Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-01-2014, 12:57 PM   #91
fgpsi
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Holden SS-V Redline Ute vs FPV GT 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitroxr6ute View Post
Very tempting, opinions on colour?

That colour is a bit bland IMHO. Why not look at the blue that was offered when they released the GT 335 RSpec ?

I also loveeee this colour in the gt's. Get rid of the tacky stickers though. It's a bit out there but hey I like that type of thing in Aussie muscle cars.

fgpsi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-01-2014, 01:38 PM   #92
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnydep View Post
Comparing a ute and a sedan

The SS-V ute has been described as a "sports car with large boot", but it's still a ute.

You need to work out what you need in a car - road trips, passengers, load, work, modifications, etc.

My SS-V ute was a work related purchase, and it's perfect for that purpose. Though I do love driving it every chance I get, and it does attract attention - great for business.

The GT... well its a GT, what more can you say
Meh...I cross shopped territory, ranger and g6et. All serious options. Totally different cars but all would have fulfilled my needs and wants....except comfort and power won out
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2014, 01:55 PM   #93
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFUTE View Post
Meh...I cross shopped territory, ranger and g6et. All serious options. Totally different cars but all would have fulfilled my needs and wants....except comfort and power won out
Yeah, but the Terri, Ranger and G6ET all have major things in common - 4 doors, 5+ seats, passenger bus.

especially concerning their love of the motor vehicle.

http://www.fireservicecollege.ac.uk
johnydep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2014, 02:01 PM   #94
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnydep View Post
Yeah, but the Terri, Ranger and G6ET all have major things in common - 4 doors, 5+ seats, passenger bus.

And I didn't need 5doors 4seats or a passenger bus
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2014, 12:57 PM   #95
Nitroxr6ute
Starter Motor

Unfortunately, I've missed out on the 2013 Swift GT and the dealer has claimed that all of his allocation for 2014 FPV's have been filled, so I assume I've missed out entirely there. He did mention about the special sticker pack GT's but could not give me a price. I have narrowed my selection down to the GT, although the F6 from what I've heard for 55k is serious bang for buck and something I'm yet to drive. Would it be wrong for me to consider the F6 over the GT ha? Is the less weight in the F6 noticeable over the Gt? Could anyone recommend a good FPV dealership in QLD, I would still like to be able to get a 2013 plate in either the red,blue or green with sat-nav & leather with the 2.9% interest rate but I understand getting the right colour/specs might prove difficult now.
Nitroxr6ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2014, 06:11 PM   #96
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Bryan Byrt Ford still have a few. Black and white in auto and blue is manual. Talk to Senior the sales manager (07) 3245 9000
2024.50 Mustang Darkhorse 6M Blue Ember + Appearance pack ETA Jan 25.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2014, 11:51 AM   #97
MercuryT
Banned

After reading more about the Mustang (I want one!), I wouldn't be buying either of these.

'Falcodores' are dying a slow death and have been for some time. I'm surprised by the interest in the "buy the last FPV thread" too, even being a Ford site.

The resale on all these cars will be absolutely shocking, sentiment will account for only for a very small part of the market. Still, if being bought just to keep for 10+ years what does it matter I guess, and each to their own.
MercuryT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2014, 12:06 PM   #98
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Supply and demand. If you can longer buy something new, demand may increase.
I'd get the GT over the ute any time.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2014, 01:26 AM   #99
Nitroxr6ute
Starter Motor

Found a GT in Victoria with leather and sat nav with very little k's on the clock, Has anyone had much to do with buying cars interstate?
Old 11-02-2014, 07:41 AM   #100
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercuryT View Post
After reading more about the Mustang (I want one!), I wouldn't be buying either of these.
Sure Mustangs are great (particularly if you're having a mid-life crisis), but they're not much chop if you want something slightly practical.

Quote:
'Falcodores' are dying a slow death and have been for some time.
The point being? Buy a Mazda3, it seems to be the going thing? Eat faeces, trillions of flies can't be wrong?

Quote:
I'm surprised by the interest in the "buy the last FPV thread" too, even being a Ford site.
Ford enthusiasts on an Australian Ford forum are interested in the last ever series of Australian performance Fords? This surprises you? I'm not sure what to say other than it's really not that surprising.

Quote:
The resale on all these cars will be absolutely shocking, sentiment will account for only for a very small part of the market. Still, if being bought just to keep for 10+ years what does it matter I guess, and each to their own.
The vast majority of new cars fall within a few points either side of 50% residual value after 3 years, FPVs are no different. If you want shocking resale losses, buy a pricey Euro.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 11-02-2014, 08:12 AM   #101
Rob 351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Found a GT in Victoria with leather and sat nav with very little k's on the clock, Has anyone had much to do with buying cars interstate?
Should be no problem, if your in NSW they will cancel the Vic rego & give you a 24hr pass allowing you to bring it home. From there you blue slip it & get 12 mths NSW rego.
Old 11-02-2014, 07:31 PM   #102
Nitroxr6ute
Starter Motor

Below is the quote I was given, would the stamp duty or registration duty they call it now in QLD be about $2500? Looks like the car might turn out to be more costly from interstate excluding the freight?

Please find detailed below our quotation as requested. We trust that these figures meet with your approval.
FORD FG FPV GT MK11 5.0L SED S/CHARGED 5.0L V8 6 SPEED
AUTOMATIC. MODEL: 18236ZA
VEHICLE PRICE 61,908.95
2YRS/175,000KM PROTECTION PLAN Included
transport to qld 800.00
Dealer Delivery Included
Subtotal 62,708.95
Discount 6,018.88-
GST 5,669.01
Luxury Car Tax 612.92
VEHICLE TOTAL 62,972.00
LESS SETTLEMENTTOTAL AMOUNT PAYABLE 62,972.00
YOURS SINCERELY,
Old 11-02-2014, 09:25 PM   #103
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Just buy one locally!

So much easier.
Old 11-02-2014, 09:35 PM   #104
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Go see Senior. Bryan Byrt.

He will look after you!
Old 11-02-2014, 09:44 PM   #105
Nitroxr6ute
Starter Motor

I had rang up Bryran Byrt yesterday, but they did not have the colour I had wanted only two octane ones left with leather and no sat nav =(.
Old 11-02-2014, 10:30 PM   #106
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They can build you one.
Old 11-02-2014, 10:47 PM   #107
Nitroxr6ute
Starter Motor

Thats for sure, but you miss out on the 2.9% interest rate. Will work it out tomorrow hopefully.
Old 13-02-2014, 07:06 PM   #108
MercuryT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
Sure Mustangs are great (particularly if you're having a mid-life crisis), but they're not much chop if you want something slightly practical.

The point being? Buy a Mazda3, it seems to be the going thing? Eat faeces, trillions of flies can't be wrong?

Ford enthusiasts on an Australian Ford forum are interested in the last ever series of Australian performance Fords? This surprises you? I'm not sure what to say other than it's really not that surprising.

The vast majority of new cars fall within a few points either side of 50% residual value after 3 years, FPVs are no different. If you want shocking resale losses, buy a pricey Euro.
Mustangs are no more a 'mid-life' crisis car compared to FPV IMO - both are performance and looks driven and far from "practical". Arguably Stangs are more fit for purpose.

It is surprising that there is interest in cars that will be (and arguably already) dead, being a Ford site or otherwise. I don't really see the point in buying one? Unless an attempt at a collectable (all good if so, no worries) it will have terrible resale as our market simply don't value them (wrongly IMO).

Euros generally have far better resale than Falcodores (including FPV/HSV Falcodores)- ours usually hover around 35% at best after 3 or so years. Most Euros are higher, rightly or wrongly.

They are not my type of car and I intend (and look forward to) buying a used FPV. FG F6 and Gt's will be very cheap in a year or two. I love my Fords, and have no interest in arguing with you so i'm over and out on this one!!

Last edited by MercuryT; 13-02-2014 at 07:35 PM.
MercuryT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2014, 08:03 PM   #109
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
Mustangs are no more a 'mid-life' crisis car compared to FPV IMO - both are performance and looks driven and far from "practical". Arguably Stangs are more fit for purpose.

It is surprising that there is interest in cars that will be (and arguably already) dead, being a Ford site or otherwise. I don't really see the point in buying one? Unless an attempt at a collectable (all good if so, no worries) it will have terrible resale as our market simply don't value them (wrongly IMO).

Euros generally have far better resale than Falcodores (including FPV/HSV Falcodores)- ours usually hover around 35% at best after 3 or so years. Most Euros are higher, rightly or wrongly.

They are not my type of car and I intend (and look forward to) buying a used FPV. FG F6 and Gt's will be very cheap in a year or two. I love my Fords, and have no interest in arguing with you so i'm over and out on this one!!
You can't argue with me because it's clear you don't know what you're talking about. The OP started this thread to get thoughts on a Redline Holden vs a GT and there has been a good discussion so far. Then you come along and contribute absolutely nothing by telling him not to buy either because "Falcodores" have been dying a slow death, you're surprised that anyone wants them (even on a Ford forum) and have now topped it off by making false claims about resale. I really wonder why you bothered posting at all. But I'll respond to your points because they are ridiculous and I'll sleep better at night knowing I've set you straight.

Firstly, a large sedan that fits 5 adults in comfort, with a large boot and good towing capacity isn't practical according to you? And you're going to put it in the same practicality category as a 2 door coupé with a tiny boot that struggles to fit 4 adults and can't tow more than 500kg. You're trolling me aren't you.

Secondly, being surprised that members of a Ford forum are interested in Fords is ridiculous. Your argument that "Falcodores" are dead is missing the point. The cars may be dead to the fleet market and soccer mums, but the enthusiast market for local large sedans never died off. Look at how many V8 Commodores Holden sells- even when petrol prices spiked, demand for V8s actually increased. Then look at HSV's sales numbers each year. And for a much smaller operation, FPV does quite well too. Don't let the fact that families and fleets aren't bulk buying XTs anymore fool you into thinking there isn't a large enthusiast market for the performance models. Try buying a V8 Redline Commodore right now, there's a 3-4 month wait because Holden are receiving more orders than they can handle. Yes GTs are going out of production, if anything that's going to increase interest in the final model, not decrease it for crying out loud. Whether you personally see the point in buying one is irrelevant.

And Euros. Firstly, your 35% residual claims about FPVs are ridiculous. And secondly, notice I said "resale losses". Look up the numbers on a 2011 GT vs a 2011 C63 for instance. Since purchase you would have lost ~$20k on the GT and a whopping ~$50k on the Merc. The Merc's residual is currently in the 60% range, so is the GT's- not the ridiculous 35% that you claim. According to you, 2011 335 GTs should be selling for $25k right now.

Last edited by Dave R; 13-02-2014 at 08:15 PM.
Old 14-02-2014, 07:54 AM   #110
Rodge
Banned

I'm with Adrenaline on the depreciation thing. High end Euro's are a real shocker, FPV's not nearly as bad.

Curious what sort of rwkw numbers we're seeing on average out of V8 Holden's.
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2014, 08:32 AM   #111
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

Quote:
I bought my RSpec from Melbourne and drove it home. The quote they have given you looks a little high. $61k is where they should be maximum on an interstate buyer as they dont have to register the thing. There quote is nearly the drive away price with the current offers for a local buyer.
I opted to drive the car back myself as I would hate to think how the car would have been treated during transport. Make sure you get the dealer to take a photo of the cars Odo the day of it getting on the truck so make sure its not picking up more Ks whilst in transit. Also check all the undersides of the car once it comes off of the truck for scrapes as well as other damage.
If you drive it back yourself you will be doing so with no number plates which I thought was asking for trouble. I didn't get any, infact I got tailed by an undercover cop in Dubbo who did a U-turn to follow me but pulled out 2 streets later. I was also the only car in a string at Goondawindi that got waved through an RBT. You will have a permit that states you have to take the most direct route home (so no pulling in at Bathurst) and your cant drive the car after sunset. I dont recall a time limit being on the permit as its was self explanatory that you had to drive straight home. So you cant pick up the car on the outskirts of Melbourne and then drive into the city to do some sightseeing and stay over night. Once back home you are allowed 24hrs to take the car for registration at QLD Transport and to get the number plates on. I drove around the Northside all day without plates and it was fine before putting them on that evening. You need to get all your CTP sorted before you pick up the car.
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

rancidpunx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 14-02-2014, 09:38 AM   #112
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodge View Post
Curious what sort of rwkw numbers we're seeing on average out of V8 Holden's.
Just a handful more than the VE (electric steering), so you'd be looking at low 200s for the 6.0L, highest I've seen so far was around the 230 mark which may have been a happy dyno. So a 6.0L Redline would realistically be 80-100rwkw shy of the GT and the difference in torque would be even more embarrassing.
This user likes this post:
Old 14-02-2014, 10:09 AM   #113
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Firstly, a large sedan that fits 5 adults in comfort, with a large boot and good towing capacity isn't practical according to you?
COmpared to Mustang, it is. But honestly, if practicality is important, a sedan is not the best choice, especially Falcon. Boot may be wide but its shallow, I could never carry anything useful in it bigger than a suitcase. Forget about getting even small furniture home, and the rear door opening was too small to use the back seat option too. The Golf GTI and Renault RS250 I used to have were infinitely more useful.

I bought an R8 for one reason and one reason alone. The noise. There's just nothing else quite like it, is there?
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2014, 11:56 AM   #114
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
COmpared to Mustang, it is. But honestly, if practicality is important, a sedan is not the best choice, especially Falcon. Boot may be wide but its shallow, I could never carry anything useful in it bigger than a suitcase. Forget about getting even small furniture home, and the rear door opening was too small to use the back seat option too. The Golf GTI and Renault RS250 I used to have were infinitely more useful.

I bought an R8 for one reason and one reason alone. The noise. There's just nothing else quite like it, is there?
Hmm, well if all you do is carry awkwardly tall objects, I most certainly agree that a hatchback is excellent. But not many people face that issue on a regular basis. I guess practicality is a bit of a moving target, there's going to be a different standard based on who you ask and what their needs are. But there's no denying that as an all-rounder, Falcons are hugely practical. They seat 5 in space and comfort, the boot is huge (particularly when you fold the seats down, it can fit ridiculously long items) and importantly you can haul heavy loads- there's really not much it can't do. For instance, I can hook up my ski boat, fit all of the gear in the boot and go out for the day with 4 mates in absolute comfort. The only cars with that kind of ability are 4WDs and large sedans. Yet the sedan also doubles as a performance car, how good is that. How could anybody call a car that can do all of that impractical?

Certainly agree about the R8.

Last edited by Dave R; 14-02-2014 at 12:01 PM.
Old 14-02-2014, 07:42 PM   #115
Nitroxr6ute
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rancidpunx View Post
I bought my RSpec from Melbourne and drove it home. The quote they have given you looks a little high. $61k is where they should be maximum on an interstate buyer as they dont have to register the thing. There quote is nearly the drive away price with the current offers for a local buyer.
I opted to drive the car back myself as I would hate to think how the car would have been treated during transport. Make sure you get the dealer to take a photo of the cars Odo the day of it getting on the truck so make sure its not picking up more Ks whilst in transit. Also check all the undersides of the car once it comes off of the truck for scrapes as well as other damage.
If you drive it back yourself you will be doing so with no number plates which I thought was asking for trouble. I didn't get any, infact I got tailed by an undercover cop in Dubbo who did a U-turn to follow me but pulled out 2 streets later. I was also the only car in a string at Goondawindi that got waved through an RBT. You will have a permit that states you have to take the most direct route home (so no pulling in at Bathurst) and your cant drive the car after sunset. I dont recall a time limit being on the permit as its was self explanatory that you had to drive straight home. So you cant pick up the car on the outskirts of Melbourne and then drive into the city to do some sightseeing and stay over night. Once back home you are allowed 24hrs to take the car for registration at QLD Transport and to get the number plates on. I drove around the Northside all day without plates and it was fine before putting them on that evening. You need to get all your CTP sorted before you pick up the car.

Yeah I thought it might of been a bit overpriced, what should I be paying for a 2013 GT with Leather and Sat Nav? $58800 without on roads delivered I had thought? In the quote it also states 2 bonus years/175,000km warranty through the dealer but since Im interstate I wont be able to use this, but it looks like they're trying to charge me for it anyway ha...Yeah I would of probably drove it him myself but work commitments make this quite hard
Old 26-02-2014, 04:09 PM   #116
Nitroxr6ute
Starter Motor

Talking Re: Holden SS-V Redline Ute vs FPV GT 335

After much discussion, today I have put down a deposit on a new 2013 Plated Mars Red GT with leather and sat nav. Should have it sometime next week. Feeling pretty stoked!
Old 26-02-2014, 04:51 PM   #117
FormulaFG
Lurking......
Donating Member1

Good on you mate. You made the right choice.

Except for the colour :P
FormulaFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2014, 05:11 PM   #118
Nitroxr6ute
Starter Motor

After all the comparisons between the Redline and GT it came down to the most important ingredient of them all and that's the up and go of that effortless engine. Fair enough the Redline has it in the bag for features, but the majority of them meant to me "oh yeah i'd probably use that maybe once in a blue moon" I'm so happy I can now say I own a GT after many years of wanting one. My old man had a GT-HO Phase 2 back in the day and reluctantly sold it, but now the legacy will live on! Thanks everyone for all your input

Last edited by Nitroxr6ute; 26-02-2014 at 05:40 PM.
5 users like this post:
Old 26-02-2014, 06:23 PM   #119
Rob 351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Congrats Nitro, can't wait to see some pics in Mars Red. Should look the goods I reckon!
Old 26-02-2014, 08:29 PM   #120
chookaradley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Just a handful more than the VE (electric steering), so you'd be looking at low 200s for the 6.0L, highest I've seen so far was around the 230 mark which may have been a happy dyno. So a 6.0L Redline would realistically be 80-100rwkw shy of the GT and the difference in torque would be even more embarrassing.
Im interested to know, why does the holdens lack of kw power compared to its falcon stablemate not translate to a defecit in acceleration times?. By all accounts the VF is lineball with an xr6t??. Is it purely superior chasis/grip??
chookaradley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post