Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-07-2009, 05:55 AM   #91
barbarian
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
actually given that the xy was 300+ kg`s lighter than the current gt you`d have to think that it would easily have been a 13 second car wit a good driver.
300kg lighter than FG GT? really?

It looks at least half a ton heavier with its old tech sheet metal, metal parts through out i.e. bumper bars.
barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2009, 09:10 AM   #92
The Monty
Just slidin'

65 Mustang - 1160kg
HQ ranges from - 1328 to 1429kg
XY GTHO - 1524 kg
LH Torana - 1143- 1183kg
FG GT - 1855kg
VE GTS - 1777kg

And people wonder why old cars go fast, lol.
Old 19-07-2009, 11:10 AM   #93
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

You are on the money, it is amazing how heavy the modern Falcon and Commodore have got. And I know where that weight comes from so don't need it spelled out to me. People always look at me like I am from another planet when there new Falc/Comm is about half a ton heavier than an XY/HK or whatever.
Old 19-07-2009, 11:27 AM   #94
The Monty
Just slidin'

I get it all the time. "Oh back in my day, our cars were so heavy, and you could hit another car, and just keep driving they were so strong."
Old 19-07-2009, 08:29 PM   #95
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monty
65 Mustang - 1160kg
HQ ranges from - 1328 to 1429kg
XY GTHO - 1524 kg
LH Torana - 1143- 1183kg
FG GT - 1855kg
VE GTS - 1777kg

And people wonder why old cars go fast, lol.

This is a good comparison monty. It amuses me when i walk into the garage and the 65 'stang is sitting next to the girlfriends new corrolla. The corrolla is taller by about one foot, wider by a couple of inches, and just as long as it.

With all the car manufacturers worried about fuel efficiency it is amazing they don't make small cars small. Even though the old 'stang cops a flogging she returns 11L/100k's compared to the corrolla being driven like a grandma for 7L/100k's. To make the comparison even more impressive is that one is a 6 spd manual and the other is a 3 spd auto.
irish2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2009, 10:01 PM   #96
Ratmac
Starter Motor

A small car is no longer a small car
The way it is now is now compared to 10 - 15 years ago:
"Light" = Small
Small = Medium
Medium = Large
Large = Limo
Limo = Luxury cruise liner

The current corolla sedan is longer than the late 80's Camry.
The vectra was bigger than the 80's commodores.
And not to mention how big the mondeo is, it borders on falcon size.
It will be interesting to see when this trend is going to be slowed or reversed, the only car I can think of lately that has gotten smaller and lighter than its predecessor is the Mazda 2.
Ratmac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2009, 10:16 PM   #97
prydey
Rob

too true. i have an eb, which was a large family car in its day, and a bf2 which dwarfs it.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post