Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 05-06-2021, 02:26 PM   #11221
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 
Default Re: Covid 19 -

The European trends are a bit better looking although it's far from universal.

The first group of countries show sharp declines from recent peaks for France, Italy, and Poland while the UK is starting an upward trend again after a sharp drop from their December peak while both Spain and Czechia are also on the rise again.

The next group of five countries have all had steep drops from peaks in or around April this year although Belgium hasn't made quite the improvement of the others.

The final group of ten countries have also mostly shown a solid downward trend over the recent weeks but Portugal, Ireland and Slovakia have all started to trend upward again.

Observatio Facta Rotae

3 users like this post:
Old 05-06-2021, 04:21 PM   #11222
slowsnake
Banned

And the common denominator is???

Ozone!
Old 05-06-2021, 05:01 PM   #11223
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officemanager View Post
This government has gold standard in locking us down, this is one thing they cannot be accused of failing us Victorians.
As you have probably gathered, I've been pretty supportive of the gov's response to outbreaks in the past but this one smells a little bit funny. Not only with the numbers and types of cases, but there has been a complete shift in tone from the feds and even the media outlets. There has been no sniping from the north, and ACT was pretty quick to shut the door to NSW contact spots even though there has been no local cases. I feel we are not being told the full story. Tin foil hat time.
2 users like this post:
Old 05-06-2021, 05:22 PM   #11224
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY View Post
I must admit one thing. It's all well and good to take your freedom for granted.

I have not done much but gone to work and the shops most of the last year so thought iso wouldn't be a big deal but it's another thing entirely not having that choice. Must suck living in Vic big time.
Can't speak for business owners, but to be honest, a 2 week lock down is nothing when compared to the potential alternative. Not hitting the pubs or visiting friends for 14 days isn't going to kill you. I find a lot of it is in the mind. If you stop watching and reading the news it also helps .

The 5 to 10km limit is a killer for me, as I like to head out on weekends. Otherwise, you can go shop for essentials and exercise. What else do you need? The 3 month, with curfew, was horrible though, lets never go back there.

I had to drive through the fringe of the CBD, on "compasionate" grounds, and I can tell you it does not look like lock down. Cars and people everywhere. I drove past my old exhaust shop and it was open right next to the cop shop too!
Old 05-06-2021, 05:29 PM   #11225
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
Can't speak for business owners, but to be honest, a 2 week lock down is nothing when compared to the potential alternative. Not hitting the pubs or visiting friends for 14 days isn't going to kill you. I find a lot of it is in the mind. If you stop watching and reading the news it also helps .

The 5 to 10km limit is a killer for me, as I like to head out on weekends. Otherwise, you can go shop for essentials and exercise. What else do you need? The 3 month, with curfew, was horrible though, lets never go back there.

I had to drive through the fringe of the CBD, on "compasionate" grounds, and I can tell you it does not look like lock down. Cars and people everywhere. I drove past my old exhaust shop and it was open right next to the cop shop too!
Your statements seem a bit contradictory.One sentence you say a couple of weeks without seeing friends etc won’t hurt you,then you go on to say you like to go out weekends.
This user likes this post:
Old 05-06-2021, 05:51 PM   #11226
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
Your statements seem a bit contradictory.One sentence you say a couple of weeks without seeing friends etc won’t hurt you,then you go on to say you like to go out weekends.
Not really, but let me rephrase to clarify. Not going into your friend's house for a couple of weeks isn't going to kill you. BTW you can still visit one other on "single bubble" grounds. You can still go out and exercise with one other at a time. But the 5km to 10km is limiting on where you can go and who you can meet up with. FFS its 2 weeks! Even if it was 3 its not really that big a deal. I like to take the car out for a cruise on weekends and head out of Melb for a hike, but hey, what to do.
Old 05-06-2021, 06:08 PM   #11227
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We have had Covid very well managed here compared to places like Melbourne which seems to have a lot of this “but what about poor me attitude”.But anyway T3erminator, what a great opportunity for you to be able to walk around your local area and possibly see things that you didn’t realise even existed.And won’t hurt your car one little bit if it doesn’t get driven for a few weeks
Old 05-06-2021, 06:13 PM   #11228
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
Aww c'mon, don't spoil his dreams!
He still mad the gold standard state is better than Mexico.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
Old 05-06-2021, 06:16 PM   #11229
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83 View Post
He still mad the gold standard state is better than Mexico.
Yep, no-one does fail better than the Victorian ALP...

Inside the series of blunders from Daniel Andrews' government that's led to a fourth lockdown - and why the incompetence could cause generational damage for millions of Victorians

Quote:
  • Victorians were told Indian 'Kappa' variant was a 'beast' similar to the measles
  • Two of the original cases turned out to be false positives and Covid free instead
  • Melburnians face another week of lockdown partially due to the misinformation
  • Lockdown came after contact tracing again failed to nail down infection sites
  • Aged care was again hit with an outbreak that has resulted in harsh lockdowns
  • Victoria introduced a single QR check in system last week as lockdown began
  • Government has refused to implement rapid and cheap Covid testing solutions
  • The state's vaccine hotline collapsed while stocks of the Pfizer jab have run out

Victorians had been assured their contact tracing had been 'gold standard' after the Andrews Government received a rocket from Prime Minister Scott Morrison in September.

Back then, the Prime Minister had begged Victoria to replicate NSW contact tracers, which had enabled that state to suppress six outbreaks without ever resorting to the kind of strict lockdowns Victoria had repeatedly fallen back on.

NSW, which was already ahead of the curve in regards to QR code check-ins, implemented a mandatory QR code system on January 1 this year.

It would be five long months – and two more lockdowns - before Victoria would do likewise.

On May 27, with Victoria's fourth lockdown announced, the people were blamed by their government yet again for their plight.

'We would not be in this position that we are today, this necessary and difficult position, if our vaccination rates were much higher than they are right now,' Acting Premier James Merlino said.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...<br /> <br />
5 users like this post:
Old 05-06-2021, 06:32 PM   #11230
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Not really, but let me rephrase to clarify. Not going into your friend's house for a couple of weeks isn't going to kill you. BTW you can still visit one other on "single bubble" grounds. You can still go out and exercise with one other at a time. But the 5km to 10km is limiting on where you can go and who you can meet up with. FFS its 2 weeks! Even if it was 3 its not really that big a deal. I like to take the car out for a cruise on weekends and head out of Melb for a hike, but hey, what to do.
Easy for you say if your friends & relatives live close by but for others it is a nightmare if long distance ( regional or interstate) is the case. just because you can handle it does not mean other people will.
It will be interesting if and when this pandemic is over when a proper study is conducted with mental health and the true impact as to what this pandemic has had on people, I would imagine the wellbeing of a lot more people will be effected than what is being presently stated.
2 users like this post:
Old 05-06-2021, 06:51 PM   #11231
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
We have had Covid very well managed here compared to places like Melbourne which seems to have a lot of this “but what about poor me attitude”.But anyway T3erminator, what a great opportunity for you to be able to walk around your local area and possibly see things that you didn’t realise even existed.And won’t hurt your car one little bit if it doesn’t get driven for a few weeks
Whats the saying? When you do something right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all. That's a bit like Tassie, the quiet achiever, but you are on your own island.

The 5km limit did force me to look at services closer to home, found a couple of local independent grocers which I never knew existed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officemanager View Post
Easy for you say if your friends & relatives live close by but for others it is a nightmare if long distance ( regional or interstate) is the case. just because you can handle it does not mean other people will.
It will be interesting if and when this pandemic is over when a proper study is conducted with mental health and the true impact as to what this pandemic has had on people, I would imagine the wellbeing of a lot more people will be effected than what is being presently stated.
Agree its not easy for some, especially those living in smaller apartments on their own. But the single bubble does allow you unlimited travel distance, you can even cross over from metro to regional. You can't cross state borders but that is due to other state's restrictions. I doubt you'd be seeing friends interstate every 2-3 weeks without a lock down anyway.
No doubt mental health impact will be an issue post pandemic.
Old 05-06-2021, 06:54 PM   #11232
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontGS View Post
Yep, no-one does fail better than the Victorian ALP...

Inside the series of blunders from Daniel Andrews' government that's led to a fourth lockdown - and why the incompetence could cause generational damage for millions of Victorians

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...<br /> <br />
Dont interrupt.
I'm awaiting the latest presser so I can see whats going on from the man in the know
I mean he has dedicated his life to covid reporting
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
Old 05-06-2021, 07:04 PM   #11233
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
Can't speak for business owners
Or all of employees who are currently stood down not getting paid again or chewing up their leave while they are stuck at home or the family members of people who live far away from one another or ...

The potential alternative is only such a nightmare because of the mismanaged efforts by Dan and Co last year, holding people to a this is better than that mentality is damn near Stockholm syndrome.

The alternative is a system that actually works and doesn’t leverage a short term loss of normal lifestyle against a long term one.
5 users like this post:
Old 05-06-2021, 07:11 PM   #11234
zilo
BANNED

One good thing about Covid it has stopped the ABC from incessantly bleating about the poor refugee asylum seekers blah blah blah.

if only they would now stop the crap about indian kids all left alone with their cruel grandparents/freebie child minders.

(It's the red triangle with exclamation mark on the left)
2 users like this post:
Old 06-06-2021, 08:48 AM   #11235
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

It (Covid vaccination status and disclosure thereof) remains optional for workers in aged care:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-06-...nown/100193512

I’m half expecting this to change.
Old 06-06-2021, 09:30 AM   #11236
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
It (Covid vaccination status and disclosure thereof) remains optional for workers in aged care:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-06-...nown/100193512

I’m half expecting this to change.
Heard the Feds were keen to make it mandatory to jab, but couldn't get national cabinet to agree, wonder which states said no. Making it mandatory does come with challenges though, apparently quite a few hotel quarantine guards walked when it was made mandatory.

Not having to disclose it is dumb. Hard to make informed decisions with incomplete data.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
Old 06-06-2021, 10:14 AM   #11237
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

My personal belief is that mandating it would predicate dishonesty, not unlike certain ethnic groups sharing an Uber driver account.

The home care staff are almost universally of a mindset/character that they volunteer such information about vaccinations, besides a client can reject further services from any worker without having to justify. I recognise that smaller communities may present a different picture.
Old 06-06-2021, 10:38 AM   #11238
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Finally got through to the hotline this morning. A lot of the dedicated mass vaccination sites have run out of pfizer for first dose candidates, and are only taking appointments for 2nd dose. That "may" change next week, so was advised to call back then. They did put me through to a hospital who is showing stock for first dose, but when I got transferred the hospital system it had an auto message saying "sorry can't take your call, try again later" then hung up. GTFO.
Old 06-06-2021, 10:41 AM   #11239
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

By the likely time they restock, you’ll be old enough for the AZ anyway.
5 users like this post:
Old 06-06-2021, 10:43 AM   #11240
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
By the likely time they restock, you’ll be old enough for the AZ anyway.
Well, no rush. It's not a race. And if I'm not going anywhere, neither will you!
Old 06-06-2021, 10:51 AM   #11241
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Worth a read...

'Bye-bye, Australia': The migrants leaving for good so they can see their families

Quote:
The federal government's plan to not reopen international borders until at least mid-2022 has been the last straw for many migrants who say they can't wait any longer to see their loved ones overseas.
https://www.sbs.com.au/news/bye-bye-...their-families
Old 06-06-2021, 11:03 AM   #11242
lumen8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Worth a read...

'Bye-bye, Australia': The migrants leaving for good so they can see their families

It seems to be the unspoken elephant in the room, but arent politicians constantly aiming for eradication here?

Since they are ,and dont want any virus in the community, and do lock down when it is there... well if you follow that reasoning into next year, they wont want to open in 2022 either.

When the question of whether Melbourne would be locked down if vax uptake was higher was put to Hunt, his answer was quite different to Merlino, he said the vaccine doesnt stop transmission and played down the prospect of Melbourne not being in lockdown.

Goalposts have already been moved on this so who is to say they wont move them again.
Old 06-06-2021, 11:19 AM   #11243
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Worth a read...

While I feel for them a quick glance of the article says that the people leaving are citizens or have PR.

I'm sure they will change their tune if they were told that upon leaving those privileges are revoked.

They are essentially returning home for a year then will probably return to Australia as soon as the borders open.

Thousands are in the same boat, and many more thousands cannot see families that are dying or in MUCH dire situations.

Oh diddums, we have put off having kids here because our mean government has locked us here while being totally safe, establishing wonderful careers and providing an environment during Covid that is the envy of the world.

Are they not embarrassed to be in such an article??

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
3 users like this post:
Old 06-06-2021, 11:25 AM   #11244
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Quote:
Worth a read...

Observatio Facta Rotae

6 users like this post:
Old 06-06-2021, 11:26 AM   #11245
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Quote:
…if I'm not going anywhere, neither will you!
Multiple citizenships, too easy. Thought you had that option? My loyalty to Australia is to my neighbours, my friends, to indigenous Aussies, even to the people I dislike personally - not to a government doctrine that belongs in the old Eastern Bloc.

The gay nomads found a legal loophole to leave in that they are “not ordinarily resident in Australia”. One of the exempted categories for heading overseas. Coincidentally, to Italy which is gearing up to accept vaccinamacated people.

Last edited by Citroënbender; 06-06-2021 at 11:33 AM.
3 users like this post:
Old 06-06-2021, 11:28 AM   #11246
lumen8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Some in the article are leaving permanently and said so.

Everyone has a different opinion on this of course, some are fine with living in places with covid in the community. Most recover from it, and deaths have been mostly elderly, often with comorbidities. Here in Australia the average age of deaths that did occur was 4 years over the average lifespan, 80 something average lifespan vs 84 something average age of deaths (again many in nursing homes, some in palliative care, comorbidities were a factor)

We are obviously pursuing a strategy of elimination here, and the only logical conclusion to that is borders closed for a very long time, unless the governments change their mind on having covid in the community.

It doesnt suprise me that younger people not in the risk category and with overseas ties and family will grow tired of the situation here.
3 users like this post:
Old 06-06-2021, 11:32 AM   #11247
lumen8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Multiple citizenships, too easy. Thought you had that option?

The gay nomads found a legal loophole in that they are “not ordinarily resident in Australia”. One of the exempted categories for heading overseas. Coincidentally, to Italy which is gearing up to accept vaccinamacated people.
Europes vaccine passport from what I can tell will accept vaccine or a negative test as condition of entry.. so it wont just be vaccinated people they accept... neg test will get you in, its already like that at present in some EU countries.
2 users like this post:
Old 06-06-2021, 11:41 AM   #11248
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Some of the more right-leaning European countries used the onset of Coronavirus as an excuse to revive “ausländers raus” and they haven’t seen inclination to wind that back. Italy is fortunately (still?) maintaining a disconnect between more extreme ideology of the Right and their actual laws/edicts.
Old 06-06-2021, 11:46 AM   #11249
slowsnake
Banned

My doctors, physicians and thoracic surgeon are pushing me to get the Astra Zeneca...I refuse each time I get an sms/text from my GP.

Why at the age of 68 would I do that?.
Why am I holding out for the Pfizer vaccine?

Well I am on a surgical waiting list here in Perth WA, I am expecting to be called for surgery soon, but I could die waiting!..so its 3 months between AZ jabs so I don't want to go to surgery only half vaccinated?

Now the Pfizer vaccine is also 2 jabs, so if you get the AZ jab you are only half vaccinated for a certain period of time, in the former P jab 3 weeks, the latter AZ jab 3 months.

I want to go into theatre fully vaccinated, not half cooked, they gave me a 6 week wait time, so logically the Pfizer jab is the referred path to take.
The 6 weeks is up in 2 weeks, so I am going either way only half vaccinated or not vaccinated at all!

Cheers Billy.
Old 06-06-2021, 11:47 AM   #11250
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post
harsh

A number of people at work were originally from Singapore, HK, KL. Quite a few have headed back, especially those with young family and no local support.
Closed Thread