Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 11:26 PM   #91
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Even if it is changing, it isn't going to be tomorrow, I'd be putting money on 2050/2100 or there abouts when it starts getting really serious.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
ive got the weight gain bit mastered, Colonel Sanders is my personal trainer.

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.
Old 10-05-2009, 11:32 PM   #92
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

I like the way Arj Barker said it. Earth is the innocent party, it's actually the Sun's fault. "When I burn my toast, I don't blame the bread!"
Old 10-05-2009, 11:41 PM   #93
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

^ yes it will be awhile but if it does get 5c warmer (it's only about 1-2c warmer now than it has been recently at the moment) by 2100 it will be too late to fix it. That's the problem. There was a period during the 1950?s 60s that it was much colder due to dimming of the sunlight, that masked the effect of global warming for quite a few decades. Once laws were put in place to clean up particle pollution the atmosphere cleared up alot and the brightness of the sunlight has been increasing ever since and that's also been bringing the temp up over the last 20 years.

It seems like all the increase has only been very recent but because we had been living in the shade of smog for a few decades, it seems much warmer and the sun seems to burn more now (well it does) but it was also like that 100 years ago when everyone wore hats . I'm you all realise how thin the atmosphere is? there's only a very small amount of air between us and space, it's all too easy to fill up with crap. That also means its easy to clean (as seen by our current super bright sunlight), but you need trees to help use cO2 and if it's 5c warmer day and night you wont have trees in much of Australia, the evaporation over summer will just be too high to keep them alive, even +2 degrees is getting dodgy. Then you have the risk of it being too late to fix it
Old 11-05-2009, 01:03 AM   #94
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenfoam
^ yes it will be awhile but if it does get 5c warmer (it's only about 1-2c warmer now than it has been recently at the moment) by 2100 it will be too late to fix it. That's the problem. There was a period during the 1950?s 60s that it was much colder due to dimming of the sunlight, that masked the effect of global warming for quite a few decades. Once laws were put in place to clean up particle pollution the atmosphere cleared up alot and the brightness of the sunlight has been increasing ever since and that's also been bringing the temp up over the last 20 years.
It was actually in the 70's, this is when the media were alarming people that we were gonna go into an ice age. Actually this is where the whole concept of global warming came about.

Funny how the solution back then was to burn more CO2.....
Old 11-05-2009, 10:35 AM   #95
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Holy crap the disinformation in this thread is strong - the reason sea levels rise when the Earth warms has extremley little to do with ICE whatsoever. Period.

Its due to "thermal expansion of water" or in laymans terms its because water expands when heated (like most things), i.e. it takes up a larger volume than before. This is taught in even the most basic of science subjects...

Now global warming on the other hand, personally I will weigh up the evidence for and against before coming to any conclusions. I think a lot of you go off half cocked either way without viewing any evidence for your statements whatsoever - you just say what suits you (i.e. I want to keep my V8), say what the majority think (the sheep) or say the opposite (just to be trendy/different). I think this debate is all a bit pointless really - its like a bunch of nuclear scientists debating wether the LS1 is superior to the BOSS engine - they would have no inherent knowledge of either and are just sprouting off crap basically....
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
Old 11-05-2009, 04:23 PM   #96
onfire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Such an important issue, so much so Kevin Rudd decided to put it aside, to take care of some real issues.

At the end of the day, regardless of whether anything significant is happening at all, if they are simply scare tactics to strengthen a greener outlook, it isnt all that bad in the end, again regardless of whether anything significant is really happening, if becoming " green " can give us, and most importantly the major cities of the world a high quility of life, thats good.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:10 PM   #97
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobman
Fumes, oil, petrol, smoke. It's all disgusting. It's a GOOD thing that Governments are trying to reduce this.
The issue is the costs to us, and all that carbon-credits stuff.

People are making squillions out of paranoia, and making others feel guilty.

In principle, yes, great, help the planet.
Reality though...people are jerks who don't care about anything but themselves.

I went camping (real camping) out near Pineapple Flat in the Alpine region near Buller.
Get to our campsite, and nearby is a pile of garbage consisting of bottles and cans. I mean, holy effing hell...how stupid and selfish can people be?

That is why I am not really surprised by anything anymore. I just get angered.

So while I agree with helping the planet, I do not believe I should be slugged for it when there is nothing to be slugged for.

Don't snap my undies.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:15 PM   #98
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tufLTD
They say that global warming will caused the polar ice caps to melt & sea levels to rise.
But here's my question. Doesn't water expand when frozen? Therefore, if the ice caps melt, wouldn't the sea levels drop?
Nope they'd rise massively.

Lots of ice is out of the water/above sea level, when it melts it'll go straight into the ocean.
Old 12-05-2009, 12:04 AM   #99
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLaViTaR
Nope they'd rise massively.
GROUSE! No more water restrictions and I can wash my car again :

BUT on a more serious note ...... for those who doubt the existance of global warming, there is proof as shown in the graph below.

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 12-05-2009, 12:37 AM   #100
Rangas GTP

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jeez, born before my time!
Old 12-05-2009, 08:25 AM   #101
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK
If global warming is a fact, and we're all about to burn, how the heck can there be ANY decrease in temp? If it's as bad as the scaremongers and those clamouring for research funding say, then all we should see are increases. Have the world's co2 levels gone down?

GK
There you go, this is why its all happening
those few words are your answer(those clamouring for research funding say)
There is many millions being handed out due to Polliticians panicking
Old 12-05-2009, 09:21 AM   #102
dave289
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLDFORDNUT
There you go, this is why its all happening
those few words are your answer(those clamouring for research funding say)
There is many millions being handed out due to Polliticians panicking
This money could actually be used for a real cause, like maybe feeding hungry kids around the world, instead of pleasing some dopes by making them feel something is being done about this waste of time and money subject while they sit in their cosy little home munching on their lovely dinner. TOOLS
Old 12-05-2009, 10:57 AM   #103
Wally
XP Coupe

I know it's a side issue, but some of us can remember what it was like to wake up to the smell of smoke, peak hour smog haze, to drive/ride on roads that had the stink of leaded fuel, to sit in cars with vinyl and urea fumes, even suffer the dreaded wet wool jumper odour while sucking in the fumes from the kero room heater........

If it wasn't for the Californians I think those of us who hadn't died of cancer by now, would be none the wiser of the alternative cleaner environment. They took on the ridicule and persisted until the rest of the western world fell into line. It cost big bucks, but in my opinion it was worth it.

The global warming cycle might be a myth, but gee it might also be nice to actually see the stars at night and have some reliability with the seasons. It would also be nice to know we aren't like frogs in simmering water, inhaling excessive amounts of carbon dioxide and damaging our respiratory systems.

The cycle is like a giant P+I loop, it lazily swings from hot to cold, with ever decreasing time spans. Eventually it will settle into a fairly constant ice age or the reverse. Something or a culmination of things has caused the bump and therefore the climatic swings, industrial revolutions seeming to be the main culprits.
Old 12-05-2009, 02:02 PM   #104
mikestp
EF Ghia

IF global warming exists (and im not saying it does) if we continue burning fuel and driving our big cars maby in a hundred years a few species of animals that I never knew existed die out as a result.... does it realy matter?
Old 12-05-2009, 05:09 PM   #105
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikestp
IF global warming exists (and im not saying it does) if we continue burning fuel and driving our big cars maby in a hundred years a few species of animals that I never knew existed die out as a result.... does it realy matter?
That's the spirit! :
Old 12-05-2009, 05:11 PM   #106
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Gee's your game,lol
Old 12-05-2009, 05:26 PM   #107
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLDFORDNUT
Gee's your game,lol
It was not that long ago that everyone I knew had several guns and hunted everything from butterflys to buffalo on a regular basis, fishing was commonly augmented the expanding bait borrowed from the pits and empty stubbies were thrown at whales that were annoying you when you were out in the bay.....

Ah the good old days......
Old 12-05-2009, 05:30 PM   #108
XRSIKS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Michael crichton : State of fear

Read it....

It puts a whole new spin on this global warming nonsense, like The Da Vinci Code put a spin on the bible, this puts a spin on global warming , great book.. lots of facts for both sides.
BF MK II XR8 - ToXiC...
Toyota Camry Altise

After a patient 2 years...
Now Driving...

2010 FG XR6 - Sunburst!
Old 12-05-2009, 08:25 PM   #109
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Regardless of the greenies and the conservationists, who is to say that what is happening isn't all part of the natural evolution of the planet and the flora/fauna.
As was said earlier why are some of the human species so arrogant to think they can alter/change/stop what could and more than likely is a natural event.
Maybe some species are meant to become extinct,perhaps its because they have served their purpose in the natural progression of evolution and as far as 'climate change' is concerned the climate is always changing.
Perhaps instead of this attempt to stop it maybe we should learn to adapt to it just as some fauna adapt to change around them because in all honesty my firm belief is that mankind contributes five eigths of sfa to what is happening.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
Old 12-05-2009, 08:51 PM   #110
wsfiesta
Starter Motor

Get out a documentary called the Great Global Warming Swindle. Makes Al Gore look like a knob, with his inconvenient truth. Many of the top scientists around the world do not believe global warming is caused by humans.
Old 12-05-2009, 08:55 PM   #111
xtremerus
FG XR6T trayback

MO
Spot on.
Greenies are the ultimate 'Conservatives'. They want nothing to change the ' balance of nature '. They don't realise that nature is evolving, and not in a constant 'balance'.
Old 12-05-2009, 08:58 PM   #112
xtremerus
FG XR6T trayback

Quote:
Originally Posted by auslandau
GROUSE! No more water restrictions and I can wash my car again :

BUT on a more serious note ...... for those who doubt the existance of global warming, there is proof as shown in the graph below.

Looking forward to 2010 : :
Old 12-05-2009, 09:08 PM   #113
onfire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremerus
Looking forward to 2010 : :
One more year. Be Brave.
Old 14-07-2009, 06:16 PM   #114
RATT
In a Pug..

Just as I thought...
http://au.news.yahoo.com/a/-/latest/...warming-carbon
Old 14-07-2009, 06:35 PM   #115
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Come on people, get with the program....

Now they call it "Climate Change" not Global warming
Old 14-07-2009, 06:59 PM   #116
Barry_v
rocknrolla

steve fielding is going to find its like explaining darwins theory to the pope.
Old 14-07-2009, 09:13 PM   #117
xtremerus
FG XR6T trayback

Or fridges to Eskimos.
Old 14-07-2009, 09:20 PM   #118
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremerus
Or fridges to Eskimos.
Lots of eskimos buy fridges, the insulation helps things not freeze.
Old 14-07-2009, 09:24 PM   #119
cjf
GT Hardcore

Its a total load of crap, planet earth has been warming since the end of the ice age.
Just another excuse to grab some more money from the pockets of us tax paying fools.
Old 30-08-2009, 04:21 PM   #120
Bobman
Regulator

http://www.theage.com.au/national/it...0829-f3cd.html

Quote:
SCIENTISTS studying Victoria's crippling drought have, for the first time, proved the link between rising levels of greenhouse gases and the state's dramatic decline in rainfall.
You know those people who whine about Global Warming being fake are most likely the same people who drive cars with smokey exhausts, polluting everyone's lungs behind them and also only set the air conditioners and heaters in their homes to "full speed".

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)