Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 25-03-2021, 08:47 PM   #9871
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 
Default Re: Covid 19 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontGS View Post
After a year of lockdowns, we're back to a more 'normal' year — with 'waned' immunity
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-03-...n=abc_news_web
This has just bitten us again, our care coordinator is getting smashed with all the niggling minor bugs he (and many others in aged care) sidestepped last year. A healthy chap otherwise, you couldn’t say it’s his lifestyle or workplace issues causing the malaise.
Old 25-03-2021, 09:09 PM   #9872
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
No more EU produced AZ for us...

EU looks to tighten vaccine controls as Australia ramps up local production

https://www.9news.com.au/national/co...e-bb51815496af
I'm not sure how much we paid for the deal to manufacture locally but this is proof of the reason why we did it. Everyone knew this would be a problem even though everyone pledged to the right thing and there is no way the public would support exporting the stuff when they are in the ****.

I have seen Pfizer is about $20/dose and AZ about $4/dose USD. I'm not sure how much the local licence bumps it up but you have to also consider the storage and logistic costs of Pfizer as well as the fact we have to import it too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Brexit fail?

Its not the end of the world for us really, Id prefer it be inhouse. Give our channels more experience, would mean more jobs/work etc
It's was only going to be to fill the gap anyway so we are behind for but unlike a lot of people I have faith it will ramp up quickly when things get ironed out.

As for Brexit, it really depends on how much the EU export ban slows the UK roll out. I would have thought the majority of the doses would be within the UK.

The logic for the ban is that Pfizer is supposedly meeting their commitments but AZ isn't.

So certainly it could happen to Pfizer too but I think most will go for other vaccines simply because of the cost and logistics.

Things may change when it is becomes apparent whether boosters are needed or not. It could get cheaper, who knows really
Old 25-03-2021, 10:30 PM   #9873
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY View Post
I have seen Pfizer is about $20/dose and AZ about $4/dose USD. I'm not sure how much the local licence bumps it up but you have to also consider the storage and logistic costs of Pfizer as well as the fact we have to import it too.
There is quite a large Pfizer manufacturing facility here in Melbourne (Lexia Place, Mulgrave) that produces various injectable products for the medical industry. They 100% have the capabilities and the required equipment to produce the Pfizer vaccine here in Australia. Anyone know why they weren't allowed/offered the opportunity to manufacture the Pfizer vaccine here in Australia?
Old 25-03-2021, 11:20 PM   #9874
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickford. View Post
There is quite a large Pfizer manufacturing facility here in Melbourne (Lexia Place, Mulgrave) that produces various injectable products for the medical industry. They 100% have the capabilities and the required equipment to produce the Pfizer vaccine here in Australia. Anyone know why they weren't allowed/offered the opportunity to manufacture the Pfizer vaccine here in Australia?
I'm not sure they have the capabilities but let's assume they do. The gap between the Pfizer and AZ in cost is massive before you even consider what the local manufacturer licence and costs could be even if you could get one.

Then you still have the logistics and storage costs that don't go away just because it is made here. The AZ is a good option for the larger population.

I think people are quite frankly getting hung up on the difference in efficacy and want the top though for the foreseeable future you won't have a choice anyway.

Both are highly effective against symptomatic disease and 100% in preventing severe disease so far.

It's worth remembering far more people have been vaccinated now than any trial.

Last edited by MITCHAY; 25-03-2021 at 11:27 PM.
Old 26-03-2021, 06:05 AM   #9875
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
I'm not sure they have the capabilities but let's assume they do. The gap between the Pfizer and AZ in cost is massive before you even consider what the local manufacturer licence and costs could be even if you could get one.

Then you still have the logistics and storage costs that don't go away just because it is made here. The AZ is a good option for the larger population.

I think people are quite frankly getting hung up on the difference in efficacy and want the top though for the foreseeable future you won't have a choice anyway.

Both are highly effective against symptomatic disease and 100% in preventing severe disease so far.

It's worth remembering far more people have been vaccinated now than any trial.
Here's an older but good article. Apparently Pfizer didn't have a local capability and would have taken > 1 year to get there so ScoMo pulled the trigger and went locally-produced AZ. Can't argue with that.

https://www.afr.com/politics/federal...0210113-p56tsb
2 users like this post:
Old 26-03-2021, 09:26 AM   #9876
DRU842
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Here is a good video showing why the vaccines efficacy is a lot closer than the headline announcements would have you believe: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3odScka55A
2017 Mustang Lightening Blue, Cobb Intercooler, CAI, AccessPort, Turbo Blanket & V2 Exhaust, Mishimoto Down-Pipe & Overflow Tank, GFB DV+, Custom CRD Tune. Ford Performance Short Throw Shifter & Strut Brace. DBA T3 Brakes & Pads. Braided Brake Lines. H&R Coilovers. Anderson CF Track Pack Spoiler & Tailgate Panel. Blue CF/Leather Steering Wheel.
This user likes this post:
Old 26-03-2021, 12:42 PM   #9877
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Brisbane Zeke on the loose for 1 week

Coronavirus Qld: COVID alert as case of community transmission confirmed

Quote:
he Premier has confirmed Queensland has recorded a new case of COVID-19 community transmission: A man on Brisbane’s northside who has been infectious in the community since last Friday.
https://www.couriermail.com.au/coron...ff69d28735acbd
2 users like this post:
Old 26-03-2021, 01:08 PM   #9878
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Data valid as at 00:00 GMT March 26th, 2021.

Note: As not all Australian States report at the same time, the data below is based on the previous full day reporting.

10 new cases for Australia and no deaths so the CMR is 3.110%.

6 new cases and 0 deaths for NZ so CMR is 1.050% and active cases 71.

The UK had a higher 6,220 cases yesterday and 63 deaths.

Just over 69k new cases in the USA yesterday and 1,564 deaths sees CMR at 1.819%. Note that the USA is actually minus one day due to time differences.

Other notable points:
Global cases pass 126M, the last 1M in 1 day;
Asia sets a new daily case high of 154,851;
South America sets a new daily case high of 130,600;
Europe moves above the 90th percentile for 10 day case average;

Bermuda (41);
Mongolia (285);
Togo (359);
Ivory Coast (767);Bosnia (1,965) - the previous high on 31/10/20
Bulgaria (4,851);
Iraq (6,513);
Philippines (8,773);
Ukraine (16,669) - the previous high on 28/11/20;
Poland (34,151); and
Brazil (97,586)

... recorded new daily highs; those in blue for the second consecutive day and those in red for a third or more consecutive day.

Armenia moves above the 90th percentile for their 10 day average while none drop below.

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 26-03-2021, 03:05 PM   #9879
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
International flights into Melbourne to resume after Easter

International flights to Melbourne will resume after Easter, following major reviews of the state's beleaguered hotel quarantine system, with airflow out of hotel rooms blamed for the leakage of the virus which caused Melbourne's third lockdown.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-03-...tine/100027186
Can't wait to see how they screw it up this time
2 users like this post:
Old 26-03-2021, 04:18 PM   #9880
zilo
BANNED

Never ceases to amaze me how the Australian govt is blindly supportive of anything British.

The Russians had the Sputnik vaccine w-a-a-a-a-y before the AZ or Pfizer.

All they did was poo hoo and comdemn them, after all how could the Russians possibly be smarter than the Poms or yanks?

They have now almost admitted that it was always ....superior.

Well how about that...

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-55900622
Old 26-03-2021, 04:53 PM   #9881
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo View Post
Never ceases to amaze me how the Australian govt is blindly supportive of anything British.

All they did was poo hoo and comdemn them, after all how could the Russians possibly be smarter than the Poms or yanks?

Well how about that...

With the various Covid19 vaccines being produced around the world do you honestly believe the Australian public would trust the Russian vaccine.
Not saying the Sputnik vaccine is inferior but peoples perceptions are another matter.
3 users like this post:
Old 26-03-2021, 04:59 PM   #9882
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officemanager View Post
With the various Covid19 vaccines being produced around the world do you honestly believe the Australian public would trust the Russian vaccine.
Not saying the Sputnik vaccine is inferior but peoples perceptions are another matter.
And there lies the problem. Big boys playing games and politics at the expense of the people. If the TGA told me Sputnik was safe, I'd take it.

Certain countries are now talking about opening up borders only if particular vaccines has been taken. This is causing anxiety and fear for some poorer countries, and they are being forced to wait for vaccines that may never come instead of taking what is available, and probably just as effective.
Old 26-03-2021, 05:03 PM   #9883
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:

Well how about that...

I guess this line had nothing to do with which way they went then ?

"The vaccine was initially met with some controversy after being rolled out before the final trial data had been released."

I can imagine your whinging if they'd bought a vaccine that hadn't passed all the trials.
Old 26-03-2021, 05:29 PM   #9884
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
And there's the rub - we're all products of the last 30-60 years. It's ingrained in us. Trust the Soviet Union Russia? Not on your Nellie
2 users like this post:
Old 26-03-2021, 05:44 PM   #9885
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
And there's the rub - we're all products of the last 30-60 years. It's ingrained in us. Trust the Soviet Union Russia? Not on your Nellie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane

"The vaccine was initially met with some controversy after being rolled out before the final trial data had been released."

I can imagine your whinging if they'd bought a vaccine that hadn't passed all the trials.

Exactly and this would be most of the public perception of any product manufactured in Russia which they were renown to cut corners at times.
2 users like this post:
Old 26-03-2021, 07:24 PM   #9886
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If the TGA gave approval I wouldn't see any issue but I somehow doubt how that could happen because obviously they need some data to inform that decision.

Russia or China deny publicly what is bleeding obvious all the time so trust is an issue you could say especially with state sponsored media

For example Putin supposedly only just got it and off the record in contrast to other world leaders. That wouldn't inspire any confidence here
Old 26-03-2021, 08:14 PM   #9887
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
If the TGA gave approval I wouldn't see any issue but I somehow doubt how that could happen because obviously they need some data to inform that decision.

Russia or China deny publicly what is bleeding obvious all the time so trust is an issue you could say especially with state sponsored media

For example Putin supposedly only just got it and off the record in contrast to other world leaders. That wouldn't inspire any confidence here
I find it odd that approval bodies don't undertake their own independent trials and testing, but rather rely on the manufacturers to do their own. Seems like a conflict of interest. How are you certain that sampling was done right and that right doses were administered? etc And that what they publish is actually the right results?

https://www.watoday.com.au/world/nor...23-p57dem.html
Old 26-03-2021, 08:34 PM   #9888
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post

Haha....your imagination is your problem.
AZ was just as rushed but we will ignore that little detail cause a moderator might hit a button..
Old 26-03-2021, 08:39 PM   #9889
zilo
BANNED

Quote:

HMMMM....the ABC is state sponsored media....so is the BBC......
Old 26-03-2021, 08:43 PM   #9890
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Name one previous vaccine from russia to justify your suspiscion?

The undeniable fact is that they had a vaccine way before any other country and it has proven to be perhaps the best.

In the event of a biochemical war who would have the best outcome...

Betcha Leesa would have it instead of AZ
Old 26-03-2021, 08:56 PM   #9891
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
HMMMM....the ABC is state sponsored media....so is the BBC......
There's a difference between public and state media.
Old 26-03-2021, 08:57 PM   #9892
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Quote:
Novichock?
Old 26-03-2021, 08:59 PM   #9893
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
There's a difference between public and state media.
Depends on where you are looking from.....I usually follow the money....
Old 26-03-2021, 09:03 PM   #9894
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickford. View Post
Novichock?
Not a vaccine please check facts before replying

I will help you.....immofon

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...Yq4vSUTYcQZQ6u

Last edited by zilo; 26-03-2021 at 09:18 PM. Reason: Helping a mate
Old 26-03-2021, 09:19 PM   #9895
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:

The undeniable fact is that they had a vaccine way before any other country and it has proven to be perhaps the best.

In the event of a biochemical war who would have the best outcome...

Betcha Leesa would have it instead of AZ

No, no, you mistake what I’m saying. I’m just stating that our generation were all inbred with a natural distrust of the Soviets and Russia. I’ve traveled from the far east to Moscow and St Petersburgh and you wouldn’t find a nicer bunch of people.
3 users like this post:
Old 26-03-2021, 09:24 PM   #9896
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Brisbane Zeke on the loose for 1 week

Coronavirus Qld: COVID alert as case of community transmission confirmed

https://www.couriermail.com.au/coron...ff69d28735acbd
Here we go again....

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Old 26-03-2021, 09:30 PM   #9897
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
I learnt from a friend in HK that there is also a Chinese vaccine called CoronaVac.

This article is over 2 months old but has so pretty good information.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-55212787

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Old 26-03-2021, 09:34 PM   #9898
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Haha....your imagination is your problem.
AZ was just as rushed but we will ignore that little detail cause a moderator might hit a button..
I don't recall mentioning anything was rushed, you're the one saying that. Sputnik was released to the public before trials were finished.

Please explain how AZ was 'rushed' into public release.

Quote:
Again, you're imagining words that aren't there, FairmontGS never mentioned any Vaccine, just that Russia couldn't be trusted.

If you insist on arguing please argue about what was actually written and not like the popular quote..................."Don't answer the question that is asked. Answer the question that you wish had been asked"
Old 27-03-2021, 01:11 PM   #9899
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Data valid as at 00:00 GMT March 27th, 2021.

Note: As not all Australian States report at the same time, the data below is based on the previous full day reporting.

10 new cases for Australia and no deaths so the CMR is 3.109%.

3 new cases and 0 deaths for NZ so CMR is 1.049% and active cases 74.

The UK had a lower 6,187 cases yesterday and 70 deaths.

Just under 68k new cases in the USA yesterday and 1,273 deaths sees CMR at 1.819%. Note that the USA is actually minus one day due to time differences.

Other notable points:
Asia sets a new daily case high of 156,218;
South America sets a new daily case high of 134,762;
The World moves above the 90th percentile for 10 day case average;

Timor-Leste (58);
Mongolia (437);
Curaçao (409);
PNG (560) - 200 more than the previous high;
North Macedonia (1,419) -
the previous high on 18/11/20;
Kenya (2,008);
Ethiopia (2,097);
Bulgaria (4,851);
Philippines (9,838);
Hungary (11,265);
Ukraine (18,132); and
Poland (35,143);

... recorded new daily highs; those in blue for the second consecutive day and those in red for a third or more consecutive day.

Austria and Argentina move above the 90th percentile for their 10 day average while none drop below.

Observatio Facta Rotae

2 users like this post:
Old 27-03-2021, 02:18 PM   #9900
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Australian vaccination rollout risks falling behind rest of world

https://www.9news.com.au/national/co...-world-_270321

Quote:
The Federal Government should apply a "laser-like focus" on increasing the pace of Australia's COVID-19 vaccination rollout as it risks falling behind other nations, a public health expert warned.

There is concern after the number of vaccinations struggled to reach a quarter of the Federal Government's target of 4 million jabs by the end of this month.

Adjunct Professor Bill Bowtell, from the University of NSW, told Today other countries are pulling ahead of Australia.

"Yesterday in the United States in one day 3.4 million doses were administered. That's getting on for about the entire adult population of Australia every week," he said.

And even developing countries that lack the health services Australia has are making progress, Prof Bowtell said.

Public health expert Bill Bowtell said Australia is in a race against time to vaccinate its population against coronavirus.

"Developing countries like Bangladesh, Rwanda, Senegal all of whom have much worse societal problems than we do are ahead of us."

Prof Bowtell said it was essential for the Federal Government to take a cold hard look at the vaccination rollout.

"We have to ask some very serious questions about why we are falling behind, we have got to correct those problems with a laser-like focus from the prime minister and the government."

Prof Bowtell said GPs and other frontline health workers were well positioned to administer vaccinations but suffered a lack of regular supplies.

"I know in Port Stephens they were geared up already to receive 5000 doses a week. And what they got last week was 50. Now, that's just not good enough."

"The doctors, the GPs, the pharmacies, all ready to go, but they are being let down by a failure to commit to targets, to plan and to deliver. So we have to do better with procurement."

Prof Bowtell said supplies should increase when pharmaceutical company CSL begins producing the AstraZeneca vaccine at its Melbourne plant. Earlier this week, the Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA) approved the release of more than 832,000 doses of the local AstraZeneca vaccine.

But Australia still faced a "race against time" to innoculate the population against COVID-19 while cases in the country remained very low, warned Prof Bowtell.

"We have zero-zero but people have mistaken this momentary advantage for the long term solution. And it's not. We need vaccinations. We need to have an entire population vaccinated as soon as possible."

Prof Bowtell said authorities should utilise sporting grounds and other public facilities as well as introducing drive-through COVID-19 jabs to ramp up vaccination numbers.

And he warned it was also essential to curb the alarming rise in coronavirus cases in neighbouring Papua New Guinea before it spilled into Far North Queensland.

"We can't be out of woods until the entire world is. Papua New Guinea particularly. So yes, we run a big risk of falling behind."

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
Closed Thread