Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 02-06-2021, 07:02 PM   #11131
lumen8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Covid 19 -

“If you are at Adelaide Oval and the ball comes towards you. My advice to you is to duck and just do not touch that ball.”

Even if one ducks, the ball could have that special spurrier Adelaide super strain on it.

Apparently it can jump farther than other strains, and grows stronger when living on leather.
4 users like this post:
Old 02-06-2021, 07:52 PM   #11132
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
Oh dear. She’s a doll (IMO) and well-qualified in medicine but a comment like that doesn’t flatter her. I hope it was a “Dad joke” that fell flat.
My pick of the CHOs in the doll department, and I like how she communicates, a bit like my ex, ditzy but endearing.

Is she worried about disease from the crowd or a certain Victorian team?
Old 02-06-2021, 08:18 PM   #11133
zilo
BANNED

I find it sickening that football is exempt from quarantine and lockdown.

It's a vankers game and should be called handball.

(It's the red triangle with exclamation mark on the left)
3 users like this post:
Old 03-06-2021, 12:49 AM   #11134
lumen8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

4 users like this post:
Old 03-06-2021, 08:13 AM   #11135
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Experts dispute Victoria claim that Kappa variant is more infectious than previous Covid outbreaks

Quote:
Infectious diseases experts say the Victorian government should not be using alarming language to describe the Kappa variant – responsible for the state’s current Covid outbreak – after officials claimed it was spreading “faster” and through “fleeting” or “low contact” between strangers.

The acting Victorian premier, James Merlino, said on Tuesday “at least one in 10 current cases have caught this virus from a stranger”. He said the virus was being spread through “people brushing against each other in a small shop, getting a take-away coffee from the same cafe, being in the same place, at the same time, for mere moments”.

The Victorian Covid commander, Jeroen Weimar, said: “People unknown to each other before have transmitted to each other. That is very different from what we have seen before. It is certainly the fastest-moving outbreak we’ve seen anywhere in Australia for a long time.”

But an infectious diseases physician at St Vincent’s hospital in Sydney, Prof Greg Dore, who is running a study looking at long-haul Covid patients, said the Kappa variant was acting “the same as we’ve seen before” with other variants in Australia.
https://www.theguardian.com/australi...ovid-outbreaks
This user likes this post:
Old 03-06-2021, 08:53 AM   #11136
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

I cited an article quoting both he and Dr Brigid Lynch, the other day.

https://www.fordforums.com.au/showpo...ostcount=11025
Old 03-06-2021, 08:59 AM   #11137
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
I cited an article quoting both he and Dr Brigid Lynch, the other day.
So why would the Vic ALP Health guys and Premier Merlino beat it up then?
Old 03-06-2021, 09:00 AM   #11138
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Because it suits the trajectory/agenda they feel bound to?
5 users like this post:
Old 03-06-2021, 09:02 AM   #11139
lumen8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

To Spurriers dismay, the Kappa variant still > Radelaide pizza box super strain variant.

Perhaps she will save face if she gets her hands on the footy after the match and discovers a new and more powerful Lambda strain that thrives on sweat, grass and leather.
4 users like this post:
Old 03-06-2021, 09:34 AM   #11140
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Acting Victorian Premier Merlino somehow reminds me in appearance of Ernest Penfold, from Danger Mouse.
Old 03-06-2021, 11:19 AM   #11141
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontGS View Post
Experts dispute Victoria claim that Kappa variant is more infectious than previous Covid outbreaks

AFF arm chair expert called it first...again. He'll get grilled today. I'm going to predict he will use data from India and UK. Not doubting it is more infectious in certain settings and environments, but all strains haven't seem to be as bad on this big island. Still, I'm supportive that they take the more risk averse approach.
Old 03-06-2021, 11:43 AM   #11142
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
Acting Victorian Premier Merlino somehow reminds me in appearance of Ernest Penfold, from Danger Mouse.
Yes, there's some sort of resemblance there

SIL is a school principal and rates him highly as the education minister. Apparently he's ambitious.
2 users like this post:
Old 03-06-2021, 12:03 PM   #11143
tweeked
N/A all the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
AFF arm chair expert called it first...again. He'll get grilled today. I'm going to predict he will use data from India and UK. Not doubting it is more infectious in certain settings and environments, but all strains haven't seem to be as bad on this big island. Still, I'm supportive that they take the more risk averse approach.
I just think it is funny that Professor Goodlove is saying how this Beast is so much more dangerous, and points out his reason is that it is doing things we did not see last year, in that people are catching it in new scenarios.

Last year in Vic there was over 3500 cases with unknown origin, how can you base anything on that data when such a high percentage were untraced? You do not know what you do not know, so stop telling us it didn't happen when you have no way of knowing that it didn't. This guy is a panic merchant, book smart street dumb. CHO's as a whole a very unimpressive cohort.

Just give me the facts, stop trying to scare us. The lockdown needs another week, fair enough, but stop treating everyone like we are kids that need a scary bedtime story to keep us well behaved.

4 users like this post:
Old 03-06-2021, 12:46 PM   #11144
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Data valid as at 00:00 GMT June 2nd, 2021.

Note: As not all Australian States report at the same time, the data below is based on the previous full day reporting.

8 new cases for Australia and no deaths so the CMR is 3.021%.

6 cases and no deaths for NZ so CMR is 0.971% and active cases 18.

The UK had a higher 4,261 cases yesterday and 12 deaths.

Just over 14k new cases in the USA yesterday and 358 deaths sees CMR at 1.788%.

Other notable points:

Global cases pass 172M, the last 1M taking 3 days;
Global deaths pass 3.7M - the extra ~100k from Peru;

South America passes 29M cases;
South America passes 900k deaths, the extra ~100k from Peru. That's enough to increase the CMR for the continent to 3.1%.

Bolivia (3,439); and
Colombia (27,000)

... recorded new daily highs; those in blue for the second consecutive day and those in red for a third or more consecutive day.

Oman, Zambia and Tunisia move above the 90th percentile for their 10 day average while Kazakhstan drops below

Observatio Facta Rotae

3 users like this post:
Old 03-06-2021, 12:56 PM   #11145
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeked View Post

Just give me the facts, stop trying to scare us. The lockdown needs another week, fair enough, but stop treating everyone like we are kids that need a scary bedtime story to keep us well behaved.
Unfortunately this goes for all politics at the moment, why the need to pander to the lowest common denominator and blurt out clichés and bad one liners is beyond me.

If the riff raff don't understand then they go along their merry lives anyway.

Not sure how to turn that tide, this are generally smart people playing dumb because of the system.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 03-06-2021, 02:15 PM   #11146
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Agree on the language but remember these CHOs are not born and bred, well trained, politicians. Their background is in science, health and medicine. I doubt they would have had to front up live on national broadcast this often prior to the pandemic. I feel for professor Cheng, he seems to struggle the most. Sutton has had plenty of practice given the events of last year. From a pure health point of view, I can understand why he may have thrown that one liner. Just look at whats happening around the world.

I think its quite fortunate we get daily updates, with subject matter experts making themselves available to answer the unlimited questions. I just wish the questions were more constructive.
Old 03-06-2021, 02:35 PM   #11147
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Why has Victoria struggled more than NSW with COVID? To a demographer, they’re not that different

Quote:
There’s been much talk in recent days about the demographic and travel behaviour differences between Melbourne and Sydney and to what extent they may help explain why Victoria appears to be struggling with COVID outbreaks, while New South Wales isn’t.

Recent commentary has suggested transport, age, jobs, migrant population and other factors among the reasons that may help explain the difference.

In short, it would appear Victoria and NSW have more in common, demographically, than many think.
https://theconversation.com/why-has-...fferent-161996
Old 03-06-2021, 02:38 PM   #11148
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Payment of up to $500 will be made on a week by week basis

Quote:
Mr Morrison has laid out the eligibility for the Temporary COVID Disaster Payment.

He says it will be $500 for people who normally work more than 20 hours in a week. It will be $325 for those who work less.

It is available for those who are Australian residents and are permitted to work in Australia
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-06-...ales/100186342

Last edited by FairmontGS; 03-06-2021 at 02:43 PM.
Old 03-06-2021, 03:56 PM   #11149
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontGS

Seems to me they are using this line to try to justify the lock down. If it was as infectious as they are making out, we would be seeing more than the handful of cases we have seen.

It's nothing but fearmongering and trying to damp down the criticism they are rightfully coping for being the covid state. Continually having to have lockdowns due to their incompetence.
3 users like this post:
Old 03-06-2021, 04:04 PM   #11150
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Quote:
Oh dear. She’s a doll (IMO) and well-qualified in medicine but a comment like that doesn’t flatter her. I hope it was a “Dad joke” that fell flat.
I have taken her word on many things thru this CV ride we are all on.
I was frowning on the idea that Collingwood are heading over here to play this game. AFL once again have decided they are the most important business and people in this country. But I was listening to her thoughts on the idea and she was turning me round to it being a decision not being taken lightly.....and then she said don't touch the ball.
Ah pardon? If the ball is not safe, the players are not safe and by the games end, the home team players are now no longer safe, as well as anyone who touched the ball, and then as well as anyone who has come in to contact with anyone who has touched the ball.... and on it goes.

But hey Round 12 went ahead!

Edit - and I'm an AFL fan who is/was keen to see this game.
Old 03-06-2021, 04:54 PM   #11151
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

I thought it might be nice to have some good news amongst all the doom and gloom posts here.

"Victoria Police officers play basketball with kids at Carlton Gardens during Melbourne’s lockdown"

https://7news.com.au/sport/basketbal...down-c-3003281

"Victoria Police officers caught on camera buying homeless man bag of Woolworths food on cold Melbourne night"

https://7news.com.au/news/victoria-p...ight-c-2975215
Old 03-06-2021, 05:09 PM   #11152
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Question Re: Covid 19 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
I thought it might be nice to have some good news amongst all the doom and gloom posts here.

"Victoria Police officers play basketball with kids at Carlton Gardens during Melbourne’s lockdown"

https://7news.com.au/sport/basketbal...down-c-3003281

"Victoria Police officers caught on camera buying homeless man bag of Woolworths food on cold Melbourne night"

https://7news.com.au/news/victoria-p...ight-c-2975215
Dont let that get in the way of the anti nsw, pressers etc.

Nah there definitely is some good among all this as you've posted. It's not all doom and gloom.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
Old 03-06-2021, 05:20 PM   #11153
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeked View Post
I just think it is funny that Professor Goodlove is saying how this Beast is so much more dangerous, and points out his reason is that it is doing things we did not see last year, in that people are catching it in new scenarios.

Last year in Vic there was over 3500 cases with unknown origin, how can you base anything on that data when such a high percentage were untraced? You do not know what you do not know, so stop telling us it didn't happen when you have no way of knowing that it didn't. This guy is a panic merchant, book smart street dumb. CHO's as a whole a very unimpressive cohort.

Seriously?? Do you really think he was only referring to last years VIC outbreak when he made those comments?? So last years VIC outbreak is the only data available to him for comparison is it? No other place on the planet was having a Covid outbreak at the time to compare data with??

What a small world you must live in. Fact is, he wasn't "treating everyone like they're kids". He was speaking to the adults, with adult brains, who knew exactly what he meant. Adults with kids brains on the other hand, obviously need everything spoon fed, and explained to them in fine detail.
Old 03-06-2021, 06:47 PM   #11154
tweeked
N/A all the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickford. View Post
Seriously?? Do you really think he was only referring to last years VIC outbreak when he made those comments??
Yes.....

Professor Sutton said the Indian variant of the virus was “an absolute beast” because “it has moved faster than any other strain we’ve dealt with”.

we've

contraction
unpunctuated: weve; pronoun: we've
we have.

So not talking about somewhere else.

3 users like this post:
Old 03-06-2021, 07:03 PM   #11155
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

"We", as in us, all of us as people, a population. Not "we" as in just Victoria!

Are you for real??

Thanks for the English lesson by the way.

Last edited by GasoLane; 03-06-2021 at 07:16 PM.
Old 03-06-2021, 07:15 PM   #11156
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Two cases in VIC reclassified as false positive. That's good news for the people involved.

Old 03-06-2021, 07:18 PM   #11157
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickford. View Post
"We", as in us, all of us as people, a population. Not "we" as in just Victoria!

Are you for real??

Thanks for the English lesson by the way.
Looks like you missed post 11122, please go back and read it.
Old 03-06-2021, 07:37 PM   #11158
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Federal government backs Victorian proposal for purpose-built coronavirus quarantine hub

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-06-...osal/100188922

MOU drafted by the Feds and sent to Vic Gov. Avalon preferred. Get it done.
2 users like this post:
Old 03-06-2021, 07:42 PM   #11159
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

An update from our beloved CHO. Really, how can anyone be upset at her? Knowing what SA fans are like, what are the odds someone will go lick the ball live on TV?

'I'm not a football player': Spurrier walks back 'duck the ball' advice

https://indaily.com.au/news/2021/06/...od-crows-game/

Quote:
"She clarified her advice was that “whenever you touch an object – and this is an object touched by I-don’t -know-how-many very sweaty men on a football field – sanitise your hands immediately”.

“Just go and sanitise your hands before you start eating your chips,” she said."
2 users like this post:
Old 03-06-2021, 07:50 PM   #11160
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

South Australians. They are "special" aren't they?

Don't know why anyone would want to go there!
Closed Thread