Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-02-2013, 11:09 AM   #61
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: European cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews View Post
\Now tell me what those exercises would have cost and involved on a similar Euro car...? Just something to consider...
Would have cost me the same, no matter what car. The cost of my excess on my insurance.
Old 13-02-2013, 11:16 AM   #62
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

I guess that's the difference between repairs costing a few hundred versus a few grand.... The need to claim or not.
Old 13-02-2013, 01:08 PM   #63
Rodge
Banned

You make a fair point Trev, thankfully we don't have to worry about hitting wombats or Roo's in N.Z., sheep can make a bloody mess though

I think people go into this sort of thing knowing everything about owning a top line euro will cost you circa three times the price of an Australian car. Is it worth it ? that's a really tough question....

Last edited by Rodge; 13-02-2013 at 01:14 PM.
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2013, 03:13 PM   #64
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Then there is the depreciation..... You could buy a new Territory with the money you lose driving 50 metres from the showroom in an X5 or Touareg.... Then buy another one in two years times and still be in front...
Old 13-02-2013, 03:20 PM   #65
SS_01
Erebus Motorsport Fan

Quote:
Then there is the depreciation..... You could buy a new Territory with the money you lose driving 50 metres from the showroom in an X5 or Touareg.... Then buy another one in two years times and still be in front...
Your talking about cars that are in the luxury car bracket, and comparing it to a territory that isn't?? Of course they are going to lose more money, its because of the luxury car tax more so than anything else.

To be fair, no territory compares to a Touareg or X5. But on the subject of depreciating, a Titanium territory after a couple of years is worth half to trade, and thats from wholesalers who deal with them all the time.
Old 13-02-2013, 03:34 PM   #66
mcnews
Trev

For sure, that was simplifying things. But if you add up running/servicing costs then it would not be too far away from the truth.

The Territory handles better and is also better to punt on Aussie roads.... It just needs an engine that really does it justice.... The Turbo Territory was not that, an FG Spec turbo motor is a huge improvement from the BA Turbo engine in the Territory Turbo, and would put the Territory right up there in the performance stakes too.

But yes getting off the point too much...
Old 13-02-2013, 07:13 PM   #67
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner77 View Post
Thanks, Big Damo.

So it's worth a try, you think?

Thanks also for revealing the problem with European air-conditioning. I had always wondered why old European models' aircon was so much better by comparison with the new ones.
Its worth a try, but it won't fix an existing problem with the AC system which is unrelated to a gas issue.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2013, 08:12 PM   #68
Rodge
Banned

Quote:
Then there is the depreciation.....
Yeap...got to admitt that's the toughest part of it no question but this eases the pain considerably. A superb place to spend time and I'm seldom in a hurry to get anywhere when i'm driving it

Last edited by Rodge; 13-02-2013 at 08:23 PM.
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 13-02-2013, 08:45 PM   #69
Angeldust

I honestly cannot get comfortable in my e46 320ci coupe. Even after 20 minutes of driving, my lower back hurts, my leg feels 'funny' and my foot get pins/needles. I do not have this problem at all in my clubbie. And yes, i've tried adjusting the seat etc, just cannot get comfortable in it. (im bang on 6ft)

Z series Clubsport HRT edition..
e46 320ci 2.2ltr Stocko
Angeldust is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2013, 10:56 PM   #70
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angeldust View Post
I honestly cannot get comfortable in my e46 320ci coupe. Even after 20 minutes of driving, my lower back hurts, my leg feels 'funny' and my foot get pins/needles. I do not have this problem at all in my clubbie. And yes, i've tried adjusting the seat etc, just cannot get comfortable in it. (im bang on 6ft)
I found the same problem with our work car, V8 BA Fairmont Ghia, and the rest of the B-FG series cars, but my EL is fine.

Seating/steering wheel position is odd, I can't get comfortable at all in the seat.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2013, 12:37 AM   #71
Cheese3
The BEST Falcon is the AU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angeldust View Post
My e36 M3 was the same but it was after 30-40mins for me, after that time my lower back would kill me
Cheese3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2013, 02:03 AM   #72
blueline
ambitious but rubbish

Glad I managed to inspire so much discussion on the subject.

Anyhow, the post I wrote is finished, feel free to check it out here:

http://themanifolddotme.wordpress.co...otive-analogs/

Thanks again for the info, and thanks to Vincenzo for proofreading the article for me.

www.themanifold.me
blueline is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2013, 02:55 AM   #73
Vincenzo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese3 View Post
My e36 M3 was the same but it was after 30-40mins for me, after that time my lower back would kill me
Have to say, doing 10,000km in 10 days in the 635 was just wonderful. I covered the last 1,600km in 13 hours or so. Perhaps thats the difference between the old and the new. My 1986 635 was designed as an interstate / inter country vehicle where the current M3's etc were designed as sprint vehicles not taking into account long distances.

Just a thought

Cheers Vincenzo

"WRC is for boys, Group B was for men" - Juha Kankkunen 4 times World Rally Champion

Romanes Eunt Domus - 'people called Romanes they go the house' - You mean Romani Ite Domum

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Vincenzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post