Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-01-2011, 12:08 AM   #121
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Did anyone see the FCAI figures on how many cars were made in Australia in December 2010. 13007 vehicles.

http://www.fcai.com.au/sales/monthly-production-volumes

The three manufacturers (and suppliers) arent even covering wages at those production figures.
bobthebilda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2011, 12:21 AM   #122
Resurrection
I was correct - AGAIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
So the 3.2 is gonna be as heavy as the 4L? Your gonna need the above for the 3.2 as well.

Then the other problem is with the even more limited number of pars for the 3.2 how much of a premium is it gonna cost. World engines are the way car manufactures going. Hence why the I6 will unfortunately die.
A 3.2 litre version of the 4.0 litre I6 won't be much different unlike the 2.0 GTDI which will be much lighter.

I agree the I6 will die. Too many idiots think because it is an 'old' engine that it isn't as good as a modern engine. The Falcon I6 gives the Holden 'new' V6 a run for it's money.
Resurrection is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2011, 12:29 AM   #123
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resurrection
A 3.2 litre version of the 4.0 litre I6 won't be much different unlike the 2.0 GTDI which will be much lighter.

I agree the I6 will die. Too many idiots think because it is an 'old' engine that it isn't as good as a modern engine. The Falcon I6 gives the Holden 'new' V6 a run for it's money.
The I6 is a beautiful engine, I love it (and this coming from someone who owns a SIDI 3.6 thrashytec)
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2011, 01:33 AM   #124
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
The I6 is a beautiful engine, I love it (and this coming from someone who owns a SIDI 3.6 thrashytec)
As someone who has spent 5,000 km in a Ford edge with 3.5 V6,
the Duratecs are on a level above the GM V6...
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2011, 01:45 AM   #125
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
As someone who has spent 5,000 km in a Ford edge with 3.5 V6,
the Duratecs are on a level above the GM V6...
is that the same family of engine as the 3.7 in the CX9? they are a good unit.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2011, 02:05 AM   #126
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
is that the same family of engine as the 3.7 in the CX9? they are a good unit.
Yes, ours was the version with VCT on inlet only but still a very willing engine,
the 6-speed auto was very well tuned and never missed a beat.
We did LA-Las Vegas-Grand Canyon-Las Vegas- Death valley-Mammoth Lakes-San Francisco-LA

All 4 up fully loaded, lots of steep hills from 0 feet to 5,000 feet and heaps of 70 mph running.
Constantly averaged US 23 mpg (10.2 l/100 km)
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2011, 01:55 PM   #127
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resurrection
That was 20 years ago with the EA! Technology has advanced significantly and a 3.2 today would produce a lot more power and torque compared to the asthmatic 90kW produced from the EA 3.2 engine which was fitted to a 3 speed auto. With a modern engine and twice as many gears it wouldn't have to be flogged as hard to get it to go, which is what the EA 3.2 engine suffered from.
I'm talking about the smaller capacity Barra engine that PD experimented with years ago. Made bugger all difference to economy.

Not a production engine.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2011, 04:56 PM   #128
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Domestic production eclipsed by Asian imports in 2010

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...2578290022A3EF

Quote:
Australia knocked from vehicle sourcing second spot by both Thailand and South Korea

1 February 2011

By HAITHAM RAZAGUI

THE number of locally-produced vehicles supplied to the Australian market was simultaneously overtaken by imports from Thailand and South Korea last year, demoting domestic production from second to fourth largest source of vehicles sold here.

Thailand and South Korea were in a photo finish for second position behind Japan, each exporting more than 160,000 vehicles to Australia in 2010, with the Thais pipping their Asian competitors to the post by just 1548 units.

Nevertheless, South Korea will no doubt be satisfied with knocking off Europe, which shipped 130,000 units to fall into fifth place.

Australian production contributed 146,314 vehicles to the local market last year compared with 248,912 in 2005 – a decline of 41.2 per cent in six years. In the same period, supply to the Australian market from Thailand and South Korea grew 94 per cent and 107 per cent respectively.

However, there is light at the end of the tunnel for domestic manufacturing.

Australia’s rate of decline slowed significantly between 2009 and 2010, and imminent local production of a facelifted Holden Cruze with improved engines – and a hatchback variant – should move about 30,000 cars (18 per cent) from South Korea’s tally to Australia’s. This alone might be enough for Australia to claw its way back up the charts to second position, at least temporarily.

Meanwhile, the revised Territory is set to increase demand for locally-produced Fords from March and a new Australian-built Camry, planned for the end of the year, should do the same for Toyota.

Japan comfortably maintained its substantial lead and made a 6.7 per cent recovery – after a significant 11.7 per cent dip in 2009 – to provide Australia with almost 366,000 vehicles. That accounted for more than a third of the total market and is almost 29,000 more than South Korea and Thailand combined.

Imports from the land of the rising sun do appear to have peaked, though, consistently registering in the mid-300,000s since 2005, with an overall decline since then of 5.75 per cent.

Other than an Australian comeback, what else is likely to change in 2011?

In terms of Thailand’s line on the graph – given that, with only a couple of small exceptions, all Australian-delivered one-tonne utes come from Thailand – Volkswagen’s Argentinian-built Amarok threatens to put a dent in Thai imports from March onwards while Mazda recently announced that it is taking production of Australian-delivered Mazda2s out of Thailand and back to Japan.

Nevertheless, the Amarok effect could be offset by the later arrival of all-new, Thai-sourced utes from Ford and Mazda and, likewise, the new Thai-built Ford Fiesta and Nissan Micra will sell in high enough volumes to negate the impact of the missing Mazda2.

Thanks to the free trade agreement between Thailand and Australia that has existed since 2005, increasing numbers of vehicle manufacturers setting up in the country to build light cars (a rapidly growing category in Australia), and Ford’s plans to build the Focus there, Thailand looks set to make a habit of occupying second place, gradually encroaching on Japan’s penetration.

While South Korea will lose the Cruze, this could go relatively unnoticed (or just result in a temporary blip) as two of Holden’s imported strong sellers – Captiva and Barina – are due for sales-boosting renewals this year.

In addition, Hyundai and Kia show no signs of slowing and both brands have several models planned for launch this year. The figures also show that South Korea’s rate of growth as a source of Australian-delivered vehicles since 2005 has been more rapid than Thailand’s.

A threat to South Korea’s traditional bargain-basement market share is China, whose 2010 figure of 6690 units is set to rise rapidly, with Great Wall planning a diesel variant and facelift for its ute, a revised X240 SUV and the launch of two passenger cars.

What’s more, Chery is getting ready to launch mid-year with a three-model passenger car line-up, Geely cars are on their way and Higer is looking to hatch a HiAce competitor.

The arrival of Opel later this year could boost imports from Europe – which have remained fairly static over the last six years – but momentum is unlikely to gather until 2012, when the brand should be better established with customers and its model line-up is fleshed out.

Even then, Opel’s impact on European imports may well prove to be subtle, as it will be pitched to steal sales from other Euro contenders like Volkswagen.

Top five vehicle sources for Australia 2010:
Rank Source Units
1 Japan 356,968
2 Thailand 164,886
3 South Korea 163,338
4 Australia 146,314
5 Europe 130,369

Old 02-02-2011, 12:05 AM   #129
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

its a shame to see ozy built cars being slowly drowned out by imports, at this rate you have to wonder where we will be in 30 years, a big thanks to our politicians. (SARCASM).
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2011, 12:14 AM   #130
Resurrection
I was correct - AGAIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
its a shame to see ozy built cars being slowly drowned out by imports, at this rate you have to wonder where we will be in 30 years, a big thanks to our politicians. (SARCASM).
30? The local industry will be well gone before then.
Resurrection is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2011, 11:26 AM   #131
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthebilda
Look at it this way. If the commodores and Falcons were protected like everyone wants, half of australias 12 million car fleet would now be falcodores. 6 million falcodores chewing thru 10 litre per 100 k's at 20,000 k's a year would mean 12 billion litres a year. Instead 5 million korean and jap imports chewing thru 7 litres per 100 k's, and 1 million falcodores chewing thru 10 litres per 100 = 9 billion litres a year. 3 billion litres saving a year over a 10 year period (average lifespan of oz car) comes to 30 billion litres.

So where would you rather your money go. To South Korea, Japan and Thailand, where people live in fairly democratic countries. Or to countries like Saudia Arabia and Iran where woman arent even treated like humans, and terrorism is just a way of life. Or are you of some belief that with protectionism we would now be driving around in falcodores that get 7 litres per 100 k's and the leaders of Ford or Holden would have discovered a massive oil field under the Elizabeth or Campbellfeild plants.
What a stupid argument.. I'd rather my money go to Australian jobs & Australian people & that is why Australian made is always better than imported, no matter how you look at it!!
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2011, 11:29 AM   #132
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_The_Win
But what's stopping Ford and Holden from building fuel efficient midsize and small cars that people actually want? At least Holden are taking some initiative with the Cruze, even if it isn't the best car in the world. Toyota have managed with the Corolla for quite a long time.
And Ford is doing nothing?? Arrr hello!!! SUV's are the 2nd biggest sector & diesel is just around the corner for an Australian built car in that sector!!
Old 02-02-2011, 11:42 AM   #133
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
SUV's are the 2nd biggest sector
which blows holes in the fuel usage argument from bobthebuilder. imported cars aren't just small cars.

also, the mindset that aussie cars are 'agricultural' compared to imports is still alive and well obviously, even on these boards.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2011, 11:46 AM   #134
LightningStrike

One word for you - EcoBoost ;)

Winter White AUII eGas 1 Tonner Goooone!

Winter White SY Ghia AWD 6spd Injected Gas
Mazda 3 SP25GT
==========================
LightningStrike is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2011, 12:19 PM   #135
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
So politians and import cars are to blame for the decline of the local cars? It has nothing to do with the product itself or the people in charge of product planning?
It always seems to be someone else's fault...
Old 02-02-2011, 03:36 PM   #136
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
What a stupid argument.. I'd rather my money go to Australian jobs & Australian people & that is why Australian made is always better than imported, no matter how you look at it!!
Well its not how I look at it Joe, Its how 86% of car buyers look at it, since about 86% of cars purchased in australia are imported. You are free to spend your money where ever you want, and you dont even have to feel guilty that you are in the minority.

If you want to buy a car that is far more reliant on crude oil from a country that produced the majority of the 9/11 bombers, then thats your choice.

Quote:
prydey: which blows holes in the fuel usage argument from bobthebuilder. imported cars aren't just small cars.
Yeah prydey, Joe almost had a compelling arguement there if it wasnt for the lack of facts. SUV's maybe the 2nd largest sector, but its broken into SUV compact, SUV medium, SUV Large and SUV Luxury. SUV compact make up approx 50% of the SUV market. And light,small, and medium cars (which most are imported) make up approx 45% of all vehicles sold, and together outsell the SUV compact by over 4.5 to 1.

You both have shot me down with your extensive research and knowledge, and I now feel unworthy of your vast cause and effect analysis.
Old 02-02-2011, 05:54 PM   #137
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Your comments are actually really starting to p!ss me off!! People can buy important cars as much as they want, but not one (AND I do mean not one) of them are buying imported cars because they are trying to stop money going to the countries that produce fuel, because they produced the majority of 9/11 bomber.. This is just dumb talk to the highest degree! You really need to stop that line..

Don’t bring terrorism & 9/11 bombers into an argument about buying local vs. imported cars. Have some f’ken respect for those that have lost lives because to terrorism... Get a reality check about the topic at hand!!
Now calm down Joe, why would someones comments p!ss you off. Do you feel threatened that others have opinions

Quote:
People can buy important cars as much as they want
Every car is important to the buyer, be it locally made or imported .

You do know what happens to minorities, that get angry about the little things in life, and are unable to see facts from fiction. Oh gee, I cant say what those people go on to become.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:18 PM   #138
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Now calm down Joe, why would someones comments p!ss you off. Do you feel threatened that others have opinions

Every car is important to the buyer, be it locally made or imported .

You do know what happens to minorities, that get angry about the little things in life, and are unable to see facts from fiction. Oh gee, I cant say what those people go on to become.
If you think for one second you’re in the majority because you buy imported cars because you don’t want to give money to terrorism, you are so far from reality it is not funny!!! I have no problem with people buying imported cars, what I do have a problem with is someone trying to say “if I buy local, I choose to support terrorism”.. And this is exactly what you have said!! The connection you have made between the 2 is nothing short of stupidity.. This is what is p!ssing me off!! If you want to support imported cars, please do, but use something that has substance..
Old 02-02-2011, 07:11 PM   #139
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
I'm not threatened by your comments but it does highlight your ignorance.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:29 PM   #140
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
People can buy important cars as much as they want, but not one (AND I do mean not one) of them are buying imported cars because they are trying to stop money going to the countries that produce fuel, because they produced the majority of 9/11 bomber.. This is just dumb talk to the highest degree! You really need to stop that line..
Well, there's at least one that does - though, your comments still stand. When I buy a car, I choose the vehicle that best suits my needs and wants for the money I want to pay.

I didn't for a moment think the HSV I bought or the BF Ghia that replaced it was going to help fund terrorist activities because I didn't opt for a more frugal, imported car.

That's just crazy talk.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2011, 11:50 PM   #141
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Yeah prydey, Joe almost had a compelling arguement there if it wasnt for the lack of facts. SUV's maybe the 2nd largest sector, but its broken into SUV compact, SUV medium, SUV Large and SUV Luxury. SUV compact make up approx 50% of the SUV market. And light,small, and medium cars (which most are imported) make up approx 45% of all vehicles sold, and together outsell the SUV compact by over 4.5 to 1.

You both have shot me down with your extensive research and knowledge, and I now feel unworthy of your vast cause and effect analysis.
and what % of those use less fuel than the aussie commo and falcon? your argument was about fuel useage, not car class. yes, they are probably still in front, but not by the huge margin you make out.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2011, 12:05 AM   #142
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
I'm not threatened by your comments but it does highlight your ignorance.
Correct.

Bobthebilda, you're better off posting that kind of garbage on a political forum.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:45 AM   #143
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

These are always interesting threads when the figures for each month comes out and will not close it because of anyone making links for buying a car is associated with terrorism. I cannot for the life of me see the connection and really do not want to try to understand the reasons behind it, no matter how remote.

Drop the off topic crap .............

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post