Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-04-2010, 10:29 AM   #91
banarcus
hmm eyebrows

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDAA
Ford have always been criticised that their XR8, their star (and now only) V8 model was also not quite as fast or well balanced as the XR6 and now XR6T. In my humble opinion releasing a N/A XR8 in coyote guise would only continue that claim, although the gap would be much closer. It wouldn’t quite be like coming to a gun fight with a knife, but it’s less than ideal all the same. By mildly supercharging the XR8 this will finally provide this loved model with the recognition that many an enthusiasts have longer for. It will be as good, is not better in terms of performance than any other Falcon model in Ford’s line up. When you have simply outstanding models like the XR6T and the G6ET in the line up, bringing a N/A 5.0, as quick as it is in a Mustang, will in my opinion remain in their shadow. I’m personally delighted about it being supercharged and I hope they offer it with some GS-like options as well.

Agreed 100%. It would be BA Falcon all over again.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:44 AM   #92
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDAA
Ford have always been criticised that their XR8, their star (and now only) V8 model was also not quite as fast or well balanced as the XR6 and now XR6T. In my humble opinion releasing a N/A XR8 in coyote guise would only continue that claim, although the gap would be much closer. It wouldn’t quite be like coming to a gun fight with a knife, but it’s less than ideal all the same. By mildly supercharging the XR8 this will finally provide this loved model with the recognition that many an enthusiasts have longer for. It will be as good, is not better in terms of performance than any other Falcon model in Ford’s line up. When you have simply outstanding models like the XR6T and the G6ET in the line up, bringing a N/A 5.0, as quick as it is in a Mustang, will in my opinion remain in their shadow. I’m personally delighted about it being supercharged and I hope they offer it with some GS-like options as well.
Part of that came from Ford chasing after the SS Commodore, remember when one moment Holden had an expensive SS Commodore aligned with XR8 (FPV/Ticford) and then Holden introduced the SV8 thing, called it the new SS and made the original SS the new SS-V, Ford were left with nowhere to go...

XR8 was then made to compete with an SS that was little more than a base car with V8 and body kit.
Perhaps this is where we need a base car with V8 and a "Sprint" body kit and give the XR8 back to FPV.

I would be happy with a low cost Falcon "Sprint" 5.0 V8 for let's say $42,000 to give the
SS Commodore something to think about and then give the XR8 over to the + $50,000 car market.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2010, 11:14 AM   #93
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
Perhaps this is where we need a base car with V8 and a "Sprint" body kit and give the XR8 back to FPV.

Um...it would make more sense if the XR8 remained as a the entry level car, then the XR8 "Sprint" be the high version.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2010, 11:20 AM   #94
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
Um...it would make more sense if the XR8 remained as a the entry level car, then the XR8 "Sprint" be the high version.
FPV have claimed XR8, GS and GT, they can't have every friggin' name.
You can't use the name XR8 on an entry level car, it destroys the prestige,
better to use "Sprint" a traditional US Falcon name - bit of heritage..
Old 11-04-2010, 11:22 AM   #95
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
Agreed, i have felt there has been a market for a GT Powered XR8 Sprint (GS Spec) Since the B-Series was launched and in a round about way thats what im slowly building.
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2010, 11:27 AM   #96
Sam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

XR8 Sprint

Either way i'm having me one of these babies when they are released, bloody exciting times for V8 ford fans
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2010, 11:31 AM   #97
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Holden have no where to go, all they can offer is a cheaper price...

(Maybe my idea of a low cost V8 car should be consigned to history..)
Old 11-04-2010, 12:37 PM   #98
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
You need to do your research!

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2010, 12:40 PM   #99
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Sprint might have US herritage but it has none here.
You'll probably find it falls into the "politically incorrect" (like typhoon) basket now too....

Old 11-04-2010, 01:04 PM   #100
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As I said above, maybe my idea of a low cost V8 car should be consigned to history..
Old 11-04-2010, 01:11 PM   #101
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

While we're having a sook about forced induction and only 315Kw, does anyone know the weight difference between an XR6T, the current XR8 and the Coyote XR8?

Personally, I reckon instead of increasing power, they should look into dropping weight from the Falcon.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2010, 04:47 PM   #102
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

You get alot more for your money chasing power than lower weight though.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2010, 05:27 PM   #103
Ghiadude
FORMERLY TX3DUDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
While we're having a sook about forced induction and only 315Kw, does anyone know the weight difference between an XR6T, the current XR8 and the Coyote XR8?

Personally, I reckon instead of increasing power, they should look into dropping weight from the Falcon.
somebody mentioned a 50kg difference between s/c coyote and boss.
have some salt with that because its internet scuttlebut.
Ghiadude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2010, 05:35 PM   #104
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Coyote weights the same as the IL6.....

Old 11-04-2010, 05:40 PM   #105
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV GTHO
You get alot more for your money chasing power than lower weight though.
It'd handle a lot better though, rather than going fast up to the corner, then barrel rolling 300 times into the nearest small child.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2010, 05:44 PM   #106
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghiadude
The 50Kg difference quoted is probably for the 430 lb NA Coyote Vs 575 lb 5.4 Iron block Boss.

The difference between a 5.4 Iron block (200 lbs) and alloy block
for the 5.4 (100 lbs) is around 100 lbs or about 45 Kg
That's before we talk about the Coyote's lower deck height,
short throw crank and lighter connecting rods.

Not sure about the weight of the blower..
Old 11-04-2010, 05:55 PM   #107
HSE2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghiadude
Depending on who said it, it sounds like the difference between a current XR8 and the documentation recently revealed which lists tare at 1785.

That number could include 19inch rims and 355 front rotors.
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2010, 05:58 PM   #108
HSE2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilliman
I'm glad that the XR8 name appears to be staying - regardless of badging

I am too and I suspect it might wear both but don't really care. It lives.
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2010, 07:10 PM   #109
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Ian, it was Jem who said it on the forum.

Quote:
You need to do your research!
He would be the last person I would say that to.

Quote:
As I said above, maybe my idea of a low cost V8 car should be consigned to history..
No, your idea is correct. The name you suggested probably isn't. As I said earlier, it could be the "XR50" which was recently registered by Ford.
Falc'man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2010, 07:40 PM   #110
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man

No, your idea is correct. The name you suggested probably isn't. As I said earlier, it could be the "XR50" which was recently registered by Ford.
Thanks Falc'man,
I was trying to think of a name distinctive enough to carry a low cost (maybe NA) V8,
something possibly shared with G8E because it really sticks in my craw that SV8 -> SS con job
Holden pulled a few years back,I think it's time Ford turned the tables on Holden...

XT50 sounds great, I really hope Ford does an awesome car fo it...
Old 11-04-2010, 07:42 PM   #111
sxckevo
Ford motor company

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
He would be the last person I would say that to.
Lol exactly what I was going to say before as well

WORK CAR: RED 1996 manual XG ute
sxckevo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2010, 11:41 PM   #112
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Thanks Falc'man,
I was trying to think of a name distinctive enough to carry a low cost (maybe NA) V8, something possibly shared with G8E because it really sticks in my craw that SV8 -> SS con job Holden pulled a few years back,I think it's time Ford turned the tables on Holden...

XT50 sounds great, I really hope Ford does an awesome car fo it...
Yep. They released a SV8 which was basically an executive with a v8 option and at the same time deleted that option. It was a success and then the following model, the SV8 was 'deleted' but essentially 'replaced' by SS. The previous SS with options then became SS-V.

The manoevre was in part forced onto GMHolden by Ford because of the clear superiority of the I6T to any competing product of the time. ie they didn't have a SV6, SV6T, SS line-up. They had to create that middle model. Unfortunately, the bastards at GMH made the most of the opportunity. In doing so, gave a lesson to Ford that models and not options are better. Meanwhile the sheeple who buy GMH got sucked in. Damn it!

If the XR8 is to be S/C only to begin with and a N/A model follow, then one of them has to be called Sprint and I reckon it should be the blown option.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2010, 12:10 AM   #113
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyc
Yep. They released a SV8 which was basically an executive with a v8 option and at the same time deleted that option. It was a success and then the following model, the SV8 was 'deleted' but essentially 'replaced' by SS. The previous SS with options then became SS-V.

The manoevre was in part forced onto GMHolden by Ford because of the clear superiority of the I6T to any competing product of the time. ie they didn't have a SV6, SV6T, SS line-up. They had to create that middle model. Unfortunately, the bastards at GMH made the most of the opportunity. In doing so, gave a lesson to Ford that models and not options are better. Meanwhile the sheeple who buy GMH got sucked in. Damn it!

If the XR8 is to be S/C only to begin with and a N/A model follow, then one of them has to be called Sprint and I reckon it should be the blown option.
Well said, Phil.

Again, though, you will find the purists might suggest the Sprint name wouldn't be correct as it wouldn't have the same power as the GT. Although I don't mind it being called the Sprint, I think the 'standard' XR8 for once in a long time deserves all the fruit, and should be top dog in it's segment.
Old 12-04-2010, 12:41 AM   #114
Chopped
as in chopped

I always considered the SV8 as a true muscle car by definition. And it is true that the XR6T helped create it. Both the best value performance sedans of the time.

The SS is about to be de-throned.

I can't wait to hear these coyotes on the street.
Old 12-04-2010, 02:02 AM   #115
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyc
It was a bit more progressional than that. VY2 saw it with the full SS bodykit as opposed to the lip kitted Executive bumpers. VZ had the model lineup set with SV6 replacing S and more features added, then the final run of cars had the SSZ special edition which aclimatised buyers with what would soon be the new hero model.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2010, 02:03 AM   #116
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopped
I always considered the SV8 as a true muscle car by definition. And it is true that the XR6T helped create it. Both the best value performance sedans of the time.
I think "sleeper" would be the more appropriate term for the SV8.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopped
I can't wait to hear these coyotes on the street.
There are already some vids out of the blown 5 litre in the Falcon.
Old 12-04-2010, 07:09 AM   #117
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

But I do like how the XR6T pulled down the S/C SV6's pants at the traffic lights....
There's a few reasons why Holden did SV8, V8 executive was popular and S/C V6 wasn't good enough...

Shame that a V8 XT wasn't available/popular, If XR8 makes the jump to FPV,
a base model V8 might be enough to give Holden SS a real hard time...
there has to be a solution to infuriate Holden and give Ford buyers a treat...

Last edited by jpd80; 12-04-2010 at 07:20 AM.
Old 12-04-2010, 11:20 AM   #118
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
But I do like how the XR6T pulled down the S/C SV6's pants at the traffic lights....
There's a few reasons why Holden did SV8, V8 executive was popular and S/C V6 wasn't good enough...

Shame that a V8 XT wasn't available/popular, If XR8 makes the jump to FPV,
a base model V8 might be enough to give Holden SS a real hard time...
there has to be a solution to infuriate Holden and give Ford buyers a treat...

I just thought about this, does Holden offer the omega as a V8? Does that make the SS the base model?
A G8E would be good if Ford marketed squarely at Calais V8 owners. They need to bring back the walking fingers like in the initial FG ads, but this time have the fingers crushing Calais' as they walk along, with some relaxing background Led Zeppelin music and Marcos Ambrose in stubbies and singlet driving it.
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2010, 11:24 AM   #119
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Pretty sure I saw a V8 berlina wagon the other day (VE). Definately had quads.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2010, 11:27 AM   #120
Messenger85
Starter Motor

All Good news
Messenger85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post