Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-08-2014, 02:19 PM   #91
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Default Re: Calypso Green XA Falcon GT HO Phase 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hall View Post
Thank you I came on her to share a story that happened to me..I never knew what happened to the GTHO IV after that day...I never knew it had been repainted. I thought Alex's brother kept it. Seems not..Maybe he bought it back after all the years I don't know. I do remember he lived near Botany Bay over looking the bay. As the car had a few owners there are many stories, mine was just one. That's all I was doing sharing a story. I just bought the Magazine of EBAY. Thank you
Apparently you need a photographic memory to make comment about certain things around these parts, don't take it personal.
Quite often its born out of jealousy, you should read the stuff Roy copped, people doubted the car, they doubted the identity of the owner, they doubted the specs, they doubted everything, but Roy pushed ahead.
I think most people who bought the 3 editions were happy with the content, you wont please everyone all the time.

I met a guy once who was an engineer with Ford through the late 60's and until retirement, he said he worked on the XA program and I passed his details on to Roy, but I don't know how it helped if at all.
I mean this guy was there, hands on, but at 80 odd the old mind starts to clear some of the cookies and not everything comes to mind as though it were yesterday.
We are talking 42 years after all and at the time of development it was just another part of the racing program, who'd have thought it would mean so much to so many 40 years later.
Bloody great story and part of World motoring History really.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-08-2014, 02:31 PM   #92
Brent Hall

Smile Re: Calypso Green XA Falcon GT HO Phase 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by redloamrules View Post
This car has really left an impression on you Brent.... sorry mate, the typo made me smile
The only reason I brought it up again after so many years was the TV story with Bowdens own and Dick Johnson and Bowe..It was Calypso and white seats. I will leave it there.Please for now...TY I JUST NOTICED THE TYPO....

Last edited by Brent Hall; 17-08-2014 at 02:45 PM.
Brent Hall is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2014, 02:33 PM   #93
Brent Hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Apparently you need a photographic memory to make comment about certain things around these parts, don't take it personal.
Quite often its born out of jealousy, you should read the stuff Roy copped, people doubted the car, they doubted the identity of the owner, they doubted the specs, they doubted everything, but Roy pushed ahead.
I think most people who bought the 3 editions were happy with the content, you wont please everyone all the time.

I met a guy once who was an engineer with Ford through the late 60's and until retirement, he said he worked on the XA program and I passed his details on to Roy, but I don't know how it helped if at all.
I mean this guy was there, hands on, but at 80 odd the old mind starts to clear some of the cookies and not everything comes to mind as though it were yesterday.
We are talking 42 years after all and at the time of development it was just another part of the racing program, who'd have thought it would mean so much to so many 40 years later.
Thank you.
Old 17-08-2014, 02:43 PM   #94
zoesgift
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HO 3 View Post
Is that you Roy?

Cheers Mick
no answer?!
zoesgift is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2014, 02:52 PM   #95
HO 3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The only reason I brought it up again after so many years was the TV story with Bowdens own and Dick Johnson and Bowe..It was Calypso and white seats. I will leave it there.Please for now...TY
We'll then the car would of still been in the hands of the first owner if your memory is clear about the year being 1974 and it being painted calypso green...........monza green colour change came a bit later I think.

Cheers Mick
HO 3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2014, 02:58 PM   #96
zoesgift
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

again no disrespect intended but brent halls second post clearly states that the car accepted as being the one compliance plated xa gt ho which appeared in the magazine street fords is NOT the right car. that's not a comment that should be made based on a memory from 1970 something....anyone who appreciates cars of the muscle car era irrespective of their brand understands the importance of this car. its very existence/survival is unbelievable so questioning the integrity of the car is always going to open a BIG can of worms
zoesgift is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2014, 03:17 PM   #97
Brent Hall

Quote:
We'll then the car would of still been in the hands of the first owner if your memory is clear about the year being 1974 and it being painted calypso green...........monza green colour change came a bit later I think.

Cheers Mick
Maybe that's what I'm trying to find out. Why do members say Zircon Green or Monza Green...which was it changed to.
Old 17-08-2014, 03:18 PM   #98
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoesgift View Post
again no disrespect intended but brent halls second post clearly states that the car accepted as being the one compliance plated xa gt ho which appeared in the magazine street fords is NOT the right car. that's not a comment that should be made based on a memory from 1970 something....anyone who appreciates cars of the muscle car era irrespective of their brand understands the importance of this car. its very existence/survival is unbelievable so questioning the integrity of the car is always going to open a BIG can of worms
This is true, but lets not question the integrity of someone we know nothing about either.
Its not everyday someone jumps on here and proclaims to have riden in the rarest musclecar in Australian history, unless he gets off over being ridiculed he may possibly be telling the truth.
He has said he will try to provide support for his claims, until then he may very well be right.
Imagine if it turned out to be fact, it wouldn't be the first time the XA HO story has made people look silly around here.
Until then lets remain open minded.
This user likes this post:
Old 17-08-2014, 03:21 PM   #99
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Maybe that's what I'm trying to find out. Why do members say Zircon Green or Monza Green...which was it changed to.
Zircon, he was trying to suck you in.
Old 17-08-2014, 03:25 PM   #100
Brent Hall

Quote:
This is true, but lets not question the integrity of someone we know nothing about either.
Its not everyday someone jumps on here and proclaims to have riden in the rarest musclecar in Australian history, unless he gets off over being ridiculed he may possibly be telling the truth.
He has said he will try to provide support for his claims, until then he may very well be right.
Imagine if it turned out to be fact, it wouldn't be the first time the XA HO story has made people look silly around here.
Until then lets remain open minded.
Thank you BENT...AND I DRIVE A FORD I LOVE MY XG UTE. One thing I did notice Idiot me used my real name. But what the heck I have nothing to hide. So it seems I need the first owners name only. As the car was a different colour after 73/74. TY

Last edited by Brent Hall; 17-08-2014 at 03:43 PM.
Old 17-08-2014, 04:02 PM   #101
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Cheers Mick
i think you are right Mick, but I just pulled the story out of the box to get the years straight

First owner bought it in march 1973 from Brabham Ford (picture of Log book in the mag), repainted it Zircon Green in 1975, he sold it to Lahood Motors in 1978...

Given the first owner was a 50 + year old business man from Bowral, it is safe to say the car Brent took a joy ride in is not the GTHO Phase 4....
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2014, 04:11 PM   #102
HO 3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Yes it could be zircon green, the colour change was to one of the darker Ford green colours which is all I remember.

Cheers Mick
Old 17-08-2014, 04:15 PM   #103
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Thank you BENT...AND I DRIVE A FORD I LOVE MY XG UTE. One thing I did notice Idiot me used my real name. But what the heck I have nothing to hide. So it seems I need the first owners name only. As the car was a different colour after 73/74. TY
Was it Calypso or is that just what the tag read and was thought to be right.

It may have been painted Zircon Green already.
Old 17-08-2014, 04:16 PM   #104
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Yes it could be zircon green, the colour change was to one of the darker Ford green colours which is all I remember.

Cheers Mick
Funny how ones memory can confuse us hey.

Now add 40 years to it...
Old 17-08-2014, 04:17 PM   #105
HO 3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
i think you are right Mick, but I just pulled the story out of the box to get the years straight

First owner bought it in march 1973 from Brabham Ford (picture of Log book in the mag), repainted it Zircon Green in 1975, he sold it to Lahood Motors in 1978...

Given the first owner was a 50 + year old business man from Bowral, it is safe to say the car Brent took a joy ride in is not the GTHO Phase 4....
Thanks Stefan, I don't have any reference material........my memory is obviously a bit hazy.

Cheers Mick
Old 17-08-2014, 04:20 PM   #106
Brent Hall

Quote:
Was it Calypso or is that just what the tag read and was thought to be right.

It may have been painted Zircon Green already.
It was the real bright Green Calypso...If I had stated 1978 I would be wrong and cop it fair.
Old 17-08-2014, 04:37 PM   #107
Brent Hall

Quote:
Thanks Stefan, I don't have any reference material........my memory is obviously a bit hazy.

Cheers Mick
This is all I've been after...If those facts are true...Did they make a XA GT Calypso Green with White Seats? I do remember him telling me it was a Phase 4...Why I DONT KNOW. IF that is the case I'm fine. I will go on living.
Old 17-08-2014, 04:47 PM   #108
Iggle Piggle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Does anyone have pics of the Phase 4 we can use to compare as I reckon I've found pics of Brent's joy ride.

Vehicle Brent was in was green, impossibly fast, would shoot flames out the back and got airborne.

This has got to be it, yeah?

Think this next pic was taken from the GTHO ute:

Just kidding Brent, hope you find the answers to your questions.
Iggle Piggle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-08-2014, 04:59 PM   #109
HO 3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
This is all I've been after...If those facts are true...Did they make a XA GT Calypso Green with White Seats? I do remember him telling me it was a Phase 4...Why I DONT KNOW. IF that is the case I'm fine. I will go on living.
Mark the GT HISTORIAN will be able to help you with build numbers of Calypso Green, White Trim, XA GTs..........from the info and time frame you have supplied it is possible your joy ride was actually in the green XA GTHO road car.

Cheers Mick
Old 17-08-2014, 05:04 PM   #110
Brent Hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggle Piggle View Post
Does anyone have pics of the Phase 4 we can use to compare as I reckon I've found pics of Brent's joy ride.

Vehicle Brent was in was green, impossibly fast, would shoot flames out the back and got airborne.

"This I just found" The Calypso Green machine featured many many factory options which included laminated windscreen, stereo/cassette player, electric windows, and a sliding steel sunroof.
Ford records revealed this car's identity as SIDO #648771, Chassis #JG33MC83054K, and eventually invoiced to Jack Brabham Ford Sales P/L on 17/01/73 in the amount of $4220.07.
The first private owner was John Hemphill who didn't like the colour, so had it resprayed another Ford colour, Zircon, with silver accents; he also had aftermarket airconditioning installed.
In 1984 or thereabouts, the car, with around 67,000 miles on the odometer, was purchased by the often referred to "anonymous Sydney dentist" who said in 1987 that he had no intention of ever selling it and intended carryoing out a full restoration of the car.
Old 17-08-2014, 06:08 PM   #111
Brent Hall

Yes all I CAN say is I was told it was a phase 4 why I don't know...All rest is true Calypso Green and we hit the kerb...The car did come out in Calypso Green with White as a GT 351. So thank you all for the fun.
Old 17-08-2014, 06:49 PM   #112
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Could it have been an RPO?

When your mate bought his XA he might have been told it had all the PH4 gear by the car yard, who hasn't been told an exaggerated story by a used car dealer, and just went with it.
Old 17-08-2014, 07:13 PM   #113
Brent Hall

Quote:
Could it have been an RPO?

When your mate bought his XA he might have been told it had all the PH4 gear by the car yard, who hasn't been told an exaggerated story by a used car dealer, and just went with it.
maybe....
Old 17-08-2014, 07:25 PM   #114
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
"This I just found" The Calypso Green machine featured many many factory options which included laminated windscreen, stereo/cassette player, electric windows, and a sliding steel sunroof.
Ford records revealed this car's identity as SIDO #648771, Chassis #JG33MC83054K, and eventually invoiced to Jack Brabham Ford Sales P/L on 17/01/73 in the amount of $4220.07.
The first private owner was John Hemphill who didn't like the colour, so had it resprayed another Ford colour, Zircon, with silver accents; he also had aftermarket airconditioning installed.
In 1984 or thereabouts, the car, with around 67,000 miles on the odometer, was purchased by the often referred to "anonymous Sydney dentist" who said in 1987 that he had no intention of ever selling it and intended carryoing out a full restoration of the car.
Correct, the log book is made out to Hemphill and dated 29/3/7973.....so it was sitting at the dealer for two months.

Hemphill also switched the aerial from passenger side to the drivers side, same modification he had done to his Monza Green Phase 3.
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2014, 07:29 PM   #115
GT-GTF
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Time to clear out the rest of the of 10,000 limited edition signed posters now personally signed by Brent Hall?
GT-GTF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 17-08-2014, 07:32 PM   #116
Brent Hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT-GTS View Post
Time to clear out the rest of the of 10,000 limited edition signed posters now personally signed by Brent Hall?
Old 17-08-2014, 08:04 PM   #117
HO 3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggle Piggle View Post

Lol and I was only going to suggest it could of been the original Batmobile......which was also a Ford if I'm not mistaken.

Cheers Mick
Old 18-08-2014, 01:55 PM   #118
browser351
Landcruiser 200

I do believe these are of the car in question. Going by the number plates it changed hands a few times. Also Bonnet colour change.

Last edited by browser351; 06-06-2016 at 01:58 PM.
browser351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2014, 03:10 PM   #119
Brent Hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by browser351 View Post
I do believe these are of the car in question. Going by the number plates it changed hands a few times. Also Bonnet colour change.
Hi I just did the same thing...Brabhams sold it to Hemphill sold/traded it to Lahoods.They sold it to someone Named RL as they changed the plates to RL166 as the plate are on the car in the Parramatta car yard..RL must have come back and picked up RL plates as there are new ones on the car Have a close look --j399. So KG162 Must be the new owner So If the now owner is KG he bought it from KG So how many owner...1st Brabham 2nd LaHood 3rd RL166 4th Parramatta cars 5th KG 162... Current owner 6th. As you say the bonnet changes. The photo with --j399 I am trying to download. I don't know how to post photo

Last edited by Brent Hall; 18-08-2014 at 03:35 PM.
Old 18-08-2014, 03:55 PM   #120
Brent Hall

[QUOTE=Brent Hall;5189161]http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=i&rc...08423445288100

Last edited by Brent Hall; 18-08-2014 at 04:10 PM.