Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-01-2015, 08:14 AM   #91
Sioso
irregular member

Default Re: MOTOR Feb 2015: XR8 vs SSV Redline + XR6T vs SS

The tolerances in these cars aren't that good to have identical 80-120km/h times in either Fords or Holdens.

There have always been cars screwed together a little better or worse than others.

Pick another two Commodores and it could easily be the other way around.
Sioso is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2015, 08:30 AM   #92
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
Winton is not a fast circuit, there no 'big' straights. Tander in a VE2 GTS couldn't even hit 180kph. I think you need to rethink your assumptions about Winton.

I did three brake tests in the FGX XR8 down Winton's straight a few weeks ago. From standing start to stop was doing 175kph. A couple of people saw 180kph.

Given this was done without any corner exit speed 180+ should have been done easily by Tander.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 03-01-2015, 01:36 PM   #93
701let

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK_I6T View Post
Is this thread only about performance?

I think its safe to say the xr8/xr6t have the ss/ss redline covered

Those who have driven the FGX xr8, when you jumped in did you have a look at the big panel of plastic around the gear selector? It's huge, the finish is in a cheap unfinished plastic look and not a button in sight? In a car for 2015 I find it extraordinary..

Sure the b series don't have any buttons either in that area but it's disguised a hell of a lot better with the zf panel larger in b series and the change of colour on the surround.. It's also not so large and flat an area like FGX

Have a look at the FGX in that area, deplorable

Look at the ss redline and you won't see that sort of finish. Look at an Audi or Mercedes in that area, buttons and knobs everywhere in the area your hands are likely to rest but in 2015 ford gives a plane Jane bare panel in a unfinished plastic look... I was completely stunned.

I was sitting there thinking does this look like $60k worth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypez
To be fair, it's a different price point and thus different buyer (as you pointed out). GT vs HSV is fair but you are right, more HSV fans in this country. See my earlier example of iPhone...

Also remember the SS can be had for around $40k. That's a lot cheaper than the XR8 so it will continue to outsell the XR8. Would be interesting to see SSV Redline vs XR8 in 2015.
Mate judging by the lap times of that ssv redline I wouldn't rule the SS out performance wise. Only performance area it is behind in is in a straight line
701let is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2015, 02:57 PM   #94
Iggle Piggle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensationFG8 View Post
Actually was reading an article about Craig Lowndes and this very topic was covered.

“My driving style comes from my open wheel background,” Lowndes said.

“It is more about mid-corner speed and that is how I drive. It has helped at times and it has also hindered.” Lowndes revealed the biggest challenge of his career was moving to the Dunlop tyre after spending years on the mid-corner friendly Bridgestone. “That was tough when Dunlop came in as the control tyre. I had to learn to drive to the tyre. Before that, on the Bridgestone, it suited my style with the mid-corner speed and grip.

“The Dunlop was more about braking and accelerating. That was a huge change in my style and approach to racing.”
Just FYI - those aren't the tyres the road going cars ran back then nor run now.

Having (comparatively) insufficient grip stock is a lot like having (comparatively) insufficient power stock. Stock is stock.
Iggle Piggle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2015, 04:16 PM   #95
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by arronm View Post
I cant even sneeze in .13 seconds. Maybe their timing equipment isn't accurate down to 100 milliseconds

MOTOR have been using the same Racelogic GPS timing gear that I have. It defaults to the nearest one hundredth of a second and when I've checked it's distance measurement on a number of occasions, it's been within 1/3 of one percent of the true distance.

Also at WSID it's time measurement from 60 feet to the end of the quarter was within 1 hundredth of a second of the track timing (which shows times to the nearest thousandth of a second) in run 1, and in runs 2 and 3 it was around 3 hundredths of a second pessimistic, in other words the car was fractionally faster than the Performance Box said it was.

I'd certainly expect their rolling 80 to 120 times to be either spot on, or no more than 1 or 2 hundredths on either side of the exact figure.
2242100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 03-01-2015, 04:43 PM   #96
SensationFG8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggle Piggle View Post
Just FYI - those aren't the tyres the road going cars ran back then nor run now.

Having (comparatively) insufficient grip stock is a lot like having (comparatively) insufficient power stock. Stock is stock.
Are you sure I could've sworn v8 super car tyres were used on road going cars (/sarcasm). The quote was purely to illustrate the difference a tyre can make.

To me changing a tyre which is a consumable is not the same as changing an engine, but each to their own.
Sensation FG XR8 290kW NA V8, 6spd Automatic

Current Rides
Octane GTF SC V8, 6spd Manual, Manta 3" X pipes and hotdogs
Starlight Lotus Evora S 258kW SC V6, 6spd Manual
SensationFG8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2015, 05:32 PM   #97
HULK_I6T
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bent8 View Post
Not enough knobs to play with down there hey Hulk.....

While your typical SSV owner fumbles for the right launch mode and accidentally engages the electic handbrake, the XR8 will half way down the drag strip !
actually no knobs at all!! None!

Its like going out on the town and everything is closed for the night
HULK_I6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2015, 06:20 PM   #98
Bent8
Long live the GT !

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK_I6T View Post
actually no knobs at all!! None!

Its like going out on the town and everything is closed for the night
How devastating for you !

"Whatya think of me car, XR Falcon, 351 Blown Cleveland running Motec injection and runnin' on methanol... goes pretty hard too, got heaps of torque for chucking burnouts, IT'S UNREAL !!" - Poida
Bent8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2015, 07:40 PM   #99
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe View Post
Given this was done without any corner exit speed 180+ should have been done easily by Tander.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GmTothGkqc
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2015, 08:05 PM   #100
701let

Quote:
Are you sure I could've sworn v8 super car tyres were used on road going cars (/sarcasm). The quote was purely to illustrate the difference a tyre can make.

To me changing a tyre which is a consumable is not the same as changing an engine, but each to their own.
A set of potenzas will cost about $2000-$2400 with alignment. You can drive in drive out at Hi torque and get a cam package for your ssv for $2600 - $2800 inc Otr.

Stock is stock mate too many variables otherwise
701let is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2015, 08:16 PM   #101
SensationFG8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 701let View Post
A set of potenzas will cost about $2000-$2400 with alignment. You can drive in drive out at Hi torque and get a cam package for your ssv for $2600 - $2800 inc Otr.

In your opinion, in my opinion tyres are a consumable that once used are replaced with whatever suits. I don't disagree with you having that view, I simply don't share it.

Edit: the guy buying the cams will be out 4k when he buys his replacement tyres, the guy only replacing his tyres is still only out 2k as well just FYI...

Current Rides
6 users like this post:
Old 03-01-2015, 08:32 PM   #102
Sioso
irregular member

Only a couple of apex speeds mentioned.

Turn 4 apex speed:
SSV-R - 88.14km/h
SS - 85.93km/h
XR6T - 84.68km/h
XR8 - 84.40km/h

Turn 9 apex speed:
XR6T - 54.91km/h
SS - 54.66km/h
SSV-R - 54.50km/h
XR8 - 52.96km/h
Sioso is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2015, 08:38 PM   #103
Bent8
Long live the GT !

Quote:
Originally Posted by 701let View Post

Not quite the same... putting stickier tyres on the XR8 means it can put down the available power better to improve performance/handling.

Like has been said, it's a consumable product like getting better brake pads or filling the tank with 100 octane.

Comparing that to getting cams for an SSV is basically an aftermarket mod which boosts top end power but also voids your engine warranty in most cases.

"Whatya think of me car, XR Falcon, 351 Blown Cleveland running Motec injection and runnin' on methanol... goes pretty hard too, got heaps of torque for chucking burnouts, IT'S UNREAL !!" - Poida
2 users like this post:
Old 03-01-2015, 09:07 PM   #104
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

More time is made up in the fast corners if a high corner speed can be maintained.

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
arronm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2015, 09:22 PM   #105
Iggle Piggle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bent8 View Post
Not quite the same... putting stickier tyres on the XR8 means it can put down the available power better to improve performance/handling.
Oh, I see - it improves performance, whereas cam and OTR does what exactly?

Suspension components wear out too - why not fit stickier tyres and also shockworks suspension and aftermarket bushes etc to further improve the performance and handling of the "stock" Falcon. Surely bushes are a consumable.

Don't see anyone disputing XR8 is faster in a straight line - seems to be commonly accepted, and the timed runs support this.

What appears to be in dispute is whether the Commodore is better when it comes to handling, braking, putting its power down, etc, which is what the lap times around Winton seem to indicate.

Some seem to think it is purely a matter of tyres and would like a comparison where they both run the same tyres - but if the only "stock-maintaining-modification" was fitting better tyres to the Falcon wouldn't the Falcon then need to smash the Redline's laptime given its power advantage? Wouldn't the true test be same tyres and have them also run the same power too, so the only variables are suspension and chassis?

Think I am starting to understand why Territory is a Falcon wagon but a Commodore ute is not a Commodore.

Holden put better quality tyres on as stock items to improve handling and ability to put power down - it is one area they have an advantage. Why does that advantage need to be removed because Ford do not do the same even though they have every opportunity to? FPR had the wider R-Spec rear wheel tyre/package to improve over the 'standard' GT...if you wanted to compare the performance of a 'standard' GT to the performance of an R-Spec do you need to use same tyres on each? No, because the wider rears is one of the advantages that makes the R-Spec an R-Spec.

Last edited by Iggle Piggle; 03-01-2015 at 09:32 PM.
4 users like this post:
Old 03-01-2015, 09:37 PM   #106
Bent8
Long live the GT !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggle Piggle View Post
Oh, I see - it improves performance, whereas cam and OTR does what exactly?

Suspension components wear out too - why not fit stickier tyres and also shockworks suspension and aftermarket bushes etc to further improve the performance and handling of the "stock" Falcon. Surely bushes are a consumable.

Don't see anyone disputing XR8 is faster in a straight line - seems to be commonly accepted, and the timed runs support this.

What appears to be in dispute is whether the Commodore is better when it comes to handling, braking, putting its power down, etc, which is what the lap times around Winton seem to indicate.

Some seem to think it is purely a matter of tyres and would like a comparison where they both run the same tyres - but if the only "stock-maintaining-modification" was fitting better tyres to the Falcon wouldn't the Falcon then need to smash the Redline's laptime given its power advantage? Wouldn't the true test be same tyres and have them also run the same power too, so the only variables are suspension and chassis?

Think I am starting to understand why Territory is a Falcon wagon but a Commodore ute is not a Commodore.
You're missing my point... what I'm saying is that changing the brand of tyre is not the same as fitting cams to your engine...

Sure, suspension components wear out too but that usually takes a few years of heavy use, unlike tyres which can be "worn out" in 10min if the driver feels like doing an extended burnout.

SSV has track ready suspension and tyres but lacks in the power dept while the XR8 has 500hp but lacks the grip to put that power to good use.

If both cars had the same power output, tyre selection will have little effect on track times and cams would be the way to go.

Bottom line is, the XR8 needs better rubber to reach it's true potential.

4 users like this post:
Old 03-01-2015, 10:52 PM   #107
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

The Dunlops on the GTF got to 46 PSI starting from 38 when cold at the North Circuit at SMP. Anyone who knows that track knows that thats a huge increase! I dropped them down to 39 PSI HOT and the car just transformed! I was 3 seconds a lap quicker! Thats a huge gain! Winton will see the tyre pressures get even higher! I wouldnt be surprised if the Dunlops got to close to 50 PSI after 2 laps. Would have handled like a dog!

I doubt the muppets doing these tests take the time to check these things. I didnt see it being done or mentioned in the other test.
kypez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 03-01-2015, 11:01 PM   #108
graphicgoose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

To be fair though, they probably didn't check those things with the Holdens either...
graphicgoose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2015, 11:09 PM   #109
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by graphicgoose View Post
To be fair though, they probably didn't check those things with the Holdens either...
Yes, but the wrong pressures will affect the XR8 more with the higher weight and power and an already lesser tyre.
4 users like this post:
Old 03-01-2015, 11:11 PM   #110
graphicgoose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You make it sound like a needy girlfriend...way too much effort for the momentary reward when things are all ok.
3 users like this post:
Old 03-01-2015, 11:15 PM   #111
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
You make it sound like a needy girlfriend...way too much effort for the momentary reward when things are all ok.
Sure... I prefer the girl who's hard to get rather than the town bicycle...
Old 03-01-2015, 11:20 PM   #112
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypez View Post
That's it buddy!

Ford really should've put better tires on the last XR8, no if's or but's hey!

cheer's, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)

Last edited by Maka; 03-01-2015 at 11:29 PM.
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-01-2015, 11:25 PM   #113
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Would be interesting to see how both cars performed if you swapped engines. Could the VF handle the same with more weight in the front and faster entry speeds?
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2015, 11:37 PM   #114
graphicgoose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypez View Post
Touche', but they're as easy as each other to get, just that one's high maintenance once she's pulled you in...The other is easy to live with, isn't needy and doesn't require your full attention to make the relationship work. High maintenance chicks ain't worth the hassle most of the time.
Old 03-01-2015, 11:40 PM   #115
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Touche', but they're as easy as each other to get, just that one's high maintenance once she's pulled you in...The other is easy to live with, isn't needy and doesn't require your full attention to make the relationship work. High maintenance chicks ain't worth the hassle most of the time.
I guess we are different that way... I love the challenge! Never wanted to settle in life... never will...
Old 03-01-2015, 11:42 PM   #116
graphicgoose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Haha fair enough. Different strokes and all that...
Old 03-01-2015, 11:45 PM   #117
SensationFG8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The high maintenance ones almost always look better too ;)

That's why they're high maintenance.

Current Rides
Old 03-01-2015, 11:49 PM   #118
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
The high maintenance ones almost always look better too ;)

That's why they're high maintenance.
Well, you cant not have something special about you and be high maintenance!
Old 04-01-2015, 10:56 AM   #119
Iggle Piggle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When the tyres on a press car are shagged, why do they fit a new set of the OEM tyres? Why don't they fit stickier tyres before handing the cars back to the press for evaluations of stock performance?

I know tyres are consumable and can be replaced with whatever suits the owner, but why are we assuming the owner of the Falcon stumps up more coin for some decent quality tyres?

Why don't we assume he/she is a tight **** who replaces their OEM Dunlops with the cheapest tyres they can get off eBay that have a tread pattern shaped like chicken-in-a-biscuit?

Or would it be best if we assume the Ford guy fits Nittos and the Holden guy fits retreads?

We don't know who will fit what to which car for whatever reason in the future, so maybe the easiest way is to continue to compare the cars in stock factory trim.

I agree tyres are consumable and are an easy fix - but isn't that the point, that some feel they need to "fix" the stock grip levels of the XR8 (just as some feel they need to "fix" the stock power output of their SS/SSV/Redline)?

Some things might be easier to "fix" than others, but is that justification to change OEM equipment on only one vehicle to address its (perceived) shortcomings while leaving the other completely stock?

For the record, I don't think the Redline is slow but I don't think it has the straight line speed of the XR8. Likewise, I don't think the XR8 is an ill-handling no brakes bucket, but I don't think it handles or brakes as good as the Redline. Just because each car has shortcomings when compared to the other does not mean each car sucks in that area - it just means the other car does that particular thing better. Something that is great is great...compare it to something that is exceptional and it will lose the comparison, but that does not mean it is no longer great.

Last edited by Iggle Piggle; 04-01-2015 at 11:04 AM.
8 users like this post:
Old 04-01-2015, 11:56 AM   #120
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor220 View Post
Would be interesting to see how both cars performed if you swapped engines. Could the VF handle the same with more weight in the front and faster entry speeds?
Research the GTS. It can more than handle the extra grunt and perform likewise. I assume the 6.2L blown GM V8 engine is heavier than Fords possibly as well.
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post