Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-04-2007, 05:59 PM   #61
Jayse
:o

I dropped into a used yard yesterday to have a look at a XR6 NA and a XR6T, while the salesman was very nice I had to point out that BA's from the BF's, he was also so keen he added some kilowatts to the cars - told me the XR6 had 200kw, and the XR6T had 270kw.. interesing that.. i should of asked how many kw the F6 had that was sitting there
Jayse is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2007, 10:32 PM   #62
Daniel
F6 - with sugar on top

I was after a new typhoon at the age of 21, imagine the trouble I went thru to even get a salesperson to not laugh in my face when i said i want one or wanted to DRIVE their new F6 lol, turned out that one sales lady after not being 100% interested in me finally noticed that I was pretty keen and asking the right questions; she took the 'risk' with me and answered my questions, offered a drive and waited to see what I'd say, well I said yes, and once it was all worked out, I rekon those other guys in the dealership that looked down at me for even standing near their cars are feeling a bit stupid..
Some dealers were a joke, just the usual avoiding me, watching me (that i dont do anything dodgy) but wont talk to me.. and god forbit I start convo with them, all I got to my question of "im interested in one of these, I like the colour, what sort of deal do you think is possible" i get 'hi mate, so ur after a car; what car are you *actually* going to *buy* ' c*nt! I found that terribly rude.

Before anyone gets upset, I'm a fulltime sales manager at a big electronics store; and i pride myself on my departments service, I couldnt have these sales people work for/with me.. pathetic..

btw, as said above, this is one of a few bad ones, had lots f good experiences also, but this thread is all on the bad..
Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2007, 10:43 PM   #63
bathurst77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Many years ago i wanted an el wagon (used). I went into a sydney ford dealer. they had 3 in the yard. i really liked the bugandy one, but didnt like the price. I spent half an hour haggling with salesman. i didnt like his lowest best "mate I cant go lower then that, thats at cost mate" price. All 3 were too expensive for mine.

A day or two later went to another ford dealer who had a few in his yard, and his price was OK, we haggled, his price got better, He said pick whichever you want, So I bought a dark blue one, very low KM, great condition . Good car, served me well.

About a week later salesman number one rings me. I told him too late, its all over. He got really abusive and rude, asked me how much i paid, i told him. he said I was an idiot, i paid too much, he could have done better. I said he told me there was no way he could go lower.... He really gave me an earful. I hung up.
bathurst77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2007, 10:49 PM   #64
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieJason
When I decided to upgrade my Falcon, I went to the Ford dealer and noticed four new XR6's in stock, in Yellow, Blue, a Grey and dark Grey.

Me: "I'd like to order a RED BF XR6 please."

Salesman: "Yes, sure sit down etc..."

Salesman does his sales chat bit then looks at his computer.

Sales: "Hmm, oh, hmm..."

Me: "What?"

Sales: "Well there are four XR6's here, but no red ones. You sure you want red?"

Me: "yeah, I took ages to decide the colour, and red is it."

Sales: "Ok. Just let me look again..."

Salesman uses computer again...

S: "Hmm, oh.... hmmm..."

M: "What's up?"

S: "Well, there are no red ones anywhere in the state. I think you will have to take one of the colours we have here."

M: "I'd really like a red one please. Even if I have to order it and wait."

Salesman takes me to another office, where a lady looks at her computer.

Lady: "Hmmm... will be a very long wait, no red ones going to be made for ages I'm afraid" may have to get one of the other colours we have in stock."

Sales: "The Blue and Yellow ones are really nice."

Me: "Look, I want a red one please. I don't mind waiting."

Lady: "I don't like red ones myself. The grey ones we have in stock are really nice."

Sales: "Yes, very nice. Want to have a look?"

Me: "I looked at them all the other day. Can I order a red one ?"

Lady goes on the colour selector part of Ford website, and shows me XR6's in (you guessed it) blue, yellow and grey.

Me: "Look, either you get me a RED one or I'm not buying anything. Ok?"

Sales: "Oh, ok. So you'd like a red one then?"

Me: "Yes."

Lady and salesman use computer again, I walk out of office and start looking at the blue one...

Sales: "Good news. We found two brand new red ones just delivered to a Ford yard in Perth. We should be able to have one here in a few days."

Me: "Miraculously appeared huh?"

Sales: "er... maybe we were using the system wrong the first few times we looked."

Me: "Ok, thanks. I'll have one of those red ones please."

A few days later my RED XR6 arrived with 4km on the clock. Been a great car, but very hard to get in red apparently.
Great story, hired a BA XT from Tullamarine once, guess what colour it was?, starts with R
GXL078 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2007, 10:56 PM   #65
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bathurst77
Many years ago i wanted an el wagon (used). I went into a sydney ford dealer. they had 3 in the yard. i really liked the bugandy one, but didnt like the price. I spent half an hour haggling with salesman. i didnt like his lowest best "mate I cant go lower then that, thats at cost mate" price. All 3 were too expensive for mine.

A day or two later went to another ford dealer who had a few in his yard, and his price was OK, we haggled, his price got better, He said pick whichever you want, So I bought a dark blue one, very low KM, great condition . Good car, served me well.

About a week later salesman number one rings me. I told him too late, its all over. He got really abusive and rude, asked me how much i paid, i told him. he said I was an idiot, i paid too much, he could have done better. I said he told me there was no way he could go lower.... He really gave me an earful. I hung up.
They ALWAYS say they could have done better AFTER you buy form someone else. Just say, yeah but you DIDN'T
GXL078 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2007, 11:15 PM   #66
Ruger
Bseries Moderator

Lol i have a bad dealer story too.
Was with a mate at an imports dealer looking at a mr2 turbo.. i did the usual looked over the car noticed the paint was pretty screwed (it was black and faded with dints and scratches on every panel) the price he was asking was high so i said "ah yer she looks ok the paint is a bit rough though" he blew up and said "paints a bit rough? you young guys want everything" and said some other gibberish.
he said it at the top of his voice i was gob smacked i thought he was joking or something and i started laughing then he stormed off lol

Only those that attempt the absurd achieve the impossible.

Serviced and maintained by Mascot Auto Repairs
Ruger is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2007, 08:51 AM   #67
JBomb3000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was walking past my local toyota dealer yesterday and they had the new 70 series V8 turbo diesel land cruiser sitting there with the bonnet up so i walked over and had a look at it.
Salesman: What do you think of it?
Me: It's a fairly impressive looking engine
Salesman: Nah thats not the impressive part, wait till you drive it.
Then tosses me the keys and we go for a spin, just like that.

Then on the flip side when i bought my XR6T i went a holden dealer to check out the new SV6 and was basically ignored, despite the fact i was already driving a BA XR6. Couldn't get a test drive and they just basically knew stuff all about the cars then when they finally rang me back with a price it was only $2000 cheaper than a XR6T :
JBomb3000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2007, 08:56 AM   #68
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

Look I am a sales rep in IT and its the same everywhere. There are so mnay people who think they can be a salesman becuse it looks from the outside a job that anyone can do without any qualificications. Some dealer managers are stupid enough to belive this too and hire accordingly to save wages costs.

Fact is there are good car salesmen and women around but its a job and they command good salaries and better commision schemes and more opportunities to sell EXPENSIVE cars than Ford dealers can provide.

I mean lets be honest now you love your Ford and so do i but if you were a good saleaman and could work for ford on a $40k base selling $40,000 cars or Mercedes benz on a $60k base selling $100k cars which job would you take?
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2007, 09:24 AM   #69
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bathurst77

I think the next car I buy, I'm gonna play that card. I'll wait for him to call back and go through that routine. When he says he "could have done better", I'll ask him how much, THEN say "OK, I'll buy one from you AT THAT PRICE". See what he says then. hehehehe

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
pertuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2007, 09:29 AM   #70
Doogstar
B-Series Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcgxl
maybe they get less warranty claims on the NA 6s because they DON'T get taken to the drags, break diifs do clutches etc. Less hassles for them. But it would come out of Ford's pocket right?
HAHA! where have you been mate, not true any more. :

380rwkw - 11.68 @ 120.94mph 60ft=1.97
Custom Tune, Exhaust. injectors.1.2K Plazmaman 1.2K Plenum kit

Now with bigger turbo and 426rwkw.
Doogstar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2007, 09:38 AM   #71
Nappa
Impressive...

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackahcdx
Most car sales people really don't care too much for cars and are just in the job for the money.

Sad but true.

not in my experiance, all the salesmen i know are car nuts, some know everything about every car ever made, they sell cars becasue they have a passion for them not because they just need a the money.
Old 21-04-2007, 09:47 AM   #72
AC
Saving for a Jet Car

I heard a similar story about a Ford Dealer in Sydney.

Theres a parts guy i go to get parts from, He went to a dealer near to his workshop to buy 2 new XR8 or XR6T utes and maybe trade his old XH. So twice he went there after work and twice the same salesmen blew him off. Kept saying he'd be better off with a EGAS ute rather than an expensive sportier XR Series.
Arguably he was a little grubby from work, but you dont judge a book by its cover.

So he got the *****'s with it and went to the Holden Deaer down the road and bought 2 SS Utes, one of them a crewman, all fully optioned. He then drove straight to back to the ford dealer and told them they had just lost over $100,000 in sales thanks to that guy.

I wonder if that guy still has a job.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2007, 10:09 AM   #73
351EL

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
I have had some classic idiots over the years say some really stupid things.

In 2001 I was upgrading my EL Fairmont to a new car, Fairmont Ghia was the facoured choice.

1) Dealer Allan Powell Bundaberg; I wandered in to look at a Fairmont Ghia. Salesman says they are crap and I need a Fairlane because he has one there to sell. Idiot, if I wanted a Fairlane I would have asked for a Fairlane.

2) Dealer Metro Ford Bris; Asked about Ghia, looked at XR8 and Ghia. Asked why they didnt make a Ghia with XR8 engine as that would be perfect. Was told no such thing and then pressured to sign for a Ghia that day. Idiot, as soon as pressure is applied I walk and they were a FTE dealer but this guy was a Ford only salesman so he did not mention the TE50 and TS50 in the other showroom.

3) Dealer Tarrants Maryborough; Asked about Ghia, told they are crap and I should buy the red XR8 they just received. Idiot, I want all the luxo junk.

I ended up going to Huston Ford in Kingaroy just by accident. They fell over themselves to help. They didnt have one to show. They borrowed one from a customer to show me. They kept in contact until they could get what I was looking for. They drove over to show me (200km) and then delivered it. EXCELLENT service.

In 2002 I was contacted after the local show by a sales guy from Tarrants trying to sell me the SAME XR8 wging was now a demo and had bonuses. I took it for a drive. Was half convinced until he said and I quote "You this this is good, wait until you see the new model, it has the Mustang engine". IDIOT.

In 2003 I was interested in a new GT. I specially went to the Bris motor show (400km) to look at the new FPVs. I was approached by a salesman from Bryan Byrt in Bris. He arranged for me to test drive a XR8 to see what the V8s were like. I turned up the next day. He was still at the motor show and the sales guy at Bryan Byrt was not interested in me because I now "belonged" to the othe sales guy. I walked out.

I rang the Kingaroy guy. He said he had now bought an additional dealership, Tarrants in Maryborough and they were going to be a FPV dealer. I ordered a GT-P the next day. It arrived on a Saturday and they bent over backwards to get it to me. They have contacted me almost every time they get a new demo in (this is why I have driven all the different FPVs, Turbo Terri, LTD, G8 etc) and just give me the car to play with until I am bored.

I have now bought 3 FPVs, a ute, a mondeo, 3 ghias, a fairmont and a falcon from them. (not all new)

They are VERY good at selling me cars because they treat me like an important customer not a target.
Huston ford would haveto be the best dealer around. I went there a couple of years ago looking for a 2nd hand base model au ute. They let me test drive the mustang they had there even though I told them I wasn't interested in buying it.
351EL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2007, 12:19 PM   #74
GT
Mrs Russellw
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: All your effort in keeping me sane and on-track. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For her honest, direct and helpful advice to members. The content of her posts help many members on the forum and most times, turn a very negative thread into a postive one. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecraft
not uncommon..
My mate works for a Ford dealership and drives a Suzuki. Even the loaners they give him end up parked and into his Suzi he gets.. HE hates driving Fords, but working for them pays the bills

That's kind of funny. I work for a Suzuki dealership but drive a Ford! I have a demo to drive which I only use to get to and from work.

GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMS290
Fact is Gaela's GTP IS the quickest NA Boss 290 Sedan now (by a long shot)
The precedent of stripping weight and using full slicks was set years ago now.

So if you want to beat em, ya gotta join em, and being manual makes the time even more credible.
GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2007, 12:24 PM   #75
XRchic
Hello

Its not all bad. They guy who actually sold me my car was really nice, very helpful, didnt treat me like a moron because Im a chic and really knew his stuff. He loved the cars. I actually wrote to Ford HQ about him and apparently he got a nice note about it from someone senior... he deserved it.

: Cobra :
XRchic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2007, 04:12 PM   #76
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenster
After reading all this, it starting to wonder why Ford sale are going down and you dont see much of them on the roads.
Yes and if you get through this first line of defence, often the dealer principal will have appointed a ******** to run the service section.

Dan
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2007, 04:28 PM   #77
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRchic
Its not all bad. They guy who actually sold me my car was really nice, very helpful, didnt treat me like a moron because Im a chic and really knew his stuff. He loved the cars. I actually wrote to Ford HQ about him and apparently he got a nice note about it from someone senior... he deserved it.
If Ford were smart they would do a bit more write a note to a car salesman who can sell well to women. Should have made him sales manager! Paid him more. This is something very few car sales people ever really get the hang of.

I sell IT stuf into a lot of fairly small consultant type business and usually I talk tech to the men and business (close the dollar sale) with the women but occasionally you have to do the reverse and its much harder, Any one who can do this is good
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2007, 07:50 PM   #78
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

I went to Strapp ford today looking at FPV's waited 15 mins or more for anyone to even know I was there, they did seem busy, but I was looking closely at the cars

The TS was parked 20 foot away right out front I should have looked like a prospect.

Then help did arrive, and all was well.. This guy was polite and helpful and knowlegeable detailed knowlege all the way back to EB's.

Had I walked I would have thought what a bunch of..... don't they want to sell cars.

They were simply busy and when I get around to buying in the next few months I will definately go back.

Note: No brochures available and won't be for a couple of months? Is that correct or were they trying to save two bits?
Old 21-04-2007, 08:03 PM   #79
Doogstar
B-Series Moderator

Many moons ago, a guy I was emailing about buying a Flash Tuner off, told me he was the Service Manager for a Holden Dealership, so I asked him why he had a Ford Flash tuner. Turns out he has a BA Turbo and they try and get him to drive a Holden but he doesn't like them and drives his Ford to work everyday. He was going to sell his turbo to buy a GT or Typhoon. They offered him a new VE Calais to drive, which he would drive to work, but he was still going to buy a FPV for the weekends.

Old 21-04-2007, 10:19 PM   #80
DTFRMONT

Great youtube vid....................... Language warning though!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpUArkrIxeE
DTFRMONT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2007, 10:49 PM   #81
SirJuggsalot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BPyhul5v2M

gotta feel sorry for this salesman lol
Old 21-04-2007, 11:06 PM   #82
mustang70

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRchic
Some of you may have heard of my experience before... a few years ago now just before the first Typhoons were sold... (abbreviated version), I had parked my BA XR6 out the front and walked in...

Me: I would like to order a Typhoon please

Salesman: Ohhhh really? But do you realise they only come in MANUAL?

Me: Yes. Of course.

SM: What do you plan on trading in?

Me: See that black BA out there? (me points and he nods) That one.. the MANUAL one!

SM: Oh.... ok... that's good then!!! (all cheery)

Me: Now I hear that the Typhoon will have 270kw and 550Nm at around 2000rpm?

SM: No, that is the GT. The Typhoon has 290kw and just over 500Nm.

Me: Nooooo, it doesnt. You have them back to front. And there is no way the Typhoon would have more power than the GT.

SM: No, no, sorry my dear but I sell these cars for a living, I assure you that is the case.

Me: Lets check shall we?

SM: OK then (struts off to ask sales manager and comes back red faced).... yes you were right, I am very sorry. I just got confused with all the cars I have sold today.

Me: Hmmm well I would like to order the Typhoon in black, with window tint and sunroof.

SM: You realise that you will have to pay luxury car tax?

Me: Yes, I do. I worked out the car will be roughly $61K with the options, so roughly $1K in luxury car tax.

SM: No, you will have to pay around $4K in LCT. I only just explained to a customer about LCT earlier today. Its part of my job to understand LCT.

Me: Well in fact, the luxury car tax threshhold (then) is $57K, and it is $25% of the amount over that which is LCT - so its $4K over, so LCT will be $1K yeah? Oh, and I am a tax lawyer, it is also my job to understand tax law...

SM: (evasive) Riiight, well come along and I will get you brochures then, shall I?

Me: No thanks, I just want to order one, Ive seen those brochures at the Motor Show anyway.

SM: YOU went to the Motor Show????

Me: Yeah, they didnt have a sign out the front saying "No chics allowed"... (VERY cross and sarcastic)

SM: No need to be rude!!!!

Me: (walks out)
so did you buy a typhoon at all? i'm not saying he wasnt a jerk but i'm sure these guys get 'dreamers' in all the time and perhaps he thought you were. if you didnt buy it why not? did this put you off? were there no other ford dealerships near you?
mustang70 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2007, 11:07 PM   #83
Doogstar
B-Series Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTFRMONT
Great youtube vid....................... Language warning though!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpUArkrIxeE
ROFLMAO! That is funny!

Old 22-04-2007, 12:46 AM   #84
stef4001

what a video.he was a funny **********.im think of buying a typhoon and after reading this i might get one straight off the factory floor.
stef4001 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2007, 09:32 AM   #85
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That test drive guy is REAL clever.
He actually created the evidence needed to prosecute himself.

But he is from the land of JERRY JERRY JERRY..........
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2007, 01:10 PM   #86
XRchic
Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang70
so did you buy a typhoon at all? i'm not saying he wasnt a jerk but i'm sure these guys get 'dreamers' in all the time and perhaps he thought you were. if you didnt buy it why not? did this put you off? were there no other ford dealerships near you?
Good question. No I did not. What I did was get all angry and go home. I then told my Dad about it and after a long talk that night, decided to put the money into buying a house... which I now live in...

I plan on getting an FPV one day, but this time I know where I will be going!!!

: Cobra :
XRchic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2007, 01:32 PM   #87
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirJuggsalot
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BPyhul5v2M

gotta feel sorry for this salesman lol
That's one reason why salesmen won't let some people test drive cars !!!

That was un believable !
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2007, 03:01 PM   #88
X000BOSS
I12 GO FASTER

friends of ours (with very thick wallkets) walked into a dealership to purchase a new jag. 55yr old with his 2 sons, straight from work in work clothes. 2 salesman totally ignored them and walked into the showroom when they tried to approach them. a junior salesman walked up to them and asked what he could do to help them. they bought a brand new jag from junior. in the process the other sales staff tried to come over and talk to the guys, the old man told them to get lost cause he's dealing with junior. he asked junior for his name and wrote him a $2000 cheque to thank him for his service.

if it wasnt for the enthusiastic younger salesperson, the dealer would have lost a big sale that day.
Old 24-04-2007, 05:27 PM   #89
Bucket
XR5 Pilot

I remember a situation when i worked in Sales...a guy comes in asking me for a Figure (%) on Finance...the older guy my colleauge said he was a Tyre kicker and to ignore him...send him on his merry way...I got the Finance lady to talk to him and he bought a new Swift that Day.
Later on, the other salesman that told me to send him off conftonted me and asked for that sale as I wasnt able to make commision yet...slimy so and so...Me being the new guy choked and gave it to him.
Old 24-04-2007, 05:49 PM   #90
TATT2
100% aussie hillbilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by 351EL
Huston ford would haveto be the best dealer around. I went there a couple of years ago looking for a 2nd hand base model au ute. They let me test drive the mustang they had there even though I told them I wasn't interested in buying it.
Im another who would agree Huston Ford are the best, i drove from bris to Kingaroy to buy a car off them couple of yrs ago...looking at getting a nissan narvara at the moment, no guesses where I'll be going for it
TATT2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post