Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-10-2012, 08:27 AM   #61
Bearman
Moderator Ford Coupe Club

Default Re: WTF Channel 7...stop rewriting history!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC200six
All I can put it down to is Channel 7 decided to censor footage at their own discretion to avoid the possibility of any potential controversy from some whinging minority groups and are not required by law to do so.
I reckon that's it, channel 7 covering their a55es just in case Roxon and her prius driving latte sipping inner city dwelling greenie do gooder nanny state operatives decide to strap it on and give it to them for showing any footage with those offensive words.

Sign of the times I'm afraid.

What's next for the killjoy squad???

http://www.fordcoupeclub.org

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2012, 09:36 AM   #62
SavVYute

In a strange way Marlboro's got free national advertising as soon as 7 blurred the name out. They must be laughing.
SavVYute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2012, 10:22 AM   #63
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

I can't wait for the time, when my ife is so complicated that I need to get upset about what some TV channel decides to blur out.

If you are concerned about it, ring channel seven and ask why and lodge your protest, better than just making noise about it on here.

and yes, I would rather see them as they were, but is it going to upset my day, don't think so............

.. let the race begin

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2012, 10:24 AM   #64
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The point is that once you start deciding which parts of history are uncomfortable for some people today and have to be censored out of historic footage, where do you stop?

In the USA some years back, theyn wanted to put up a sculpture of the great WW2 President, Franklin D. Roosevelt. As people wouldknow, he was always shown with a big cigar in his hand...he was never without it in pictures. When the preliminary mouldings of the proposed statue were shown, there were actual protests about the matter of the cigar in his hand, even though this was as much a signature as Winston Churchill and his huge stogie or two finger victory salute.
Then again,some people actually complained that he was shown in the statue sitting in a wheelchair instead of standing...d'oh! The same people also complained about a painting in then national gallery at the same time of Roosevelts wife, who was always seen wearing a fur coat.
There have been serious complaints in the past also about all those pictures of soldiers in WW1 and 2 who were smoking in old photos and videos. Do we modify them as well? Once you start doing it, where do you stop?

Modifying the past to suit the present is a worrying precedent. It might seem trivial with the blurring out of ciggy logos on classic race cars, but it shows an underlying philosophy that we can simply erase somethiing that current administrations don't agree withfrom the records.
They've done it with film of the cars sitting there now, they've done it with historic footage taken thirty years or more ago, what's next, blurring out any and all footage seen anywhere such as DVD's of racing to hide historical fact?
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2012, 10:32 AM   #65
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

I don't care about the ciggy decals.....what's annoying is why the race isn't broadcast in HD.....WTF is up with that ??
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2012, 11:16 AM   #66
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP
I don't care about the ciggy decals.....what's annoying is why the race isn't broadcast in HD.....WTF is up with that ??
Really? That's a bit slack. Seeing as how they transmit every two-bit football game with someidiots kicking a ball around in HD, why wouldn't they at least do it for the fiftieth anniversary of an iconic race?

Combine that with the changing of historic race footage, and you get the impression they're getting a bit complacent and think the bogan public will tune in no matter what. Maybe a different broadcaster might take things in a new direction?
Old 07-10-2012, 11:28 AM   #67
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
Really? That's a bit slack. Seeing as how they transmit every two-bit football game with someidiots kicking a ball around in HD, why wouldn't they at least do it for the fiftieth anniversary of an iconic race?

Combine that with the changing of historic race footage, and you get the impression they're getting a bit complacent and think the bogan public will tune in no matter what. Maybe a different broadcaster might take things in a new direction?
it has been discussed before - at present the race must be on sd, because not everyone has hd. it can be on 2 channels at once, but then they do already have their programs in place and believe it or not, some people are not fans of afl or motor racing

the picture on my tv looks great - maybe it would be better in hd, but really i don't care. look over the previous footage with the logos blurred and you will see that the picture quality today is awesome in sd
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2012, 11:44 AM   #68
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
The point is that once you start deciding which parts of history are uncomfortable for some people today and have to be censored out of historic footage, where do you stop?
Mate, give it a rest.
It's obvious that Chanel 7 feel that allowing viewers to see old sponsors on cars is not good for their business.

Don't like it?

Send them a letter...
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2012, 11:59 AM   #69
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxb67
it has been discussed before - at present the race must be on sd, because not everyone has hd. it can be on 2 channels at once, but then they do already have their programs in place and believe it or not, some people are not fans of afl or motor racing

the picture on my tv looks great - maybe it would be better in hd, but really i don't care. look over the previous footage with the logos blurred and you will see that the picture quality today is awesome in sd
Broadcast Bathurst in HD on 7 mateHD and put normal programming on SD....simple. These premiere events should always be in HD as an option.....not the other way round. Not sure what Telly you have...but the difference between SD and HD as a viewing experience is huge.....considering some of us will be watching it for the whole day........it should have been HD.
Old 07-10-2012, 12:03 PM   #70
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP
Broadcast Bathurst in HD on 7 mateHD and put normal programming on SD....simple. These premiere events should always be in HD as an option.....not the other way round. Not sure what Telly you have...but the difference between SD and HD as a viewing experience is huge.....considering some of us will be watching it for the whole day........it should have been HD.
they are not allowed to have it solely on hd - not everybody has it, so the law is that certain events must be on sd and have the option of hd as well

i am a huge sport fan, but being forced by channel 10 and 9 to have afl, netball and the olympics showing the same action on 2 channels is pathetic to say the least. not everyone cares about sport and those that do don't care about every sport
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2012, 12:04 PM   #71
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

couple of jacks.. OMG all the cars look blurry..
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2012, 12:08 PM   #72
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
couple of jacks.. OMG all the cars look blurry..
Ha ha....I knew you'd have a technical answer for it.....
That's why it needs to be in HD .....so by the end of the day....it looks like SD

As it is.....by the end of the day.....you won't be able to see anything......
Old 07-10-2012, 12:10 PM   #73
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wish if they were going to show this stupid cad crap for the numptys that don't know what's under he car, that they would do it in the small screen and not the large one

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2012, 09:58 AM   #74
RASER
Banned

One word....

FUN-POLICE!
RASER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2012, 10:18 AM   #75
NAK302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RASER
One word....

FUN-POLICE!
yep, apathy by the common man has led to this. i see quite a few replies here that fit in that category.
good on you 2011G6E for trying to raise the awareness of how we commoners are treated in general by pretentous people.
NAK302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2012, 10:28 AM   #76
Bearman
Moderator Ford Coupe Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yeti
I wish if they were going to show this stupid cad crap for the numptys that don't know what's under he car, that they would do it in the small screen and not the large one
I reckon it's a good feature of the telecast. They do a great job of engaging non car people to the sport in a way that enables them to understand what is happening and why. It is vital in engaging new fans to the sport.

I get that it is annoying for all us hardcore petrol heads, it is preaching to the converted. If my wife can watch, learn and get interested in the event with no input from me then they are doing a great job, particularly Larko and Crompton.

http://www.fordcoupeclub.org

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2012, 10:57 AM   #77
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

These cars are a piece of motoring history, and young people today deserve to see them as they were in all their glory. We don't look at them and think "That's a cool cigarette advert...I might spark up a durry"...we look at them and get transported back to a time in our youth when these things were racing around giving us a thrill, and to blur out half the car does a disservice to the people who have spent years and buckets of cash restoring them for our pleasure.
It kinda funny really...
The scale model race cars dont even have any smoking advertising on them
Yep buy a scale Brock race car and theres no Marlboro adverting on it
Its funny also that Lowndes had his commodore in , what for it , "Marlboro" livery
Marlboro wasnt just a name brand but they also had a well recognised colour, red over white
Sometimes it just goes a little to far, but if and when massive fines can be handed out, many people/companies/businesses have to tread very lightly
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2012, 11:26 AM   #78
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 XC
It kinda funny really...
Its funny also that Lowndes had his commodore in , what for it , "Marlboro" livery
Marlboro wasnt just a name brand but they also had a well recognised colour, red over white
Sometimes it just goes a little to far, but if and when massive fines can be handed out, many people/companies/businesses have to tread very lightly

That's an interesting one about the livery...back in the "old days" if you saw a black race car with gold stripes, or a red and white one with that "v" design on the bonnet, your brain automatically went "John Player Special, and that's Marlboro"...not to mention other colour/writing schemes. It was a connection you made because of all the fag adverts on TV all the time.

If you showed a kid those colours now, they'd say "Nice paint job", not think "cigarettes"...
Old 08-10-2012, 11:28 AM   #79
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by superyob
Are these taxes enough to cover the resulting hospital bills brought about by stupid people exercising their choice to develop lung cancer?
Well and truely,

I was looking into this a few months back, but there are billions of dollars raised taxing ciggies in a 12 month period, then a breakdown of how many billion are put towards education, another number in the billions showing cost on society through the health sector. Once all the costs are accounted for there are still billions leftover. If this wasn't the case, they would be banned, it is all about the government turning a profit.
StealthAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2012, 01:49 PM   #80
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 XC
It kinda funny really...
If you looked closely, 888 inverted the red triangle on the bonnet so it didnt exactly match the Marlboro trademark.
Either way they were treading a fine line...

Remember when Jordan F1 had 'Buzzin and Hornets' instead of Benson and Hedges? Pretty sure they got in trouble for that.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2012, 02:38 PM   #81
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

The Melbourne Herald-Sun had photos of Brocky's old cars in the newspapers over the weekend, complete with the full liveries.

So is it something that Ch 7 elected to do, rather than having to comply with the law? Or maybe the unedited photos slipped past?
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2012, 05:04 PM   #82
sbutler
335 kw of goodness

wrong post

2012 GTP 213 black what was I thinking? NOW FOR SALE>>
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11439680
sbutler is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2012, 05:24 PM   #83
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Talking Re: WTF Channel 7...stop rewriting history!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearman
I reckon it's a good feature of the telecast. They do a great job of engaging non car people to the sport in a way that enables them to understand what is happening and why. It is vital in engaging new fans to the sport.

I get that it is annoying for all us hardcore petrol heads, it is preaching to the converted. If my wife can watch, learn and get interested in the event with no input from me then they are doing a great job, particularly Larko and Crompton.
So why can't they put it in the smaller segment of the screen, I have no problem with the audio or it being there but when there's a battle going on why fill the screen with crap that really is of no use.

Gotta say it was funny watching larko put the brake pad in back to front

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2012, 06:07 PM   #84
MAD
Petro-sexual

I was really annoyed by this too, not because of the historical footage being ruined, but the fact our society has come to this. Grow a pair Ch7, and maybe some logic while you're at it. Historical footage is not 'advertising'.

Totally uncensored here.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/fifty-awesome-moments
Old 08-10-2012, 06:23 PM   #85
Grunter
Not of the Sooty variety!
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP
I watched the start and the end on 7. Then knowing how much more I'd enjoy watching in HD, recorded it on Speed. Been watching it this afternoon and it all looks spectacular (and advert free)!
Got me stuffed why 7 doesn't broadcast in HD, especially for Bathurst.

Current
The Toy: 2002 AUIII TS50
The Daily and Tow Vehicle: 2016 VW Amarok
Grunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2012, 06:40 PM   #86
FG50T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you drive a brock race replica on the street with the Marlboro signage you face a fine too.
FG50T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2012, 10:38 PM   #87
XABEBAGT
GT Driver

I also hated the bluring of the Marlbro logos on Brocks car and I believe this was a kneejerk reaction by Channel 7. I was also amazed that I heard Jim Richards call the crowd "ar5eholes" on 3 seperate occasions during the telecast. Seems "ar5eholes" is okay for kids to hear someone say but they can't see the word Marlbro in print. Talk about double standards. What's wrong with this picture.
Cheers
Keith
3/93 EB2GT No 204 - Cardinal Red 1 of 88
8/03 BAGT No 395 - Blood Orange
6/08 FGGT No 295 - Octane
3/64 XM 4 Door - Red
XABEBAGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2012, 11:39 PM   #88
last fairlane
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cool Re: WTF Channel 7...stop rewriting history!!!

Just watched channel 2 with Will Hagen showing old footage of Brock racing at Sandown and the Bathurst races
and the cars were in full livery with nothing blurred out
I think if the Australian governments own TV station can show it like it was
something is wrong somewhere
yes on Mythbusters and the blurring on brand names
but number plates and GM or Ford is a bit silly
anyway Mythbusters lost me when it went from a twosome to a fivesome
they seemed to have lost the plot
like what has been said write to the Seven network and complain
last fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2012, 12:10 AM   #89
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FG50T
If you drive a brock race replica on the street with the Marlboro signage you face a fine too.
Pardon??? The laws apply to TV...

You can face civil case should the company see it as a breach of their copyright...

There seems to be a lot of people here lambasting about CH7 and not realising that there are laws in place and that their lawyers obviously felt it was in breach of these laws.

The laws have been in place for over4yrs.... if you followed the supercars back in 2006 you missed all the talk by the commentators who discussed this subject for quite a while so fans would understand what was happening.

IT HAPPENED OVER 4YRS AGO.... last year they also blurred out images of adverts... and the year before that.... and the year before that...

The horse bolted.... write a letter to the broadcasting authority if its such a hassle now..

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2012, 12:13 AM   #90
MAD
Petro-sexual

Nothing blurred here..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BVwgtMVbDo