JD is a DH. 'Nuff said.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 19-01-2013, 01:59 PM   #92
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Default Re: Dowling reckons End of road for Falcon and Commodore in 2016

Oh and those Ford Fans with. Twitter account. Follow Josh Dowling and ask him questions about his grand statements and assumptions and lack of fact checking. Keep calm and rational but firm and questioning.

I'm not saying he's trying to manipulate the story or avoid scrutiny of of wild and damaging assumptions ( however close to the truth they may turn out to be, they ARE assumptions.), but you will last about two questions before he bans you. It would be good if all 80,000 members of this forum did it in one weekend.

Great for a laugh and an insight into our free and open media.
Old 19-01-2013, 02:26 PM   #93
Rodge
Banned

There does seem to be "an orchestrated campaign" against Ford by JD, perhaps Ford need to ask their lawyers if they shouldn't be sending a formal "cease and desist" letter with the usual overt threat of litigation.

I also wonder if it isn't time for some of the guys at the plant to go and have a little "chat" with JD in person.
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2013, 03:36 PM   #94
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGM86 View Post
Ford really needs to say something to address all the lies, assumptions, and misinformation that is dominating the media at the moment. I've replied to a couple of online articles disputing their claims, but I'm just one person.
And this is the part that ***** me the most! Ford Australia knows this is coming at this time of year. Last year was no different. Yet Ford Australia seems to go on Holidays at this time of the year & doesn’t give stuff. I mean where is that PR lady that spent the last 6 months of last year writing on here. Gone, no where to be seen. Nothing on their face book page, nothing on their web page. It might as well be true because Ford can't be stuffed correcting the error! With the world of "social media" Ford could fix this very quickly & bypass other media outlets & get the real & right message out there. It is free to post on your own face book page Ford Australia!!

Last edited by Joe5619; 19-01-2013 at 03:42 PM.
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-01-2013, 06:35 PM   #95
AdrianStott
Starter Motor

I think it is time that Ford, Holden and in some part the Australian Government promote our local Falcons and Commodores as being great vehicles, built for Australian conditions. I purchased my first Falcon in 2011 having driven Korean and Japanese cars for many years. My 4.0L Falcon shocked me with its efficiency on 98 unleaded fuel and the capped price services cost a fraction of that for Jap and Korean equivalents that I have owned.

I was able to purchase a new windscreen for $200, try that with a Korean or Jap car! My insurance premiums are so much lower too. In the recent heat wave my black car was cool inside in mid 40s outside temperatures while many foreign car drivers complained their air conditioning wasn't working effectively.

I think that the Australia motoring public is overlooking Aussie cars because they are not promoted as a more cost effective option when it comes to overall running costs.
AdrianStott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 19-01-2013, 07:08 PM   #96
babyf6
Young Ford Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianStott View Post
In the recent heat wave my black car was cool inside in mid 40s outside temperatures while many foreign car drivers complained their air conditioning wasn't working effectively.
My uncle rented a white hyundai elantra, the minute the temperature got above 30 degrees, the radio would not work and nor would the aircon. Then he drove his first falcon when he came to our place for xmas, he now plans to buy one for him and his family.
Old 19-01-2013, 07:41 PM   #97
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianStott View Post

I think that the Australia motoring public is overlooking Aussie cars because they are not promoted as a more cost effective option when it comes to overall running costs.
Ford tried that with the EcoLPI against a Corolla.

Societal trends are an unstoppable tidal wave that currently popular cars ride on. The same applied to the Falcon & Commodore for many years.
This user likes this post:
Old 19-01-2013, 07:56 PM   #98
Sprint347
Tickford

Rather than crucify a journalist save Ford yourself, go buy a Ford!
SZ Territory TS RWD TDCi
Sprint347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 19-01-2013, 09:53 PM   #99
Dalonian
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprint347 View Post
Couldn't be more right..

My Show and Shine thread:

https://fordforums.com.au/showthread...27#post5975027
Dalonian is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2013, 10:10 PM   #100
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archilino View Post
So the falcon should die because Ford fans on a Ford forum stick the boot into its arch enemy? Great logic genius...
Correction... Not arch enemy.
The real arch enemies come from Japan, China and certain brands from Europe now.

Its not the 1970's anymore
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-01-2013, 12:55 AM   #101
stevz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MethodX View Post
Correction... Not arch enemy.
The real arch enemies come from Japan, China and certain brands from Europe now.

Its not the 1970's anymore
Well said.

I'm so sick of this childish Holden vs Ford rubbish. While some here are too busy blindly sticking their boots into Holden, the imports - who are the real enemy, are slowly but surely killing our Aussie icons. Wake up people!!!
stevz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-01-2013, 01:04 AM   #102
BroadyFord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619 View Post
And this is the part that ***** me the most! Ford Australia knows this is coming at this time of year. Last year was no different. Yet Ford Australia seems to go on Holidays at this time of the year & doesn’t give stuff. I mean where is that PR lady that spent the last 6 months of last year writing on here. Gone, no where to be seen. Nothing on their face book page, nothing on their web page. It might as well be true because Ford can't be stuffed correcting the error! With the world of "social media" Ford could fix this very quickly & bypass other media outlets & get the real & right message out there. It is free to post on your own face book page Ford Australia!!
For all we know Ford may be letting Dowling & Co do all the dirty work for them if their intention is to shut down production - i.e. people have been fed the idea that Ford in Australia are gone so when the official announcement is made it won't come as such a shock.

If Ford say nothing then you cannot blame people for speculating on what will happen.
BroadyFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2013, 01:37 AM   #103
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadyFord View Post
For all we know Ford may be letting Dowling & Co do all the dirty work for them if their intention is to shut down production - i.e. people have been fed the idea that Ford in Australia are gone so when the official announcement is made it won't come as such a shock.

If Ford say nothing then you cannot blame people for speculating on what will happen.
For all we know, Ford has not decided yet which way is more cost effective,

1) continue local manufacture with Euro 6 Falcon and Territory

2) close down production and replace with RHD versions of imported global platforms

The latter option may indeed prove more expensive than simply continuing with Falcon/Territory.
Th cost of closing down production is probably better spent on continuing development of the local products..
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2013, 11:10 AM   #104
Archilino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevz View Post
Well said.

I'm so sick of this childish Holden vs Ford rubbish. While some here are too busy blindly sticking their boots into Holden, the imports - who are the real enemy, are slowly but surely killing our Aussie icons. Wake up people!!!
And yet to this day what is the falcon always compared to by newspapers, magazines etc? The Commodore, always has always will.
The commodore is confirmed dead in 2017/18, if the falcon survives past it could flourish as the last man standing. Survival of the fittest.
Archilino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2013, 11:19 AM   #105
Thunder
I.B.S is a pain in d'***

Quote:
........The commodore is confirmed dead in 2017/18, if the falcon survives past it could flourish as the last man standing. Survival of the fittest.
How many external companies (component suppliers) supply to the 3 local manufacturers (Holden, Ford, Toyoya) that would be effected by the removal of the Commodore? Last man standing is a much worse scenario.
Old 20-01-2013, 11:35 AM   #106
Archilino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
How many external companies (component suppliers) supply to the 3 local manufacturers (Holden, Ford, Toyoya) that would be effected by the removal of the Commodore? Last man standing is a much worse scenario.
Agree 100% but its already started sadly, a parts company a friend has worked at for over 30 years has had their parts quota slashed to bare minimum for the VF (now sourced o/s) because the company is always on the brink and asking for handouts.
Archilino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2013, 11:40 AM   #107
Thunder
I.B.S is a pain in d'***

Quote:
Agree 100% but its already started sadly, a parts company a friend has worked at for over 30 years has had their parts quota slashed to bare minimum for the VF (now sourced o/s) because the company is always on the brink and asking for handouts.
Correct. So you can image what further impact the removal of the Commodore will have on the rest of the manufacturing here?

I hope the VF is successfull, but more importantly only if it is a much better quality car than the VE. This will help lift all Australian automotive manufacturing in general.
Old 20-01-2013, 09:49 PM   #108
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not sure if this Dowling articles been posted or not yet, couldn't find an electronic version so hopefully my phone pic is readable!
They didn't even get a pic of a current Falcon!

mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2013, 09:58 PM   #109
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Dowling in Detriot..as if...his home tossing on the toilet in front of the mirror. Slack *****.

Did you see some comments about himself on his FB page? Self proclaimed critic and nitpicker...says it all. Scumbag.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 20-01-2013, 10:04 PM   #110
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

What? Couldnt even find a picture of an FG for the article??

Moron.
This user likes this post:
Old 21-01-2013, 01:25 AM   #111
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagleheart View Post
What? Couldnt even find a picture of an FG for the article??

Moron.
Whoever does the graphics at the paper, doesn't know the difference between a BF and a FG, which has always been one of the problems for FG frankly, as a lot of non car people simply don't.

I reread the original launch story for FG Falcon in Wheels the other day, this is back in 2008 when they were driving press cars and sprinkled all through it was how the authors were shocked and concerned that no one seemed to notice they were driving a new design Falcon. They actually state they hope it doesn't become a problem for FG, while mentioning the names of the FG designers and saying they wouldn't be comforted by the lack of attention the car was getting.

Personally I think the FG Series One is in my top three designs of Falcon since it started, but its styling is certainly on the evolutionary path. No surprise given how AU was received at its launch.

Series two is more distinctive, at least in XR guise, but looks like a Falcon trying to look like a Mondeo on no budget and looking shocked at itself with the result (those headlights!). Either that or Falcon is a boy and something in the rear suspension setup is to tight.

Last edited by DanielXR8; 21-01-2013 at 01:32 AM.
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2013, 01:58 AM   #112
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

meh, i pay this bloke no attention, i understand he`s just trying to make a quid, but his articles always seem to have the same tone, obviously nothing lasts forever, so if the and when the day ever does come, what`s he going to do for a headline when there`s no local cars? and he`s not making himself too many friends in the Australian car industry continually shouting doom for the local cars.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2013, 02:44 AM   #113
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Im in the market for a new work rig . Been heading secondhand . Just read your post thought why not , New falcon ute would be nice .
Went to the site picked a xr6 cab chassis ticked a few boxes Nothing major ipod cable , premuim sound . Drive away 45k . common thats almost $200 a week on finance .
Been 7 years since i bought it new but my xr8 was 41k .
I know a lot has changed in that time but my income hasnt changed that much .
I would of thought that was turbo money or creeping to 5.0lt territory
It certainly is 4x4 money
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2013, 08:33 AM   #114
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Hey snappy. Forget the web and recommended retail pricing.

I got from pricing from my local dealer just before Xmas

2012 xr6 ute FG II
6 speed auto
19" rims
Le pack black trim bits.
Leather
Sat nav
Sports bar
Toneau cover
All the safety stuff

$34k drive away. Which I thought was enormously good value.

Just check car sales there is a few left for around that money, cheapest brand new ute is 28k. If you want a new one grab that on 2.5 %. Interest. Happy days.
Old 21-01-2013, 09:25 AM   #115
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodge View Post
There does seem to be "an orchestrated campaign" against Ford by JD, perhaps Ford need to ask their lawyers if they shouldn't be sending a formal "cease and desist" letter with the usual overt threat of litigation.
You do know the press think they have a free pass due to 'freedom of speech' and 'freedom of press'? Ford could never silence him with threats like that. they have to fight fire with fire and put out press releases that basically contradict everything he says.
Old 21-01-2013, 11:10 AM   #116
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

See if the TAB will take the bet: Will JD lose his job before Ford stop producing Falcon?
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2013, 01:04 PM   #117
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle View Post
You do know the press think they have a free pass due to 'freedom of speech' and 'freedom of press'? Ford could never silence him with threats like that. they have to fight fire with fire and put out press releases that basically contradict everything he says.
Yes, Ford do need to come out and put the Dowlstick in his box, but "freedom of speech" is not a free for all for anyone to say what they want, and attempt to stifle debate or rebuttal in the process - which is exactly what Dowling is doing.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2013, 01:20 PM   #118
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
But that would require people to put their money where their mouth is...hmmmm most would rather harp on about banning imports whilst buying second hand Falcons and Commodores..
Old 21-01-2013, 10:29 PM   #119
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched View Post
But that would require people to put their money where their mouth is...hmmmm most would rather harp on about banning imports whilst buying second hand Falcons and Commodores..
2nd hand is an economic thing. There will always be 2nd hand buyers looking for a bargain just as there will be people who insist on new vehicles. Falcon fans who insist on a used falcon still help prop up the resale values. Just like the demand for used hilux does. This helps resale and new vehicle buyers.

I think most used falcon buyers would be new falcon buyers given the cash to do so. Sure you get some dilution as a used falcon can cost as much as some cheap imports new. Bt then your comparing a new small 4cyl front driver with a falc

My point is there input is valued.

My 2c
Old 21-01-2013, 10:33 PM   #120
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

And lets not pretend that if every active member on AFF brought a new Falcon that it would have a dramatic effect on its fortunes.

Its not us ford has to convince, its everyone else. Problem is that once you loose your core customers everything else turns to poo.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post