The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 01:02 PM   #121
xy500
Constant annoyance

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST
Ok? That counters what I have said how?

Stating Korea as a whole can't make cars because of one manufacturer is a massive generalisation and has been proven wrong by the two given examples.

Very common misconception: Korea can't make cars.
dont be silly, they dont make cars, they make high undies and day woos
Old 12-11-2010, 01:13 PM   #122
wozman

if your car is traveling at the speed of light at night will your headlight still light up the road ??
Old 12-11-2010, 01:30 PM   #123
dylancox

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Yes but if you took TRD Aurion as the example then Australia cant make performance cars either can it?
A TRD Aurion is Australian? Last time I checked, they were just the Asian version of the Camry with a V6 shoehorned into it and some local blokes bolted a supercharger onto it (one of which subsequently exploded on an enthusiastic test drive).

Common Misconception: Toyota Camry and Aurion are Australian Cars
Old 12-11-2010, 01:41 PM   #124
bigdude1011

Common misconception: Australia has tough import laws to look after Australian manufacturers.
Old 12-11-2010, 02:54 PM   #125
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdude1011
Common misconception: Australia has tough import laws to look after Australian manufacturers.
Says the guy driving a Honda.
Old 12-11-2010, 03:27 PM   #126
Tucool
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by wozman
if your car is traveling at the speed of light at night will your headlight still light up the road ??

I like that one,can anyone solve that?

AU II XR8 Daily driver.

BF XR8 ute (Red the only true Modification) My Toy.

The boy,

XT Ute 393 cleveland.

Genuine XB GT.
Old 12-11-2010, 03:41 PM   #127
fmc351
let it burn

Are they HID?

If youre travelling at Warp1, the light from the headlights should be travelling at Warp2, but as light and all other electromagnetic radiation always travel at this speed in empty space (vacuum), regardless of the motion of the source or the inertial frame of the observer. Its value is exactly 299,792,458 metres per second (approximately 186,282 miles per second). In the theory of relativity, c connects space and time, and appears in the famous equation of mass–energy equivalence E = mc2. The speed of light is the speed of all massless particles and associated fields in vacuum, and it is predicted by the current theory to be the speed of gravity and of gravitational waves and an upper bound on the speed at which energy, matter, and information can travel.

The speed at which light propagates through transparent materials, such as glass or air, is less than c. The ratio between c and the speed v at which light travels in a material is called the refractive index n of the material (n = c / v). For example, for visible light the refractive index of glass is typically around 1.5, meaning that we can sit on our throne as the Prince of Belair.
Old 12-11-2010, 04:18 PM   #128
Rev28K
re

Location: Victoria - where being slow & incompetent is considered being "safe"

Quote:
Yes but if you took TRD Aurion as the example then Australia cant make performance cars either can it?
Strangely enough I know a guy who got out of a TRD Aurion and in to a Lexus IS-F then realised that he’d made a mistake and he liked the FWD supercharged TRD better than the RWD V8 IS-F.

He’s been in to cars for years (has a 66 Mustang) and he’s been circuit racing (lap records) and drag racing over the years so I’ll have to take his word for it that the TRD was the better car.
Scuderia Rev: Otto the tow pig - 2007 3.0 litre Coupé, vernünftig schnelle aber kein peilstab, Bathurst 2007 und 2010 zwölf Stunde Gewinner Jaffa the angry ant - mid 70's Honda 市民の, 73 と立方インチ LSD Elle "the body" shell - early 70's Datsun フェアレディ coupe. いい体は彼女の内側、内側と土台を待つ
Old 12-11-2010, 04:23 PM   #129
Airmon
King of the Fairy's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucool
I like that one,can anyone solve that?
No because if you go over the speed limit you'll die.

In all seriousness, No because there wont be any road left to light up because you'll be halfway to the moon by the time you've realised its gotten dark.

And to answer the question in principle, yes because it doesn't matter how fast you're going, light will always be faster.
Old 12-11-2010, 04:23 PM   #130
Cooper69S

Quote:
haha yeah I remember that from Steven Wright:
Quote:

I was in a job interview and I opened a book and started reading. Then I said to the guy, "Let me ask you a question. If you are in a spaceship that is traveling at the speed of light, and you turn on the headlights, does anything happen?" He said, "I don't know." I said, "I don't want your job."
Old 12-11-2010, 05:30 PM   #131
JimNiki
71Mach1

I was under the impression that the speed of light was absolute.
Wasn't that illustrated in that famous "train" example from his general theory of relativity?
violets are #0000FF
all my base
are belong to you
Old 12-11-2010, 05:31 PM   #132
JimNiki
71Mach1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev28K
Strangely enough I know a guy who got out of a TRD Aurion and in to a Lexus IS-F then realised that he’d made a mistake and he liked the FWD supercharged TRD better than the RWD V8 IS-F.

He’s been in to cars for years (has a 66 Mustang) and he’s been circuit racing (lap records) and drag racing over the years so I’ll have to take his word for it that the TRD was the better car.
Matey, not arguing with you but with all the cars that experienced man has driven, it sounds like none of them were FWD ...There's a good reason for that...
violets are #0000FF
all my base
are belong to you
Old 12-11-2010, 05:42 PM   #133
Rev28K
re

Location: Victoria - where being slow & incompetent is considered being "safe"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimNiki
Matey, not arguing with you but with all the cars that experienced man has driven, it sounds like none of them were FWD ...There's a good reason for that...
Well it suprised me too. If I didn't know the guys history I'd have thought that he was just a w***er. I'm just telling it as it was told to me.
Scuderia Rev: Otto the tow pig - 2007 3.0 litre Coupé, vernünftig schnelle aber kein peilstab, Bathurst 2007 und 2010 zwölf Stunde Gewinner Jaffa the angry ant - mid 70's Honda 市民の, 73 と立方インチ LSD Elle "the body" shell - early 70's Datsun フェアレディ coupe. いい体は彼女の内側、内側と土台を待つ
Old 12-11-2010, 05:55 PM   #134
ZDI-970
Formerly D3v[]

Quote:
No only if your lane ends, as in there is clear demarcation that it is your lane that is ending.

If your lane is the one that continues on or there is no demarcation then you do not indicate.

N.B. Demarcation means you have to cross a line to enter the other lane.
thats what i ment thanks for makin it clearer though
Old 12-11-2010, 06:45 PM   #135
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Go in a good one.

What the good reason? Enlighten me, PM?
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
Old 12-11-2010, 06:53 PM   #136
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST
Ok? That counters what I have said how?

Stating Korea as a whole can't make cars because of one manufacturer is a massive generalisation and has been proven wrong by the two given examples.

Very common misconception: Korea can't make cars.
Hmm, lets see,
Kia = Cheap Crap
Daewoo = Holden Crap
Ssanyyong = Ugly Crap
Hyundai = Shiny Crap

Have I missed anyone out?

Saying that they improved since the 90’s, is like pointing out that even dog turds eventually stop stinking.
Don’t get me wrong, everything is relative, and if the Koreans built a time machine and sent i30’s back to the 80’s they would sell like hot cakes.
Of course they have improved, but they are still miles short of their competitors. Maybe closing the gap, but still miles short.

Given their huge price advantage, if they were half decent they would ALL be outselling the competitors 2 to 1.
Daewoo were so crap they gave up and went home, Kia are jokes on wheels, and only Hynundai, after 20 years of selling us cheap junk has made real sales progress. Considering that half the people buying them are women who know nothing about cars and simply buy based on price and goodies, it still doesn’t really say much.

I actually looked at an i30 before buying my XR4, and I was almost seduced by the cheap price and list of “features,” but in the end it was just too awful. Uncomfortable, steered like a slug, and engine sounded like a hammer drill.

I am taking my 17yr DAUGHTER looking at cars. Now admittedly, we’re looking at 2nd hand, at least ten years old, but even SHE hates Korean cars.

Common Misconception: If you take a big piece of ****, stick in an engine, 4 wheels, and lots of goodies, it deserves to be called a car.
Old 12-11-2010, 06:55 PM   #137
dylancox

Quote:
Wow... you do realise that at the speed of light, you would have circled the earth and arrived at your starting point 7 times over in just one second? Not a really fun way to travel methinks..
Old 12-11-2010, 07:37 PM   #138
JimNiki
71Mach1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
Go in a good one.

What the good reason? Enlighten me, PM?
good reason for RWD?
ask 95% of drivers on this forum???

not sure I understand the q.
cheers...
violets are #0000FF
all my base
are belong to you
Old 12-11-2010, 07:42 PM   #139
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
good reason for RWD?
ask 95% of drivers on this forum???

not sure I understand the q.
cheers...
Nevermind ill leave you to it.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
Old 12-11-2010, 08:09 PM   #140
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ford stealer invisible super duper paint protection supposedly actually exists.....
Old 12-11-2010, 08:21 PM   #141
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
Ford stealer invisible super duper paint protection supposedly actually exists.....
I had always thought that was clear coat in my younger years... maybe that's a misconception? Do ford actually put anything on it?
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
Old 12-11-2010, 08:35 PM   #142
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpa_spec_au
I had always thought that was clear coat in my younger years... maybe that's a misconception? Do ford actually put anything on it?
They remove the hex with voodoo crows feet.
Old 12-11-2010, 09:06 PM   #143
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc351
They remove the hex with voodoo crows feet.
holy water christened paint rubbing stick..??..
Old 12-11-2010, 10:21 PM   #144
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
holy water christened paint rubbing stick..??..
And for a little extra, a quick coat of unicorn tears applied by angels.
Old 13-11-2010, 12:04 AM   #145
ST
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz
Hmm, lets see,
Kia = Cheap Crap
Daewoo = Holden Crap
Ssanyyong = Ugly Crap
Hyundai = Shiny Crap

Have I missed anyone out?

Saying that they improved since the 90’s, is like pointing out that even dog turds eventually stop stinking.
Don’t get me wrong, everything is relative, and if the Koreans built a time machine and sent i30’s back to the 80’s they would sell like hot cakes.
Of course they have improved, but they are still miles short of their competitors. Maybe closing the gap, but still miles short.

Given their huge price advantage, if they were half decent they would ALL be outselling the competitors 2 to 1.
Daewoo were so crap they gave up and went home, Kia are jokes on wheels, and only Hynundai, after 20 years of selling us cheap junk has made real sales progress. Considering that half the people buying them are women who know nothing about cars and simply buy based on price and goodies, it still doesn’t really say much.

I actually looked at an i30 before buying my XR4, and I was almost seduced by the cheap price and list of “features,” but in the end it was just too awful. Uncomfortable, steered like a slug, and engine sounded like a hammer drill.

I am taking my 17yr DAUGHTER looking at cars. Now admittedly, we’re looking at 2nd hand, at least ten years old, but even SHE hates Korean cars.

Common Misconception: If you take a big piece of ****, stick in an engine, 4 wheels, and lots of goodies, it deserves to be called a car.
...The i30 does sell like hotcakes, it is only slightly behind the Falcon (you know, Ford's best seller) in sales.

I'm not even going to address the rest of that post, as it is pretty much the key problem which this thread is trying to solve: Ignorance.
Old 13-11-2010, 12:18 AM   #146
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylancox
A TRD Aurion is Australian? Last time I checked, they were just the Asian version of the Camry with a V6 shoehorned into it and some local blokes bolted a supercharger onto it (one of which subsequently exploded on an enthusiastic test drive).

Common Misconception: Toyota Camry and Aurion are Australian Cars
Geez you would want to own any car that those blokes bolted one of the same model superchargers to would you......
Old 13-11-2010, 12:24 AM   #147
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
Geez you would want to own any car that those blokes bolted one of the same model superchargers to would you......

Lets hope the Prodrive/Harrop Union works better on a Ford Hmm...
Old 13-11-2010, 12:25 AM   #148
dylancox

Quote:
The engine went bang, not the supercharger.
Old 13-11-2010, 12:33 AM   #149
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylancox
The engine went bang, not the supercharger.
Well thats much less embarassing.

Old 13-11-2010, 12:53 AM   #150
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
if your traveling faster than light, then you would cast a shadow over your own headlights.
Closed Thread