Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-12-2012, 02:43 PM   #61
nstg8a

Default Re: Ford Australia manufacturing not dead

Buying second hand falcons helps too. If no one bought those two or three year old cars then no one would buy them new.
It's a big circle, and everyone is important.

No one should have their opinion fobbed off because they haven't purchased a new one.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 02-12-2012, 03:12 PM   #62
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a View Post
Buying second hand falcons helps too. If no one bought those two or three year old cars then no one would buy them new.

No one should have their opinion fobbed off because they haven't purchased a new one.
Exactly, good resale value can make the difference between someone buying a new vehicle or not.
Now that bulk sales of Falcons and Commodores to fleets has really slowed up, you can bet that resale
values of Falcons and Commodores might actually start to creep up slightly as supplies of desirable
second hand Falcons and Commodores tightens up....That could encourage used buyers back into new cars..
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2012, 03:27 PM   #63
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadyFord View Post
Another article from Go Auto:

LA show: Ford chief Fields Falcon questions

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...257AC60023491F

30 November 2012
By MIKE COSTELLO in Los Angeles
Ford Australia shed 330 blue collar workers earlier this month – 212 were made redundant involuntarily – and trimmed daily production from 209 vehicles to 148, nearly half of which are the stronger-selling Territory SUV.
I thought the drop in production was coming from Falcon? This article is saying basically a 50/50 drop in Falcon & Territory. Can anyone confirm that?
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2012, 04:54 PM   #64
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Because they have to build a certain number of falcons for each Territory... I think it's close to 50/50...

As for you guys around here suggesting Ford can continue on as it is now post 2016 you are dullusional... The only way Falcon will survive is if it shares a platform.. Regardless of much you guys dream the reality is Ford is moving towards global products, you could still sell 6000 Facons a month and it won't make this requirement... That does not mean they won't manufacture something else here, just means we won't have our own platform... You have to look at the big picture, Facon is down 26% again this year with an updated model and the introduction of EB.... Will it drop another 20 - 30% in 2013... With production down that is a very harsh reality....
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-12-2012, 05:01 PM   #65
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

Well 2016 is just the emissions deadline. Sort that out and FH should last in the market a couple more years after that.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2012, 05:28 PM   #66
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT View Post
Because they have to build a certain number of falcons for each Territory... I think it's close to 50/50...
That is only correct if you config the plant that way. They can build any split they want of both models if config that way! Hence my question, the whole point of slowing the line down was to drop the numbers of the model you are down on & keep the numbers on the model you are up on!!
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2012, 06:52 PM   #67
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

Quote:

As for you guys around here suggesting Ford can continue on as it is now post 2016 you are dullusional... The only way Falcon will survive is if it shares a platform.. Regardless of much you guys dream the reality is Ford is moving towards global products, you could still sell 6000 Facons a month and it won't make this requirement... That does not mean they won't manufacture something else here, just means we won't have our own platform... You have to look at the big picture, Facon is down 26% again this year with an updated model and the introduction of EB.... Will it drop another 20 - 30% in 2013... With production down that is a very harsh reality....
I don't think any of us would mind a global car if it meant Australian manufacturing remained. A global car can still be called Falcon and tweaked for our market.
1986 XF Fairmont Ghia 4.1L EFI Regency Red, trip computer, venetians - 163Ks
1979 P6 LTD 351, Goldust - 185Ks
1989 Mazda MX5, Red 1.6L, 5sp manual - 102Ks
P6LTD351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 02-12-2012, 08:55 PM   #68
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked View Post

So, we already have the cheapest labour outside Asia...just our utilities cost would be a bit more then US...
Probably why the Ranger and Focus are both built in Asia, maximizing profits from our closest neighbors.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2012, 09:50 PM   #69
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Thailand is latest flavour of the month for manufacturing outsourcing. Heaps of government assistance and encouragement. A motivated workforce that is relatively cheap and when managed well turning out excellent build quality. Been seeing it come about with some of the motorcycles/scoots I review, some of the Thai stuff is now fit and finish wise getting better than Japan, at a fraction of the end cost landed in Oz.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:53 PM   #70
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a View Post

Not saying it is the way it is now, but years ago resale was the biggest reason Ford/Holden invested in V8 Supercar Series, as before the tradies were all earning over 100k a year secondhand was their bread and butter which held up the secondhand values which made fleets/business turn over cars quicker and thus lead to more ongoing sales turnover. It was never about selling new cars.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:14 PM   #71
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619 View Post
That is only correct if you config the plant that way. They can build any split they want of both models if config that way! Hence my question, the whole point of slowing the line down was to drop the numbers of the model you are down on & keep the numbers on the model you are up on!!

Well that's the way it's configured... Some staff only work on Falcon, some only work on Territory. They would need to reconfigure the entire line to change.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:35 PM   #72
Bossxr8
Peter Car

No they don't, every stations workers do anything that comes down the line, they are trained to do either. I know in my job i'm trained to do either Territory, Falcon or ute, LPi, Turbo or NA, auto or manual.

The downbalance seemed to mostly cut the numbers of the least selling models, which seem to be anything Falcon with an NA 6 in it. NA 6 builds dropped a lot, while everything else didn't change much, if at all.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 02-12-2012, 11:00 PM   #73
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
No they don't, every stations workers do anything that comes down the line, they are trained to do either. I know in my job i'm trained to do either Territory, Falcon or ute, LPi, Turbo or NA, auto or manual.

The downbalance seemed to mostly cut the numbers of the least selling models, which seem to be anything Falcon with an NA 6 in it. NA 6 builds dropped a lot, while everything else didn't change much, if at all.
You build motors tho... That was Fords official take on why they had to build them side by side otherwise wouldn't you utilize more Territory production??? There's got to be a reason as parts are just in time.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:14 PM   #74
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

It really would be nice to see some members remain a bit more optimistic about the future of FOA manufacturing rather than the current doom and gloom. For a FOA enthusiasts forum we do tend to be very negative and potentially even having a negative effect on Falcon's future. For example, do a google search on Falcon or Ford and see how many hits this forum gets, other see the negativity in here too.

Personally, I would love to see co development of the Falcon with Mustang and see a long a fruitful future for FOA and the falcon.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:42 PM   #75
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT View Post
It really would be nice to see some members remain a bit more optimistic about the future of FOA manufacturing rather than the current doom and gloom. For a FOA enthusiasts forum we do tend to be very negative and potentially even having a negative effect on Falcon's future. For example, do a google search on Falcon or Ford and see how many hits this forum gets, other see the negativity in here too.

Personally, I would love to see co development of the Falcon with Mustang and see a long a fruitful future for FOA and the falcon.

Do a search on certain number 1 selling Toyotas and you will find negative stuff on them too...

There's just too many alternatives today.. People still buy cars, but if you look back 20 years ago the options were much smaller.

Ford gets some great publicity... Ecoboost Falcon just won Carsales best car of the year for its category and overall.

I hope FOA can continue on with a global car!
Old 02-12-2012, 11:45 PM   #76
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Do a search on certain number 1 selling Toyotas and you will find negative stuff on them too...

There's just too many alternatives today.. People still buy cars, but if you look back 20 years ago the options were much smaller.

Ford gets some great publicity... Ecoboost Falcon just won Carsales best car of the year for its category and overall.

I hope FOA can continue on with a global car!
It seems you missed my point, anyhoo, lets move on.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:35 AM   #77
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
You build motors tho... That was Fords official take on why they had to build them side by side otherwise wouldn't you utilize more Territory production??? There's got to be a reason as parts are just in time.
Its all down one line and every operator builds his component of that vehicle. Problem is the terri will take more time in each station to build then the Falcon/ute. Slowing down the line would allow the mix to be better but having another vehicle that reduces time in the station that would be better....funny enough the station wagon was one of these vehicles.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:56 AM   #78
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

unfortunately we have our fair share of trolls here. I do suspect the motives of some though, when you see usernames that are obviously Holden related you wonder if they are really Ford enthusiasts or they are really trolls here to stir things up. lets face it what real Ford enthusiast would have a username that indicates they prefer a commodore?
Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT View Post

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2012, 12:57 AM   #79
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Well that's the way it's configured... Some staff only work on Falcon, some only work on Territory. They would need to reconfigure the entire line to change.
Dash the new processes and global software to do exactly that will come in over this summers break. FOA can sell every terry it can build but build was limited to a % for Falcon. That will no longer be the case. Now terry can outsell falcon if that is where the market take it.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:55 AM   #80
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Plaizier View Post
They talk about never bringing back Tariffs, but at least in those days Australia had a healthy manufacturing base.
The Australian Govt looks gullible in my eyes, and i guess the rest of asia as well. Wasn't the reason we pulled the tariffs was to supposed to equalise trading deficit "Australia recorded a Current Account deficit of 11801 Million AUD in the second quarter of 2012" - Source
Old 03-12-2012, 06:55 PM   #81
SpoolMan

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Manufacturing is the subject guys nothing else, not interested in reading peoples views about google, trolls, etc etc.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:20 PM   #82
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
I've worked on the line at Broady too. Every worker needs to be able to build every variant that comes down the line.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:17 PM   #83
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
What a load of rot. Ford have already shown that if it makes sense, they will continue manufacturing and designing one off platforms, like the F150, and the Mustang (which is now going global yes). One Ford is about being one entity the world over, and aligning synergies to reduce complexity, whilst maintaining certain flexibilities. It does not mean they must have the same cars the world over, or the same selection. Nor does it mean that certain markets can't have unique cars. As long it's production makes business sense, and can fit within the One Ford scope. I believe we are going to see the 2014 More aligned within the One Ford scope than the current model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
A lot of people will be shocked at how much internal help Falcon is getting and from where...
It's not Dearborn... is it?
Old 04-12-2012, 12:13 AM   #84
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

FFS the F150 argument again? F Series would outsell all of Fords CD category cars combined, which would have to be their second highest selling segment behind light trucks. It's also the breadwinner on basically all of Fords key drivetrain development. Cyclone V6, Coyote V8, Modular V8/10, BOSS V8, 6R80 automatic. ALL UNFEASIBLE without F Series.
2 users like this post:
Old 04-12-2012, 05:24 PM   #85
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buntz View Post
What a load of rot. Ford have already shown that if it makes sense, they will continue manufacturing and designing one off platforms, like the F150, and the Mustang (which is now going global yes).

F series sells more in a month than Falcon sells in over a year, and Mustang sells in numbers Falcon used to 10 years ago. What a silly thing to say
2 users like this post:
Old 04-12-2012, 08:17 PM   #86
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If we're bringing up old numbers, F series used to outsell the whole Australian industry!
Old 04-12-2012, 08:38 PM   #87
SpoolMan

cool lets move on from the F-series sales it can be discussed in its own thread.