Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-03-2018, 01:44 PM   #91
Fed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Driving on the phone.

Anyone remember rolling the 4 Pennies down the groove?
Fed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2018, 01:45 PM   #92
Blue Shadow
R.I.P. Maggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fed View Post
Christ your old. And I do remember
Blue Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-03-2018, 02:37 PM   #93
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

That's why I bought a car with lane departure. Makes it safer to text

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
arronm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 15-03-2018, 02:53 PM   #94
GO FURTHER

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

I remember when mobile phones (I mean bricks) first came out and were $7,000 to buy.

The joke we used to say to make out we were wealthy was when someone rang you in the car.....

“Do you mind if I put you on hold for a minute... My other mobile is ringing”.

Of course in those days it was legal to hold a mobile phone while driving.
GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-03-2018, 03:07 PM   #95
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olbucko View Post
But then we were all in the same boat, now a tradie or contractor working from his car would be totally uncompetitive without a mobile.
Back then urgent meant some time by the end of the week, today it means in the next hour.
Funny thing is, 30 years ago tradies actually turned up when they said they would
au350hp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 15-03-2018, 04:58 PM   #96
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wasn't quite old enough for the suitcase mobiles, but my first one was a solid plastic & steel brick not much smaller than a paver. I remember my best mate's dad had a full-on "car phone" in his work ute in the late 80s - it was a number of boxes bolted in behind the seats, and would flash the lights & honk the horn when it rang. The handset was on the console, connected with a curly cord. We used to wait until he'd just sat down to lunch & ring it....

I had one of these car kits back in the mid 90s:

My mate used to get drunk, and if we pulled up at the lights beside a car with young ladies, he'd grab the little remote handset, pull it through to the back, and pretend he was talking on a phone like in a limo. It failed to impress the many girls he tried it on....

Anyone under 20 these days would have no idea about 8-segment LED displays, and times before SMS could be done on the phone.
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 15-03-2018, 05:00 PM   #97
davenl5l
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniacidz View Post
Don't go there

They are allowed during the course of their duty and trained

Legally allowed.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk
With radio communication and on board computers why would they need to be on the phone while driving ?
Old 15-03-2018, 05:01 PM   #98
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Me!

Anyone remember super-gluing their foot to the floor of the phone box when trying to make an "unlimited" std call?

Yes....me...

ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2018, 05:30 PM   #99
uniacidz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenl5l View Post
With radio communication and on board computers why would they need to be on the phone while driving ?
Have a really good think about it

VX SS (R.I.P)
VE Berlina
uniacidz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-03-2018, 05:34 PM   #100
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
But then we were all in the same boat, now a tradie or contractor working from his car would be totally uncompetitive without a mobile.
Back then urgent meant some time by the end of the week, today it means in the next hour.
To me it means in the next six months, I don't even answer the phone on site, that's what messagebank and emails are for.
I figure, if you can employ a Stonemason next week there must be something really wrong with him to be available.
I see builders who spent all day on the phone and I'm the one who has to listen to their "on speaker" conversations all about nothing they could have arranged when they got home.
I wonder why owner builders pay these guys hourly rates to talk relentlessly on the phone its been 2 weeks for 2 guys to build a small deck I could have built by myself in a week.

rant over.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2018, 05:41 PM   #101
Big_Daz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by commodorenutt View Post
I wasn't quite old enough for the suitcase mobiles, but my first one was a solid plastic & steel brick not much smaller than a paver. I remember my best mate's dad had a full-on "car phone" in his work ute in the late 80s - it was a number of boxes bolted in behind the seats, and would flash the lights & honk the horn when it rang. The handset was on the console, connected with a curly cord. We used to wait until he'd just sat down to lunch & ring it....

My mate used to get drunk, and if we pulled up at the lights beside a car with young ladies, he'd grab the little remote handset, pull it through to the back, and pretend he was talking on a phone like in a limo. It failed to impress the many girls he tried it on....

Anyone under 20 these days would have no idea about 8-segment LED displays, and times before SMS could be done on the phone.
My old man worked for Telstra for 40 years so always had the "newest" mobile phone... I remember the Phone in the Case you had to carry around from when I was a young feller.. He still has one in his shed actually... And the first carphones, etc.. He had them in his company cars. Was funny to see the technology evolve....

My nephew(14 years old) had the ****s when my brother wouldn't buy him a new iPhone and he was stuck with his "brick"... They showed him the mobile phone in a case and that shut him up.. ha ha..

Hers: 2024 Ford Everest Platinum in Equinox Bronze
His Daily: 2020 (MY21) Kia Sorento GT-Line in Mineral Blue
His Weekender: 2017 Commodore SSV Redline manual in Light My Fire Orange
Big_Daz is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2018, 05:47 PM   #102
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Daz View Post
My old man worked for Telstra for 40 years so always had the "newest" mobile phone... I remember the Phone in the Case you had to carry around from when I was a young feller.. He still has one in his shed actually... And the first carphones, etc.. He had them in his company cars. Was funny to see the technology evolve....

My nephew(14 years old) had the ****s when my brother wouldn't buy him a new iPhone and he was stuck with his "brick"... They showed him the mobile phone in a case and that shut him up.. ha ha..
I can remember the size of the battery you had to carry around with it.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2018, 06:40 PM   #103
GCRXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
What groove.
Old 15-03-2018, 06:48 PM   #104
GCRXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Oh yes...the early days of mobile phones...laughs aplenty. Wife and I were enjoying a cupa in a local shopping centre as this dude walked past, talking quite loudly into his large phone. Making a great impression he thought. Ohhh the look on his face when the flamin' thing rang.
Old 15-03-2018, 08:33 PM   #105
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniacidz View Post
Don't go there

They are allowed during the course of their duty and trained

Legally allowed.

lol they are still subject to the laws of cause and effect. Seen a video of a nsw police HighUndies iMax Van slam into a row of stationary cars at a traffic light. You guess it, mr constable was using his phone while driving.
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2018, 08:36 PM   #106
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:

Why would the phone honk the horn when ringing isn't the purpose of a the phone ringing to alert the driver , not other drivers of an incoming call ?
Old 15-03-2018, 08:38 PM   #107
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by arronm View Post
That's why I bought a car with lane departure. Makes it safer to text
A wealthy client of mine bought a Mercedes GLE and was bragging about the autonomous braking , lane departure control and the ability for the car to follow the car in front. And he could watch the footy and cricket on the ICC, and text while driving..
Old 15-03-2018, 08:55 PM   #108
.:4:.
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
A wealthy client of mine bought a Mercedes GLE and was bragging about the autonomous braking , lane departure control and the ability for the car to follow the car in front. And he could watch the footy and cricket on the ICC, and text while driving..
And any accident damage is covered under warranty yeah? What happens when the rental car on their next holiday doesnt self drive or self park? To be fair i own an older car with parking sensors and stuff, but i drive a newer car with nothing and I can manage to park it and even change lanes on my own. I think it's called driving, not sure if thats the correct word. Also the auto is crap in the ute because there is no D position and you need to push the clutch then move the shifter to make it shift. It sucks because you cant just keep looking up stuff on the phone.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2018, 09:09 PM   #109
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
Why would the phone honk the horn when ringing isn't the purpose of a the phone ringing to alert the driver , not other drivers of an incoming call ?
The phone was wired to the horn so one would be alerted to the phone in the car if they weren,t in the car at the time,ie on a work site,same with the flashing headlights.The base was set up so the lights and horn didn,t go off when the engine was running.
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-03-2018, 10:15 PM   #110
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
The phone was wired to the horn so one would be alerted to the phone in the car if they weren,t in the car at the time,ie on a work site,same with the flashing headlights.The base was set up so the lights and horn didn,t go off when the engine was running.
My father worked for Rothmans Tobacco all his life and in the late 80's, they fitted the reps & managers cars with the phones you describe with the horn/lights combo. Needless to say, they all hated them! A few years later, the phone that you could plug in to the car or carry with you. Still was the size of a paver though. Motorola comes to mind.
au350hp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2018, 10:55 PM   #111
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roostercam View Post
My father worked for Rothmans Tobacco all his life and in the late 80's, they fitted the reps & managers cars with the phones you describe with the horn/lights combo. Needless to say, they all hated them! A few years later, the phone that you could plug in to the car or carry with you. Still was the size of a paver though. Motorola comes to mind.
In the 91 cressida my dad had as a work car, it had a wired car phone. Later dad got a Motorola brick that had a massive 8 minute talk time from the big battery. The small battery was weak. And the pull up Arial and the charger where you'd take the battery off the phone to put the charger like a battery drill. The analogue phone network got canned in 98 so Nokia 5110s were the replacement. I may be a tad off but my first phone was a new 5110 in 97 on the changeover to a digital
network . I dont really remember as i was only 10 but in general the numbers sort of work out.
Old 15-03-2018, 11:30 PM   #112
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Got my first digital - an Alcatel brick, in August 1995. Reception was woeful - even with a pull-up aerial. There simply weren't enough digital towers around. It came with a cradle charger & a 2nd battery that sat in the rear slot of the charger. It survived a number of falls off ladders & other risky tumbles, but you couldn't kill it. My wife had a Motorola Flare at the time. I replaced the Alcatel in November '96 with a Nokia - the 1610, which even came with a VHS video to show you how to use it.... The Nokia 5110 came out a year or 2 after that, and is probably responsible fo the well known Nokia ring tone that invaded everywhere for a good few years.

I always stuck with Nokia for my own phones - having a string of them, including the 8210 (tiny little thing now - the first one that lit up blue), 3210, and I think it was a 6230 or something - the first with a colour screen.
The last 2 I had were the camera-style slider 6111, and the E71 with a full keyboard, before going iPhone since Sept 2008.

Work phones were an interesting mix of Nokia, then O2 Atom things, then back to Nokia - the 6233 was one of my favourites - it was just easy to hold & use.
The the last 6 or so years have been Samsung.

Amazing how far they've come in such a short time. Something like 15 years ago it was pretty much green LCD screens and beeping ring tones.
Old 16-03-2018, 12:00 AM   #113
Kicking back

Well...

Last edited by .:4:.; 16-03-2018 at 12:13 AM. Reason: I'm an idiot.
Old 16-03-2018, 12:59 AM   #114
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

Nokia 5110 was my fist phone 1998. Was tiny compared to other phones. Also had t he trady 5140

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
arronm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2018, 01:41 AM   #115
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roostercam View Post
My father worked for Rothmans Tobacco
Was that at Blaxcell St, Guildford?

I used to have a girlfriend lived up near the school.

ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2018, 10:57 AM   #116
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by arronm View Post
Nokia 5110 was my fist phone 1998. Was tiny compared to other phones. Also had t he trady 5140
Fond memories of the in-car Motorola car-phone my old man had in his EBII ford falcon. It was permanently attached to the car via a pigtail cord that went under the centre console. Then when the EF came along, they had the Ericcson GH688 mobile which had a detachable cradle, and the voice would come through the radio speakers automatically while docked. There was also a microphone mounted above the drivers door. The good old 90s though ....
Old 16-03-2018, 11:26 AM   #117
Olbucko
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

From 2000 to 2015 I had 5 different Nokia's that just slotted into a cradle screwed to the dashboard, the cradle automatically made the phones light turn on, connected it to the external roof aerial, the charger, the mike near the sun visor, and activated the auto answer and hang up, made it totally hands free. If you wanted to make a call you could program in 9 numbers that you could call by pushing just one button. A better set up than many of todays "smartphones"
Old 16-03-2018, 11:32 AM   #118
stig_3754

Quote:
From 2000 to 2015 I had 5 different Nokia's that just slotted into a cradle screwed to the dashboard, the cradle automatically made the phones light turn on, connected it to the external roof aerial, the charger, the mike near the sun visor, and activated the auto answer and hang up, made it totally hands free. If you wanted to make a call you could program in 9 numbers that you could call by pushing just one button. A better set up than many of todays "smartphones"
Except that with 'Smartphones', you don't need to screw any cradles into the dash, nor connect to any antennas, and with bluetooth you can answer the call with a press of a button on the steering well, as well as use voice control to dial a number/contact. A much better setup if you ask me...

Past Rides:
1997 EL Ford Fairmont 4A - Navy Blue
2006 BK Mazda 3 SP23 5A - Carbon Grey
2010 LV Ford Focus XR5 Turbo 6M - Frozen White
2013 LW Ford Focus ST 6M - Panther Black
stig_3754 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2018, 12:50 PM   #119
GO FURTHER

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

Quote:
I must say, I do miss the dedicated Nokia cradles with built-in charger port.
Slip your phone in and it charges straight away, no silly USB cables to worry about.

Why is it so hard these days to buy cradles with built-in lightning or micro USB connections for Andriod and iPhones?
GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2018, 01:01 PM   #120
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO FURTHER View Post
Why is it so hard these days to buy cradles with built-in lightning or micro USB connections for Andriod and iPhones?
I haven't had any issues - but you do have to spend reasonable $$.

I have a Brodit cradle I use all the time (mounted to a Nokia mount ironically).
I initially bought to suit a Galaxy S3 I had at the time. I found the S7 I have now (which went back to a single micro-USB) slipped straight into it - with the plug aligned perfectly - all I had to do was dremel out the more rounded corners (to suit the S3) which now lets the S7 sit in it perfectly, and charge on the go.

If you get on ebay & type in your phone model and "brodit" you'll most likely get a number of hits - particularly from the UK. It may cost you $70 or so, but it's worth it.