Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-01-2012, 05:32 PM   #91
earlybirds
driven rarely ...

Default Re: Summernats 25 Photos here! (reloaded, more pics, different image server)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluovl
I hope this works. This is a photo I took of the interior of the XP ute for whoever was looking for one. It was very neat.
thanks mate !
earlybirds is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2012, 06:02 PM   #92
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Summernats 25 Photos here! (reloaded, more pics, different image server)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluovl
I hope this works. This is a photo I took of the interior of the XP ute for whoever was looking for one. It was very neat.

The glovebox lid doesn't fit properly...take points off for that!!

Seriously though, very nice interior...straight, clean, and not overly-done.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2012, 06:17 PM   #93
bluovl

This would have to be the one built by Southern Rod & Custom in Deniliquin.
Google their name and there are some good shots of it being built

Dale
69 Mustang Convertible
XA 351 Coupe
1965 Galaxie Convertible
2005 GT-P
AU XR6 Ute

Last edited by bluovl; 11-01-2012 at 06:28 PM.
bluovl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2012, 09:54 PM   #94
lownloud
Ford Junkie

I just loaded a few more up here:

http://www.hubgarage.com/mygarage/bo...vehicles/82227

Pretty much the same cars from different angles!
Old 11-01-2012, 10:39 PM   #95
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grum
It's sponsored by Meguiars they wouldn't have a clue about decent paint!
Umm, the rep for that company is/was Owen Webb...one of australias to painters.

Actually, he even has a fair bit to do with the judging.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2012, 10:52 PM   #96
Scott

Thanks for the effort lads - EDManual, Rat, Data_Mine, Lownloud great work!
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2012, 08:30 AM   #97
xbcool
dazed&confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK EF
Visited the summernats on just the Sunday.. nice red XA GT to the forum member here..
Oh and "XBCOOL" -Nice "burnout" on the Burnout pad..

thanks mate ,I punked out cause she was getting warm and I didn't wish to leave another engine or gearbox on that pad,
the tyres were showing canvas when we swapped them over so they were done.
I did hear a bit of crap from the crowd leaving but thats sweet ,I look forward to seeing thier car next year

steve

beauty is only skin deep.
ugly goes all the way to the bone.
xbcool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2012, 09:22 AM   #98
BlueKoop
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Some pics I grabbed with my phone. Had a great time this year!!

1973 Vivid Blue Pearl XB Coupe

Engine Build up and progress thread

New Car

2008 FG F6 Ute
BlueKoop is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2012, 09:49 AM   #99
prasac
Banned

the judging depends on the class it's going in. i watched Hayesy going over HARDHT for Elite and he was going over it with a fine tooth comb, picking everything. however, when the brother's Capri was being judged for Tuff Street it was a little more relaxed, things like stone chips etc that wouldn't fly on an Elite car would get overlooked as ultimately they are street cars and some see road use. the judges know Joe's car and know it's driven alot so some things have to get overlooked.

you wouldn't believe just how good some of the judges eyes are. i was walking thru Elite with 2 spray painters (both have done paintwork on Elite cars), it's amazing how much a painter picks up that a normal person doesn't see. i'd be looking at a paint job thinking ''that looks good'' then they would come in and pick things straight away and point them out to me it's like first the painter's eyes find the flaws then they appreciate the rest

Last edited by prasac; 12-01-2012 at 10:00 AM.
prasac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2012, 10:06 AM   #100
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasac
the judging depends on the class it's going in. i watched Hayesy going over HARDHT for Elite and he was going over it with a fine tooth comb, picking everything. however, when the brother's Capri was being judged for Tuff Street it was a little more relaxed, things like stone chips etc that wouldn't fly on an Elite car would get overlooked as ultimately they are street cars and some see road use. the judges know Joe's car and know it's driven alot so some things have to get overlooked.
Good to hear!! Looks like a lot has changed since the early 90's when I used to have a bit to do with car shows...back then there was just "best overall" and a few other clases besides, but nothing to allow for very nice cars that actually got driven.

Quote:
you wouldn't believe just how good some of the judges eyes are. i was walking thru Elite with 2 spray painters (both have done paintwork on Elite cars), it's amazing how much a painter picks up that a normal person doesn't see. i'd be looking at a paint job thinking ''that looks good'' then they would come in and pick things straight away and point them out to me it's like first the painter's eyes find the flaws then they appreciate the rest
It's good isn't it...I've seen a mates car (EH ute with a 327) that had been painted in Chrome Yellow, and when we dropped by to check on progress, the painter said he had to re-do one rear quarter, so the car would be a bit longer...no extra charge, he "stuffed it up". We looked at the car and couldn't see what the hell he was talking about...the paint looks as deep as a clear mountain lake and glossy as wet glass, but he started to point to "imperfections" that we couldn't even see ourselves. Guess that's the difference between a $500 quick respray and a $6000 back-to-bare-metal quality paint job (this was maybe fifteen years ago, so that was a lot to spend on paint back then).
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2012, 11:52 AM   #101
prasac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
It's good isn't it...I've seen a mates car (EH ute with a 327) that had been painted in Chrome Yellow, and when we dropped by to check on progress, the painter said he had to re-do one rear quarter, so the car would be a bit longer...no extra charge, he "stuffed it up". We looked at the car and couldn't see what the hell he was talking about...the paint looks as deep as a clear mountain lake and glossy as wet glass, but he started to point to "imperfections" that we couldn't even see ourselves. Guess that's the difference between a $500 quick respray and a $6000 back-to-bare-metal quality paint job (this was maybe fifteen years ago, so that was a lot to spend on paint back then).
the funny thing is, once they point it out, you start to notice it on other cars halfway thru Elite i was looking if all the tops of the doors, (bits that close on the rubber) were all rubbed back n not ripply, that the prizmatique paint jobs all had an even spread etc

you don't realise just how much work goes into it, there are 100's of hours in paint/prep work in some of these cars.
prasac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2012, 12:28 PM   #102
Woofa6
FORD XP NUT.

Pics are awesome - feel like I was there! The XP ute is very very nice & gives me inspiration to finish my projects! The possility of the last Canberra Summernats may push us all along. If only I could afford to ship them off to Southern Rod & Custom....!

Attachment 71453Attachment 71456XP Del donk.jpgXP delivery small.jpg

Last edited by Woofa6; 28-01-2012 at 12:04 AM.
Woofa6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2012, 02:46 PM   #103
Giant
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Organising Nulon to sponsor AFF. 

I know the HQ had 10 years or more of hand sanding for every part on the car. Seems like you get a lot of points for the prep and paint job. So entrants should spend the most time and attention on these not customising the build?
Giant is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2012, 02:59 PM   #104
fat289
fat289

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woofa6
Pics are awesome - feel like I was there! The XP ute is very very nice & gives me inspiration to finish my projects! The possility of the last Canberra Summernats may push us all along. If only I could afford to ship them off to Southern Rod & Custom....!

Attachment 71453Attachment 71456Attachment 71454Attachment 71455
Couple of nice birds you've got their mate !!

XRGT
XP ute 351w Toploader
99 Springer softail
XW Fairmont 302w / c4 col shift 58,000 miles
fat289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2012, 08:56 PM   #105
gocruzin
Ford tragic

Thanks for the pix mate. did you happen to get any more of my mustang, the red fast back with the ghost flames i never got around to taking any pix at the show if you have any post em up please.
Old 25-01-2012, 08:57 PM   #106
Giant
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Organising Nulon to sponsor AFF. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant
I am not sure how they pick a winner.

Grand Champion:

HQ Coupe
GTS Front
308 stroke to 327
Stock Diff
Stock Tranny
Leather interior
Stock Brakes
USA billet wheels

Everything sanded and sanded and sanded and colour sanded. All in all still a pretty stock setup, just perfected.
I just dug out my old mobile and grab Ben's 'Grand Champion" phone number sent him a congrats text and he rang me back. I asked him a few questions regarding how they pick a winner etc:

Need to make the top, 60 cars you get more points if you make the top 20 more again if you make the top 10.

You need at least 15 votes in peoples choice to get a point and more if you place.

Complete the 3 laps of the top 60.

Place well in the grass events. More points the higher you finish.

Place well in the go to whoa. More points the high you finish.

Need to add that the HQ has a 9 inch diff and disk brakes all 4. Brake booster etc are all under the dash. 4 weeks of extra 2000 grit colour sanding from last year. Plus more that i forget.

So its very important to build a top ten car that performs well both on the grass and the tar, and a driver who can make the most of it. Ben has kindly answered my orginal question and I am glad to make sense of it and learn along the way.

Must be tuff being a judge trying to pick one over another, at the least points system sorts it all out.

Cheers
Giant (Matt)

Last edited by Giant; 25-01-2012 at 09:09 PM.
Giant is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2012, 03:11 AM   #107
LOCO XP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat289
Couple of nice birds you've got their mate !!
would love to see more of those, that van is sick!
LOCO XP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2012, 10:12 PM   #108
Woofa6
FORD XP NUT.

I'll try & get some more pics up before it gets to dusty!
Woofa6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post