Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-08-2013, 04:24 PM   #61
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Default Re: What's the most practical supercar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwish View Post
Lol @ R35 gtrs being a supercar.
The car with absolutely no soul. A dummy driver can cut a fast lap in one
Waiting for your supercar that is better. Dans owned a GTR, numerous high power fords, etc. I think he's qualified to tell you the GTR is a supercar.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 10-08-2013, 04:32 PM   #62
Uwish

So little niche kit cars that can do that too are supercars??
Aventador is one and a GTR does not come close to one.
Other than its 0-100 sprint. People that buy supercars give no ****s for gtrs
Uwish is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2013, 04:59 PM   #63
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT600 View Post
If you do 10,000kms per year its $1500 per year to service, front rotors and pads can be had for $2,000 for the whole lot and thats quality AP racing stuff no different to fitting genuine Brembo 2-piece rotors on my Falcon.

That GTR is expensive to run is a massive misrepresentation of the truth... a GTR is expensive to run IF YOU TAKE IT TO THE RACETRACK FOR 20+ HARD LAPS other than that by the time you factor in the 15-20% better fuel economy they get over a GT 335 driven the same way there is about $300-350 per year less fuel (based on 10,000kms driven) so you are lucky to be $500 a year worse off on operating costs, maybe $1000-1200 all-up once you allow the extra for insurance.

Daniel
Yes, I was also thinking of the brakes /tyres etc in my 'running costs' but like most things if you know where to look you will find comparable replacements at a reasonable price.

I also factored in Insurance. When the GTR was first released a guy in the UK I think had a very minor prang with hardly any visible damage and the bill came to 1/4 or 1/3rd of the car. I think Nissan went into damage control when it went viral after all the fear mongering that was going around.

Don't get me wrong... I was behind the wheel of a GTR, Lambo, a few Porsches and a Ferrari during an all day Supercar cruise and it won hands down.

My pick, if I had a heap of funds would be the GTR. If I was on a budget it would be the Exige, the lower price would be compensation for the impracticalities.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2013, 05:22 PM   #64
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireblade View Post
So a car that does 0-100 in less than 3 seconds is not a supercar there isn't enough laughing emoticons for those ridiculous comments.
Being able to do 0 to a hundred super quick is good, but......... being practical I reckon some of the criteria is being in luxury as well and have a top speed over 200 mph, while a lot of these cars are capable, I would not like to be using them as dailys on our dodgy roads.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2013, 06:26 PM   #65
CAT600
I miss my wheelbarrow
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out fellow AFF members... Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Daniels knowledge of modular engines and superchargers is extremely valuable to the AFF community. I have learnt quite a bit just reading his build threads. His contributions are often utilised by other members. 

Quote:
So little niche kit cars that can do that too are supercars??
Aventador is one and a GTR does not come close to one.
Other than its 0-100 sprint. People that buy supercars give no ****s for gtrs
Mate you have absolutley no idea and have read way to many magazines.... I purposely never drove one for 4 years from release in Aus because I thought the same thing.. it wasnt till I drove one that I liked it.

It wasnt till I owned one that I LOVED it.

Those that say the car is souless and a dummy can cut a fast lap do not understand the car... yes its something that can cut a fast time being pushed 8/10th but if you actually push the car to its limits you are left absolutley AWESTRUCK of what it can do.. lifting a rear tire on corner entry then accelerating out of the bend flicking through the gears with the "R" setting still cutting power is not something many people have the balls to do in one of them but for those that do you will understand and bond with this car unlike any other.

The Current GTR is quicker around the 'Ring than the Aventador so it doesnt come close it goes past hahaha http://nurburgringlaptimes.com/lap-t...times-top-100/

My mate Tino ownes a 360 Challange Stradale.. a racecar for the road and kerbside appeal (badge appeal) aside there is no comparison, especially as a PRACTICAL SUPERCAR

If you got your head out of the clouds you would see that like the Ford GT... lowly manufacturers like Ford and Nissan can build supercars as good or better than the "experts"

Daniel

Last edited by AU1XLS; 10-08-2013 at 08:00 PM.
CAT600 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 10-08-2013, 06:42 PM   #66
ZH For Me
Suckin Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
I initially thought you were crackers when I saw the Bentley Continental bit in the link, but decided to have a look anyway. You sir, have actually found a new-era Bentley that I actually like, and that's saying something. I can appreciate that Bentley is an exclusive brand, but the modern ones just don't do anything for me - Looks wise, anyway. 0-100 in 4.5 from a 2.3 tonne barge ain't nothing to sneeze at either.

Good spotting Mik!
ZH For Me is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2013, 07:50 PM   #67
Uwish

Quote:
Mate you have absolutley no idea and have read way to many magazines.... I purposely never drove one for 4 years from release in Aus because I thought the same thing.. it wasnt till I drove one that I liked it.

It wasnt till I owned one that I LOVED it.

Those that say the car is souless and a dummy can cut a fast lap do not understand the car... yes its something that can cut a fast time being pushed 8/10th but if you actually push the car to its limits you are left absolutley AWESTRUCK of what it can do.. lifting a rear tire on corner entry then accelerating out of the bend flicking through the gears with the "R" setting still cutting power is not something many people have the balls to do in one of them but for those that do you will understand and bond with this car unlike any other.

The Current GTR is quicker around the 'Ring than the Aventador so it doesnt come close it goes past hahaha http://nurburgringlaptimes.com/lap-t...times-top-100/

My mate Tino ownes a 360 Challange Stradale.. a racecar for the road and kerbside appeal (badge appeal) aside there is no comparison, especially as a PRACTICAL SUPERCAR

If you got your head out of your *** you would see that like the Ford GT... lowly manufacturers like Ford and Nissan can build supercars as good or better than the "experts"

Daniel
Daniel, I know Tino aas well.! ( small world )
I don't need to read a mag to know about a GTR. I am struggling not to buy one. ( as I love fast cars ) I just don't think it is in the same league. There is more to cars than a Ring time. The gtr is an animal.. but has NO presence.

It is like saying a HSV GTS and Ford GT-Rspec are in the same league as teh M5 / E63 ect ect.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:53 PM   #68
Uwish

I would also take the LP640 any day over a R35 GTR, even though the GTR eats it in every way. Except looks / noise / presence and driver involvement.
same car btw

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 10-08-2013, 07:55 PM   #69
RULE303

I am finding this very entertaining hahaha.

HIS: BF GT KWICK 8

HERS: FG F6 KWICK 6
RULE303 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2013, 08:17 PM   #70
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2013, 08:19 PM   #71
CAT600
I miss my wheelbarrow
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out fellow AFF members... Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Daniels knowledge of modular engines and superchargers is extremely valuable to the AFF community. I have learnt quite a bit just reading his build threads. His contributions are often utilised by other members. 

Quote:
Daniel, I know Tino aas well.! ( small world )
I don't need to read a mag to know about a GTR. I am struggling not to buy one. ( as I love fast cars ) I just don't think it is in the same league. There is more to cars than a Ring time. The gtr is an animal.. but has NO presence.

It is like saying a HSV GTS and Ford GT-Rspec are in the same league as teh M5 / E63 ect ect.
You seem to have mistaken the words "boutique" and "exotic" for "super"

If you think that price or exclusivity maketh the "supercar" then you will either dream forever with no "supercar" or die poor with one (unless you are rich then you will probably just die lonely )

You carry no credibility, on one hand you say its ugly/just a Nissan call it slow compared to an Aventador and not in Supercar category (none of which is true had you driven one) then 2 minutes later you are "STRUGGLING NOT TO BUY ONE".... nobody buys that kind of BS.

Keep banging on either way your only wasting your own time... if you like fast cars and the Nissan is too "Nissan" for you, start looking into a 2004 Gallardo 6 speed manual, they import from Europe factory RHD for about 130-150K Aussie fully complianced then come back in here after 12 months of ownership and stick your 2-bobs worth in again, until then as you said, your just struggling.

Daniel
4 users like this post:
Old 10-08-2013, 08:25 PM   #72
RULE303

maybe I should change the title to: What's the most practical supercar, but not the gtr because it has no soul.

4 users like this post:
Old 10-08-2013, 08:31 PM   #73
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Well good thing its ok for everyone to have an opinion..LOL

I personally dont like the GTR but I tip my hat to its stats, it performs no worries. And before some jump up and down (god its hard to even have a straight opinion about a Falcon around here) yes I have been in a GTR, actually around Simmons Plains on a Targa sponsors day. It happened to be the first in the country at the time, the Donut King car.

Now, if I wanted an everyday Supercar then yes a 911 of any type really would be the go, it has passion and purpose and have a look at all the old 911's getting about, they are pretty reliable.

The GTR is a weapon, and if money was no object then I still wouldnt choose it because no offense Dan but its a bit stale. Its too good, you can say the same for just about every other Audi. There is no fuss, no moments, just business.

So if thats what you wan then great, awesome actually, but Id take the car that has more passionate styling and soul. But thats just me, ill still nod my head to a GTR but it doesnt take my breath away like Lambo, Porsche et al.

Id take a Porsche GT2 because it would free me of marriage. Thats a joke hun
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2013, 09:10 PM   #74
Rodge
Banned

http://autocarcars.com/aston-martin/...-and-pictures/

If you're going to outlay serious coin on a supercar you might as well have the most beautiful one in the world. Yes there are quicker cars but just look at the new Vanquish and you'll want to drive it all day so if it takes you a fraction of a second longer to get to 100 k.p.h. who would care one iota driving a car this sensational and stylish
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2013, 09:14 PM   #75
SantoAU
Defender of the faith

Practicality comes down to how you're going to use the car. For me, with missus and kids, it's an E60 M5.

Four doors, a boot, and THAT V10. It may not be hyper like Dan's GTR, but I'd happily be balls out sideways on the track and then carry the shopping home

They just get reinvented.

SantoAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2013, 09:18 PM   #76
Fireblade
Wizard Member

Time to change the thread title from most practical supercar to what supercar has the most presence or what is a supercar.

Can't beat one of these for presence, might as well go off topic with everyone else.

Fireblade is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-08-2013, 09:18 PM   #77
CAT600
I miss my wheelbarrow
Donating Member3

I have no problem with people having an opinion on what floats their boat but when you try to discredit the credentials of the car ill call you out... the R35 stands on its own two feet in the Supercar mix, sure its the cheapest bonafide Supercar on sale today but thats not its fault rather its it appeal to many.

The Porsche Turbos (any of them from 996 onwards) are great cars but there are not as roomy and the repair and service of them is up there.

Id love a TT Gallardo like what Underground Racing do but its neither affordable nor practical and the R35 excells at both you cant deny its capabilities... if you liked the '08 Poly would would love the '11-onwards they are twice the car.

Daniel
Old 10-08-2013, 09:20 PM   #78
Fireblade
Wizard Member

Fully agree Daniel.

A Lambo, Fezza and to some degree a Porsche is not a practical everyday supercar, very cost prohibitive to run one everyday.
Fireblade is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2013, 09:22 PM   #79
SantoAU
Defender of the faith

Quote:
the R35 stands on its own two feet in the Supercar mix, sure its the cheapest bonafide Supercar on sale today but thats not its fault rather its it appeal to many.
qft

They just get reinvented.

SantoAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2013, 09:28 PM   #80
CAT600
I miss my wheelbarrow
Donating Member3

The MY11 '35 is the only car ive ever driven that I can safely say was factory perfect... far out I miss it :(

Posting in here is bad for my financials... im on carsales right now looking at MY11's again!

Bastards!!!!

Daniel
2 users like this post:
Old 10-08-2013, 09:38 PM   #81
BadMax
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You get the same arguments in the bike world, there is nothing like riding an Italian bike like a Ducati, Aprilia or probably a Bimota. Sure the German BMW is one hell of a fine machine but has no feel then you step even lower to a Japanese sewing machine...

There is supercars, then cars trying to be supercars. Let's face it, how many of us could push any of the cars in this thread ten tenths? So, it then falls back to street presence and the GTR doesn't have any outside motoring fields so it's not a feel good car to many.
BadMax is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2013, 10:02 PM   #82
RULE303

Quote:
The MY11 '35 is the only car ive ever driven that I can safely say was factory perfect... far out I miss it :(

Posting in here is bad for my financials... im on carsales right now looking at MY11's again!

Bastards!!!!

Daniel
A bit off topic but have you seen the 09 gtr selling for 80k!? Such a steal!

Old 10-08-2013, 10:10 PM   #83
CAT600
I miss my wheelbarrow
Donating Member3

A more apt way to describe the R35 is the Supercar trying to blend in....

The attention from owning a Ferrari is not my style, I'd rather get a "knowing nod" from an enthusiast that knows a real performer when he sees one.... Also, have a look next time a Fezza blats down the road, typically only the greasy try-hards that ogle it... Definatley not girls looking, we proved it cruising with Tinos Stradale more girls looked at the GTR

Daniel
Old 10-08-2013, 11:00 PM   #84
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadMax View Post
You get the same arguments in the bike world, there is nothing like riding an Italian bike like a Ducati, Aprilia or probably a Bimota. Sure the German BMW is one hell of a fine machine but has no feel then you step even lower to a Japanese sewing machine...

There is supercars, then cars trying to be supercars. Let's face it, how many of us could push any of the cars in this thread ten tenths? So, it then falls back to street presence and the GTR doesn't have any outside motoring fields so it's not a feel good car to many.
Ummmm no... Not at all...... Riding a Ducati anywhere but the racetrack is just so pox it defies description.... Bimota, laughing hard now..... Aprilia oh yeah they are horn now and very fast.... The BMW clinically efficient and so, so fast, and the HP4 just epic..... But Aprilia or BMW is neither here nor there really as unless you are one of the fastest motorcycle riders in the country the thing slowing any of these bikes down is the useless sack of spuds sat on top of the poor thing..... And the Jap bikes, well yes, since GFC they have fallen behind the Euros, but this is only a recent thing, as pre GFC all the Euros were the poxmobiles.... But next to nobody can ride these things anyway so it doesn't really matter.

As for cars.... Well just about anyone with half a brain can pilot a fast car reasonably fast to a point somewhere near its limits.

The old saying, bikes it is 80 per cent rider 20 per cent bike.... With cars is 80 per cent car, 20 per cent driver, still rings true..... Just that now so many people with remotely fast cars never actually ever get to go fast thus can't process the speed when they finally actually get to go fast.

But back to the Supercars.... I have been spoiled to death by a GT3 911 and am forever in love. RWD, naturally aspirated, big noise, perfect ergos, gear change, steering, and the feel of every control so perfectly natural.... I expected a lot, and was absolutely blown away by just how impossibly awesome and perfect the GT3 was. Just mind blowingly unbelievable good and all the other Supercars I have driven just felt cold by comparison, even the uber faster ones with AWD and ewectwonic eveyrthing that are so clinically efficient and mind bendingly safe and fast. But at the end of the day, RWD, N/A and perfect feel at your toes and fingers wins out for me.

And as for Ferrari or especially Lambo, even if I had a gold mine at the bottom of the garden I would still not want to burn up money in such a fashion :-) Lambo especially are so famously unreliable I think they are all made during the Italian long smoko breaks :-)

Last edited by mcnews; 10-08-2013 at 11:08 PM.
mcnews is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-08-2013, 11:07 PM   #85
STINKY NINJA
Banned

I was awoken from my nanna nap today by an ad for an audi r8 v10 sounded very sexy being run up on a chassis dyno!
I like the r35 gtr as a practical supercar,the main word here being"practical" i wouldnt say its the nicest looking or most expensive/exotic but that isnt what this thread is about.
If pure **** factor is what your after,get a lambo or ferrari or porsche,want a car you can just pop down the shops in ten seconds to get some jack links beef jerky then hop in the gtr and away you go
STINKY NINJA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-08-2013, 11:42 PM   #86
STINKY NINJA
Banned

Gotta say though,im not sure how practical an audi r8 is or even how much they cost but the sound of that thing going through the gears was music to my ears!
STINKY NINJA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2013, 12:05 AM   #87
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

My Commo would lunch you all...

Also, if I could have one practical super car... Aventor.. they're just sex on wheels
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real

Last edited by grandpa_spec_F6; 11-08-2013 at 12:12 AM.
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2013, 12:06 AM   #88
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has been consistently providing good technical advice etc. to AFF members, by having the vast technical knowledge he has with the various Ford products. A valuable AFF member 

Porsche Cayenne Turbo S.
550bhp 283kmh
5 people with luggage
3500kg towing capacity
What more could you want?
Top_Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2013, 12:28 AM   #89
CAT600
I miss my wheelbarrow
Donating Member3

Something that feels remotely like a supercar?

An old mate drove a 2006 Turbo S... very uninspiring though it has a lot of gadgets!

I'm heading to bed and dreaming of another '35.....

Old 11-08-2013, 12:35 AM   #90
UberKnee
The One Who Knocks

The GTR from all accounts/reviews is technically a great car but lacks any soul or real wow factor. Not saying its a crap car but I could never buy a Datsun over a Ferrari, Lambo, Aston, Pagani, etc.

Porsche 911's always get a good wrap as being practical. The Audi R8 gets the same nod as well. The BMW M5 if it counts would be up there, insanely fast, generally relibale and has 4 doors and a boot. AMG E63 can probably squeeze in their too now that its the worlds fastest 4 door.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews View Post
Ummmm no... Not at all...... Riding a Ducati anywhere but the racetrack is just so pox it defies description.... Bimota, laughing hard now..... Aprilia oh yeah they are horn now and very fast.... The BMW clinically efficient and so, so fast, and the HP4 just epic..... But Aprilia or BMW is neither here nor there really as unless you are one of the fastest motorcycle riders in the country the thing slowing any of these bikes down is the useless sack of spuds sat on top of the poor thing..... And the Jap bikes, well yes, since GFC they have fallen behind the Euros, but this is only a recent thing, as pre GFC all the Euros were the poxmobiles.... But next to nobody can ride these things anyway so it doesn't really matter.
That really makes no sense, the rider doesn't change what the bike is capable of, thats like saying the Bugatti Veyron is heap of junk because that one tool drove his into a lake.

Last edited by UberKnee; 11-08-2013 at 12:41 AM.
UberKnee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post