Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-12-2008, 08:54 PM   #91
Marduk
BFII XR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfiipursuit
speed kills....
Abuse of Speed kills. Doing 100 in a 100 zone is fine. Doing 100 in a 60zone obviously is going to end badly. The problem with the mykey system is that it doesn't prevent speeding in key zones. It's pretty much useless if you really look at it. If the car is limited at 110 you can still do 110 in a 40 at school times. If they really want to stop speeding they should look more into a system that reads speed signs and sets the speed limiter based the zone you are in. Limiting the speed should also be based on where the person drives.
Unfortunately sometimes the speed limit needs to be broken. Instead of trying to fix things with a quick band aid fix maybe the real problem should be fixed. People are still going to overtake under dangerous conditions and limiting the speed is only going to result in more deaths. Instead they should look at fixing the real problem which is driver education. It may not be the easiest fix but it would certainly help more then just a blanket speed limit on cars.
Old 16-12-2008, 08:56 PM   #92
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

I vote for Lanterns!

I havnt read so much emotional claptrap for ages and its quite hilerious (in a disturbing sort of way)

If you want to limit your car, do it as it can be done! If you want to limit your families cars, do it by all means!

bfiipursuit
Why the hell do you have a 200 plus RWKW modified ute and advertise the fact? Surely its not required? Lead by example and sell it and start walking. I know exactly where Flappist is coming from on this, don't always agree but I do on this.

Also I am sorry to say .... "Speed Kills"! NO its not black and white and if you think it is ...... prove me wrong when you blow up doing 45 in a 40 zone. Another arguement that ends in tears ....... just like the one happening above!

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2008, 08:59 PM   #93
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by auslandau
I vote for Lanterns!

I havnt read so much emotional claptrap for ages and its quite hilerious (in a disturbing sort of way)

If you want to limit your car, do it as it can be done! If you want to limit your families cars, do it by all means!

bfiipursuit
Why the hell do you have a 200 plus RWKW modified ute and advertise the fact? Surely its not required? Lead by example and sell it and start walking. I know exactly where Flappist is coming from on this, don't always agree but I do on this.

Also I am sorry to say .... "Speed Kills"! NO its not black and white and if you think it is ...... prove me wrong when you blow up doing 45 in a 40 zone. Another arguement that ends in tears ....... just like the one happening above!
Lol.. i thought street racing or illegal activity was against the forums Rules... You are a moderator?

My car can have over 200 rwkw, doesnt mean i need to use it on public streets...

I seriously don't see your point...
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2008, 09:08 PM   #94
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Lol.. i thought street racing or illegal activity was against the forums Rules... You are a moderator?...
You really do have me lost there .... HUH?

Quote:
My car can have over 200 rwkw, doesnt mean i need to use it on public streets...

I seriously don't see your point
Now obviously you havn't read or believe anything you have posted so I will leave it at that .........

| [/url] |

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 16-12-2008, 09:12 PM   #95
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by auslandau
You really do have me lost there .... HUH?

Now obviously you havn't read or believe anything you have posted so I will leave it at that .........

well your basically saying that becaues i have a 240 rwkw car i should condone speeding on highways and that i should think speedlimiting cars for youngsters is a bad idea?

Thats what your saying?? Why?

If you had lost a friend thru speed then possibly u would be more aware of the issues, rather then just flapping around trying defend illegal activity.. We all do it but really do we need to do it to the extent that some think?

Im over this thread, its full of piisss and wind.
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2008, 09:15 PM   #96
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

And around we go......

Any more name calling and this is over, we can rise above it surely.
Falcon Coupe is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2008, 09:16 PM   #97
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Do you put your foot down and get past the trucks and then slow back to the limit?
Been there done that, got booked for speeding, any explanation regarding saftey was pointless, he had his ticket and was happy.
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2008, 09:25 PM   #98
Stattic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marduk
Abuse of Speed kills. Doing 100 in a 100 zone is fine. Doing 100 in a 60zone obviously is going to end badly. The problem with the mykey system is that it doesn't prevent speeding in key zones. It's pretty much useless if you really look at it. If the car is limited at 110 you can still do 110 in a 40 at school times. If they really want to stop speeding they should look more into a system that reads speed signs and sets the speed limiter based the zone you are in. Limiting the speed should also be based on where the person drives.
thats what i just said =)

Quote:
Unfortunately sometimes the speed limit needs to be broken. Instead of trying to fix things with a quick band aid fix maybe the real problem should be fixed. People are still going to overtake under dangerous conditions and limiting the speed is only going to result in more deaths. Instead they should look at fixing the real problem which is driver education. It may not be the easiest fix but it would certainly help more then just a blanket speed limit on cars.
unfortunately some people really do know the impact and the dangers of unsafe driving, there is just no way to teach some people
often the attitude is that "it wont happen to me, im a good driver, i can control myself and my surroundings no matter how fast i go"
how are we going to do any more than we already have? learners already have to sit through 120 hours of supervised driving in victoria (which can be lied about of course), we are constantly bombarded with road safety ads and the threat of speed cameras is all too real no matter where you are. the fact that people get booked doing 200kph shows that they simply will not learn. there are cameras everywhere and they dont care about the consequences

what im trying to say is that idiots will be idiots
Stattic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2008, 09:27 PM   #99
BA_GTR

Quote:
If they really want to stop speeding they should look more into a system that reads speed signs and sets the speed limiter based the zone you are in. Limiting the speed should also be based on where the person drives.
I would say that they might be able to create a device like such based on GPS. I know my phone based Tomtom tells me what speed I should be doing in a road... if such a device were to be installed in every car then they could limit it based on the road that you travel on. However, this still does not consider what the road conditions are like and whether the speed is appropriate. And then you'll have Big Brother watching you...

Quote:
I agree with most of this, however if you are already in a dangerous situation you probably shouldn't overtake anyway.

If I wanted to point a finger at something, it would probably be the lack of enough circuits for people to hoon to their fulfilment...
BA_GTR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2008, 09:29 PM   #100
Marduk
BFII XR6

Quote:
unfortunately some people really do know the impact and the dangers of unsafe driving, there is just no way to teach some people
often the attitude is that "it wont happen to me, im a good driver, i can control myself and my surroundings no matter how fast i go"
how are we going to do any more than we already have? learners already have to sit through 120 hours of supervised driving in victoria (which can be lied about of course), we are constantly bombarded with road safety ads and the threat of speed cameras is all too real no matter where you are. the fact that people get booked doing 200kph shows that they simply will not learn. there are cameras everywhere and they dont care about the consequences

what im trying to say is that idiots will be idiots
Yeah I agree. I'm a P plater and I don't speed but I guess it's because I had a close call due to another driver doing 80 in a 60zone around a blind corner. I went to pull out and a car came around the corner at 80 we missed each other by inches and ever since then my driving has changed dramatically. I guess we really need to experience it for ourselves for it really to sink in. I'm happy it happened because i'm sure the change in my driving will save me or someone else down the track.

Quote:
I agree with most of this, however if you are already in a dangerous situation you probably shouldn't overtake anyway.

If I wanted to point a finger at something, it would probably be the lack of enough circuits for people to hoon to their fulfilment...
But people will do it anyway and we need to change that first rather then limit the speed of cars. Peoples attitude and behaviour towards driving has a big impact and a speed limiter isn't going to change anything

Last edited by Marduk; 16-12-2008 at 09:34 PM.
Marduk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2008, 09:49 PM   #101
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
well your basically saying that becaues i have a 240 rwkw car i should condone speeding on highways and that i should think speedlimiting cars for youngsters is a bad idea?

Thats what your saying?? Why?
If it is proven to work for one group .... it should be law across the board. Whats good for one should be for everyone else.

There is more of a problem with twits loosing control of there cars at lower speeds in the city because of inability to handle any sort of power than cars on a highway momentarily speeding over 100 km/hr.

I beleive there is a direct association between high powered cars and speed limiting ..... I cannot see how anyone can say ....... "Cars should be limited to save lives but its OK to have as much power as they like ...... even though I dont use it on the street!" Why have that much power but dont use it? Obviously its not required then so why have it? It can be just as bad as over 100km's?

I have 240rwkw's but I dont use it on the street?
My car goes over 100km/hr BUT I dont use it on the street?

As FC said .......... around we go .......

| [/url] |

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 16-12-2008, 10:09 PM   #102
ltd_on20s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

and we go back to square one.

choice and personal responsibilites. you choose to speed . you choose to be an idiot. you choose to face the consequences

all these fandangled ideas serve only one purpose...to dumb down drivers into zombies on the road.. they do nothing to help the actual root cause

TAKE RESPONSIBILITIES FOR YOUR OWN ACTIONS :
ltd_on20s is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2008, 10:18 PM   #103
bloggs24
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA_GTR

So is overtaking above the speed limit now classed as hooning?!
bloggs24 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2008, 10:24 PM   #104
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Popcorn anyone?

Old 16-12-2008, 10:55 PM   #105
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stattic
the phone blocking thing is stupid, you can pull over to use your phone or you can use bluetooth. to say bluetooth is unsafe is to also say that having any passenger at any time who is not a mute is also unsafe.
I use bluetooth in my car.

However, studies have shown that a phone conversation via bluetooth is far more distracting than a conversation with a passenger.

http://www.unews.utah.edu/p/?r=112608-2

That's one of a couple that I've read.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2008, 11:12 PM   #106
Brent
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't believe where this thread has gone. Geez, if this was so simple that the road safety issue could be solved by slapping on a speed limiter. Speed, on its own, accounts for stuff all. From my humble observations, the biggest contributors to accidents are driver inattention; not driving to the conditions; arrogance; aggressive lane changing/cornering; driver distractions; skill errors; drink driving; illicit drugs; simple driver error; and not looking ahead or taking notice of other road users or oncoming problems up ahead.

In Germany in 2007 whilst driving down an autobahn just out of Frankfurt, there were 3 lanes of highway where the average speed was 140kph, obviously faster in the 'fast' lane. So, there were were, sitting at 140kph in amongst literally hundreds of other cars using the highway at the same time. And guess what? We didn't self implode. Our car didn't suddenly roll onto its roof and send us all to a fiery death. Nope, the traffic just cruised along quite nicely thanks very much. Why? Well, the road was good, drivers were paying attention, people drove to the conditions, and we lived to tell the tale. To be brutally honest, I felt safer on a German autobahn than I do on most Australian 100kph roads. The difference in driver attitude between both scenarios was staggering.

Conversely, every season I go skiing in Victorian skifields, not a season would go past when I didn't see at least a couple of cars off the side of the road, and more near misses than I care to remember. Far from doing 140kph, most cars that came to grief were probably doing 100kph less......but still a good 20kph too fast for the conditions. Judgement, attitude, respect for conditions. You can't legislate for that.

The dumbing-down of Australian drivers contributes more to road trauma than we'd care to admit IMO. There's this mindset that if you're doing the speed limit, you're 100% safe and you can turn off your brain. The staggering amount of single vehicle crashes and fatalities on straight, lonely country roads is testament to this.

As one of the most heavily policed and over legislated countries in the Western World, I think we've given the old "make a law for it bandwagon" a fairly good go thus far. Unfortunately, as a society we've concentrated on the catchy logo "speed kills" for too long at the expense of almost everything else, excepting drink driving campaigns of course. Problem is, the poor attitude to driving in general has grown over many years, and personally, I don't know how we're ever going to turn it around. Bad habits and poor attitudes are notoriously hard to 'unlearn'.

Brent.
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2008, 11:47 PM   #107
BionicGT
Living in GT Nirvana

I see the OP's post of "In October, Ford unveiled a "MyKey" device which allows parents to control how fast their teenagers drive" has drifted off in subsequent posts away from the original proposal of limiting teenagers speed when using parent's vehicles.
I think the concept has merit. The parents can control the top speed (not acceleration) of the vehicle based on their assessment of the teenager driver's capability. If they are just on Ps, I see no problem in being able to limit the top speed in the family's higher performance vehicle to say 90kph.

In the end, the higher the speed, the bigger the accident and the higher likelihood of being killed. Sure you can kill yourself at 60kpm sideways into a tree but you can't stop idiots doing this. But with this myKey idea, you can stop the teenager seeing how fast the vehicle will go on a quiet backroad at night.

(here's what happens when you crash at 170kph ! Audi S6 crash @ 170kph )

Last edited by BionicGT; 16-12-2008 at 11:53 PM.
BionicGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2008, 11:51 PM   #108
Rock ape

Brent you have my vote for best post...........

New FG XR6T ZF
Rock ape is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2008, 01:03 AM   #109
ltd_on20s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BionicGT
here's what happens when you crash at 170kph ! Audi S6 crash @ 170kph )
that guy survived......could be the car.....
Old 17-12-2008, 01:05 AM   #110
Stattic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BionicGT
I see the OP's post of "In October, Ford unveiled a "MyKey" device which allows parents to control how fast their teenagers drive" has drifted off in subsequent posts away from the original proposal of limiting teenagers speed when using parent's vehicles.
I think the concept has merit. The parents can control the top speed (not acceleration) of the vehicle based on their assessment of the teenager driver's capability. If they are just on Ps, I see no problem in being able to limit the top speed in the family's higher performance vehicle to say 90kph.

In the end, the higher the speed, the bigger the accident and the higher likelihood of being killed. Sure you can kill yourself at 60kpm sideways into a tree but you can't stop idiots doing this. But with this myKey idea, you can stop the teenager seeing how fast the vehicle will go on a quiet backroad at night.

(here's what happens when you crash at 170kph ! Audi S6 crash @ 170kph )

so youd seriously want a bunch of p platers doing 90 on the highway? p platers cop enough from other motorists anyway without aggravating them by travelling at 90 on the highway
Stattic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2008, 09:18 AM   #111
Clint Eastwood
5.4L V8

Quote:
so youd seriously want a bunch of p platers doing 90 on the highway? p platers cop enough from other motorists anyway without aggravating them by travelling at 90 on the highway

The fact you would have a problem with someone travelling at a lower speed while they are learning to drive,pretty much sums up the types of attitudes we have been talking about in this thread.
Old 17-12-2008, 10:15 AM   #112
Forddirect
Starter Motor

its hard to balance speed and safety without causing issues on the road. I dont think there is a perfect answer as this thread shows, there are a lot of different ideas out there.
cheers
FD
Old 17-12-2008, 10:27 AM   #113
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Speed "differential" is a big issue on our roads, normally its because there are cars traveling well above the posted limits weaving in and out of "slower" speed compliant traffic, this "differential" in speed catches people out who aren't expecting faster approaching vehicles, but impatience and lack of general courteousness is a bigger issue, the whole reason for L and P platters to display these plates should be to alert other motorists to be more understanding and display more patience when driving around them.....

Old 17-12-2008, 12:03 PM   #114
ltd_on20s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

for all the people on here saying more gizmo's are needed for "saving lives" should read this

http://www.caradvice.com.au/2852/roa...getting-worse/

England, Japan and Germany have much higher populations then us yet less road deaths then we do. germanys top speed in their vehicles is limited to 250kph

quote from that page
"Between 2004 and 2005 there was a seven per cent fall in the developed nations median road death rate per 100,000 population, but Australian’s rate rose two per cent".

and maybe all you people who say the governments policies are working/gizmo's are needed/slow down....go to this website below and go to the facts page

RoadSense.com.au

we have to stop becoming a bunch of robots on the road.
Old 17-12-2008, 12:21 PM   #115
Clint Eastwood
5.4L V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd_on20s
for all the people on here saying more gizmo's are needed for "saving lives" should read this

http://www.caradvice.com.au/2852/roa...getting-worse/

England, Japan and Germany have much higher populations then us yet less road deaths then we do. germanys top speed in their vehicles is limited to 250kph

quote from that page
"Between 2004 and 2005 there was a seven per cent fall in the developed nations median road death rate per 100,000 population, but Australian’s rate rose two per cent".

and maybe all you people who say the governments policies are working/gizmo's are needed/slow down....go to this website below and go to the facts page

RoadSense.com.au

we have to stop becoming a bunch of robots on the road.

All this tells us is that these countrys have less morons on the road, I have driven in quite a few countrys (england most recently) and I can honestly say that australians are the worst drivers in the developed world,and one of the reasons is because people like "flappist" think the road is his property for his private use.

Until there is a MASSIVE change in driver attitudes in this country,we cannot raise speed limits.

Common sense,patience,courtesy etc do not exist on australian roads,yet on european roads they do,and thats with 10 times the amount of cars on the road.
Old 17-12-2008, 12:26 PM   #116
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint Eastwood
All this tells us is that these countrys have less morons on the road, I have driven in quite a few countrys (england most recently) and I can honestly say that australians are the worst drivers in the developed world,and one of the reasons is because people like "flappist" think the road is his property for his private use.

Until there is a MASSIVE change in driver attitudes in this country,we cannot raise speed limits.

Common sense,patience,courtesy etc do not exist on australian roads,yet on european roads they do,and thats with 10 times the amount of cars on the road.
How many times have you been banned outright for being a troll so far FORD3V aka 12sec3V aka Eastwood?
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2008, 12:29 PM   #117
Clint Eastwood
5.4L V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
How many times have you been banned outright for being a troll so far FORD3V aka 12sec3V aka Eastwood?
Once,I have changed my ways,now try adding something productive.
Old 17-12-2008, 03:16 PM   #118
ltd_on20s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint Eastwood
Once,I have changed my ways,now try adding something productive.

boys....im not a moderator but i don't want this thread shut down just yet.

i want an answer from people who keep saying jamming more laws and gizmo's in our face will help reduce road deaths rather then a total change of road behaviours.......
Old 17-12-2008, 04:03 PM   #119
BionicGT
Living in GT Nirvana

Quote:
Seeing the legal speed limit for red P plate drivers (ie P1 drivers) is 90kph - yes I would as would the majority of people who don't ignore speed limits (unlike some on this forum)
BionicGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2008, 04:54 PM   #120
Clint Eastwood
5.4L V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd_on20s

a total change of road behaviours.......
That is the point I was making,there is no way australians are ready for higher speed limits,not until a big change in attitude takes place,most australians act like children when they are driving,so thats how governments treat us.