Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-08-2012, 03:41 AM   #91
graham7773
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Highbeams saves $$

Re stopping for accidents, I have seen and heard of a number of good samaritans stopping to help then geting injured or killed by the w******s half asleep at the wheel who were following them. If I can stop safely, I will. If I can't do it safely, I will call "000" and report the location of the accident asap ie, first stopping bay. I have to say that in the last year I have driven to Queensland and back 3 times and I set my cruise a little over the speed limit on whatever road I am on. From memory, I have been flashed 3 times. I do not slow down, just be a bit more observant and on every occasion I was flashed, there were no police, accidents or debris on the road. Must be a few myopic people driving who cannot judge the speed of oncoming traffic
graham7773 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2012, 10:07 AM   #92
XR6TCraig
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

LOL.
What if you don't have phone reception?

A guy I work with came across a car in a rising creek during the wet season earlier this year at about 5AM on his way to work in a quite remote area with dodgy phone reception. He pulled up on the roadside which had no shoulder, so in a somewhat dangerous place. The water was thigh deep and rising. He made his way to the car and helped the driver and passenger to safety. His efforts literally saved these peoples lives as 1 hour later the car was completely submerged.

I bet the people he saved are glad you weren't going past instead of my work mate Graham! By the time you found a stopping bay ( noneexist around here for about 1000klm), got phone reception and then the emergency services drove 45 minutes to locate the car they would have drowned!

Last edited by XR6TCraig; 23-08-2012 at 10:17 AM.
XR6TCraig is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2012, 01:28 PM   #93
AndrewR_AUII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

On a Mobile if you ring 112 the phone will use any network within range, not just the one your SIM card has you using.
AndrewR_AUII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2012, 01:37 PM   #94
rst2000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewR_AUII
On a Mobile if you ring 112 the phone will use any network within range, not just the one your SIM card has you using.

this is for 000 calls, very useful info.
rst2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2012, 01:51 PM   #95
Ducati888
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Molloy
Apparently If you just flick your lights on off instead of high beams you can't get done, that's wha I've heard anyway.
And I always flash the lights for oncoming traffic for speed cameras etc...

I do that too, but the problem is, how can you prove to the copper that you used low beams and not high? If they want to book you for high it doesn't matter what you say.

Unfortunately in courts these days magistrates will side with the cops on their word even though many of them are putrid lying scumbags, because they are sworn officers of the law.

Best thing is that these days, your chances of being pulled over by a cop are so riduculously remote, that it's worth the risk. The camera cars and private operators can't do anything about it.
Old 23-08-2012, 01:53 PM   #96
Ducati888
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rst2000
this is for 000 calls, very useful info.

112 can be triangulated and traced through the digital mobile network. 000 can't be. If you don't know where you are, they can tell you if you use 112.

Most phones will be able to call 000 or 112 even without a SIM in them.
Old 23-08-2012, 01:59 PM   #97
GhiaEB
2004 TX Territory

Quote:
You can call that number from a phone without a sim card also.

Now a AWD TX Territory Daily
P6 Silver Monarch Weekender

And on 2 Wheels,
ZZR 250

Can do mixer shaft replacement on BA-BF Falcon and SX-SY, fix your heater Today. PM For more details

For sale: Heaps of Territory bits and bobs including front brembo doglegs, NOS I-design territory body kit painted offshore, also FPV 290 engine bits. FS thread here http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11397826 Pm for more details.
GhiaEB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2012, 02:03 PM   #98
XR6TCraig
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah but you still need to have some signal from a digital network of some sort.

I travel in an area every time I drive to work (its a 150klm drive through rural area and bush) where there is no signal at all from any carrier. 112 is useless unless it utilizes GPS, which I don't believe it does.
Old 23-08-2012, 02:05 PM   #99
Ducati888
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Correct, you need a signal but sometimes it will work even when there doesn't appear to be a signal. Not everywhere though.
Old 23-08-2012, 03:02 PM   #100
sneaky
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

also the 112 number can be dialled with the phone locked also..

my phone has a pin to get into the phone, if you don't know the pin you can push 'emergency call' button and dial 112/000.

very helpful info to know, and to tell the kids incase you are the one that needs help.
Old 23-08-2012, 03:45 PM   #101
Dave3911

Quote:
This is old information for phones sold prior to January 2002.

ACMA Legislated that any phone sold in Australia after January 2002 must initiate a roaming emergency call from 000 and not just 112. Someone using an old handset or a handset bought overseas, may still encounter this problem, but for the far majority of users ringing 112 does absolutely nothing different from ringing 000.

http://www.acma.gov.au/WEB/STANDARD/pc=PC_100575
Dave3911 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2012, 03:56 PM   #102
my_gxl
Unintended Perfectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopped
I use to flash my lights to warn of speed cameras but then I got busted one day. Detectives in an unmarked car pulled me over and held me up for about 10mins. Checked all of my car, told me off, etc, then let me off with a warning. Must have been a slow day for them !

I'm very wary of doing it now.
Detectives don't carry ticket books, so what they did is all they can do.
my_gxl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2012, 06:59 PM   #103
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craiginmackay
LOL.
What if you don't have phone reception?

A guy I work with came across a car in a rising creek during the wet season earlier this year at about 5AM on his way to work in a quite remote area with dodgy phone reception. He pulled up on the roadside which had no shoulder, so in a somewhat dangerous place. The water was thigh deep and rising. He made his way to the car and helped the driver and passenger to safety. His efforts literally saved these peoples lives as 1 hour later the car was completely submerged.

I bet the people he saved are glad you weren't going past instead of my work mate Graham! By the time you found a stopping bay ( noneexist around here for about 1000klm), got phone reception and then the emergency services drove 45 minutes to locate the car they would have drowned!
Pulling over to help someone in the middle of no where at 5am is A LOT different to pulling over to help some one at 5pm in the middle of a city. In the city you have to pull up somewhere which will not cause another accident or kill you.

I have witnessed a few accidents, each time I was at a location where I could not safely pull over. Luckly all these accidents were at busy times where others were forced to stop or could pull over safely.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2012, 08:45 PM   #104
XR6TCraig
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just because a location is remote, doesn't mean the road is quite busy, or that pulling over is any less dangerous. The roads I am referring to service the local mines.
Depending on the day, you can be over 100klm from anywhere but in one big snaking convoy at 5AM in the morning! Lots of heavy loads, 4WDs as well as sedans and utes use these roads at that time of the morning. These roads are so overloaded and were not built for the volume of traffic they currently have using them. They dont have any shoulder either, so pulling over just on dawn is pretty bloody scary. I would much rather pull off the M3 or M4 in peak hour. At least there is a decent shoulder and you have a chance to get right off the road.

Last edited by XR6TCraig; 23-08-2012 at 08:56 PM.
Old 23-08-2012, 08:50 PM   #105
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The topic is flashing warnings.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2012, 08:51 PM   #106
Fireblade
Wizard Member

Look what I started