Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-07-2008, 01:05 AM   #91
ck11

A lot of people have said that owning a large car allows you to enjoy greater power and comfort. Our family has a large car and i love the torque and effortless of crusing of large V6, but there is no way that anyone within a 30-40km radius of the sydney cbd could claim that a large v6 is needed. It might feel good for the ego, but definitely a waste of money unless you had three adult kids.

With huge population density, i am lucky to find a road where i can use the potential of a V6 without being labelled a hooligan or criminal. There are a ridiculous number of traffic lights, speed changes etc. Yes it feels good to stab the pedal and enjoy the torque but before you know it the car has reached the speed limit. I find it frustrating knowing the car has so much potential that isnt used.

People argue that a large car is ideal for long distance, but how often do people in the current fuel climate drive 1000kms etc. I would just hire a large car for the once or twice drive.

I am keen on buying a car and have always wanted to buy a large v6 even if itcosts more as the enjoyment would be worth it. But have realised that unless i go on long interstate drives, the fuel cost just isnt worth it. Frustratingly our traffic wont even allow me to enjoy the potential of a large car. A honda accord (manual) or equivalent would do the job nicely.
ck11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2008, 09:03 AM   #92
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shounak
Best way is to fill the tank to the brim. Do your kilometres and then fill it back up.

Then it's a matter of kilometres per litre, or however you want to do the maths. Simple.
I did that and was blown away by the AU's economy.

My XE 3.3L with 5 speed worked out about 13L/100km while the AU worked out 8L/100km. Highway kays of course but I do have a lead foot.

Around town the XE stayed around 13L/100km while the AU got 11-12L.
sleekism is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2008, 11:16 AM   #93
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
Surely we all base the figures on klm travelled vs amount of fuel put in since the last fill ?
I agree, I was just saying that "how many kays per tank" as often stated is a meaningless figure unless you also say how many litres it takes to refill the tank.
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2008, 11:18 AM   #94
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep, the Getz did to 14, and was the 1.3!!, driving around cairns, up the atherten table lands, generally going up and down the hills around there.

It has to be kept pretty much flat to the floor to even move with 3 people and luggage up the hills.

Also when doing 120 or so kmh its so boxy it pushes too much air for its little engine so again has to be pushed and so has bad economy on the hwy and country roads.

Only good for the city. with 1 person in it.

We couldnt believe it!
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2008, 03:28 AM   #95
Jayden
Graphic Artist

I miss the good old days of 2001. When we could whinge about the price of fuel like we do now, but not give up driving.

maybe its a shallow and implausible approach to problems. but they should just punch the next person on the planet who mentions an oil price-rise.