Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-06-2014, 09:01 PM   #61
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

Default Re: What survivors have you seen lately?

I was thinking of a newer color for mine like lightning strike with black interior but I am drooling at that sandstone beige.....looks greyish and freaking awesome!!!!
Congrats to u on a great purchase and a great story of the trip back.
I drove mine from victor harbor to the barossa and she loved it after 18 months of laying idle in an old blokes shed that had green shade cloth as a door.
MercurySilver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2014, 03:20 PM   #62
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

Saw this beast today:

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 07-06-2014, 07:28 AM   #63
ozpacman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That looks like a beautiful XB. I had one in the mid 80's that was very similar spec apart from it being Copper Bronze with a Saddle interior.

I used to joke that she was only just a Fairmont because it was non-aircon, non power steer, manual windows and column auto, however it was a beautiful family car and took us on some great trips.

It's strange to think now, but we didn't seem to even think about those sorts of options as being anywhere near necessary back then!

Russ.
ozpacman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2014, 07:19 PM   #64
GCRXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozpacman View Post
That looks like a beautiful XB. I had one in the mid 80's that was very similar spec apart from it being Copper Bronze with a Saddle interior.

I used to joke that she was only just a Fairmont because it was non-aircon, non power steer, manual windows and column auto, however it was a beautiful family car and took us on some great trips.

It's strange to think now, but we didn't seem to even think about those sorts of options as being anywhere near necessary back then!

Russ.
You're right about the options. When I brought my XA 500 I thought she was a ripper .. a radio AND a cig lighter. Basic she was, but still a great car.
Old 08-06-2014, 11:37 AM   #65
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

mine has neither a radio OR a cig lighter
no options what so ever
MercurySilver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2014, 08:21 PM   #66
Morexbs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Today I was out Northcote/Preston way and in the space of less than 2 hours I saw an R or S series Valiant,an HR Holden,a mint XD s pack panel van,a 1960s Aston Martin,an XK-XP Falcon ute and a Toyota Crown.Astonishing.
Old 12-06-2014, 08:33 PM   #67
Morexbs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And a mid 70s Valiant sedan.Brown with a vinyl roof of course...
Old 18-06-2014, 09:22 PM   #68
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Saw an XB GS sedan earlier today. Red and manual ; still had original paint, number plates and owner(?)

I gonna be that guy in 40 years when im still cruising in the FH XR8
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2014, 01:51 PM   #69
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

I saw this last week, obviously restored rather than survivor, and I don't actually know what it is. I'd guess that it is around the 1904-1908 period, and it might be a Talbot but who really knows.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Vintage car.jpg (65.4 KB, 111 views)
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-06-2014, 01:57 PM   #70
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

Spotted a dark purple/plum painted XB or XC in Melbourne's inner west yesterday and a gold XC with brown vinyl roof today. Then there was an F-150 with a rear bed longer than my Fairlane!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Old 19-06-2014, 02:48 PM   #71
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

How's this for a survivor? Made my XB seem modern.

XBROO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 19-06-2014, 10:45 PM   #72
ozpacman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

'27 Chevrolet tourer. For a time in the late 80's I drove one as my only car. My brother has it now so she's still in the family.

Russ
Old 20-06-2014, 03:31 PM   #73
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBROO View Post
How's this for a survivor? Made my XB seem modern.
Is such a vehicle even registerable and roadworthy? Would be about as advanced as a ride on mower . Wonder what it's top speed is.
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2014, 03:49 PM   #74
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

Very slow, I had to follow it to the church as it was a wedding, the hardtop only just got into 3rd and that's with 4:11s . Lucky it was only a few blocks away, at least it was a ford. The only new things on it was the roof and a starter motor up grade, because it's meant to be a crank start.
XBROO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2014, 01:25 PM   #75
Dauphin
Irregular member

Spotted this on Google Maps recently. Wonder why they blur out the wheels.

Old 06-08-2014, 02:16 PM   #76
BJB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Due to the logo on the hub caps perhaps
Old 06-08-2014, 05:32 PM   #77
HK1837

I see a Survivor every day in my shed.

A 12/74 HJ Holden Premier. 108,000kM from new (had 99,000kM on it in 1999 by the pink slip in the glovebox). Still has about 90% original paint (bonnet re-done). Customer ordered car with just about every option box ticked:

TH400
LSD
6" rims
Bucket seats
Console shift
Power steer
A/C
Power windows
Heated rear window
Metallic paint
U17 instruments (commonly called GTS dash)
Power antenna
Dealer fitted radio cassette.
Dealer fitted Selby front and rear swaybars.

About the only major available options not ticked were:

Sunshine roof (sliding steel sunroof).
Dual exhaust.
PE1 14x7 Polycast rims (as you see on the HX LE except silver).
Cloth trim inserts (rare to find on integrated A/C cars).

Not much has been changed over the years. Basically shocks, tyres, master cyl (have an original for it). I pulled the TH400 out to replace a welch plug at the back, none of it had ever been out. Original owner put a Holley on it but I have the proper Quadrajet and aircleaner for it.
HK1837 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 06-08-2014, 05:39 PM   #78
Dauphin
Irregular member

I didn't know you could get those rims on an HJ, or a "regular" HX for that matter. I've never noticed any before.

Old 06-08-2014, 07:55 PM   #79
HK1837

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauphin View Post
I didn't know you could get those rims on an HJ, or a "regular" HX for that matter. I've never noticed any before.
They were introduced late in 1974, appear in the HJ ordering documents as optional from Jan '75, but only on Belmont, Kingswood, GTS and Premier sedans and on GTS and LS coupes. Not sure about Deville and Caprice though as I don't have that order procedure.
They weren't a common option, rarely seen outside of HX-HZ GTS or on HX LE where they were standard except in gold. A set did appear on the HQ Premier sedan SS prototype, then they were later to appear on the HQ 350Z and left GMH on the Ewe't.

Here is my Premier.

Last edited by HK1837; 20-08-2014 at 11:57 AM.
7 users like this post:
Old 06-08-2014, 08:08 PM   #80
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

That’s a great example of an old classic HK1837.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2014, 08:21 PM   #81
HK1837

I knew the car from when I was a kid, it lived across the road from the house behind where I grew up (parallel street behind). The house behind me had a HX LE and I remember seeing the fronts of the two cars and recognising them as the same. It turned up at a local wreckers, owner had a stroke and his wife sent the car to the auctions. Wrecker didn't buy it to wreck but if someone had paid hime $2500 for the doors he would have, panels are that good he'd have got it too. Walk off front is probably worth similar as car is 100% rust free, and I don't say that lightly - it has NEVER had rust, never been painted. Rustproofed from new and garaged all its life.
So I made an offer he couldn't refuse! I only bought it though due to the options on the car, if it was a 6cyl or a 4.2L I wouldn't have bothered.
Old 06-08-2014, 09:40 PM   #82
ozpacman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBROO View Post
Very slow, I had to follow it to the church as it was a wedding, the hardtop only just got into 3rd and that's with 4:11s . Lucky it was only a few blocks away, at least it was a ford. The only new things on it was the roof and a starter motor up grade, because it's meant to be a crank start.
She's no Ford sorry XBROO! That's a '27 Chev Tourer. They actually came with a 'self starter' however there is provision for a crank start below the radiator. The crank handle is stored under the rear seat cushion.

Russ.
Old 09-08-2014, 07:59 PM   #83
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

I saw Katie Gold the the day.

"Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die, tragedy is when I get a paper cut"
nuthin' fancy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2014, 08:31 PM   #84
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarrge2001 View Post
Interesting trip.

No nasty surprises when I picked it up which was good except for it had had a new see belt fitted for the roadworthy which had jammed so the owner pulled it apart and left me with a non retractable belt. I am somewhat slimmer than Jabba the Hut so it wasn't much use so the first hour was spent fixing that. And then off I went.

Melbourne peak hour with 1970's brakes. Hmmmm. Did I mention that it's got a Ford disc brake rear end? It didn't help....... Or, God forbid, maybe it did.

For those that weren't around then, let's just say there have been major advances in braking since the 70's, which every car that stopped in front of me possessed.

Anyway, safely through the peak hour and off to the open road.

The open highway with 1970's steering. Hmmmmm..... Similar advances in steering since then kiddies.

Miles per hour vs km per hour.I'm old enough to remember the conversion except....... Remember the aforementioned Ford rear end? Yup..... Different diff ratio....... And I'm in Victoria, the speed camera low tolerance capital of the world.

So, GPS on the phone, to work out what speed is what on the dial.
(For those playing at home)
40 = 30
50 = 35
60 = 43
80 = 57
100 = 72
110 = 80mph

Ararat.....stop for food. Hmmm....... Should have brought CD..... I know, I'll buy one at the servo....... Awesome, country AND western......... Hmmm...... Looks like no music.

Jump back in the car....... Click, click, click. Uh oh........and its got a new battery.

Stood there looking under the bonnet for a couple of minutes until a voice said "need a hand there mate?" We discussed a jump start and he obliged "don't see many of these round any more" and off I went...... Straight to the auto elecriciasn for a diagnosis of an intermittent external regulator which of course nobody carries anymore. So armed with that information and how to keep an eye on it, I set off again.

I have to say that the 360 drinks fuel at an alarming rate but....... Who cares!

Anyway, the old girl ate up the miles. But then it got dark. And the lights came on. Sort of. And got dimmer and dimmer until Meadows when I thought I would pull over and have a look at the regulator again. But then the revs dropped and the old girl gave up the ghost again. Battery very flat.

So as I say there contemplating my navel again, another voice from the dark "do you need a hand mate". Another request for a jump start, another " you don't see many of these around " and I was on my way

And so here I sit. The car's booked on the train tomorrow and I'm booked on Qantas and the old girl will be in Darwin come Friday night.

To the two guys that lent me those electrons..... Cheers. Couldn't have done it without your help.

To the owner in Tassie who brought the car to Melbourne for me, generally bent over backwards and didn't lie about the car....... Cheers

To Qantas, who when my flights were delayed over the weekend,, helped me get to Melbourne and changed my flights back at no charge....... Cheers. Absolutely superb service and I will be writing to Qantas to tell them so.

To jetstar who, when my flight was cancelled with Qantas on Saturday assured me that their Darwin flights were unaffected, who took my booking and my money only to cancel the flight 2 hours later and tell me I couldn't have a refund because it's not their policy but if I wrote a letter of complaint someone would (probably) contract me within 15 working days....... Up yours. You haven't heard the last of me yet!!!!!

And to the workers at the Chrysler factory in September 1972, congratulations. You should be proud of the cars you built.
How's the 360 coping with the waxy tropical fuel?

"Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die, tragedy is when I get a paper cut"
nuthin' fancy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2014, 07:25 PM   #85
last fairlane
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hey XBROO have you been hanging out at Purga
John
last fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2014, 06:58 PM   #86
ZGM86

That old Premy is gorgeous, HK1837. Good on you for saving it.
1978 TE Cortina GL wagon
1955 FJ Holden Special

Car History: 1974 ZG Fairlane 500, 1973 ZG Fairlane 500, 07 SY Territory TX, 1975 Ford F100, 2001 AU2 Falcon XR8 220, 2005 BA RTV, 1997 EL Falcon XR6, 1981 WB Holden pano, 1990 DA LTD, 1992 EB Falcon GLi wagon, 1984 XF Falcon GL wagon, 1976 TD Cortina XL wagon, 1974 TC Cortina XL sedan
ZGM86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2014, 06:05 PM   #87
Dauphin
Irregular member

Pulled up next to this the other day:

Thought I'd put this up too. Saw this coming into a car park and did a double-take because I initially thought it was an FG with those style of decals.

Old 09-10-2014, 06:10 PM   #88
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

So what's classified as a survivor? Just unrestored?

If so I'm seriously thinking about turning the alfa into a daily,no touching the body work which is neat enough but needs a resto. But..fully reco'ing the mechanicals so that side of it is shmicko....
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2014, 08:15 PM   #89
Mesa
Donating Member
Donating Member2

We just got a new neighbor at the top of street this week. Drove past yesterday and noticed he owns a very nice Black XB coupe.
Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2014, 01:56 PM   #90
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

There's a bricky in Gippsland I sometimes pass, has a beaten up V8 XY with faded paint (& faded signwriting on the doors). He's usually towing a trailer loaded with bricks/concreting material/mixer. Will upload a pic the next time I pass him.
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post