Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-04-2012, 08:00 PM   #91
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Hyundai Veloster a sell-out success

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
Ever driven a Focus, its one of if not the best chassis in its class. Hence why it wasnt changed much from LV to LW.
This is what I thought the general concensus was. Up until now I've never heard or read any Criticisms of the new Focus' dynamics

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxa384
didnt ford territory also win wheels car of the year when it was first released??how'd that work out??lol

erm... pretty well I would have thought. A well deserved win. If your trying to make a point I have no idea what it is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta_Man69
Wheels also gave it's last Coty to a Honda Hybrid that has been heavily criticised as very average by most International Car Mags.... Wheels is a very poor excuse for a car mag, and any opinion of theirs should be disregarded by any learned car enthusiast.
Fair point about the Honda, questionable choice to say the least.

Anyway, I happen to have only read about the Focus in Wheels, which is the only reason I mentioned it. Dont wish to discuss Wheels mag any further in this thread.

I just want to know what 4.0i OHC's opinion on the Focus is based on.
tranquilized is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2012, 08:04 PM   #92
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.0i OHC
Yes I have, LS auto. I absolutely loved it. However, I was under the impression that the underpinnings were completely redone for the new model (except for the multi link IRS), and it was the LR to LS transition where things pretty much stayed the same. According the European car reviewers, the car is a step back from the old one in terms of dynamics and especially steering feel (the most important criterion when choosing a car IMO). One magazine described the car as being 'not very fun to drive, unlike previous Focuses' (I know those behind this mag know what they're talking about as they stated that the Mondeo was the best Ford available). I know that I trust them a lot more than I do Wheels. Regarding the arbitrary COTY choices, if you think that their last COTY was unfair, check out the results of the 2007 COTY.
Yes, the new car improved in areas such as ride quality and NVH, but I honestly do not care about those attributes. As well as this, the new Focus is a step backwards in terms of safety, interior space, interior ergonomics and the availability of a manual sedan. Because of this, when the mid year uni break comes around, I am probably going to buy myself an ex demo LVII Focus manual (most likely LX sedan, but I'll see what's available then).

Ok that answers my question, thanks.

I think its a fairly typical story - new models sacrificing driving dynamics for a more general level of refinement in order to appeal to the mainstream buyer. Its happening everywhere, which is a shame.
tranquilized is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2012, 08:31 PM   #93
Oxa384
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buntz93ED
I don't know why people are ragging on this car. Sure it's a Hyundai, but it's such a unique vehicle, and it looks hot.

If it had a Ford badge, people here would be building altars to it, and raving on about why it's not an SUV yet? Why it doesn't have EcoBoost yet? WHY DOESN'T IT HAVE A BENCH SEAT? No RTV version?

I don't like how this upstart is taking away consumers from our precious Ford. But they're selling cars, that are fine, and most importantly cheap. It's just unfortunate that everyone in the world isn't a car enthusiast.
i agree with the first part not the second part-

the whole "hyundai" brand has turned a massive corner and good on them if the product is good and (listen ford) its marketed well they will shake the bigger companys.
their whole range is solid with good warrantys and designs and innovation.
competition has only one winner the consumer imo
also interesting to see hyundai has sold more cars than ford YTD
people can not say this is a fluke.
Oxa384 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2012, 08:42 PM   #94
Oxa384
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquilized
erm... pretty well I would have thought. A well deserved win. If your trying to make a point I have no idea what it is...
balljoints,rust,diff bushes front n rear,overheating etc sorry i didnt make my point clear enough for you.maybe check the territory section or ill send you a copy of receipts my dad has had to spend on his 05 awd territory to keep it on the road.maybe he got a lemon with the amount of problems that he had go wrong but most of the problems are also common for this car.
Old 17-04-2012, 08:50 PM   #95
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
i agree with the first part not the second part-

the whole "hyundai" brand has turned a massive corner and good on them if the product is good and (listen ford) its marketed well they will shake the bigger companys.
their whole range is solid with good warrantys and designs and innovation.
competition has only one winner the consumer imo
also interesting to see hyundai has sold more cars than ford YTD
people can not say this is a fluke.
And good on'em. But I was raised a Ford man.. and issued with Rose tinted glasses thanks very much.

I just see how far they've come... and think of the threat the Chinese brands could be very soon. And how the hell everyone else will stave them off. The consumer wins... but what about the brand that's always been there, the ones that built the classics? These brands have no such pedigree...

Last edited by Buntz; 17-04-2012 at 08:55 PM.
Buntz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2012, 09:15 PM   #96
Oxa384
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buntz93ED
And good 'em. But I was raised a Ford man.. and issued with Rose tinted glasses thanks very much.

I just see how far they've come... and think of the threat the Chinese brands could be very soon. And how the hell everyone else will stave them off. The consumer wins... but what about the brand that's always been there, the ones that built the classics? These brands have no such pedigree...
i too was raised ford (as was my dad) at one point we had 2 xa's 1 sedan 1 coupe,a zl fairlane and a 250 xle ford cortina dont worry and ive had my rose tinted glasses on with super glue.lol

my dad had a good relationship with ford over the years until 05 when he bought his territory it nearly broke him $$ wise always had problems.
weve owned a 04 ba xr6 since new and its been a ok car but its always had a knocking noise in it since new and ford said all along theres no problem with it that was until our warranty run out then guess what they know say the diff needs to pulled out as theres a bad noise inside and it needs to be rebuilt.

in our case the car has been ok but the after sales crap weve had to put up with from every ford dealer has been horrible.i remember picking our car up from its 30k service to find motor oil dripping down the side of the front guard and being told that will give me somthing to do in the holidays.this is only one incident that comes to mind.

it really does kills me to think of going to another brand and not supporting the local jobs but hey if i cant get what i want from ford well so be it.back when i was growing up i wouldnt even ride in anything but a ford even if it ment walking,sad how things have changed...
Old 17-04-2012, 09:41 PM   #97
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
i too was raised ford (as was my dad) at one point we had 2 xa's 1 sedan 1 coupe,a zl fairlane and a 250 xle ford cortina dont worry and ive had my rose tinted glasses on with super glue.lol

my dad had a good relationship with ford over the years until 05 when he bought his territory it nearly broke him $$ wise always had problems.
weve owned a 04 ba xr6 since new and its been a ok car but its always had a knocking noise in it since new and ford said all along theres no problem with it that was until our warranty run out then guess what they know say the diff needs to pulled out as theres a bad noise inside and it needs to be rebuilt.

in our case the car has been ok but the after sales crap weve had to put up with from every ford dealer has been horrible.i remember picking our car up from its 30k service to find motor oil dripping down the side of the front guard and being told that will give me somthing to do in the holidays.this is only one incident that comes to mind.

it really does kills me to think of going to another brand and not supporting the local jobs but hey if i cant get what i want from ford well so be it.back when i was growing up i wouldnt even ride in anything but a ford even if it ment walking,sad how things have changed...
I was only brought up on stories of my dad's XT GT he bought second hand. The guy told him it was a clevo. 302ci (which I later researched and told dad... only windsors came out in the XT models). So clearly he made Clevo mods. Dad did his mods, or stroked.. and getting the rings done... something like that. 4 barrel carbs with racing cams. Apparently the car was an ex-gt touring car. raced at bathurst (all according to it's previous owner.. so who knows really?). And this car was the fastest thing out there according to dad. Reckons he'd leave 351's in the dust... only for them to catch him up later. Then they'd wanna know what was under the hood. All great stories for a young, budding car enthusiast.

He also had trouble with the local Ford dealer, and almost vowed cessation from the church of the blue oval. But still stuck with Ford. Our local dealer has gotten better recently, and we're sort of on first name basis with the service manager.

I believe jpd80 said Eleanor Ford herself came out here to give the dealers a swift kick. And with all the threads about closing dealers... maybe they're doing just that. I don't know. I just know I'm still a fan, and enjoying FoMoCo's reports of recent profits.

Back to the Veloster. It's a great car from the Koreans, and with their cheap labour... they can only get better, and it makes me worry for the established marques trying to do right by countries that have higher standards of living and currency values. And how China could produce all such stuff from within their country at this pace, and make good cars for a ridiculous price.
Old 17-04-2012, 11:52 PM   #98
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

In all honestly, the Veloster is a funky looking and innovative car.
I'm not the least surprised it has sold well already... And yes, I'd like to see Ford do something a bit out of the norm too.
Ford also has access to low cost factories (Thailand, Mexico) so building one at a similar cost wouldnt be an issue.
Sometimes lately I feel that Ford (more so FOA) has lost it's will to live.
2007 BFII FPV Cobra Ute|Boss 302|6M|#23/100
Mods so far:
Billet Products Shifter|X-Force Exhaust|Herrod Oil Breathers|Whiteline Sway Bar|Tein SuperStreets|Kings FOR-303SL Rear Springs|Melling Oil Pump|Mace Manifold Spacers|Powerbond Underdrives|Pacemaker Headers|Ballistic Cats|XFT Custom Tune @ 308.3rwkw|DBA T3 Rotors|Ferodo Pads|Goodridge Braided Lines
Mods to come:
4.11 Diff Gears|Chromoly Tailshaft
I use & recommend:
Castrol|Motorcraft|Mainlube|Penrite

Check Out My Build Thread
Pepscobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2012, 07:17 AM   #99
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Maybe Ford could do a similar thing to the ST Fiesta hitting the showroom next year? Load it up with electronics, sell it in all sorts of bright metallic colours and a 6sp manual behind a 1.6L ecoboost engine.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2012, 07:43 AM   #100
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
Maybe Ford could do a similar thing to the ST Fiesta hitting the showroom next year? Load it up with electronics, sell it in all sorts of bright metallic colours and a 6sp manual behind a 1.6L ecoboost engine.
Then back the thing up with decent and competent dealerships, realistic purchase and servicing prices and stand behind their product instead of denying all responsibility when something goes wrong (as is the custom atm) and yes, they might be on to a winner...
Fiesta_Man69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2012, 11:30 AM   #101
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
I'd advise against this, I've got an LV Focus and it handles junk, it bodyrolls like the Costa Concordia and the interior is pretty crappy compared to the WS Fiesta, the shift is like driving a truck on my 6sp manual, lots of throw.

I'd go for a WS Fiesta over the LV Focus, the Fiesta handles like its on rails and has a sweet shifting 5 speed.

Go the diesel and get it tuned
This must not apply (and shouldnt) to the XR5 because mine is completely the opposite to all of that.
Old 18-04-2012, 06:23 PM   #102
4.0i OHC
Computer Torque Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquilized
Ok that answers my question, thanks.

I think its a fairly typical story - new models sacrificing driving dynamics for a more general level of refinement in order to appeal to the mainstream buyer. Its happening everywhere, which is a shame.
Type 'ford focus mk 3 review' into the YouTube search box, and the first review that you get is this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFpmpy2FlsU
It's a dangerous direction for manufacturers to be travelling in. They risk alienating their hardcore fans.
4.0i OHC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2012, 09:42 PM   #103
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.0i OHC
Type 'ford focus mk 3 review' into the YouTube search box, and the first review that you get is this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFpmpy2FlsU
It's a dangerous direction for manufacturers to be travelling in. They risk alienating their hardcore fans.
chassis' can be tuned. Stigma can't. Seeing how low Falcon sales are... people don't give a damn about handling. Refinement is key... and the focus nailed it from the get go. They just need to let the Ford guys in Germany and UK tinker with it... and they'd probably make a rune for different markets that will bring back some of it's driving credentials.
Old 18-04-2012, 09:54 PM   #104
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
didnt ford territory also win wheels car of the year when it was first released??how'd that work out??lol
Pretty damn good, its been the highest selling SUV in just about every year since its gone on sale.

As for the new Focus, all i've heard so far is that the steering is a little bit behind the previous hydraulic setup, which is typical of electric setups, but in every other area is just as good, if not better than the previous model, bar the 18's fitted to the Titanium which supposedly result in too stiff a ride.

Read the review of the Veloster in Wheels, they said it was ok but needed a proper steering and suspension tune up and some power and torque, 0-100 was over 11 seconds, that makes it one of the slowest cars on the market today. It seriously needs that turbo.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2012, 02:47 PM   #105
Oxa384
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Pretty damn good, its been the highest selling SUV in just about every year since its gone on sale.

As for the new Focus, all i've heard so far is that the steering is a little bit behind the previous hydraulic setup, which is typical of electric setups, but in every other area is just as good, if not better than the previous model, bar the 18's fitted to the Titanium which supposedly result in too stiff a ride.

Read the review of the Veloster in Wheels, they said it was ok but needed a proper steering and suspension tune up and some power and torque, 0-100 was over 11 seconds, that makes it one of the slowest cars on the market today. It seriously needs that turbo.
and its been a reliable well engineered car without any faults in your opinion aswell??
get your head out of the sand mate and duck over to the territory section then come back and tell me how good the highest selling SUV is.
Old 20-04-2012, 07:20 PM   #106
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
and its been a reliable well engineered car without any faults in your opinion aswell??
get your head out of the sand mate and duck over to the territory section then come back and tell me how good the highest selling SUV is.
Doesn't stop it from being the number 1 SUV though does it.

Results speak louder than words.

And by the way, ball joint issues were resolved on the SYII released years ago, so don't try to say the current model has the same issues as the earlier ones in that regard.
Old 20-04-2012, 07:25 PM   #107
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Thread about Veloster turns into territory bashing?

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2012, 08:46 PM   #108
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Every thread turns into Ford bashing doesn't it, I think its about time the forum changed its name from Ford Forums to Ford Bashing Forums.
Old 20-04-2012, 09:42 PM   #109
Oxa384
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Every thread turns into Ford bashing doesn't it, I think its about time the forum changed its name from Ford Forums to Ford Bashing Forums.
Old 20-04-2012, 09:48 PM   #110
Chopped
as in chopped

Quote:
I visited LS1.com.au and they are all bashing the VE and Holden and HSV..... (must be an Aussie thing to hate Aussie stuff lately)

I didn't realize how under-powered these Velosters are.
11 sec 0-100 is a joke for the look of this car.
I am seeing more and more of these things in car parks etc, they do stand out.
Old 20-04-2012, 11:25 PM   #111
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopped
I visited LS1.com.au and they are all bashing the VE and Holden and HSV..... (must be an Aussie thing to hate Aussie stuff lately)

I didn't realize how under-powered these Velosters are.
11 sec 0-100 is a joke for the look of this car.
I am seeing more and more of these things in car parks etc, they do stand out.
95% of their intended market probably cares more about the 7" LCD screen then what it has under the hood.
Old 21-04-2012, 11:13 AM   #112
predator
Starter Motor

I saw one driving around the other day, and thought it looked pretty cool.. They really need to bring out the turbo model though quick smart. It should be released o/s soon, not sure if Australia will get it however.
predator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2012, 05:26 PM   #113
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
95% of their intended market probably cares more about the 7" LCD screen then what it has under the hood.
The owner of a new one was keen to see how it went when he pulled up next to me at the lights yesterday.
Old 21-04-2012, 06:54 PM   #114
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The owner of a new one was keen to see how it went when he pulled up next to me at the lights yesterday.
Oh dear. I think mine would probably be in the hunt with a Veloster.

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2012, 07:02 PM   #115
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
I hope you didn't beat it too bad, a little bit of false hope is nice
Old 21-04-2012, 07:04 PM   #116
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2012, 08:52 PM   #117
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Was just reading a comparo in Motor comparing the Suzuki Swift Sport, Citroen DS3 and the Veloster.

One thing that suprised me was they said the interior quality on the Hyundai was poor, hard shiny plastics and poor fitting trim pieces. Maybe Hyundai skimped in materials trying to get the price down to basement levels. They usually are top notch in those areas.

They gave it 6.5 stars out of 10, came last in the comparo. They say its screaming out for a better engine to match those showpony looks.
Old 13-06-2012, 05:53 PM   #118
Oxa384
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://www.carpoint.com.au/news/2012...-in-2012-30622
figures dont lie....