Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 07:47 PM   #91
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

18 months....... better than three I spose...... would be nice to get some more time than this even.

Holden special vehicles - for special people
Old 02-02-2009, 07:48 PM   #92
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
You were whinging about the cost of the upgrade to an X3. All new and supersceding technology costs and old tech loses value.

The X1s still work and will continue to work and guess what, I actually own one too. The X3s are better and for $600 I might just upgrade mine.

Ford DID actually "turn off" my BA ECU, it cannot be used in a BF or FG just the model I originally bought.

I am also impressed that a moderator, albeit a club moderator would stoop to childish name calling and insulting a forum director.
That always goes down well, just ask Casper, sbutler, red_el_xr8 et al.
Purchasers of X1 weren't told about any expiry date. Sure, the technology is old, but it works and does the job. If X3 is "new", then why is it old technology in the US? Are they trying to offload all their old stock? Will they "switch off" the X3, does it have an invisible expiry date like the X1?

SCT have their "reasons" for acting the way they did, according to them their reasons are justified. But one question they haven't bothered to answer is, why haven't they pursued the culprits legally instead of punishing the end user?

It's not about the extra $600-$1200 Tony, it's the principle.

Last edited by Falc'man; 02-02-2009 at 07:59 PM.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:07 PM   #93
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
Purchasers of X2 weren't told about any expiry date. Sure, the technology is old, but it works and does the job. If X3 is "new", then why is it old technology in the US? Are they trying to offload all their old stock? Will they "switch off" the X3, does it have an invisible expiry date like the X1?
Good point. The touch screen xtreme is the latest technology, see here It supercedes the X3. In light of the short lifespan of the XCal2 devices I'd be inclinded to ask my tuner/dealer for the newest model rather than a XC2/XC3 unless it is at a heavily discounted price.

One needs to ask in light of the carry on with the previous distributorship arrangement why we are being encouraged to buy the X3 units when it too is old-hat compared to the touch screen unit?

Last edited by Romulus; 02-02-2009 at 08:14 PM.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:16 PM   #94
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbaxr6t
18 months....... better than three I spose...... would be nice to get some more time than this even.
A lot can happen in 18 months.

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:20 PM   #95
Fireblade
Wizard Member

I won't be investing in another SCT box/hardware again, if we are to far behind the states then thats the way it is. Might find something that has more support in Australia with no outdating hardware. VCM Suite anybody?
Old 02-02-2009, 08:46 PM   #96
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVS Super Pursuit
Good point. The touch screen xtreme is the latest technology, see here It supercedes the X3. In light of the short lifespan of the XCal2 devices I'd be inclinded to ask my tuner/dealer for the newest model rather than a XC2/XC3 unless it is at a heavily discounted price.

One needs to ask in light of the carry on with the previous distributorship arrangement why we are being encouraged to buy the X3 units when it too is old-hat compared to the touch screen unit?
I wonder if this new box is compatible with our falcons, and if so could it be tuned locally with software available at a local tune shop?
Old 02-02-2009, 08:50 PM   #97
qwiksix

I'm trying to be as helpful as I can be about this.

The entire situation is well known and understood in many industries. The appropriate treatment is to inform customers up front of when a product will no longer provide any feature. In this case, it's the ability for a tuner to provide an updated tune that the customer can load. SCT has the opportunity to do this now to ensure that customers considering buying have the facts and the confidence to purchase, as well as to ensure continuing loyalty of existing customers.

If they can not or will not answer the question about when XCal3 will no longer be able to do this, this current Xcal1 situation is doomed to repeat itself.

Releasing a product is easy; ensuring customer satisfaction on removing a product from market is hard.

SCT has an opportunity here to inform their customers and potential future customers, and IMHO they should take it.

qs

PS: There are also clear issues around channel distribution and control, but that is not of any interest to end users.

PPS: Qwiksix is available for consulting at very reasonable rates ;)
Old 02-02-2009, 08:54 PM   #98
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugget378
I wonder if this new box is compatible with our falcons, and if so could it be tuned locally with software available at a local tune shop?
Of course it can be used with all our Falcons, it's a matter of when SCT decide they will switch it on.

Ring SCT/Herrod, ask them why if it's available, if not, why? I want one of these units now instead of the XC3
Old 02-02-2009, 09:03 PM   #99
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Quote:
Of course it can be used with all our Falcons, it's a matter of when SCT decide they will switch it on.

Ring SCT/Herrod, ask them why if it's available, if not, why? I want one of these units now instead of the XC3
I have emailed sct about it, Ive also made an enquiry about the sniper, $700 gets you a box that will hold 6 tunes, the hard thing for me is that nobody locally tunes for it, so it would have to involve a trip interstate.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:08 PM   #100
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
I have emailed sct about it, Ive also made an enquiry about the sniper, $700 gets you a box that will hold 6 tunes, the hard thing for me is that nobody locally tunes for it, so it would have to involve a trip interstate.
Well theres a good reason to come down and visit ...... or get the one that will do the best job!!

When the time comes for a box of tunes ..... doesnt matter what it is, I just want to get the best one I can get for a car that is worth more to me than my pride in boycotting a 'good' product!

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 02-02-2009, 09:33 PM   #101
nugget378
Weezland

Quote:
Originally Posted by auslandau
Well theres a good reason to come down and visit ...... or get the one that will do the best job!!

When the time comes for a box of tunes ..... doesnt matter what it is, I just want to get the best one I can get for a car that is worth more to me than my pride in boycotting a 'good' product!
Thats it for me as well, I want the best, Its not worth worrying about a few hundred considering the total amount spent on mods, and also being satisfied with what you get,

But thats the hard part, finding whats best, if these things ran carbs my decision would be much easier
Old 02-02-2009, 09:39 PM   #102
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnedout
A lot can happen in 18 months.
A GT or F6 will probably depreciate about $15000 in 18 months, in fact in the 3 days this topic has been running everyones car has depreciated nearly $100...
If we debate this for a month our cars will have depreciated by the same cost as a new X3!

Old 02-02-2009, 09:42 PM   #103
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Thats it for me as well, I want the best, Its not worth worrying about a few hundred considering the total amount spent on mods, and also being satisfied with what you get,

But thats the hard part, finding whats best, if these things ran carbs my decision would be much easier
MOTEC....

Old 02-02-2009, 09:43 PM   #104
jetute

Quote:
sorry for the off topic here but.

u can also buy the sniper software for a VERY reasonable price... which means you can take sniper to any tuner of your choise to get it tuned.

BF mk11 XR6T ZF in neo

Last edited by jetute; 02-02-2009 at 09:54 PM.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:45 PM   #105
philstoj
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
A GT or F6 will probably depreciate about $15000 in 18 months, in fact in the 3 days this topic has been running everyones car has depreciated nearly $100...
If we debate this for a month our cars will have depreciated by the same cost as a new X3!
This does not add any facts to this thread, why post this crap?
We need real info not this off topic jibberish.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:54 PM   #106
dynowog
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie@sct
AU's are covered on the X3. We are working on a solution for all X1 customers but will not drop you even after the 90 days. All that we ask is that you work together with your SCT dealers.

Charlie@sct
firstly welldone rob and charlie
just a few question's for you charlie:

why are the new updates only 30 writes?

this show's to me that the current situation can rehappen any time SCT want and as you have obviously seen that is the last thing we all want!

i'm told there will be a twelve month plus phase out period so 30 writes seems fishy to me? This is every day for some tuners!

this has not affected me as i have sent rob my dongle number and i will not be upgrading till i run out of writes, also the facts that i am the only unlimited sniper tuner in aust and i still have the unlimited 2.814 software further guarantee this!!!

but before i upgrade to euro on the sct i want written guarantee's that this will not happen to me just as the pay extra for the fg upgrade came up out of the blue? or the hp tuners pay by the vehicle system!

remember we signed up for unlimited write's and all future model's so it is not only morally wrong but legally i would say. again this has not affected me as yet but for the public and for those who it has affected, how can we guarantee the future of all our investments?

how do we feel comfortable SCT don't have another mood swing?

would it not have been smart to sued the culprit if the acusations were true and not affect thousands of inocent customers and tuners? don't need to answer this one just asked it as all who know me know i am the biggest advocate of value for money for all the auto industry!

please answer the ones you can or email me rob has my email this is not to stir the pot but to voice the concerns of 380 plus tuned customers of mine and ultimately mine too!
Old 02-02-2009, 09:55 PM   #107
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by philstoj
This does not add any facts to this thread, why post this crap?
We need real info not this off topic jibberish.
Ah relax.. im just trying to bring some level of perspective and rational thoughts to the notion of the cost of updating...

As per my other post are motec units common on the street? maybe an option?

Old 02-02-2009, 10:06 PM   #108
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6 FOON
I won't be investing in another SCT box/hardware again, if we are to far behind the states then thats the way it is. Might find something that has more support in Australia with no outdating hardware. VCM Suite anybody?
Your choice, if you have no further use for SCT products best leave the thread for those that want to read the information.
You can or anyone else can start a thread on another tuning device in the appropriate Forum.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
Old 02-02-2009, 10:28 PM   #109
CAT600
I miss my wheelbarrow
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out fellow AFF members... Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Daniels knowledge of modular engines and superchargers is extremely valuable to the AFF community. I have learnt quite a bit just reading his build threads. His contributions are often utilised by other members. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynowog
firstly welldone rob and charlie
just a few question's for you charlie:

why are the new updates only 30 writes?

this show's to me that the current situation can rehappen any time SCT want and as you have obviously seen that is the last thing we all want!

i'm told there will be a twelve month plus phase out period so 30 writes seems fishy to me? This is every day for some tuners!

this has not affected me as i have sent rob my dongle number and i will not be upgrading till i run out of writes, also the facts that i am the only unlimited sniper tuner in aust and i still have the unlimited 2.814 software further guarantee this!!!

but before i upgrade to euro on the sct i want written guarantee's that this will not happen to me just as the pay extra for the fg upgrade came up out of the blue? or the hp tuners pay by the vehicle system!

remember we signed up for unlimited write's and all future model's so it is not only morally wrong but legally i would say. again this has not affected me as yet but for the public and for those who it has affected, how can we guarantee the future of all our investments?

how do we feel comfortable SCT don't have another mood swing?

would it not have been smart to sued the culprit if the acusations were true and not affect thousands of inocent customers and tuners? don't need to answer this one just asked it as all who know me know i am the biggest advocate of value for money for all the auto industry!

please answer the ones you can or email me rob has my email this is not to stir the pot but to voice the concerns of 380 plus tuned customers of mine and ultimately mine too!
You should consider staying out of this, you have too many fingers in too many pies and ultimately, TOO MUCH PERSONAL BIAS.

Why do you chose this time, when things are almost totally resolved, to come in here stirring the pot (it's laughable that you even try to assure us you are not). You have done enough damage around the place without coming on here, no sponsorship, no morals and spin this "how do we feel comfortable SCT don't have another mood swing?" crap.

You just keep using your blood sucker programs, and let SCT get their issues sorted out in this forum properly.

Daniel
Old 02-02-2009, 10:31 PM   #110
loony888

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathers
That is the post I read. Nowhere does it mention that our boxes need to be registered. Only the tuners need register.

This is how people get confused.

yep, sorry guys, i misread it, sorry for the confusion.

paul.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:37 PM   #111
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

To Rob, or anyone that has authority to tell us:

(1) In what timeframe will you be able to provide us more detail about

(a) The phase-out period - can 12 months be correct? It's better than 90 days, but far short of the advertised capabilities of the product.
(b) The XCal1 to XCal3 changeover scheme/promotion? And will this promotion have a finite lifespan?

(2) What will be the nature of the phase-out? Will it be lights out on a certain date? Natural attrition? Death by monkeys? (I've always wanted to say that since Toy Story 2)

Luke
Old 02-02-2009, 10:40 PM   #112
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Plaizier
To Rob, or anyone that has authority to tell us:

(1) In what timeframe will you be able to provide us more detail about

(a) The phase-out period - can 12 months be correct? It's better than 90 days, but far short of the advertised capabilities of the product.
(b) The XCal1 to XCal3 changeover scheme/promotion? And will this promotion have a finite lifespan?

(2) What will be the nature of the phase-out? Will it be lights out on a certain date? Natural attrition? Death by monkeys? (I've always wanted to say that since Toy Story 2)

Luke

Good questions there, is it still in negotiation phase, has there been a decision, when are we likely to find out?
Old 02-02-2009, 10:49 PM   #113
SpoolMan

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynowog

please answer the ones you can or email me
Best take them up direct with SCT, according to our records your not supposed to be here...

Old 02-02-2009, 10:57 PM   #114
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ok the xcal1 is back on.
If someone knows any other facts i should know could you please post them.

Sorry but this thread is a bit of a minefeild
Old 02-02-2009, 11:03 PM   #115
blueluvr

Wow, I have never heard of such a thing being done? What the?

I only happened to stumble onto this thread by a locked one in the T forum.

I am not a customer of one of these boxes, but I was going to be in a couple of months for my T based on the fact it appears to be the only one that the masses recommend. (well, the masses did until the last 3 days it seems!)

The only thread I have read is this one, and it's becoming very twisted and frustrating to try and work out exactly what's happening here. if i am barking up the wrong tree it is only because i can't seem to work out EXACTLY what's going on.
I would like to see a link to the thread that alerted to the dramas initially. I want to see what their mindset was/is as a business. Just like i don't buy ANY product if I feel the manufacturer has shady morals/ideals for whatever reason, the same will apply here.

I was planning on buying V2 for my BFmk2 T in the next 6 or so months, but i now have serious Qs first.

If so, how long is it going to be before you decide it's time to "turn it off" so to speak, or in other words when do you, the manufacturer (or importer or whoever) decide i must upgrade to a newer model if I need to retune down the track for any reason?

Should I just go for the V3 instead ( ahh, now the penny is dropping! )
Now if i do, can you guarantee this too will not be shut off after a given period?

If I buy a second hand V2, will it be able to be sent off and reset to my car like people used to do with the old one?

after looking at what I can see of this whole thing, which I will suggest seems a little shady, I would be wanting either a disclaimer or a guaranteed period in which I can use this unit. I do not want to find myself buying a unit under the idea that it will work on my BF until the car, or i die, then be told by someone one day, any day in the future, that i need to update my box as the manufacturer has decided it should no longer work.

It may sound like I'm demanding answers here, but I'm not. It is your choice to answer them, or not, but your answers, or lack of, will dictate my decision to buy......or not.
I am a stubborn mongrel sometimes, and have many times gone without, or found alternate solutions, purely on principle.

And as someone else said earlier, it's NOT about the money, it IS about the principle.

Regards
Paul
Old 02-02-2009, 11:09 PM   #116
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdave351
**Opinion deleted**
No, Daniel believes that anyone that uses Sniper or HP Tuner is a "blood sucker". There are a lot of tuners in this country that are not naive enough to simply use one product - they use a multiple of products like SCT, Sniper and HP Tuners for Fords, HP Tuners, EFI Live, LS1 Edit for the GM vehicles.

Imagine trying to rebuild an engine with nothing but a shifter :
Old 02-02-2009, 11:48 PM   #117
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
This has absolutely nothing to do with depreciation, and all to do with the many folk who've just purchased the X1. Don't think for one second everyone is well off and don't care that they unnecessarily need to upgrade to X3 - which isn't even up to date (how would our response be if BMW exported their 2004 model, telling us it's the latest and greatest? And charge full price, just to rub it in!!).

There's a huge difference between knowing that you're giving the seller a profit when buying a product, and being told after you've just bought this product that your product will not operate as it was intended to. Do you think that's acceptable? I await Rob's replies to my last question posted earlier; how will these people be compensated? If they believe the former distributor is at fault, why have they not pursued them legally?
Old 03-02-2009, 12:09 AM   #118
CAT600
I miss my wheelbarrow
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out fellow AFF members... Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Daniels knowledge of modular engines and superchargers is extremely valuable to the AFF community. I have learnt quite a bit just reading his build threads. His contributions are often utilised by other members. 

Quote:
No, Daniel believes that anyone that uses Sniper or HP Tuner is a "blood sucker". There are a lot of tuners in this country that are not naive enough to simply use one product - they use a multiple of products like SCT, Sniper and HP Tuners for Fords, HP Tuners, EFI Live, LS1 Edit for the GM vehicles...
That is actually not true. As I have stated several times now, Sniper (and now HP tuners so I found out) have the potential to be a very destructive force in this aspect of the aftermarket car industry. The product is not the cause of wrong doing, rather the lack of control that ANYBODY has to stop wrongdoers using it to their gain, and the detriment of others. The "example" above is a classic case of it, and there are others, some are closer to home than I would like. But we have been there Jason, and it is yet to get us anywhere, and especially here and now in the context of this thread.

The words "Sniper" and "HP Tuners" should not even be uttered in this thread, this thread is about resolving SCT issues.

That is, unless we are talking about part of the reason that this came to a head in the first place?............

Daniel
Old 03-02-2009, 12:11 AM   #119
timmy1300000
Black AU Falcon Forte II

what someone said before about the economic fail in the US made alot of sense to me
companies are looking for any way to get there hands on the cash and i guess this is sct's
unless my X1 can be retuned until it dies i will no be buying another sct product
Old 03-02-2009, 12:12 AM   #120
SpoolMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT600
The words "Sniper" and "HP Tuners" should not even be uttered in this thread, this thread is about resolving SCT issues.

That is, unless we are talking about part of the reason that this came to a head in the first place?............
"Sniper" and "HP Tuners" discussions will be finished via PM...or start a thread in the appropriate forum..

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmy1300000
what someone said before about the economic fail in the US made alot of sense to me
companies are looking for any way to get there hands on the cash and i guess this is sct's
product
covered and covered in 3 other closed threads.
We are now drawing closer to another one..

Closed Thread