Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 11:17 PM   #61
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: XR8 vs SSV including dyno test

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Lol, a low blow from the bloke who invited me around for beers in my time of need.
and the offer is still open dude

drinking beer and talking cars is much more fun than arguing on computerz
2 users like this post:
Old 09-01-2015, 11:19 PM   #62
SensationFG8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I doubt too many here would buy a 4cyl mustang, lucky ford do an 8cyl one too hey!
Sensation FG XR8 290kW NA V8, 6spd Automatic

Current Rides
Octane GTF SC V8, 6spd Manual, Manta 3" X pipes and hotdogs
Starlight Lotus Evora S 258kW SC V6, 6spd Manual
Old 09-01-2015, 11:22 PM   #63
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensationFG8 View Post
Yet you agreed the 2017 commodore will not compete with falcon only 30mins ago...

You think you're a realist but reality says you're just like everyone else here a person with an opinion. Sadly you reverted to name calling to express it as you were incapable of keeping the discussion on the "game" rather than the "person" as you put it.
That is fact, not opinion.

If calling you one of the sore losers has offended you I apologise, not surprised, but apologetic all the same.

Now back on topic hey.
Old 09-01-2015, 11:25 PM   #64
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
I doubt too many here would buy a 4cyl mustang, lucky ford do an 8cyl one too hey!
All 300kw of it
Old 09-01-2015, 11:27 PM   #65
SensationFG8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No apology necessary, I don't even come from the era you ranted about so I don't feel it was directed at me personally. I just find your posts amusing and hypocritical.

Current Rides
Old 09-01-2015, 11:28 PM   #66
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbkym01 View Post
Yeah coz the XR8 doesn't even have a spot to put the "8 Track cassette's", being so dated and all
I dont really understand what you are saying BUT.

Here you go. Just bolt this on the dash....

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
2 users like this post:
Old 09-01-2015, 11:28 PM   #67
SensationFG8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
All 300kw of it
300 > 260 last I checked... Combine that with the lower weight. I thought you were a realist?

Current Rides
Old 09-01-2015, 11:33 PM   #68
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattrobbo26 View Post
Watching the SS in your rear view mirror leaving the lights is more likely to happen than getting them together on the race track.
Given how few XR8s there will be on the road, even that is unlikely.
This user likes this post:
Old 09-01-2015, 11:37 PM   #69
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Lets try keeping this somewhere close to the topic shall we?
2 users like this post:
Old 09-01-2015, 11:40 PM   #70
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

Thats true, holden have obviously done something right with the VF commodore.

Sales last year Falcon =6K commodore =30K.

That is quite a big difference. With that few sales no wonder they had no money to spend on the FG-X.

It will be interesting to see the sales months when the XR8 starts to sell and see if it lifts ford sales.

Maybe able to get a break down of XR8 vs SSV-R sales. Now that would be interesting.

Xtreme Ford Tuning

Old 09-01-2015, 11:45 PM   #71
SensationFG8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You're right Aaron, with such a small budget we should be amazed at how much of a hiding the xr8 has delivered to the SS in the engine department.

Genuinely though I think all of us have lost here. There aren't actually any winners, the war is over soon and the people that love aussie v8's are the ones losing.

Current Rides
Old 10-01-2015, 12:21 AM   #72
zilo
BANNED

203kw at the wheels for an SS redline?...LOL...

I suspected as much cause my FWD reliably pulls away.
Old 10-01-2015, 12:41 AM   #73
tjb45

Did anyone hear about the two press cars (SS and XR8) that were crashed at the Wodonga Track? I saw some good photos of the SS they were hiding at the local Holden Dealer between Christmas and New year with big damage...

Wonder if it was these cars..

Last edited by tjb45; 10-01-2015 at 12:49 AM.
Old 10-01-2015, 05:27 AM   #74
LoudPipes
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattrobbo26 View Post
The Holden could be 5 seconds, 10 seconds, however many faster around the track and I wouldn't care. How many people will be track racing their xr8 against a SS? Overtaking and accelerating speed are more practical in a real life scenario. Watching the SS in your rear view mirror leaving the lights is more likely to happen than getting them together on the race track.
Using your real life scenario how many owners will be accelerating full throttle between traffic lights or to and over the speed limit in overtaking manoeuvres to show up the other brand.

Not many, that’ll be left to a few idiots that don’t value their licences, care if their cars are impounded or the safety of other road users.

These days unless you take the cars to a track or drag strip their performance is a muted point as the sales of motor vehicles in general prove.

Full blooded horsepower and handling characteristics are mainly irrelevant to most people and given the heavy handedness towards hoon type behaviour, it’s one of the reasons the general public refer to them as dinosaurs and don’t buy these cars any more.

When Ford and Holden were selling big numbers of cars in Australia it wasn’t the performance models that were their bread and butter, it was the family hacks.

Even many collectors and classic car owners don’t use straight out performance cars as the reason for their purchase, build or interest.

Time moves quickly and soon the only people who are going to care which brand had the best performance models will be a few rusted on grey haired great granddads.

So why get hung up on just the performance part of the article.

Why not talk comfort, road handling, safety, technology, resale, popularity, reliability, cost of service, after sales support, available options and finish quality for a change and have some different arguments from all the other recent threads that have been dominated by the same few members and their around and around in circles opinions.
2 users like this post:
Old 10-01-2015, 05:53 AM   #75
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

Yep times have really changed since I got my licence. I use to luv being first at the lights, because if another hot car pulled up it was on. And if the cops pulled you up they would say to pull your head in and stop being stupid.

AHHH those were the days. It was a great time to drive.. Drop the oil on a Friday night at the Scarborough beach car park. Drive in on a Saturday night. Back up the Sandman...

Roads were full of SL/R SS XU1 toranas XY XA XB XC GTs. Monaros, Chargers,

It was real freedom. I am so glad I got to live it.

Xtreme Ford Tuning

3 users like this post:
Old 10-01-2015, 08:08 AM   #76
SensationFG8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The answer to "why not talk about boring stuff" pipes is that it's boring. The reason people talk about the performance even if it can't be used is because it's exciting. Although if you read there are quite a few comments on road manners in this thread, it seems xr8 was given those honours in this review.

So let's take performance out of it now then.

The xr8 sounds better when cruising or applying small bits of acceleration. That alone is worth the win, holden really don't do a good stock exhaust.

Mate of mine has a nice walky exhaust on his ve and that sounds fantastic but it also adds $.

PS the only people talking in circles are the ones talking about members rather than the topic at hand, why do you feel you need to silence the discussion with the same "circle" comment all the time?

(ironic hey, you keep posting the same thing)

Current Rides

Last edited by SensationFG8; 10-01-2015 at 08:16 AM.
Old 10-01-2015, 10:23 AM   #77
Tezza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why not talk comfort, road handling, safety, technology, resale, popularity, reliability, cost of service, after sales support, available options and finish quality for a change and have some different arguments from all the other recent threads that have been dominated by the same few members and their around and around in circles opinions.[/QUOTE]

Seriously mate, perhaps you would be better off discussing that over on the Toyota Camry thread....? If I am going to buy a "performance car" then the most important thing is its performance (drivetrain) by at least 51%. That means while all the other stuff is nice to have and adds points to the overall driving experience, it will collectively never be more important than the drivetrain. If the other stuff is so important to you, then go review a Calais, G6E, C or 3 series which will have a lot better features than the cars being discussed here is this thread.

Next you will be telling as that a hookers most important quality is being able to spoon you afterwards and take you out to lunch the next day....!
2 users like this post:
Old 10-01-2015, 11:21 AM   #78
graphicgoose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The answer to "why not talk about boring stuff" pipes is that it's boring. The reason people talk about the performance even if it can't be used is because it's exciting. Although if you read there are quite a few comments on road manners in this thread, it seems xr8 was given those honours in this review.

So let's take performance out of it now then.

The xr8 sounds better when cruising or applying small bits of acceleration. That alone is worth the win, holden really don't do a good stock exhaust.

Mate of mine has a nice walky exhaust on his ve and that sounds fantastic but it also adds $.
Boring you say? Personally I love the fact that I can do this (not my car, but my car does the exact same thing). It's awesome on hot days being able to turn the car on and have the aircon cool the car down before you get back in it.

Granted, the XR8 sounds better with the stock exhaust, but the LS motors sound better with aftermarket exhausts...blower whine aside.
Old 10-01-2015, 11:37 AM   #79
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
So what if the Redline is a little quicker on a track. Probably not even one percent will ever see a track, and the XR8 is quicker in a straight line and better on the road, where they spent pretty much their whole lives.

I'd call it an XR8 win.

Really clutching at straws to hang your hat on lap times. Unless it's nothing but a track car and never see's road duties.
Totally agree, and if anyone was going to use any car as a track car you would mod them as well so it's a moot point coming down to budgets. Lol at the thought of boasting my car is a fantastic track racer until someone asks me which track do I race at as I go to work everyday down Nepean Highway.
2 users like this post:
Old 10-01-2015, 12:02 PM   #80
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by arronm View Post
And wait till they up the GTS to 500kw
But it wont 'really' be 500kw
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
3 users like this post:
Old 10-01-2015, 12:17 PM   #81
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83 View Post
But it wont 'really' be 500kw
Holden accounting, quote 500 at the engine but only 270 make it to the wheels
3 users like this post:
Old 10-01-2015, 01:16 PM   #82
SensationFG8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Remote start doesn't apply to manuals

I'd take the cogs over remote start any day personally.

Horses for courses.

Current Rides
5 users like this post:
Old 10-01-2015, 01:20 PM   #83
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tezza View Post
Why not talk comfort, road handling, safety, technology, resale, popularity, reliability, cost of service, after sales support, available options and finish quality for a change and have some different arguments from all the other recent threads that have been dominated by the same few members and their around and around in circles opinions.
Seriously mate, perhaps you would be better off discussing that over on the Toyota Camry thread....? If I am going to buy a "performance car" then the most important thing is its performance (drivetrain) by at least 51%. That means while all the other stuff is nice to have and adds points to the overall driving experience, it will collectively never be more important than the drivetrain. If the other stuff is so important to you, then go review a Calais, G6E, C or 3 series which will have a lot better features than the cars being discussed here is this thread.

Next you will be telling as that a hookers most important quality is being able to spoon you afterwards and take you out to lunch the next day....![/QUOTE]

It might be your priority, but you are wrong to assume its everyones. I look at the total package and I can't believe that others who buy V8's or Turbo's for that matter only consider straightline speed.

Maybe its an age thing. At nearly fifty I really don't care if you beat me at the lights, but I do love the sound and effortless power of my V8 car.

I've owned three V8's new and one AWD Turbo new since my thirties and none of them were the fastest at the time I purchased them, but I considered them the best all round packages for me and my circumstances at the time.

If you wasn't impressed by them at the lights, I don't care then or now. I don't buy my cars because I want to impress you or anyone else. I buy them because I want to enjoy them for me. if someone else likes them that's nice, but I loose no sleep if they don't.
Please don't assume everyone is looking at top speed as the one and only factor in a performance car and why they would enjoy owning one.

Last edited by DanielXR8; 10-01-2015 at 01:27 PM.
3 users like this post:
Old 10-01-2015, 01:27 PM   #84
SensationFG8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Fair enough Daniel, but what separates these cars in those areas?

Safety, both 5*
Handling, on a road some say xr8 some say ss, probably depends what your after.
Tech, ss has a few more toys but the xr8 is no slouch.
Resale, I'd predict xr8 but who knows?
Cost of service both offer fixed price
After sales support, depends on your dealer, both have idiots in their dealer network.
Options, both are specced up
Finish quality, seen good and bad examples of both makes.

They're all kinda boring topics with minimal differentiation imo. The major difference is the engine and performance.

Current Rides
2 users like this post:
Old 10-01-2015, 01:31 PM   #85
bradles024

Build quality would have to go the Commodores way wouldn't it it's not the first review to say the xr8 already has dash rattles. Tech would also go their way just for the track mode esc and heads up display. And then engine is all fords way.
Old 10-01-2015, 01:31 PM   #86
Iggle Piggle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige View Post
and the offer is still open dude

drinking beer and talking cars is much more fun than arguing on computerz
Drinking beers and talking cars - anyone else able to get in on this action?

These comparison threads sure get some traction - maybe the other threads need better tyres as stock?
Old 10-01-2015, 01:39 PM   #87
40RDT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When is the SS due to get the LS3?
Old 10-01-2015, 01:40 PM   #88
GTP534
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Hell, even the Torana's win in '72 under the last year of series production rules isn't considered valid by Ford fans because the track was wet.

all of a sudden the criteria of what constitutes the best has changed to straight line speed to suit the Ford.

When you start shifting the goal posts to suit your argument you lose all credibility.
Here you make no distinction between Ford fans; to be honest I've never heard it mentioned about the wet track handing the race to the XU-1. This is a bit like Holden fans saying Moffatt only won in 1973 because Brock/Chivas ran 1 lap too long.

We could go on like this tit-for-tat and ping-ponging all day.

I remember the early 2000's when the Tickford Fords would always get done by the HSV's in straightline performance but the Ford was the better overall handling package; the HSV's won the comparos on the basis of horsepower as that's what the journos considered important.

Now we've come half-circle where the Ford holds the straightline performance edge and it's the Holden which has the overall package edge. Most journos now seem to consider this important over horsepower and straightline performance.

My point is that it is not a matter of changing goalposts; this happens naturally through improvement and evolution of the cars themselves.

As fans, of either marque, it's only natural we promote (defend?) the strong points of our respective brand.

I think you should have those beers with Potts, maybe he'll take you for a spin in his GT. (I reckon you've got the better of the deal!!)
Old 10-01-2015, 01:56 PM   #89
graphicgoose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40RDT View Post
When is the SS due to get the LS3?
MY16 apparently.
Old 10-01-2015, 02:04 PM   #90
skoobysGT

Is this the first official dyno for the XR8? Why is it so low? Thought all these Miami's were getting 300+ rwkw's?

Previous ride: 2011 FPV GT 335
Closed Thread