Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 23-02-2006, 04:50 PM   #91
aualright

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Out sourcing is fine as long as it's Australian in content. The Falcon's plastics are made outsourced but are made within the Ford complex (there next door to Ford, and Ford still own the building).
Whats sad is when you can get some parts cheaper and of the same quality overseas than in your back yard.
I'm not sure I'm willing to pay more for anything than I have to in order to save someone's job. Sure there is pain for the families directly involved but I don't see how supporting comparatively inefficient industries does the 'country' any good in the long term. As it is, the car companies enjoy tariffs that should have been zero by 2010 (I think) but Howard got nervous and froze the protection reductions. 4WDs are the only ones less protected (farmer welfare).

The Territory is a good example of a local competing with imports that don't attract high tariffs (re 4WDs) but I wonder if this is offset by export credits (Ford exports knowledge rather than cars). Export credits are what enabled Holden to import the euro sourced barinas and astras at competitive prices.

Is the Territory competing with people movers and not 4WDs, though (since most sold are not AWD)?

Old 23-02-2006, 05:59 PM   #92
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by aualright
I'm not sure I'm willing to pay more for anything than I have to in order to save someone's job. Sure there is pain for the families directly involved but I don't see how supporting comparatively inefficient industries does the 'country' any good in the long term. As it is, the car companies enjoy tariffs that should have been zero by 2010 (I think) but Howard got nervous and froze the protection reductions. 4WDs are the only ones less protected (farmer welfare).

The Territory is a good example of a local competing with imports that don't attract high tariffs (re 4WDs) but I wonder if this is offset by export credits (Ford exports knowledge rather than cars). Export credits are what enabled Holden to import the euro sourced barinas and astras at competitive prices.

Is the Territory competing with people movers and not 4WDs, though (since most sold are not AWD)?

Its not just the families directly involved, it effects everyone, those families involved spend money which keeps others employed (store keepers, accountants, taxi drivers you name it). Its not that Australia is inefficent, but it is very difficult to compete with countries that pay $5 US per day and have no safety, enviromental, and less taxes taxes than what we pay.

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
Old 23-02-2006, 06:25 PM   #93
aualright

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB076
Its not just the families directly involved, it effects everyone, those families involved spend money which keeps others employed (store keepers, accountants, taxi drivers you name it). Its not that Australia is inefficent, but it is very difficult to compete with countries that pay $5 US per day and have no safety, enviromental, and less taxes taxes than what we pay.
I guess the idea is to produce what you are competitive in internationally. Australia has the natural resources to earn good export dollars and supply jobs, etc. We are also good at science and innovation (R&D), management, tourism plus many other industries.

Manufacturing has sadly been dying a slow death for a long time so I'd imagine we probably are inefficient compared to our competitors in this area. Those points you list re-enforce that fact. I see China and other asian countries being the car manufacturing hub of the world in the near future, as they are for textiles and computers.

At the end of the day I see it being about long term jobs for everyone.

Old 23-02-2006, 07:09 PM   #94
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ouzo
I'm a long term Commodore driver who has been converted to Ford by the Territory. The VE has a lot of catching up to do. I hired a VY recently and it handled worse than my Territory. Very cheap feeling about it and it was a good confirmation that the Ford package is a lot better at the moment. Maybe the new engines are a step in the right direction but GMH will have to improve a long, long way to win me back. Its sad that so many Commodores are sold when the Falcon is clearly a better car but I guess a lot of that is to do with production capacity and fleet sales.
Actually if you look at the sales figures for 2005 the Falcon outsold the commodore in Australia. VFacts actually count the cars that are exported as a local sale.
Also when I bought my car it should have been sold to me as a new car but the dealership fudged the speedo figures and sold it to me as a used car. I know a guy who got a subi the same way.
Old 23-02-2006, 08:06 PM   #95
2Fast2FuriousDude

Excuse me, Holden came second to Toyota in most cars sold. Ford was 5th.

Cheers,
Jim :
Old 23-02-2006, 08:12 PM   #96
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Fast2FuriousDude
Excuse me, Holden came second to Toyota in most cars sold. Ford was 5th.

Cheers,
Jim :
I said the Falcon outsold the Commodore in Australia.
The extra cars sold by Holden were exported.
Old 23-02-2006, 08:45 PM   #97
Falcon Freak
Banned

Quote:
100% correct - Here is the proof.

FF
Old 23-02-2006, 09:00 PM   #98
gmhdriver
Banned

Quote:
I believe that is incorrect. VFacts figures are compiled from registrations ie. vehicles registered in Australia. Exported vehicles are not included in monthly sales figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Freak
100% correct - Here is the proof.

FF
What proof?
Old 23-02-2006, 09:36 PM   #99
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmhdriver
I believe that is incorrect. VFacts figures are compiled from registrations ie. vehicles registered in Australia. Exported vehicles are not included in monthly sales figures.
I know I'm right (Tom Gorman even confirmed it). Not only did the Falcon outsell the Commodore in Australia but Ford outsold Holden in Aussie produced vehicles.

You need to go and read all the VFacts statistics not the overall sales.
Old 23-02-2006, 09:46 PM   #100
gmhdriver
Banned

Quote:
I know I'm right (Tom Gorman even confirmed it). Not only did the Falcon outsell the Commodore in Australia but Ford outsold Holden in Aussie produced vehicles.

You need to go and read all the VFacts statistics not the overall sales.
I think you have misinterpereted the information. Ford sold more locally produced vehicles than Holden (Falcon, Falcon derivatives and Territory combined) however Commodore comfortably outsold Falcon alone.

Maybe russellw could confirm this.
Old 23-02-2006, 11:04 PM   #101
rodderz

Not much of value in here, it's a pity when valid topics turn to crap...

Those wishing to posts insults over the forum should think twice otherwise it only results in thread closures, deletions or bannings. If you have a problem, sort it out via PM, or report issues to the admin or mods

Thread closed
Closed Thread