Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-05-2009, 12:32 PM   #91
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Work Horse
I think you have nailed it blueoval. Of course all the racing from the lights takes place at the dragstrip in our days. :voldar02:

This can add an extra dimension, having your sleeper laughed at in the staging lanes by some driver of a turbo import. Then you end up racing and beating said driver. Then you confront the driver in the staging lanes after with a smile and the comment, "what happened mate, where were you"?

The look of embarrassment mixed with bewilderment is very sweet. Am I bad??
no your not bad at all. This just adds to the delight of the win when you can verbally rub in their faces. :the_finge

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2009, 01:13 PM   #92
LOCO XP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Originally posted by Night in the project section

"what happens when you get bored of 600bhp cosworth granada ? you put a koeniggsegg ccx v8 in it"

http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/vi...=420761&page=1

Now this is a sleeper!!!!.....
LOCO XP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2009, 09:14 PM   #93
dogwatch2

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8capri8
a bloke i went to tech with had a centura, factory brown with factory rims but a off its head 265 with triples under the bonnet it used to fly. i remember being in the passenger seat a few times and seeing the bottom lip of the other cars occupants hit the dash . He even had a dummy stock pee shooter exhaust tip with the real exhaust dumping just after the diff
Hey, that's similar to what I had, a red centura with a 265, second hand factory triple webers and new E49 cam, with a heavily modded head - good for 300 plus HP in a 1100kg car with a 4 speed manual. I used to love blowing off SLR 5000's, falcon GT's etc, oh plus my brother's XB 351. Those were the days!! The only problem I had was keeping up with the clutches and getting 14 mpg driving easy. Ahh the sound of triple webers at full flight - they were noisier than my exhaust.
dogwatch2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2009, 09:39 PM   #94
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My Super Pursuit ute. The blower hardly makes any whine, and with the stock cat back it looks and sounds like a factory SP. Get on the gas though and it sounds like a jet engine leaving many unsuspecting challengers wondering what it's got done to it.
Old 23-05-2009, 09:52 PM   #95
Suvo
BA Fairmont Ghia X

Got an 86 Corolla (imported sport) with the 4AGE engine. Bloke in a turbo charged buzz box tried drag me, but he had no chance.
The corolla just looks standard with the usual dings from wear and tear. I've got pics somewhere.
2002 BA Fairmont GHIA X, Now 230kw 3V V8 + ZF 6sp (Semi retired)
1994 Land Rover Discovery 1 3.9 Manual (Bush hack)
1992 DC LTD, 5L (Daily)
1979 ZJ Fairlane, Sno White (Gone but not forgotten)
1979 P6 LTD Town Car, Clevo goodness
Suvo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2009, 09:54 PM   #96
foxtrot3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical articles. 

Hi Early in the 70,s had a mk3 Zephyr 6 with 1/8+60thou over bore, good for 110 mph on recaps , mad stuff but no traffic then another z car in the 80,s with 302 and c4 but it was no faster but much nicer to drive. Then helped a mate build a honda s600 with a fiat 1600 engine (twin downdraught webers 5 speed 4wheel discs and a bonnet bulge to put a ba v8 to shsme) and droped a 302 into my xe van.cheers Michael
foxtrot3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2009, 10:11 PM   #97
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
:evilsasmo

the concept of a sleeper in my opinion, is a vehicle that you wouldnt expect to be performance based, looks factory standard or close to factory standard on the outside, but contains a potent engine/driveline combination under the hood. :Up_to_som

The victim at the lights next to you will think he/she has a chance to beat you in a traffic light duel. :yeees: This is the false perception the owner of the sleeper will be looking for.

The reaction the owner of the sleeper is looking for in their victims is one of sheer disbelief : , awe : ,and shock that they were : by something that looks real meager on the outside. :

Well thats my take on it. Anyone else want to add or correct me in any way?

IMO you've nailed it!

I personally love sleepers, and have had two.

This was my first:

EB, 4lt turbo manual 225rwkw

And this is my current:

EL Futura. Bog stock, LPG, hubcaps, standard height etc. 4lt turbo, 303rwkw
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2009, 10:28 PM   #98
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That would have to be the best looking EB I have ever seen, the paint is beautiful.......
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2009, 10:45 PM   #99
CPOCSM

There was a fellow up in Nutters Knoll (Toowoomba) who shoehorned a 460 Cobrajet(???) into a Ford Cortina 440. The thing had a 1 7/8 peashooter exhaust with a lever to open the pipe and bypass the muffler system. You would never know what the car had under it until you heard it and then spied the 9 inch diff in the back. Totally not roadworthy and should never have been on the road but hell it was fun to watch all the bogans idle up to it and get hosed!!

All good and I am a big believer in the sleeper concept

Hooroo
CPOCSM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2009, 02:45 AM   #100
Cooper69S

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPOCSM
There was a fellow up in Nutters Knoll (Toowoomba) who shoehorned a 460 Cobrajet(???) into a Ford Cortina 440. The thing had a 1 7/8 peashooter exhaust with a lever to open the pipe and bypass the muffler system. You would never know what the car had under it until you heard it and then spied the 9 inch diff in the back. Totally not roadworthy and should never have been on the road but hell it was fun to watch all the bogans idle up to it and get hosed!!

All good and I am a big believer in the sleeper concept

Hooroo
unless there's another one like it, I saw that car in Street Machine years ago. I can still remember it - gleaming white, with a perfect red vinyl interior complete with the rear venetian blind and stock hubcaps and a fully detailed engine bay with nothing there but a monster v8. awesome. whenever anyone's mentioned a sleeper, I've thought of that Cortina
Cooper69S is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post