Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-08-2007, 08:29 AM   #61
colossus
Secret Sleuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squalo

The only one I've driven was a Jaguar, and until you enjoy a supercharger you have no idea how fun they are (far better than a turbo).
I'm sorry but thats just plain incorrect. It depends on the car/application/tuning ect. You can't just say one is better than the other, though it seems the market has decided that the turbocharger is far superior at present. Superchargers may make a comeback with new tech coming but for now the turbo is king and superchargers are so last century.
Old 22-08-2007, 09:28 AM   #62
kooky
WRX terrorist

It's not bad looking but would need to be AWD for me to even bother looking further.
Old 22-08-2007, 10:46 AM   #63
Homer1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Best looking Toyota I've ever seen......needs AWD to be serious though. Wouldn't get one, its too fat and FWD to be serious performance car. For a bit more cash I'd get a R32 Golf instead, despite it being way smaller.
Homer1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2007, 11:59 AM   #64
Squalo
Two Wheels Good

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by colossus
I'm sorry but thats just plain incorrect. It depends on the car/application/tuning ect. You can't just say one is better than the other, though it seems the market has decided that the turbocharger is far superior at present.
Agreed, it was a pretty broad statement.

Quote:
Superchargers may make a comeback with new tech coming but for now the turbo is king and superchargers are so last century.
You should take a look at what's going on with superchargers - they are amazing things these days. Forget the old 6/71 style, the latest centrifugal blowers are compact, efficient and well priced for the power return they give.
1969 Kombi
Squalo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2007, 12:34 PM   #65
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

Well has anybody driven a supercharged commodore????

I drove a VT and it made a lot of noise but it was funny that it made less power and torque than a naturally aspirated AU XR6 though admittedly in their day they were pretty quick to a 100 kays though I don't think today 171kw is very impressive.

What I'm currently wondering about is when Holden is going to bring on their supercharged Alloytec?

Ford has had the hot six market for way too long and it looks like Toyota wants to come and cash in on it. Too bad we will lose the straight six turbo advantage in 2010 and will be on a level playing field with Toyota and Holden.

Judging by the blogs on sites like Drive this car is going to be a success.
Apparently according to the Toyotaphiles a stock Aurion is already faster than the SS and XR8 so this car is going to be a beast.

Also the Toyotaphiles have flat denied that front wheel drive and performance cars don't equate because most cars in production today are front wheel drive. WTF??

And yet again there is the old Aurion=Supra equation.

And don't forget the old Ford crap quality argument, bogan drivers, crap resale etc.

Seriously I think it's all FPV, XR8 and XR6 Turbo owners here patriotic duty if they see a supercharged Aurion on the road to put it in it's place.
sleekism is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2007, 01:23 PM   #66
DK30RB

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleekism

Seriously I think it's all FPV, XR8 and XR6 Turbo owners here patriotic duty if they see a supercharged Aurion on the road to put it in it's place.
Yeah - infront of the XR!!!! :
DK30RB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2007, 01:37 PM   #67
XR06T
13.96 @ 101.65

way too expensive.

that said if they can control the torque steer and still keep it quick, it'd be alright. it looks good to me..
Old 22-08-2007, 02:36 PM   #68
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Drive has a review here where they drove it.

Link

Snippet:
The 241kW supercharged scream pushes the Aurion's chassis to its practical limits. In some areas it takes the Aurion out of its comfort zone; the TRD Aurion exhibits high levels of torque steer on middling to heavy throttle inputs.

The steering wheel fights and tugs in the driver's hands as the front wheels scrabble for grip, and can affect the stability of the car in corners or even when accelerating in a straight line. This is particularly noticeable out of slow corners or when pulling out to overtake. The steering also exhibits a tendency to follow the camber of the road and react adversely to any bumps or irregularities.
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2007, 05:15 PM   #69
FordFella
Hoon (I wish!)

Looks the goods, but won't go the goods. Methinks Toyota are tightarses.

: If only I were old enough :
FordFella is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2007, 05:45 PM   #70
Bluehoon
Hoon On The Rise

AWD if only....

FGX-XR8 Manual, BFII E-Gas, '11 GSXR 1000 - Love 'em!
FPV Tickford Club of NSW - www.fpvclub.com
Bluehoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2007, 06:19 PM   #71
Kenster

used: ah just to let you know that Ford has brought abit of Toyota and put in the current series which mean that the new v6 engine would have the vvt system in it. As much Ford and Holden have been rival a new completition came in so what. I have driven a few toyota and they have impress me consider when i sat in the b series cars i felt like i was in a older model camry to be honest.

I would say Good luck to Toyota in giving Ford and Holden a little completition.
Kenster is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2007, 09:16 PM   #72
ARYAN

Yes I would buy this car if it was 45 k$ only..
ARYAN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2007, 11:17 PM   #73
Brootal
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordFella
Looks the goods, but won't go the goods. Methinks Toyota are tightarses.

That's why they have more money in the bank than all the other car companies put together!
Brootal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2007, 09:58 AM   #74
DDXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleekism
Apparently according to the Toyotaphiles a stock Aurion is already faster than the SS and XR8 so this car is going to be a beast.

Also the Toyotaphiles have flat denied that front wheel drive and performance cars don't equate because most cars in production today are front wheel drive. WTF??
Toyotaphiles are a good breed. They often congregate around their computer's and defend the performance figure's of their dismally powered econo-boxes. They also have premature bald spot's and frequent shell service station's armed with shop-a-docket's and Fly-by's cards. I somewhat fail to see how a 15.4 second (ish) Aurion can keep up with a 14 second car. Some might preach driver skill's ... But same driver, same strip and all of the aforementioned car's will hand the Aurion it's anus on a china plate.

New Aurion will be a bastard of a drive. Torque steer will be abundant. I don't care if the Toyotaphiles wanna find ways around this in the way of suspension work ... 245kw through the front wheels is too much for a factory car. And, that power + FWD + driver abuse = BANG.

I'm not rubbishing the car - I think it's quite the looker. I've seem a few slammed Aurion's with wheels, and they do take my fancy. But the looks arent enough to lure me to a brand where white Camry's are their top sellers
DDXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2007, 10:59 AM   #75
Rev28K
re

Location: Victoria - where being slow & incompetent is considered being "safe"

How about a bit of thinking outside the square…..

Bolwell have got a planned mid-engined coupe that they are planning to bring out sometime. They were talking about it using “a local 6 cylinder powerplant”. Rather than add cost by having to buy a dedicated mid-engined gearbox for an inline engine (like the Ford I6) it would be easier to use a transverse FWD drivetrain and swap it around. That leaves Toyota or Holden (Mitsubishi stopped making local engines).

If they don’t use the Holden V6 (which will be available in turbo, 4wd, in-line RWD and transverse FWD variations) that leaves the Toyota engine. Toyota have backed away from their higher power claims now that it is FWD rather than AWD but I’m sure that there is potential for more power from this thing if it only has to power the driven wheels. The thought of a tweaked version of this engine appearing in something like a plus –sized Lotus Exige makes me a lot more interested in this car….

(Does anyone know if the proposed Bolwell is going to use Toyota or Holden?)
Scuderia Rev: Otto the tow pig - 2007 3.0 litre Coupé, vernünftig schnelle aber kein peilstab, Bathurst 2007 und 2010 zwölf Stunde Gewinner Jaffa the angry ant - mid 70's Honda 市民の, 73 と立方インチ LSD Elle "the body" shell - early 70's Datsun フェアレディ coupe. いい体は彼女の内側、内側と土台を待つ
Rev28K is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2007, 01:01 PM   #76
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan635
. I somewhat fail to see how a 15.4 second (ish) Aurion can keep up with a 14 second car. Some might preach driver skill's ... But same driver, same strip and all of the aforementioned car's will hand the Aurion it's anus on a china plate.
Not that I want to defend the Aurion or anything but in the latest MOTOR mag (ooohh I love quoting magazine stats like a nerd) the non-supercharged regular variety auto Aurion ran 6.8 to 100km/h and 14.8 down the quarter. It couldn't actually turn corners though...
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2007, 01:16 PM   #77
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

Isn't it funny how the ricer crew always used to bag Falcadores saying "yeah they are fast but they can't handle".

Now Toyota has released the Aurion which is dedicated to straight line speed but understeers like a pig and you don't hear a whisper....
sleekism is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2007, 01:31 PM   #78
Nappa
Impressive...

TRD has arrived here and i went for a drive the other day, it was far better the expected and was quick, it felt as fast if not faster then a XR6T.
It had a good grip and torque steer wasnt and issue.
I think that the car could be a hit, it may seem pricey in comparison to holden and ford but its not aimed to compete in that market.
The die hard toyota buyer is a different breed to the Holden or ford buyer.
I'd wager that there will be far fewer issues in running a TRD then a ford or holden, TRD now also gets the $120 fixed service plan aswell. Coupled with 10.9ltr/100 and toyota's good resale we should do well with them.
Old 23-08-2007, 01:52 PM   #79
irlewy86
Meep Meep

I have images, of a Top gear review where Clarkson takes it to a bowls club and says simply,

"Why give a car thats never going to see a race track 245kw? Absolute rubbish!"
Old 23-08-2007, 01:54 PM   #80
DDXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin
Not that I want to defend the Aurion or anything but in the latest MOTOR mag (ooohh I love quoting magazine stats like a nerd) the non-supercharged regular variety auto Aurion ran 6.8 to 100km/h and 14.8 down the quarter. It couldn't actually turn corners though...
Once again, depending on driver, track, time, temp's ... etc etc. Im talking same car, same conditions and same driver. Plus, motor are full of crap.
DDXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2007, 04:06 PM   #81
FordFella
Hoon (I wish!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleekism
Isn't it funny how the ricer crew always used to bag Falcadores saying "yeah they are fast but they can't handle".

Now Toyota has released the Aurion which is dedicated to straight line speed but understeers like a pig and you don't hear a whisper...
I don't think this will even appeal to ricers. They want "fully sick AWD" :sm_headba

: If only I were old enough :
FordFella is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2007, 04:06 PM   #82
ClevlndStemer
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlewy86
I have images, of a Top gear review where Clarkson takes it to a bowls club and says simply,

"Why give a car thats never going to see a race track 245kw? Absolute rubbish!"
post please
ClevlndStemer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2007, 04:09 PM   #83
GreenMachine39

very nice i like it , if i had the dollars id no doubt buy one
GreenMachine39 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2007, 08:35 PM   #84
Walkinshaw
Two > One

This car will shut alot of ill informed holden/ford fanboys up.

Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2007, 08:39 PM   #85
Deadman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkinshaw
I hate fanboys as much as the next guy, but for the asking price - you've got to be kidding. Take $15k off it and it would still be overpriced IMO (ok, I exagerated that, take $15k off and it's probably on the mark). Might be an ok car, but for $57k (and from what I understand, that's not even the 'luxury' version) ??? No way!

We're talking Typhoon money. Even at the moment, $45k will get you a fully decked out XR6T - a much better option and probably $10k+ cheaper than an 'entry level' TRD Aurion.

Last edited by Deadman; 23-08-2007 at 08:47 PM.
Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2007, 10:11 PM   #86
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

I think its good car for their target audience...
I mean, you have to get from church to bowls in a hurry.
Plus i like the bootlip spoiler, they dont need anymore rear blindspots after the crotchered rug and tissue box go on the parcel shelf...
Good on you Toyota!

/end sarcasm

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2007, 10:14 PM   #87
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkinshaw
How? It wont beat anything HSV or FPV produce so I cant see how its going to wow us over.

On another note its interesting to see how quick Toyota can get things to the market compared to Holden and Ford. Im located in QLD and I seen a TRD being fueled up today by a PD person from the local toyota dealer, not bad considering the cars just been launched...
2024.50 Mustang Darkhorse 6M Blue Ember + Appearance pack ETA Jan 25.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2007, 10:17 PM   #88
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nappa
TRD has arrived here and i went for a drive the other day, it was far better the expected and was quick, it felt as fast if not faster then a XR6T.
It had a good grip and torque steer wasnt and issue.
I think that the car could be a hit, it may seem pricey in comparison to holden and ford but its not aimed to compete in that market.
The die hard toyota buyer is a different breed to the Holden or ford buyer.
I'd wager that there will be far fewer issues in running a TRD then a ford or holden, TRD now also gets the $120 fixed service plan aswell. Coupled with 10.9ltr/100 and toyota's good resale we should do well with them.
Good resale??

You have to be kidding me.

Toyotas good resale doesnt include large Sedan, you only have to look at the resale on the Avalons and up spec'd V6 Camry sportivos...
2024.50 Mustang Darkhorse 6M Blue Ember + Appearance pack ETA Jan 25.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2007, 10:40 PM   #89
apolloxbgt
cross breeder

10 years too late,10k over priced and not enough of the wheels get power through them.

Pearl red looks quite good on a fridge though.
Old 25-08-2007, 01:51 PM   #90
Unco
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

a few more details here: http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...25733F00225F08

the TRD Aurion is about 100Kg's than an XR6T, so let's not just focus on Kw figures. Power:Weight is what makes a car quick. having said that, Toyota themselves say that this car is not designed to compete with Ford and GMH tribalists.. http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...9?OpenDocument

i think the car looks good. apparently an AWD version is a possibility for the future.
Unco is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post