Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 09:14 PM   #61
VICFPV

Default Re: HULK FRIDAY: ARE GT prices set to tumble?

It will tumble as the mustang will replace it.
Old 10-10-2014, 09:20 PM   #62
SensationFG8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by richo77 View Post
I don't base my buying decisions on the opinions of primary school kids, do you?
You fail to get the point...
Sensation FG XR8 290kW NA V8, 6spd Automatic

Current Rides
Octane GTF SC V8, 6spd Manual, Manta 3" X pipes and hotdogs
Starlight Lotus Evora S 258kW SC V6, 6spd Manual
Old 10-10-2014, 09:21 PM   #63
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

OK ..... I'll bite.

I have an FG GT. I also don't care what it is worth because it isn't for sale. I like the new XR8. No I wont be buying one. Do I care what price people put on cars? No ..... None of my business. Do I hold the GT badge in high regard? Yes. Was a reason I bought the GT because it had a GT badge? Yes. Does my 5 yo grandson love "Pa's GT" ? YEP. Do I get excited when he gets excited about going for a drive in it? YEP. Do I care if anyone else likes it? NOPE.

Will it drop in price? Of course it bloody will. Its a car! Thats what they do!

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 10-10-2014, 09:25 PM   #64
bingoTE50
Steve

Saw a BF GT for under 20k this morning in a used car lot . Prices will drop if there is no demand and available product. If there is little product and matching demand, prices will be sustained. Basic economics really. In saying this sometimes dealers do not appreciate the vehicle they have in stock and sell it cheaply unknowingly. Think TL50 Series 3 that one of our members acquired at a Fairlane price . Sometimes we have a win..
Old 10-10-2014, 09:35 PM   #65
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

GT prices tumble daily. But so does every car till it's around 30 years old and most of it's siblings are dead. Then when you can't get parts any longer the prices start to go up.
Old 10-10-2014, 09:53 PM   #66
richo77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensationFG8 View Post
You fail to get the point...
So whats your point then? GT attracts more attention from people? Who really cares? I buy my cars based on what gives me the best bang for my budget.
Old 10-10-2014, 09:59 PM   #67
SensationFG8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by richo77 View Post
So whats your point then? GT attracts more attention from people? Who really cares? I buy my cars based on what gives me the best bang for my budget.
Nope, you definitely fail to get it and its doubtful any explanation will resolve that, good day.
Sensation FG XR8 290kW NA V8, 6spd Automatic

Current Rides
Octane GTF SC V8, 6spd Manual, Manta 3" X pipes and hotdogs
Starlight Lotus Evora S 258kW SC V6, 6spd Manual
4 users like this post:
Old 10-10-2014, 10:03 PM   #68
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

Rest it boys. Differing points of view. On with the thread, for what it's worth.

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
This user likes this post:
Old 10-10-2014, 10:26 PM   #69
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

I own a GTE. Cost a bomb. Worth less now than ever. It will continue to fall for some years before recovering. To be worth something one day perhaps. Who cares. It's an awesome car and like Dave I'm not planning on selling it.
Old 10-10-2014, 10:37 PM   #70
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTPete View Post
XR8 owners aspire to own GT Falcons.
GT Falcon owners typically dont aspire to own an XR8 new or old. GT prices will not be impacted by the XR8 to any great extent.
Not this one, sorry.
Old 10-10-2014, 10:39 PM   #71
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

There will be only around 1200 FG X XR8's built, so that in itself would hardly make a dent in GT prices.

Regardless of performance, shape and technology, a GT is a GT and no sane GT owner will replace their car with a lesser XR8. The FG X XR8 will only make a S/C 335 more accessible to those aspiring to owning a GT R Spec or GTF.
2 users like this post:
Old 10-10-2014, 10:41 PM   #72
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK_I6T View Post
Ford did it to the tickford ts50 buyers to a lesser degree.. Gimme $70k for a 250kw 5.6 litre, then next year release $45k xr6 turbo and 260kw xr8 for $50k, both cars run rings around the ts50.
Another carefully placed swipe at an AU to keep your thread fired up. Classic Hulk.
Old 10-10-2014, 10:44 PM   #73
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elks View Post
I own a GTE. Cost a bomb. Worth less now than ever. It will continue to fall for some years before recovering. To be worth something one day perhaps. Who cares. It's an awesome car and like Dave I'm not planning on selling it.
Most of us will be in another life before it's worth "something"...no need to talk about it because if we used a bit of logic no one would buy a new car.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
2 users like this post:
Old 10-10-2014, 11:24 PM   #74
elfinke

It's an interesting dynamic, for sure. I place no stock in either badge, and for that matter, have owned neither nor has anyone in my family in my lifetime. The olds have owned various collectible Holden's over the years, but even there I have no love of any particular badge.

That is, a badge in and of itself, has no intrinsic value to me.

At times, 'GT' has stood for not just performance above and beyond the norm, but also for all the nice things that are inside of one as standard relative to the norm. But this time around that's not the case: the FGX XR8 has more nice things on the inside (giving up just an engine start button?) and it gives up nothing on the performance side, either (in many ways it gains). To my mind, the FGX XR8 badge holds more water and greater value than any recent GT badge. I think that's an interesting dynamic that hasn't perpetuated quiet the same before.

If I were trawling carsales right now with $60k in my pocket there is no way I'd pick a second hand GT over a brand spanking new FGX XR8. Mind you, I'm wondering if I'm stark raving mad to be even considering spending $60k on one new car rather than a $40k second hand F6/new FGII XR6T and a cheaper run around!!

If I already had a GT in my driveway, it would be different: I'd have to really love SYNC2 to want to swap, and I can't imagine that is going to be the case for many!

Cars sure do funny things to your thinking processes!
Old 10-10-2014, 11:53 PM   #75
FG GeeTee

Don't think they will tumble but they will continue to fall as most cars do.

After the XR8 has come and gone, I think the prices of the 335 GT will hold up well.

I recall similar doomsday predictions for FG 315 GT's when the supercharged version was released but I still managed to get 60% of what I paid after 5 years of trouble free motoring.
Old 10-10-2014, 11:57 PM   #76
Full_Monty

I followed all of the coverage of the XR8 in the forums etc in the lead up to its launch. went first thing on saturday to see the car in the flesh.

Made up my mind there and then and bought a GT within the following week. (very low KMs, Campellfield built FPV and a lot less than 57k).

The XR8 feels like any other normal falcon inside, quite plain, didnt exude that special feeling to me. I was nice overall, but not enough to get me to part with an extra 13k over a very low km GT.

Last edited by Full_Monty; 11-10-2014 at 12:10 AM.
2 users like this post:
Old 11-10-2014, 12:56 AM   #77
FG50T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full_Monty View Post
I followed all of the coverage of the XR8 in the forums etc in the lead up to its launch. went first thing on saturday to see the car in the flesh.

Made up my mind there and then and bought a GT within the following week. (very low KMs, Campellfield built FPV and a lot less than 57k).

The XR8 feels like any other normal falcon inside, quite plain, didnt exude that special feeling to me. I was nice overall, but not enough to get me to part with an extra 13k over a very low km GT.
Not having a dig but aside from the push button start and the fpv sticker on the steering wheel the xr8 interior is a small step ahead.
Old 11-10-2014, 01:02 AM   #78
HULK_I6T
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full_Monty View Post

That's my point exactly.. You bought the GT for LESS than what the FGX xr8 will be priced at.. (What do you call low km mind you?)

My point is no one will pay MORE for a GT than the price of a FGX xr8

Actually the mustang might also cause GT prices to tumble.
Old 11-10-2014, 01:11 AM   #79
T4ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Anything under 5000kms is low kms ;)
Built BTR 4k TCE stall
FG inlet and exhaust manifolds
Old 11-10-2014, 01:16 AM   #80
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

GT will hold its value better then XR8... Sorry but a GT is a GT.
Old 11-10-2014, 01:40 AM   #81
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

A thread destined to go round in circles. There is no right answer there is only speculation.

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
Old 11-10-2014, 03:14 AM   #82
LoudPipes
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ego gtp View Post
My 2 cents worth . Some people buy cars for profit ,some buy for features and technology and some buy for pure enjoyment . The modern gt has the looks and the performance . The xr8 dosn't have the pure aggressive look of the gt . If you own one you will get it . If you plan on keeping one you own it doesn't really matter . I will be keeping both of mine as I enjoy them . Some people will never understand the passion . So you will always have discussions like this . Cheers Gary

Those people who buy cars for profit also like to watch grass grow.

Sure you’ll occasionally find a car that can hold its new price value from the get go but it will be very rare and something extremely special to start with.

Everything else will depreciate before it goes back up again, that is if it ever does.

I prefer GT’s but I would never gamble on buying one to make a profit just because the past dictates an XY GT is worth a motza when the future value of today’s cars will be at the mercy of buyers 3 or 4 generations from now and who knows what will be tickling their fancy by then.

The GT’s and the Holden equivalents for that matter may not even be as desirable as something that hasn’t occurred to today’s enthusiasts yet. That’s usually the way it works.

Stockpile enough of what everyone thinks will be the must have collector and sheer numbers will decrease the value and the want appeal.

The new cars of the future will be very different to what's available today.

The current GT’s and XR8 both have a lot going for them, buy the one that you like the best and get out and enjoy the driving experience now.

If they are ever worth anything and you are not too old to enjoy them by then, you will most likely end up in the same boat as we find ourselves today, talking about the one that got away.
Old 11-10-2014, 06:11 AM   #83
Juan Loco

Raise this issue and people immediately start banging on about the XR~XY GT's and GTHO's. But to me that is a stupid comparison.
Just because Ford/FPV stuck two letters on a car doesn't mean its the same.
The FPV era GT's have always depreciated fast, and I don't see that changing. Far too many built for them to be rare, and far too many owners happy to turn them over.
It's not as simple as saying that an owner of X trades up to Y, but people do trade up, and some never buy new but simply support the resale market (which is what this questions is about.)
The cessation of FPV and the mania around the GT-F has temporarily paused the slide in GT values, but the XR8 will tip it off again.

Of course the 5.4 GT's will be cheapest () but its a contiguous scale and ALL prices are interlinked. Just because you're not choosing between 5.4 FG & a 5.0 FG doesn't mean others aren't.

And here's another point.
Suppose FOrd's response to the Supercar Scare had been to say ok, we won't sell an XA GTHO, we'll build the same car and call it something else (eg an XR8) would that still not be desirable?

We've yet to see what the XR8 will feature, and how it will be sold.
If it indeed matches the GT for features, then clearly it will be comparable (and in many ways more desirable.)
On the other hand, if they only make 500 and milk customers like they did for the GT-ef, then GT prices could continue to ride high for a while yet.
Old 11-10-2014, 06:46 AM   #84
Juan Loco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan Loco View Post
We've yet to see what the XR8 will feature, and how it will be sold.
If it indeed matches the GT for features, then clearly it will be comparable (and in many ways more desirable.)
Let me rephrase that.
On paper the XR8 looks to be at least a match for and in many ways superior to the old GT. Say what you will about those two letters, for many people there is a direct comparison.
And it depends on final pricing.
If we see plenty of XR8's rolling out at list price or less, then GT prices will take a massive dive.
Old 11-10-2014, 06:47 AM   #85
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan Loco View Post
Raise this issue and people immediately start banging on about the XR~XY GT's and GTHO's. But to me that is a stupid comparison.
Just because Ford/FPV stuck two letters on a car doesn't mean its the same.
The FPV era GT's have always depreciated fast, and I don't see that changing. Far too many built for them to be rare, and far too many owners happy to turn them over.
XY GT 1557 build

BA GT around 1300 build

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

2 users like this post:
Old 11-10-2014, 08:02 AM   #86
GXA
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elks View Post
I'm in much the same boat. I'm hanging on to mine 'cos I enjoy driving it, and I don't see anything else that tempts. I'm not sweating on the value recovering any time soon.

The arrival of a new model may affect the resale price, but it doesn't make the old one drive any worse.

2008 FG GT-E - Lightning Strike
2007 BFII Fairmont Ghia - Seduce
2007 BFII Falcon ES - Ego
2 users like this post:
Old 11-10-2014, 08:44 AM   #87
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe View Post
XY GT 1557 build

BA GT around 1300 build
Where did you get 1300 BA GTs from?

The BA GT / GTP production number is over 3,000.
Old 11-10-2014, 12:58 PM   #88
Windsor220
Now Fordless

EB GT vs ED XR8 sprint. People only remember the GT
Old 11-10-2014, 02:43 PM   #89
GTPete
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
Where did you get 1300 BA GTs from?

The BA GT / GTP production number is over 3,000.

Keep in mind there were a few more Aussies around in 2006 then there were 1971 so its all relative.
Old 11-10-2014, 02:47 PM   #90
jimt3te50
My kids think I'm cool

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Jim has consistently for some time now shared his life, and his passions in his XY GT and more so his FG GT in a way so everyone here feels part of the journey, which helps make AFF such a worthwhile place to be.  An outstanding contributor in my book. 
Default HULK FRIDAY: ARE GT prices set to tumble?

There were also more GT's built back then than what there was in the FPV days

Edit- sorry didn't see the above, but backs it up
2018 Ford Ranger RAPTOR
2013 Audi SQ5
Closed Thread