Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-10-2006, 11:49 PM   #61
Smoked
Burnin Rubber

They look alright and knowing my Mother, she will probably buy one.
***Coming Soon: Clear Side Repeaters***
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-ShowStoPPa
...dont get me wrong this 3.8v6 is pretty special, it does come with the popular shake rattle and roll option and the auto compliments this with the ever popular snap crackle and pop feature
Smoked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2006, 12:01 AM   #62
feebs
BrwnBstd

This car has been specifically tuned to have a high kw figure, losing low end grunt.

204kw with a 0-100 time of 9.3 seconds???

I wonder what is weighs, cant be as fat as an BA surely?
feebs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2006, 08:03 AM   #63
05MkIIFutura
SV6000. Yum

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfords-dot-org
it Will sell, and very well as a "class leading" 200kw, and good fuel consumption what "run of the mil" family wouldn't buy one? Hell if i was after a "A to B" car that went "well", ipd buy one.. in a heartbeat
From GoAuto News, i agree with you if you read the specs of the base model, it walks all over the VE Omega and is $1500 cheaper!!!
05MkIIFutura is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2006, 08:04 AM   #64
05MkIIFutura
SV6000. Yum

Quote:
Originally Posted by feebs
I wonder what is weighs, cant be as fat as an BA surely?

AT-X has a 1590kg kerb weight
05MkIIFutura is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2006, 10:40 AM   #65
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
Don't bet on Toyota benchmarking anything. They'll probably outsell GM..... average to poor build
Funny you say that when their regarded in the Australian industry as having the best build quality of all the locals, and both Holden, MMAL and Ford have used Toyota as a benchmark in the past.
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2006, 02:55 PM   #66
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_au
Funny you say that when their regarded in the Australian industry as having the best build quality of all the locals, and both Holden, MMAL and Ford have used Toyota as a benchmark in the past.
I have never seen a Toyota stand up to the abuse a Falcon can take. And until I do, they're behind Ford.

The base my dad drives a cab for tried out an Avalon. In 8 months it went from being a brand new car to literally falling to pieces. The owner took a hit, got rid of it and replaced it with a BA. The car spent more time off the road being repaired then it did driving.

I was recently driving a Camry rental because my Fiesta got rear ended... by a Camry. Biggest heap of garbage car new car I've ever driven. And the Camry that rear ended the Fez (a late 90s example)... one of this shape...

Was a write off. The funny thing is he didn't even hit my car directly. He hit a late 80s Charade that was behind me, wrote himself off on that, wrote the Charade off, and damaged my rear bumper. Two Toyota's (Daihatsu = Toyota) got written off by the plastic bumper of a German Ford? :

And I was recently driving a Toyota Hiace 2.4 auto (not the ugly bulldog nosed new model, the one they had from like 1989-2004) for work. A 90,000km old 2000 model. That thing was falling to pieces. Literally. The interior was destroyed, the seals were peeling off the windows on the outside and hanging down the side, it was a general mess. My dad's old '95 Ford Econovan Maxi which had well over 500,000km on it was in better condition when we had it.

I've got plenty more Toyota horror stories if you'd like to hear them.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2006, 03:37 PM   #67
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

Thanks for living in the past Steffo, but you have to realise Toyota have worked up until this point to rid themselves of the exact things you're speaking of.

Whoever can say that the Sportivo models are bland are kidding themselves, I'm talking from a visual perspective and care nothing about it's mechanical abilities/disabilities. They are a great looking car, both the Camry and the Aurion. Albeit the base models look a bit poorer, but what other base car in the competition doesn't? I know in terms of looks an Aurion AT-X or Camry Altise is far better looking than a Commodore Omega, the Falcon XT however is right up there.

I will admit as a car enthusiast and so forth, that jumping into even a 2003 (the last shape) Camry is boring. I drove an Avalon Conquest for about a week earlier on this year and I could say it was the most depressing vehicle I'd ever driven. Every car I have ever driven has had some sort of character but I can honestly say that the Avalon was so boring I felt like sleeping....

But what you people who obviously can't embrace change unless it's on a blue oval, is that those boring things are of the past when it comes to Toyota's new offerings. You need to actually get out and experience these cars, take an extended test drive and get to know it before you pin it with it's predecessors. I can only suspect that some of the people who are criticising Toyota so badly are judging their new cars by the older ones.... All I can say is get out and have a proper look at them...

And Hiace....... sorry, I don't know much about commercial vans, but as far as I am lead to believe there isn't a more reliable and efficient van on the market, or am I dead wrong? Where I work Hiace are as rare as dog balls, almost 100% of the Hiaces we get in stock are sold prior to arrival.
Old 18-10-2006, 03:39 PM   #68
Jondalar
Formely FG G6E Turbo

Performance SUCKS for a car with 200kW it can only get 0-100km/h time of 9.3?? That's about 1.7 sec slower than a Falcon with ZF 6AT. Sure they look great from the front, but the rear is all wrong apart from on the sport models. It's a typical Jap motor with lots of peak power but none of you can use in everyday driving. Give me my Boss 260 anyday. ;)
Jondalar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2006, 03:43 PM   #69
EFFalcon
Last warning

looks better then the VE

i remember manual Camry's rivaling Falcon performance... i'm suprised this thing can't even come close.
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2006, 04:33 PM   #70
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

THe front looks ok, but the back is classical Toyota. Lack of curves or style.
To me, the new Camry is a box with slight curves. The Aurion isn't all that much better.

Not to generalise, but people who drive Camry's are people who either know nothing about cars, are bloody old and drive like a snail, or people who don't love their cars.

People who have immigrated to Australia also love their Camrys. That's also why their sales have increased. Camry is an international brand.

The Aurion will do well due to Toyota's reputation for building reliable machines. People don't care if the seats are as good as a wooden pew.

But I won't buy a Toyota ever because of their plans for world domination.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2006, 05:13 PM   #71
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin
I like the listed performance, 0-100 in 9.3 :
Fuel consumption is based on running premium too....
Yes I noticed that too - hmmmm good looking car and the figures are fine (as far as power/torque/fuel efficiency etc go) but whats with the dissappointing 0-100 times???

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
SB076 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2006, 05:23 PM   #72
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Don't bet on Toyota benchmarking anything. They'll probably outsell GM, but it'll just be cheap, average to poor build, whitegoods on wheels. They'll never match up to the Germans for feel, refinement, sophistication, true quality or performance.
Which German manufacturers are you refering too? Both Benz and BMW have had a fair few quality concerns/recalls recently. There is an organisation that lists manufacturers and gives them a quality rating - From memory the German manufacturers were a fair way done the list (except Porsche who came first) Think it was in go-auto.

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
SB076 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2006, 05:42 PM   #73
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I have never seen a Toyota stand up to the abuse a Falcon can take.
I know that out of all the cars managed by the Orix car fleet (over some 30,000 vehicles), the Toyotas have the least warranty work required.
Old 18-10-2006, 06:37 PM   #74
Jayden
Graphic Artist

I wont buy a Toyota not because I think they suck, but because Ford still exists.
I would much rather be seen in any Falcon cruising the streets window down,
you just cant cruise Australia in a toyota imo. its just not the culture that differentiates us.

thats what effects what I buy anyway.

and as far as the styling goes its obvious they have just followed the european trend after seeing how popular it was on the BA and the Commodore equivelent year whateva that is, which have had it for ages now.
Jayden is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2006, 10:15 PM   #75
Olympus
Rocket Fuel Anyone?

Sheesh, can't they release it with some 19's and lowered. Get with the times Toyota.
Olympus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2006, 12:37 AM   #76
feebs
BrwnBstd

Hmmm

I think we need another 'worlds ugliest car' forum so we can all feel better.
feebs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2006, 10:41 AM   #77
BlueRaven
Dual O2 sensors

Except for AU owners...hahaha

... which includes me. :(
Old 19-10-2006, 10:55 AM   #78
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Where did the 9.3 to 100 figure come from? Dosnt soudn right, I'll wait to see what MOTOR gets out of it (not that I'm thinking of buying one, just that 200kw + sub 1600kg should be a lot quicker than that).
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2006, 11:31 AM   #79
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin
Where did the 9.3 to 100 figure come from? Dosnt soudn right, I'll wait to see what MOTOR gets out of it (not that I'm thinking of buying one, just that 200kw + sub 1600kg should be a lot quicker than that).
Goauto just pulled a 7.4

Someone wasnt trying very hard with the 9.3.
Old 19-10-2006, 11:38 AM   #80
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

I'm pretty sure the 9.3 figure is a load of crap..

I'm waiting to see a video of an independant test of an Aurion AT-X racing a Commodore Omega down the quarter, apparantly the Aurion beat it with a 14 sec pass (not sure whether that was low-mid-high 14 or not)
Old 19-10-2006, 11:39 AM   #81
colossus
Secret Sleuth

Quote:
Goauto just pulled a 7.4

Someone wasnt trying very hard with the 9.3.
7.4 is good for an auto (I'm assuming here it is an auto)

When the BA first came out the best times were 7.23 to 100 for a manual XT and the auto XR6 was about 8.2 to 100. (times quoted from MOTOR)
colossus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2006, 01:26 PM   #82
EFFalcon
Last warning

14 second 1/4 from a stock aurion... i hope not! :|
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2006, 02:37 PM   #83
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackout
Thanks for living in the past Steffo, but you have to realise Toyota have worked up until this point to rid themselves of the exact things you're speaking of.
They're obviously not doing a very good job. Being overrated is a nice thing for a car manufacturer (ask BMW re: the M5 and how well it performs [or doesn't] against some of its rivals, according to the media). Like I said, I have lots of Toyota horror stories, from new and old models. More then Holden ones!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackout
And Hiace....... sorry, I don't know much about commercial vans, but as far as I am lead to believe there isn't a more reliable and efficient van on the market, or am I dead wrong? Where I work Hiace are as rare as dog balls, almost 100% of the Hiaces we get in stock are sold prior to arrival.
Hiace has to be the most overrated and overpriced van on the market. I remember shopping for vans not long ago, 2002 Hiace, 65,000km, automatic... $27,990. The dealership was accross the road where you could get a brand new 2.7 Hiace for $30,990!

I've had the chance to compare a few vans to each other, most noteable would be long time direct competitors Econovan Maxi and Hiace. Said Hiace was a 2.4 EFI Petrol model, 85kW 200Nm, 4spd automatic, SWB. Said Econovan was 2.0 Carb, 63kW 154Nm, 4spd automatic, MWB. They're about the same size, as the SWB Econovan competes with the smaller Townace. The Ford is slightly larger, has a higher payload, body-rolls slightly less in corners, has a better layed out interior, used LESS petrol (13.7 vs 16.4L combined average) and you can buy equally good ones to the Hiace for almost half the price. Hiace is good. But its not as good as its overinflated prices make it out to be.

:
Old 20-10-2006, 12:02 AM   #84
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Like I said, I have lots of Toyota horror stories, from new and old models. More then Holden ones!
BS the VT-VZ was the most recalled car in Australian motoring history.

And stop comparing a $80,000+ european car (I use that term loosely as the majority of the so called europeans out here are south african) to a $35,000 Toyota. Put it against a Peugot, Citroen, Vauxhaul or a Volkswagen and Ill take the Toyota thanks.
Old 20-10-2006, 12:22 AM   #85
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
BS the VT-VZ was the most recalled car in Australian motoring history.

And stop comparing a $80,000+ european car (I use that term loosely as the majority of the so called europeans out here are south african) to a $35,000 Toyota. Put it against a Peugot, Citroen, Vauxhaul or a Volkswagen and Ill take the Toyota thanks.
My $18,490 RRP German-made Ford was adequately well built to write off two Japanese cars... a $30 something K Camry and a POS Charade and all they did was hit my plastic bumper.

And I simply said I have more Toyota horror stories then Holden ones, not that more Toyota's were recalled. Being recalled isn't necessarily a horror story...

Oh and to put Toyota above VW? LOL! When my dad's gf bought her Polo 1.4 16V in '01 she actually bothered to test drive an Echo (I can't understand why). That car was one of the biggest POS I've ever been in. Everything felt like it was cardboard. The doors, the roof, the bonnet, the guards... its all paper thin. You can coax it into bending with your index finger. You couldn't do that to the Polo so easily. And its lasted problem free until it got traded for a Golf 2.0 FSI 6sp auto about a week ago. Which two friends have owned without issue, and quite outstanding fuel economy for a car in that class on petrol, might I add. Not far off another guy I know with a Prius (that thing gets 6.2/100, the Golf is doing 7.5/100).

The Polo was made in Spain. The Golf is made in South Africa. Also, you should see what some VW's, Renault's, Fiat's etc endure in Europe, especially in some of the Eastern European countries, in comparison to their Japanese (Toyota, Honda, Nissan etc) competition and how much better they come out of it.

:
Old 20-10-2006, 02:51 AM   #86
MAFIA
Grange killer!!!!

Guys all it is a camry with a bit of facelift and bodykit and V6 version of the camry. Still the same car and still front wheel drive. C'mon Toyota you do better than that. Sorry but 380 GT :eclipsee_ is way way better then Aurion V6 at least they admit it a 380 compare to toyota won't say it a camry when it is! :MrT_anim:

:eclipsee_ 380 GT anyday for me!!! :eclipsee_

INSURED BY MAFIA. YOU HIT US, WE KILL YOU!

FORD FTE AU T-SERIES CLUB OF AUSTRALIA
www.tseriesclub.org
MAFIA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2006, 09:25 AM   #87
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Steffo as usual there is no point arguing with you because as usual your too biased and narrow minded.

Have a nice day.

But before I go, lets have a quick look at some indepedant opinions:
http://money.cnn.com/2003/07/08/pf/a...ility/?cnn=yes
and the J.D. Power long-term quality survey. Toyota and Lexus look out on top. Volkswagen is way down the list. And remember, this is a proper survey done in America, not some experience that you or your extended family have had.

Problems per 100 vehicles:
Manufacturer Score
Porsche 193
Toyota 196
Honda 215
Nissan 258
BMW 262
General Motors 264
Subaru 266
Average 273
Ford 287
DaimlerChrysler 311
Mitsubishi 339
Hyundai 342
Isuzu 368
Volkswagen 378
Suzuki 403
Daewoo 421
Kia 509
Top 10 Brands

Fewest problems per 100 vehicles after 3 years:
Brand Score
Lexus 163
Infiniti 174
Buick 179
Porsche 193
Acura 196
Toyota 201
Cadillac 209
Lincoln 212
Honda 218
Mercury 240

Top Vehicles with the fewest problems in their segment:
Vehicle type Top ranked
Premium luxury Lexus LS 400
Entry-level luxury Lexus ES 300
Luxury SUV Lexus RX 300
Premium sports car Porsche 911
Full-size car Mercury Grand Marquis
Compact car Toyota Corolla

Last edited by Dave_au; 20-10-2006 at 09:42 AM.
Old 20-10-2006, 09:53 AM   #88
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Steffo as usual there is no point arguing with you because as usual your too biased and narrow minded.

Have a nice day.

But before I go, lets have a quick look at some indepedant opinions:
http://money.cnn.com/2003/07/08/pf/a...ility/?cnn=yes
and the J.D. Power long-term quality survey. Toyota and Lexus look out on top. Volkswagen is way down the list. And remember, this is a proper survey done in America, not some experience that you or your extended family have had.

Problems per 100 vehicles:
Manufacturer Score
Porsche 193
Toyota 196
Honda 215
Nissan 258
BMW 262
General Motors 264
Subaru 266
Average 273
Ford 287
DaimlerChrysler 311
Mitsubishi 339
Hyundai 342
Isuzu 368
Volkswagen 378
Suzuki 403
Daewoo 421
Kia 509
Top 10 Brands

Fewest problems per 100 vehicles after 3 years:
Brand Score
Lexus 163
Infiniti 174
Buick 179
Porsche 193
Acura 196
Toyota 201
Cadillac 209
Lincoln 212
Honda 218
Mercury 240

Top Vehicles with the fewest problems in their segment:
Vehicle type Top ranked
Premium luxury Lexus LS 400
Entry-level luxury Lexus ES 300
Luxury SUV Lexus RX 300
Premium sports car Porsche 911
Full-size car Mercury Grand Marquis
Compact car Toyota Corolla
Dave no point showing some people the true figures, they will still argue black and blue that "all car makers have problems yadda yadda yadda"....
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Old 20-10-2006, 11:01 AM   #89
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin
Dave no point showing some people the true figures, they will still argue black and blue that "all car makers have problems yadda yadda yadda"....
But all car makers do have problems. It's part of the car biz.

It's just that some cars have more problems.

Not surprisingly, Kia is the ultimate piece of sloppy poo. Maybe when Daewoo go under, Holden can get their designs from Kia.

I found the figures interesting though.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2006, 11:07 AM   #90
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
But all car makers do have problems. It's part of the car biz.

It's just that some cars have more problems.
I agree 100%.

Its your second paragraph that those other people always forget to write.