Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 20-07-2021, 11:47 AM   #12481
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Default Re: Covid 19 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor 57 View Post
I am not sure about that, I think the Constitution is fine the way it is - do you want the Feds to over-rule the States? Really?

It has highlighted to the uneducated about how our Constitution works - my kids thought that the Feds ruled over the States, this has certainly educated them on how it really works and on some issues where the power sits and that education is a good thing
yep, under a National crisis situation/s yes, obviously dialog would be with all Prems and specific needed authorities involved but having one do this one do that coming up with similar F ups, blame them, oh thats their prob, the school yard belittling supported by rank and file either side has done us no favours in the big picture, caused divide more than anything.
No its not fine the way it is under these circumstances but I degress.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
2 users like this post:
Old 20-07-2021, 11:54 AM   #12482
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Does anyone know who makes the testing kits and how much it costs per test? And who is doing the analysis and how much does that cost per test? Just curious about the money flow.

Quote:
I am not sure about that, I think the Constitution is fine the way it is - do you want the Feds to over-rule the States? Really?

It has highlighted to the uneducated about how our Constitution works - my kids thought that the Feds ruled over the States, this has certainly educated them on how it really works and on some issues where the power sits and that education is a good thing
Constitution was updated after the last pandemic, was followed in the first shipment of overseas citizens and residents, but then delegated?

Just my opinion only, but in terms of cases and deaths, I reckon the federated model saved our bacon. We were headed down the US, UK, Brazil strategy at the beginning. Remember the first outbreak? "Go Sharkies!"

UK and US only looking better now because of their vaccination roll out.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
Old 20-07-2021, 12:00 PM   #12483
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Thought this may be of interest to a few on here.

I text my running partner yesterday to see how she was going. she called me back, which usually means something is up. She tells me she is in covid iso. Turns out that the guy I bought my house from was at the rugby game at AAMI Park where a positive case was. As he was in the same area as that case, he is a Tier 1 exposure and is now in 14 day isolation.

My running partner runs the local hockey club's canteen. the guy I bought the house form is a club and committee member of that hockey club and they shared the same space before lockdown occurred.

She is a child carer and has nine separate families access her house every week, so, as a precaution, she's put herself into isolation and got a covid test. Whilst at the hospital, they told her she needed to isolate until the test result came back. But, her isolation does not include isolation from her family. Her hubby is the electrician at the hospital.

So, he interacts with her at home, then heads off to work where he interacts with workers at the hospital. Where, if she turns out to be positive, he has been exposed and then potentially exposed those at the hospital.

Not really isolating then!

And she has not been contacted buy anyone from the government identifying her as a contact of a contact.

Does make you wonder.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
4 users like this post:
Old 20-07-2021, 12:09 PM   #12484
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 View Post
Thought this may be of interest to a few on here.

I text my running partner yesterday to see how she was going. she called me back, which usually means something is up. She tells me she is in covid iso. Turns out that the guy I bought my house from was at the rugby game at AAMI Park where a positive case was. As he was in the same area as that case, he is a Tier 1 exposure and is now in 14 day isolation.

My running partner runs the local hockey club's canteen. the guy I bought the house form is a club and committee member of that hockey club and they shared the same space before lockdown occurred.

She is a child carer and has nine separate families access her house every week, so, as a precaution, she's put herself into isolation and got a covid test. Whilst at the hospital, they told her she needed to isolate until the test result came back. But, her isolation does not include isolation from her family. Her hubby is the electrician at the hospital.

So, he interacts with her at home, then heads off to work where he interacts with workers at the hospital. Where, if she turns out to be positive, he has been exposed and then potentially exposed those at the hospital.

Not really isolating then!

And she has not been contacted buy anyone from the government identifying her as a contact of a contact.

Does make you wonder.
Just shows how bloody hard it is to catch every combination of close contacts in a timely manner. Did she have to QR in at the canteen? Did the guy provide all the names to the contact tracing team accurately and timely?

I think there are 14,000 or so close contacts in iso. Imagine having to ring every one of them up and then interview and track down every single one of their contacts. This outbreak only started a week ago.

Had my 2nd jab this morning, at the entrance they flashed up all the suburbs that had been listed as exposure sites and then a lady asked "have you been to any of these areas" The list basically covered all of metro melb, but fortunately it didn't list my home suburb.

Rides (past and present)
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

Old 20-07-2021, 12:10 PM   #12485
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Data valid as at 00:00 GMT July 19th 2021.

Note
: As not all Australian States report at the same time, the data below is based on the previous full day reporting.

116 new cases for Australia and 0 deaths so the CMR is 2.855%.

3 new cases and no deaths for NZ so CMR is 0.923%.

The UK had a lower 39,538 cases yesterday and lower 19 deaths for a CMR of 2.352%.

A higher 37,149 new cases in the USA yesterday and higher 137 deaths sees CMR at 1.786%.

Other notable points:
The USA passes 35M cases;

Isle of Man (238);
Libya (3,425);
Iraq (9,883); and
Thailand (11,784)

... all recorded new daily highs; those in blue for the second consecutive day and those in red for a third or more consecutive day.

No countries move above the 90th percentile for the 10 day period and Costa Rica drops below.

Observatio Facta Rotae

2 users like this post:
Old 20-07-2021, 01:08 PM   #12486
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217 View Post
yep, under a National crisis situation/s yes, obviously dialog would be with all Prems and specific needed authorities involved but having one do this one do that coming up with similar F ups, blame them, oh thats their prob, the school yard belittling supported by rank and file either side has done us no favours in the big picture, caused divide more than anything.
No its not fine the way it is under these circumstances but I degress.
I could go on about the reasons it should stay the same, but the main one, which is true for this pandemic is that the Feds reacted far too slow and forced the States to react and I am glad they did, I wouldn't want to change
2 users like this post:
Old 20-07-2021, 01:13 PM   #12487
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
She is a child carer and has nine separate families access her house every week, so, as a precaution, she's put herself into isolation
my wife does the same work and is notifying her parents as I type this that her self isolation will continue this week due to Victoria's decision to extend the lock-down for another 7 days

We live regionally and she is immune suppressed, she has had both shots of AZ but could still get very crook if she contracted it. Vic Gvmt is saying that as a result of that AFL match they know people have returned to locations right across regional Vict, so my wife is taking no chances.

Some parents are not as responsible as others and travel to hotspots without a 2nd thought
This user likes this post:
Old 20-07-2021, 01:15 PM   #12488
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
Constitution was updated after the last pandemic, was followed in the first shipment of overseas citizens and residents, but then delegated?

Just my opinion only, but in terms of cases and deaths, I reckon the federated model saved our bacon. We were headed down the US, UK, Brazil strategy at the beginning. Remember the first outbreak
? "Go Sharkies!"

UK and US only looking better now because of their vaccination roll out.
very good point, but I thought the first outbreak where it spread right across Australia was the Ruby Princess (and which State was that again?)
Old 20-07-2021, 01:16 PM   #12489
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

South Australia into lockdown now:
  • South Australia will enter a seven-day lockdown from 6:00pm tonight
  • The only reasons to leave home will be to care for someone, for essential work, to purchase essential goods such as food, exercise with people from the same household and healthcare — including COVID testing and vaccination
  • Schools will be closed from tomorrow with a 24-hour transition period in place for teachers to arrange at-home learning.
  • Elective surgery is on hold and construction will not be allowed to go ahead
  • Support for businesses is expected to be announced tomorrow
  • It comes as health authorities confirm the outbreak is the Delta variant
  • A fifth positive case was recorded this morning — the man in his 60s attended The Greek on Halifax

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
Old 20-07-2021, 01:45 PM   #12490
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
very good point, but I thought the first outbreak where it spread right across Australia was the Ruby Princess (and which State was that again?)
I think it was. And it makes me think about the topic of "working together". If memory serves me right, at the time, all states did what they had to do to contain and eradicate, without any political blaming or sniping from any side.

The political **** fight started when Victoria had their 2nd wave. The narrative and rhetoric coming out of some corners, state and federal, was disgraceful. I tell ya, that had more of an impact on my mental health than the actual lockdown itself. It was almost like they were barracking for Vic to fail to score political points. I have much respect for NT, SA and TAS in remaining bipartisan and supportive throughout. I think WA and SA even helped Vic with contact tracing, as they are also now doing with NSW. In the end, we all want to work together, except for some small pockets.

Quote:
South Australia into lockdown now:
.......[/LIST]
2.5km limit for exercise travel, and no construction either. Its like everyone is trying to outdo Vic on how harsh they can lock down.

Rides (past and present)

Old 20-07-2021, 01:59 PM   #12491
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
Construction restrictions will be canned in a day or 2 apparently.
I suspect this rumour was a bit of opinion shopping by government acolytes. The “no construction” rules have been comprehensively tweaked such that much work can resume:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSW Government
…From Monday 12:01am on 19 July 2021, work at construction sites in Greater Sydney including the Blue Mountains, Central Coast, Wollongong and Shellharbour, is not to be carried out unless the work is urgently required
  • to ensure the safety or security of the construction site
  • to deal with environmental risks
  • to maintain and ensure the integrity of critical plant, equipment or assets, including partially completed works, that would otherwise deteriorate
  • to receive deliveries of supplies that would otherwise deteriorate
  • to maintain public utilities
  • to ensure the safe operation of existing transport infrastructure
  • by or on behalf of NSW Health in response to the COVID-19 pandemic
  • because of an emergency
Source
Old 20-07-2021, 02:16 PM   #12492
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
just so your on the right track Trev and not your track for its obvious as always.
Go Sharkies comment Scomo wanting to attend the first NRL match despite his own advice banning mass gatherings of more than 500 people which will take effect on Monday
We all got up in arms, another stoopid error on his part a Week prior to Ruby occuring FYI , your welcome comrad oops.
Old 20-07-2021, 02:36 PM   #12493
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The narrative and rhetoric coming out of some corners, state and federal, was disgraceful. I tell ya, that had more of an impact on my mental health than the actual lockdown itself. It was almost like they were barracking for Vic to fail to score political points.
I felt exactly the same - The Federal Treasurer has been the worst for sniping and it has been noticed by the Opposition and the Media, and he is a Melbournian. I think that is why he has been quiet of late.

I believe Dan Andrews has been totally professional in what he says about the Feds, however his stand-in James Melino was less that kind to the Feds lol

Quote:
I have much respect for NT, SA and TAS in remaining bipartisan and supportive throughout. I think WA and SA even helped Vic with contact tracing, as they are also now doing with NSW. In the end, we all want to work together, except for some small pockets.
It is interesting that certain sectors from NSW, both State and Federal were stating that NSW was 'Gold Standard', and yet both S.A. and Tassie (both Liberal States) were doing a better job - I couldn't make that out until I realised the power relationship between NSW and the Federal Libs - then it all made sense
2 users like this post:
Old 20-07-2021, 02:41 PM   #12494
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217 View Post
just so your on the right track Trev and not your track for its obvious as always.
Go Sharkies comment Scomo wanting to attend the first NRL match despite his own advice banning mass gatherings of more than 500 people which will take effect on Monday
We all got up in arms, another stoopid error on his part a Week prior to Ruby occuring FYI , your welcome comrad oops.
ahhh, yes I remember that now, being a Victorian the Rugby reference didn't for trigger me until you just posted that

BTW, I take a lot of offence to the dig about 'comrade' - would you like me to start calling you names? There are plenty for the opposite of socialist - I am happy to go there if you want

I did have a big laugh last night when the NSW Premier was photo'd out getting a coffee, despite her States requirements. She was wearing a hoodie so she wouldn't be noticed, but some-one took a pic

2 users like this post:
Old 20-07-2021, 02:54 PM   #12495
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Can we stop with the playground political posts. If it is directly associated with the topic fine, otherwise posts will be deleted.
Old 20-07-2021, 03:10 PM   #12496
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

no worries Trev, I'd love to but we'd be going against party rules

By the way re Gladys hoody, FYI its damn cold here, single digits overnight and just over 10 through the days, thats effin cold for us. Don't think its hiding one bit but you quote otherwise
I'm more surprised no evidence of a mask between "sips"......
Old 20-07-2021, 03:22 PM   #12497
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Somebody asked earlier what COVID testing is costing us. There have been various iterations of the MBS schedule but currently there are 3 claimable items based on where the test is conducted.

Item 69479: COVID-19 test undertaken for a private patient in a recognised (public) hospital or by a prescribed laboratory: schedule fee of $50.00.
Item 69480: COVID-19 test for any other patient undertaken in a private laboratory: schedule fee of $100.00.
Item 69501: COVID-19 test for essential workers, including staff of residential and in-home aged care providers in Victoria and interstate freight workers: schedule fee of $110.00.

Multiply that by the almost 23M tests conducted so far and it's a lot!

Private tests (like those required for some travel) range from $145-195 based on whether it's just a PCR test or PCR+serology.

Observatio Facta Rotae

3 users like this post:
Old 20-07-2021, 03:25 PM   #12498
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Further to my prior post about construction work in NSW, it’s audibly resumed here. One day. Just one day off.
Old 20-07-2021, 03:36 PM   #12499
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post
Somebody asked earlier what COVID testing is costing us. There have been various iterations of the MBS schedule but currently there are 3 claimable items based on where the test is conducted.

Item 69479: COVID-19 test undertaken for a private patient in a recognised (public) hospital or by a prescribed laboratory: schedule fee of $50.00.
Item 69480: COVID-19 test for any other patient undertaken in a private laboratory: schedule fee of $100.00.
Item 69501: COVID-19 test for essential workers, including staff of residential and in-home aged care providers in Victoria and interstate freight workers: schedule fee of $110.00.

Multiply that by the almost 23M tests conducted so far and it's a lot!

Private tests (like those required for some travel) range from $145-195 based on whether it's just a PCR test or PCR+serology.
Thanks Russ! Was me asking. Wow! So that is the cost for kit and analysis to get result? Do you know which company is doing it?

Rides (past and present)

Old 20-07-2021, 03:44 PM   #12500
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Laverty are doing some in NSW, including parts of the badlands. That nearest to me is Clinical Labs.
2 users like this post:
Old 20-07-2021, 03:50 PM   #12501
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Quote:
Thanks Russ! Was me asking. Wow! So that is the cost for kit and analysis to get result? Do you know which company is doing it?
I think everyone is doing them. It's unclear whether the cost of the test kit is included as that's just the rate the path labs can charge to administer the test and provide the result because I think the Government is supplying the kits which I believe cost $39 each.

Observatio Facta Rotae

2 users like this post:
Old 20-07-2021, 03:51 PM   #12502
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

My tests are being done by 4cyte - and their turn around is same day or next day.

Got tested yesterday around 5:20pm and results came to me just before 2pm today.

Happy with that seeing as I live in a hotspot and for the first time yesterday there were long long lines for both cars and walk ins.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
2 users like this post:
Old 20-07-2021, 03:58 PM   #12503
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks. Looking to rebalace the portfolio and was wondering if there was a specific listed company I should be looking at...

Rides (past and present)

2 users like this post:
Old 20-07-2021, 04:26 PM   #12504
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

One other thing I’m finding frustrating about the present NSW restrictions is that I can’t identify a specific contact point for inquiry.

If this drags on much past end of July I will need to address maintenance issues on my property, 450km away. Having had theft, water theft and petty vandalism at times, I prefer to be there unpredictably as well as predictably.

I’m sure, if I just drive out there with a new gate, posts, tools, glyphosate etc I will be pulled over at some point by the wallopers. Who presumably call someone else for guidance in such matters. I’d like to access that point of arbitration beforehand, but dragging through relevant websites it’s all a bit of a recursive loop.
3 users like this post:
Old 20-07-2021, 05:13 PM   #12505
zilo
BANNED

If you don't stop the planes you won't stop the virus.

How can you get rid of the virus if you don't stop the planes?

If you don't eat your meat you can't have any pudding
How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?
-pink floyd

(It's the red triangle with exclamation mark on the left)
Old 20-07-2021, 06:08 PM   #12506
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo View Post
If you don't stop the planes you won't stop the virus.

How can you get rid of the virus if you don't stop the planes?

Last edited by Itsme; 20-07-2021 at 06:16 PM.
4 users like this post:
Old 20-07-2021, 06:41 PM   #12507
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

So… Experts trusted by the ABC are predicting Sydney to remain under thumb until sometime in September.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-07-...drop/100307698

Extrapolation from that, suggests that NSW will get the cold shoulder from other states until a few weeks later again.

Last edited by Citroënbender; 20-07-2021 at 06:42 PM. Reason: Erreur de spellement
Old 20-07-2021, 06:52 PM   #12508
snap0964
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

3 users like this post:
Old 20-07-2021, 07:21 PM   #12509
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What an absolute crap show. Greg Hunt announcing that millions of federal support dollars have already hit Victorian business bank accounts, but the bloke that actually does the approval for the commonwealth said no Vic businesses have been approved yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
One other thing I’m finding frustrating about the present NSW restrictions is that I can’t identify a specific contact point for inquiry..........
Hey Citro, probably best to call the local cop shop and get some advice. If you get a positive response, note down the name of who you spoke to and the time, and also give your name. My experience is that they are generally pretty fair, but the 450km might be a deal breaker, especially if you are coming out from one of the 3 LGAs.

I've had to travel outside the "limit" a number of times during Vic lockdowns for legit purposes, plenty of cop cars patrolling the streets but I've never been randomly stopped. They have more important things to worry about. As long as you don't blatantly flout the rules, like having 4 people in the car with stereo banging out like you are going for a joy ride. But that 450km is probably going to be your sore point. Good luck.

Rides (past and present)

Old 20-07-2021, 08:52 PM   #12510
Pis-ton broke
Banned

Commonwealth’s rejection of home COVID-19 test kit reveals a ‘lack of forward thinking’
Australia has developed a home test kit, the fda has approval it, and its used in usa. but oz authorizes are not interested.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tS7M2PixSkE
Closed Thread