The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 28-12-2013, 05:15 PM   #61
GTpilot
FG GT 5.4 w/ additions!

Default Re: FG FPV GT Rspec vs VF HSV GTS by MOTOR Mag

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBGTFGGTP View Post
Imagine how the Dunflops would be after one lap on a tight short track driving fast, absolutely useless. Also if the GT was only a 4 pot frt car, it would be like a standard XR6 compared to the GTS in braking.
If it's the same press car I've driven a few times (#35 IIRC. Rego ZFQ421), that thing is now 18mths old, been through every press agency in the country, mostly more than once, had several sets of tires flogged out, a few new diffs (one after Moron mags last efforts blew it to bits). It also has the 6/4 Brembo upgrade.
Old 28-12-2013, 05:17 PM   #62
HULK_I6T
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeked View Post
I hope all the old timers who didnt want a HO are happy, last chance and Ford rolled over with the rest of you. Holden won, game over, there will never be another chance, they built the greatest Aussie car ever, and Ford didn't even try.

Bathurst...blah blah...racing pedigree....blah blah.....I just want to be able to buy a factory developed car that gets form a to b quickly. The GTS man will be on his second latte when I finish in an RSpec. Unsless the road is straight and has no corners.

Really disappointed with Ford/FPV
Who knows, maybe ford/fpv are planning one last punch? All they need to do is tune the GT/f6, throw some big tyres at them and they have a GTS beater

Even Call it a GTHO, I'd rather a HO than no HO (even if it isn't the worlds best car as the old timers would expect).
Old 28-12-2013, 05:30 PM   #63
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40RDT View Post
Where are you getting $1000 a tyre from? They are about $400 a tyre from tirerack.com
Try an Australian retailer? Because thats where most people buy their tyres last time I looked.
Doesnt list the exact size HSV run, but 20" ones are $850-900+

http://www.tyresales.com.au/tyres/Co...PORTCONTACT_5P
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
3 users like this post:
Old 28-12-2013, 05:39 PM   #64
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Oh and tirerack.com dont even list the Continental tyres HSV run, 255/35/20 or 275/35/20
So it sounds like they run a unique size in that type.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
Old 28-12-2013, 06:01 PM   #65
40RDT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin View Post
Try an Australian retailer? Because thats where most people buy their tyres last time I looked.
Doesnt list the exact size HSV run, but 20" ones are $850-900+

http://www.tyresales.com.au/tyres/Co...PORTCONTACT_5P
Only a fool would buy prestige tyres from an oz retailer with prices like those when you can get them from the US for under half of that
Old 28-12-2013, 06:06 PM   #66
strik9
aka fpv747

Quote:
Originally Posted by f6_benito View Post
Who knows, maybe ford/fpv are planning one last punch? All they need to do is tune the GT/f6, throw some big tyres at them and they have a GTS beater

Even Call it a GTHO, I'd rather a HO than no HO (even if it isn't the worlds best car as the old timers would expect).
think you may be the last guy on this forum to try to keep the dream alive mate. its already confirmed it ain,t happening.

fpv say the gt chassis can,t handle anymore power. sept the tonnes of them that are running 380rwkw without issue

Last edited by strik9; 28-12-2013 at 06:16 PM.
Old 28-12-2013, 06:29 PM   #67
Rodge
Banned

HSV admitted that the Continental Sport Contact 5p's were 1.5 seconds quicker than other tyres they tested in their development programme, (not sure if they tested other quality brands such as Michelin Pilot Super Sports or Goodyear F1 Asymmetric 2's), or if their time advantage was benchmarked off their previously specified Bridgestone's but there's no doubt that top rubber helps a bit.

That said FPV had their chance to fit better rubber and brakes and took the low cost option...
This user likes this post:
Old 28-12-2013, 06:34 PM   #68
strik9
aka fpv747

they need to change from potenza. i made a huge mistake put them on the back of the f6 a month ago. horrible soft tyre wall. grip is average.

who wants to wobble through corners. doesnt surprise me there alot faster. i nearly want to fry them out just to get from decent ones back on.

i,m still disappointed that the gts only makes 350rwkw with a tune compared too the 380rwkw that a gt makes with a tune.

i,m new car shopping in a month and that was the nail in the coffin for me not to go with a gts, decided to go the gtr road maybe 2012 model. with someone whos spent all the coin on willall gear .

Last edited by strik9; 28-12-2013 at 06:44 PM.
Old 28-12-2013, 06:42 PM   #69
graham_h
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
You must be the only person who believes that number...
Obviously not.....
But it's hardly apples to apples comparison is it ?
Why not put a viper against a focus then say how slow and crap the focus is ?
Old 28-12-2013, 06:47 PM   #70
strik9
aka fpv747

would be a cratter to see if gt was tuned for 430 kw with the same nm and what would come of that.

hsv would be quicker with its driveline and brakes. but wouldnt be bugger all . now that would be nearly worth it. like i mentioned earlier just ***** me when they do these comparisons like gts vs the amg merc. like its double the price.
Old 28-12-2013, 06:58 PM   #71
1TUFFUTE
Banned

It ****** me that we here (never the magazines) are smart enough to comment on the reality of comparing these two cars. Not only on their price difference which leads to better performance upgrades, but also the fact that ford has been far more responsible with their descissions as a company here in Australia.
In what world does a company loosing money hand over fist, causing them to shut down.....make the best Australian performance car for the price in the world.
Perhaps one of the reasons WHY they are folding
Old 28-12-2013, 07:07 PM   #72
Rodge
Banned

Say what you like about the way Holden and HSV did business but at least they went down fighting...

GTS just beat a M Benz E 63 in the Wheels track comparison a little while back and has just beaten a BMW M6 in a comparison run by a different magazine. No question this car has genuine credibility.

Last edited by Rodge; 28-12-2013 at 07:14 PM.
2 users like this post:
Old 28-12-2013, 07:13 PM   #73
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

To make it fair if you had 20k to spend on the Falcon, to even up the contest price wise, what would you spend it on and do you think you would beat the HSV?
Old 28-12-2013, 07:17 PM   #74
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by graham_h View Post
Obviously not.....
But it's hardly apples to apples comparison is it ?
Why not put a viper against a focus then say how slow and crap the focus is ?
It may be bordering on apples and oranges given the price difference, but at the end of the day, they are the hero models of direct competitors. Your analogy of viper and focus is more like apples and sardines.
5 users like this post:
Old 28-12-2013, 07:20 PM   #75
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodge View Post
Say what you like about the way Holden and HSV did business but at least they went down fighting...

GTS just beat a M Benz E 63 in the Wheels track comparison a little while back and has just beaten a BMW M6 in a comparison run by a different magazine. No question this car has genuine cred.
No question of its credibility, as I commented rodge.....but maybe if ford followed the famed GM buissiness model of throwing money at things despite the landscape and foreseeable future......then maybe we'd have a 100k super sedan of our own.
It's nice as a customer to be able to buy a great car......not much use if that same company goes down lieing scamming and blackmailing(or going down fighting as you put it)
No doubt it's an amazing car tho.
Personally....I don't just buy a car......I'm proud of the badge, the brand and the performance. Maybe it's just me.
Old 28-12-2013, 07:39 PM   #76
Rodge
Banned

I think almost all of us would agree its a crying shame FPV wern't given a bit more latitude and funding.

Ford not having to take U.S. Govt bailout money because Ford ran a tighter ship...mate, frankly, tell someone who cares...just my opinion but I think people claiming they're more proud of the brand because of that are clutching at straws because Ford's tight arsed approach is exactly why FPV were never given the funding they really needed and had to constantly short-spec their cars and why the brand is going down the toilet so soon.

We are the losers from Ford's tight arsed approach and that's exactly why Ford are stopping production of the Falcon too. Ford never invested enough in the Falcon and short changed it on critical up to date technology and we should be proud of the brand because of that, WTF ?

At least Holden tried harder.
7 users like this post:
Old 28-12-2013, 07:59 PM   #77
Danny
GT4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40RDT View Post
Where are you getting $1000 a tyre from? They are about $400 a tyre from tirerack.com
True, but aussie retailers are asking anywhere in excess of $850 for them. They come stock on the RS250 Megane, but I went for Michy Pilot Super Sport. A bit cheaper, better wearing and a much better tyre than the Comti5P which lasted me only 15,000km
Old 28-12-2013, 08:12 PM   #78
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodge View Post
I think almost all of us would agree its a crying shame FPV wern't given a bit more latitude and funding.

Ford not having to take U.S. Govt bailout money because Ford ran a tighter ship...mate, frankly, tell someone who cares...just my opinion but I think people claiming they're more proud of the brand because of that are clutching at straws because Ford's tight arsed approach is exactly why FPV were never given the funding they really needed and had to constantly short-spec their cars and why the brand is going down the toilet so soon.

We are the losers from Ford's tight arsed approach and that's exactly why Ford are stopping production of the Falcon too. Ford never invested enough in the Falcon and short changed it on critical up to date technology and we should be proud of the brand because of that, WTF ?

At least Holden tried harder.
Your spinning in circles rodge......just a few years ago our performance sedans were the best in the world for their price. As soon as WE stopped buying them....how is it fords problem that they couldn't continue to sink money into models now in niche territory. Although it sucks they made the correct descision to quit while ahead. I CANT BELIEVE ANYONE can be proud of the way Holden has handled their exit. Just because they bring ONE model that will sell a handfull, that excuses them and dams ford. WTF yourself mate!no offense, just trying to be real.
Old 28-12-2013, 08:14 PM   #79
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHDOGS View Post
Lmao I always love it when the rules change to suit Holden
This time though, it wouldn't matter. Other than price, the GTS wins in virtually every other way.
Old 28-12-2013, 08:18 PM   #80
dragons90

It must just be some sizes because I got my 295/30r19 5p for $440 in Australia.
Old 28-12-2013, 09:05 PM   #81
graham_h
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Old 28-12-2013, 09:44 PM   #82
BHDOGS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
This time though, it wouldn't matter. Other than price, the GTS wins in virtually every other way.
you also forget it fails on looks if driving around in a bucket covered in dog **** that someone saw then vomited into the **** bucket in disgust that would be a gts
2 users like this post:
Old 28-12-2013, 09:54 PM   #83
Chopped
as in chopped

> This thread needs moderating <
Old 28-12-2013, 10:36 PM   #84
ford man xf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's pretty amusing though, considering the XR8 next year will be reborn with the same spec engine as the FG GT, could you imagine being a HSV owner forking out all that money on a brand new GTS, then pulling up to the lights next to a FH XR8 and then sitting side by side all the way to 100 and beyond
Even more embarrasing would be the lower spec variants of the VF in HSV's stable getting whopped by a factory XR8.
It's pretty amusing though, considering the XR8 next year will be reborn with the same spec engine as the FG GT, could you imagine being a HSV owner forking out all that money on a brand new GTS, then pulling up to the lights next to a FH XR8 and then sitting side by side all the way to 100 and beyond
Even more embarrasing would be the lower spec variants of the VF in HSV's stable getting whopped by a factory XR8.
6 users like this post:
Old 29-12-2013, 12:14 AM   #85
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Personally I could not give a stuff which of these two cars is the fastest to 100km/h and beyond. Both are more than fast enough for day to day driving and the occasional track day. Anyway, If so many of you think performance is the only reason for a fast car than why are you looking at a HSV of FPV anyway? Grow up and realise there is more to a car than bragging rights and how fast it accelerates.
But in this company, the HSV kills the FPV in every dept. Ride, NVH, Interior and Trim, build quality, features, handling and the list goes on. One expects Ford supporters (on a Ford Forum) to bag the opposition but some of you are making yourself look stupid with your trolling on the Holden product. Overall it is better and it wont hurt some of you to admit it.

Old 29-12-2013, 01:13 AM   #86
Tough Ford

Well next year when the Mustang arrives the gts will be yesterday's news. I'm sure it will at least match or beat hsv's offering. Sure it has less weight but less power, and only two doors but when it comes time to mod it I'm confident it will blow it to shreads, even a modified gts.
Undeniably hsv has the best oz car atm but Im yet to see a single gts auto under 100k only manuals. I'm no pretender but some of you must understand we defend our Ford's as we are passionate about our cars, but some of you here are are a bunch of turncoats and carry on like spoilt brats because hsv finally has something decent to offer and want to get on the bandwagon. If Ford US appreciated our Aussie engineers we'd see 5.8 Litre in a proper prepared FG that can take the abuse of such power and would be mutilating anything hsv can offer.
I can't deny I saw a one of those orange looking clubsports and I thought it looks ok but I just dont want one. My XB will do me as a weekender, and then when the Mustang arrives I'll have two to choose from one modern and a classic muscle car, how sweet.

Cleveland goodness wrapped in a FORD shell
2 users like this post:
Old 29-12-2013, 01:36 AM   #87
dl86
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin View Post
Oh and tirerack.com dont even list the Continental tyres HSV run, 255/35/20 or 275/35/20
So it sounds like they run a unique size in that type.
They are specially made for the HSV GTS.

http://www.motoring.com.au/news/2013...tinental-36767
FG MKII GT ZF, 444.8rwkw, 61mm YT snout, 1000cc injectors, 460lph fuel pump, big kpm intercooler, shockworks w/12kg front springs, SSR GTX01 18X9.5" +22 F/R, nizpro input shaft, 1pce 4" AL tailshaft, poly bushings all round, trutrac, headerback exhaust 3", whiteline sway bars, IMS diff hat, herrod spark booster, Alpine R type speakers/Alpine R type 2x12" ported subs/Pioneer GM-D9601/8604 amps and other bits
Old 29-12-2013, 01:41 AM   #88
patrickian11
Starter Motor

Don't think its turncoat or carrying on, its giving credit where credit is due, or is that something thats no longer applied?
Old 29-12-2013, 02:40 AM   #89
BHDOGS
Banned

correct it doesnt apply here this is a ford forum i know theres some here who arnt ford fans but car fans and they can suck up to any car maker there little hearts desires but for us ford fans **** holden

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p...lamewarrh8.gif
4 users like this post:
Old 29-12-2013, 06:39 AM   #90
responsef6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Disgraceful article by Morley, got no problem him giving props to gts but to completely bag out a car that is 20k cheaper, A generation older and does mid 4 second 0-100 and mid 12s, almost the same times as the gts . He should have some pride in what FPV achieved for the money... Which smashes the newer gen hsv r8 around the same price point

Also to david morley and everyone here carrying on about the fact gts did so much better times at the racetrack... When do we all race these cars weekly? Monthly?
They are 5 seat gt cars built for our roads, the fact they are quickish around race tracks is great, but isn't where they were designed to be used. City roads and curvy country roads is where we all spend our time in these cars, that is what's most important...how it feels on the roads. Even on spirited country runs, when do you apply max brake pressure every 10 seconds like at a track ...you don't! When do you take corners on public roads at 1g... You don't. What most of us use most of the time is the acceleration, and in this our turbo fords and fpvs f6 and gt have run rings around the opposition at every price level, for a decade! Hsv launch one last high priced hurrah that trumps the 6 year old fpv last gen chassis at a track and half you supposed ford fans start carrying on like ford and FPV are crap... Get over yourselves and have some brand loyalty ffs