That's what most people do with my posts...

Don't snap my undies.
Old 24-07-2008, 01:33 AM   #124
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyMac
In the whole scheme of things both Holden and Ford are built for the average Aussie. Its a matter of opinion who likes what. But to say Holden is better than Ford and visa-versa is plain stupid.
Ford Forum and Street Commodore members should have a BBQ one day and have an intellectual chat between them :Reverend:

Back to LS1 i go

Ben
We'll bring our flaming torches if they bring their pitchforks :P

No chance in hell. Probably be an old-fashioned donnybrook over some trivial thing.

Sometimes it's best to agree to disagree.

Don't snap my undies.
Old 24-07-2008, 10:16 AM   #125
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shounak
The Holden haters here seem to far outweigh the Ford haters at the other forums. No I don't think that's at all reflective of the cars.

Thats because our cars are better and they know it...

We have a car called the XR6 Turbo, which most holden lovers would die for!
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Old 24-07-2008, 10:27 AM   #126
Uncle Raggy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSTerritoryGhia
you better double check..

no speed sensing wipers on the VZ i drove today,, and i know what they look like coz our VE has the same stalks which has them... I was looking for them because it was raining this morning..
Speed sensing wipers are nothing new. My 1973 model XB coupe had speed sensing wipers - once you hit a certain speed they lifted clear off the windscreen :
Old 24-07-2008, 01:05 PM   #127
da_ilks

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSTerritoryGhia
Thats because our cars are better and they know it...

We have a car called the XR6 Turbo, which most holden lovers would die for!
Just like Holden have had the better V8 for the last 11 years? Two can troll at that game :p
Old 24-07-2008, 01:55 PM   #128
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by da_ilks
Just like Holden have had the better V8 for the last 11 years? Two can troll at that game :p
A better V8 with such advanced features as a tin-foil block, constant oil change , and pistons that don't quite fit the bores.

Must be why the LSx has been on Wards best engine list nearly every year and used in supercars like the Koniesegg. Oh wait that's the BOSS..........

The only decent Holden was the VL Turbo which was a Opel body with a Nissan engine.

It's fun being one eyed
:
Old 24-07-2008, 02:09 PM   #129
Wally
XP Coupe

My VL Turbo blew a headgasket after 2 years. I have to wonder though , why it took more than a decade after the demise of the RB30et for Ford to pick up on a turbocharger bolted to a six.... it's not really leading edge stuff.
Old 24-07-2008, 02:10 PM   #130
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
While the jury is still out on the latest version of the BOSS in FG versus LS3, as shown by other threads around here recently, i would agree with this. For whatever reason (even if they do steal their engines from the GM empire) Holden has shown a real loyalty to their V8 commodores...they are well priced great performing sedans in V8 form that is for sure. So much for old Pushrods hey...... It is more a case of differing priorities between Ford and Holden.....people used to say that Ford was the Falcon car company, well i call Holden the SS commodore car company. As long as that car is the best handler, fastest etc....then who cares about the rest of the cars Holden sell.

Have to say though it sure looks a bit ahem...biased....this thread against holden and the commodore. So i think it is important to limit oneself to some objective/obtained facts. If you read the early reviews of BA versus VY, links posted earlier, it shows just how clearly the BA trumped the commie...apart from fuel consumption the VY didn't really get a look in. Its drivetrain, the issue brought up by the OP, was its biggest let down. The failure of the alloytec to make much improvement and the retaining of that horrid 4 speed and here we are....abusing holden commdores. Does that make us one eyed?

Put it this way, 'where there's smoke there's fire' may not always hold true, but my old man once said to me: 'just 'caus its a rumour, doesn't mean it ain't true'. Word on the street was that commies had rubbish base drivetrains, after driving one i think that rumour is TOTALLY BELIEVABLE!
Old 24-07-2008, 05:21 PM   #131
da_ilks

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleekism
A better V8 with such advanced features as a tin-foil block, constant oil change , and pistons that don't quite fit the bores.

Must be why the LSx has been on Wards best engine list nearly every year and used in supercars like the Koniesegg. Oh wait that's the BOSS..........

The only decent Holden was the VL Turbo which was a Opel body with a Nissan engine.

It's fun being one eyed
:
The piston issue was over exaggerated in my opinion - sure, a fair few cars sufferred from it (I'm not denying it didn't happen) but I reckon it was one of those Chinese whispers things which got bigger and bigger as more blokes down the pub spoke about it. It was pretty much rectified by the VX S2 release.

And yeah, the BOSS used in the Falcons is such a proven performer with it's low down torque that Aussie buyers expect from a V8. Oh, wait : The BOSS might be high tech but that doesn't mean it's a good drive - there's something to say for humble, low tech push rod Gen3.

Before the FG release, I couldn't see a real case for the BOSS. If you wanted a V8, the Gen3 was a better drive, and if you wanted a Falcon the XR6T was the better motor. It's one claim to fame over either of those motors was that beautiful sound it made....

But meh. I actually don't really care either way, I've owned a few different makes now. I used to be a one eyed Holden fan but realised I was missing out limiting myself to just Holden.
Old 24-07-2008, 06:34 PM   #132
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:

And yeah, the BOSS used in the Falcons is such a proven performer with it's low down torque that Aussie buyers expect from a V8. Oh, wait : The BOSS might be high tech but that doesn't mean it's a good drive - there's something to say for humble, low tech push rod Gen3.
Since when has the Gen 3 ever had low down torque. Its no different from the Boss in that regard.
Old 24-07-2008, 07:09 PM   #133
futura888
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Ben
,an intellectual chat with a holden supporter,they don't know the meaning of the word...btw there is only so much crap we can put on a car or manufacturer,this thread started by saying that vz's were average at best... now who knows what we are on about????
Old 24-07-2008, 08:42 PM   #134
Jock260
Cast Iron fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleekism

It's fun being one eyed
:
Oil consumption was fixed in 2003, even so, it wasnt prevelent. If its so out of date, then why does has it rained on Fords parade for tha past 10 or so years?
Old 24-07-2008, 11:48 PM   #135
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jock260
Oil consumption was fixed in 2003, even so, it wasnt prevelent. If its so out of date, then why does has it rained on Fords parade for tha past 10 or so years?
Whether its out of date or not, Holden's marketing is very good.
It might be full of a lot of tripe, but the fact that they can make people believe anything they are told means something is working.

Ford on the other hand...

Don't snap my undies.
Old 25-07-2008, 04:01 PM   #136
BennyMac
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
Whether its out of date or not, Holden's marketing is very good.
It might be full of a lot of tripe, but the fact that they can make people believe anything they are told means something is working.

Ford on the other hand...

Ford on the other hand...yeah do go on......
Holden have the runs on the board mate. No if's, buts or maybe's.
If there is a smidgen between the two, Holden hold the upper hand.
"But Holden's marketing is very good" :voldar02:
Holden have the wood over Ford. Live with it........
Old 25-07-2008, 04:30 PM   #137
dave289
Banned

Quote:
They may have the wood on ford when it comes to marketing,but when it comes to the actual product ford have the wood on them so you'll have to live with that and when it comes to the six cylinder which is what the thread is about there is simply no comparison whatsoever so you'll have to live with that also.and if you want to mention the holden v8 ,well even the ford six cylinder smokes that too.and if you must know I own a CV8 monaro so I speak from experience benny.

I cant believe this thread has gone on for 6 pages without being canned by the moderators.are they away on holidays or are they just enjoying this thread?

Last edited by dave289; 25-07-2008 at 04:36 PM.
Old 25-07-2008, 04:41 PM   #138
burnz
VFII SS UTE

is this tread still going ??
Old 25-07-2008, 04:55 PM   #139
Uncle Raggy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave289
They may have the wood on ford when it comes to marketing,but when it comes to the actual product ford have the wood on them so you'll have to live with that and when it comes to the six cylinder which is what the thread is about there is simply no comparison whatsoever so you'll have to live with that also.and if you want to mention the holden v8 ,well even the ford six cylinder smokes that too.and if you must know I own a CV8 monaro so I speak from experience benny.

I cant believe this thread has gone on for 6 pages without being canned by the moderators.are they away on holidays or are they just enjoying this thread?
Gotta ask, why do you own a Monaro if the Ford product is superior? Curious to know why you would make that decision.

Tick, tick, tick, thread is going, going......
Old 25-07-2008, 05:08 PM   #140
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I think you completely misunderstood.
Marketing has played a massive role in people's perception about Holdens.
Fords are great cars that are no worse than Holdens, so why do people perceive Holden as being this almighty Australian car while Ford are seen as "crap"...marketing.

As I've said, the only Ford commercials I've really like are the ute commercials. Everything else is ineffective.

Holden commercials, even if they are full of it, are effective and memorable. That "Evolution Ends Here" phrase...I mean, fair dinkum...what's going to happen to the next model? "We denounce evolution...God created the Holden Ute." (which we know is false).

And for your stupid closing statement, "Live with it", I drive a Holden. I am well aware of Holden sales and how a badge plays on people's taste. Take the Barina for example.

My closing statement, "Ford on the other hand" refers to its comparatively inept marketing.

Perhaps you should understand what I've written before you can it.

Don't snap my undies.
Old 25-07-2008, 05:17 PM   #141
dave289
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleraggy
Gotta ask, why do you own a Monaro if the Ford product is superior? Curious to know why you would make that decision.

Tick, tick, tick, thread is going, going......
Some of my mates were in shock when they learnt I had bought a holden too.To answer that question better you should probably look at my thread"thinking of buying a monaro".while I am fordman and may sometimes be considered one-eyed I still do aprreciate some old school holdens,after all they helped make ford what it is today and vice versa.when I first saw the new monaro as a prototypr at the sydney motor show in 2000 I thought it was a great looking car and thought I would not mind that.Its a shame ford dont have the balls to do what holden seem to be able to do.basically I got it at a very,very good price,with v8 purple haze and purple leather I could not pass it up even If I am a hardcore fordman. Look at my thread and tell me you would have passed it up.
Old 25-07-2008, 05:20 PM   #142
burnz
VFII SS UTE

evolution end's here (average)
baby i'm ready to roll (good)
game over (very good)
thunderstruck (exellent)
ford ad's were .......can't remember.
drive on..
Old 25-07-2008, 05:32 PM   #143
Uncle Raggy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Some of my mates were in shock when they learnt I had bought a holden too.To answer that question better you should probably look at my thread"thinking of buying a monaro".while I am fordman and may sometimes be considered one-eyed I still do aprreciate some old school holdens,after all they helped make ford what it is today and vice versa.when I first saw the new monaro as a prototypr at the sydney motor show in 2000 I thought it was a great looking car and thought I would not mind that.Its a shame ford dont have the balls to do what holden seem to be able to do.basically I got it at a very,very good price,with v8 purple haze and purple leather I could not pass it up even If I am a hardcore fordman. Look at my thread and tell me you would have passed it up.
Lol, I already have a Holden Dave. Nothing flash though like a Monaro But I'm looking at replacing it with a small Ford now. Save money on fuel, have more to throw at the XB coupe :

I've owned two Fords and two Holdens (if a Gemini counts). The Holden has been brilliantly reliable, but the Fords had the most character. And when I considered trading the VT for a VE, the fit and finish of the interior was enough to make me look elsewhere.
Old 25-07-2008, 05:53 PM   #144
dave289
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleraggy
Lol, I already have a Holden Dave. Nothing flash though like a Monaro But I'm looking at replacing it with a small Ford now. Save money on fuel, have more to throw at the XB coupe :

I've owned two Fords and two Holdens (if a Gemini counts). The Holden has been brilliantly reliable, but the Fords had the most character. And when I considered trading the VT for a VE, the fit and finish of the interior was enough to make me look elsewhere.
Sorry to hijack your thread LS but it was drying up fast.While I dont mind a holden bash now and then ,Ive had enough for one day.

uncleraggy the only holden other than the monaro is a gemini I once owned many years ago,got that for a good price too .

up until three weeks ago I owned three v8's and the fuel is starting to get to me too.reluctently I SOLD MY 77 P6 LTD to a lady that would have been around 60 years old(surprised me too).She drove it up the coast and rang me to tell me it went like a dream and how much she loved it,she told me how she will always keep it in the garage and will look after it.Its good to no its gone to a good home. I have a one owner ford capri(1990) which has been sitting in the garage for almost 2 years without rego.I might have to pull this out with these fuel prices.when I first bought it I ran it to almost empty and went to fill it up.it would only take 38 litres of fuel,when I got home i found out it only has a 42 litre tank which gets 400kms of city driving so might pull that out of the closet for a run.It is actually a fun little car and i might use it to teach my son on as he will turn 16 in april and will be getting his l's(cant wait fir that ha ha).it is a manual and all my other cars are autos so best to teach him how to drive properly,anyway enough for now.
Old 25-07-2008, 08:03 PM   #145
FGX-351
Supercharged Mang-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLaViTaR
Damn straight the V6's are bad.

A guy I know has a VN and at idle I feel like I'm sitting on a blender.
LOL! Best call of the week
09/00 VX HSV XU6 Build #0001 of 0171
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....09#post5571209
-- Best E/T: |14.982 @92.12mph | R/T:0.013 | 60' 2.213| 330: 6.283 | 1/8: 9.624 @ 73.17mph | 1000: 12.529 | 25Deg, N/A Hum, 1010mb | Willowbank Raceway 7/12/16

Tickford EL Falcon XR6 RIP
-- Factory Manual
-- Best E/T: |14.991 @ 92.71mph | R/T: 0.607 | 60': 2.215 | 660': 9.665 |13Deg, 86%H, 1024mb, 184RA @ Willowbank Raceway
Old 26-07-2008, 12:20 PM   #146
BennyMac
Starter Motor

Quote:
when it comes to the actual product ford have the wood on them
Mate get ya hand off it. Big deal about the XR6T! WOW 1 car thats amazing
Both Holden and Ford are CRAP, it just so happens Ford are better at it and if you must know, i dont give a s*%t what car you have.
Get a life........and have a nice weekend
Old 26-07-2008, 12:23 PM   #147
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Quality!!
Closed Thread