Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-06-2012, 05:12 PM   #61
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Default Re: EcoBoost G6E beats Merc E-Class and Audi A6 4cyls

So which genius thought it would be a good idea to advertise well after its launched?

Wouldnt logic say that you do it a week or two before? Give each dealer one so they can give test drives then start taking orders? I mean they did build it with research showing it was viable at some point
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2012, 05:15 PM   #62
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPFS1
I had discussions about this on inside, and the line I get is that they will limit production until they can see a swing in the perception issues of a 4cyl Falcon. So this tells us that they are aware of the challenges with a 4cyl Falcon and don't want to over produce until they think they will move them quick enough.

An ecoboost campaign will be commencing shortly, this week or next. Don't think it's the conventional TV type thing though.

i hope they train sales staff on how to promote them to . when i go into a dealership , i expect then to tell me why i would buy one , i dont want to speak to someone like myself , i'm not selling cars for a living .
when i viseted a ford dealership to see one recently , the salesman was a standout , he had the time to discuss the economy , and way it drove .
when i asked why i would buy one , and if anyone are buying them yet , his answer was , we dont know if they are going to sell , and we havent sold one yet .
of course he couldve said . HERES THE KEYS , take it for spin , i'll do up a price , and see you you when you get back for your free bottle of whine .
but i'm not expecting dealerships to actually want to sell cars , so i'll over look that ,
when i suggested , i wont buy one if they are the same price as a 6cly , he shrugged hes shoulders and agreed , than suggested when my lease is up on the xr6 , come and see him and trade up on a newer xr6 , your trade should cover the residual . cool i said , i'll catch ya later . ( NOT ) .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2012, 05:40 PM   #63
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well it sounds like he had the honesty you would want in a salesguy, just not the enthusiasm

1 out of 2 ?
Shonky. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2012, 06:03 PM   #64
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
OK TO TELL you the truth . i'm a little concerned at the $100 per week fuel bill in my XR6 , and also the $100 per week fuel bill in MY GT .
AS YOU KNOW THE XR6 IS LEASED , now when it comes off lease , i'm thinking of buying it , as the FBT laws Absolutely screw you over if you re lease your car .
I have found myself in this situation , i 1st leased a NEW XR6 , cause i could drive a brand new car for the cost of A 5 YEAR OLD 2ND HAND ONE , . NOW , to re lease it is like driving a 2nd hand car at the cost of a new one almost .
so either way , now the car is going to cost no matter what i do , so what do i do ? i can sell the car and LEASE ANOTHER BRAN NEWY , but hang on , the govt has changed FBT laws , so my payments will now go from currently , $240 PW NET , to $280 pw net . NOT REALLY MUCH CHEAPER THAN BYINT new car privately . NOW I DONT KNOW ABOUT OTHERS , BUT I'M RUNNING 2 CARS . paying $280 pw week indefinately for one car , isnt exactly my idea of a great life , infact its like a 2nd mortgage , so when one does something , they want to see long term benifits . in other words your car should get cheaper over time . sooo
. i'll have to cop the cost of buying the xr6 and then running it out for its life , but it will still cost atleast $100 per week , each and every week in petrol .
forget LPG . that's dead and buried now and sales statistics back that up .
leasing wont be far off .
so. really with economic options out there like cheaper cars and suv's with around 7 litres per hundred after paying less for the car , this makes people look for cheaper options.
the 4cyl falcon , believe it of not is going to be the only option , if ford wants to compete for price . , they are going to have to do better though paying the same price for the 4cyl as the 6 cyl people just wont cop .
perhaps if a 4cyl falcon costs less than the 6 in price , and then less to run in fuel , i would definately consider getting rid of my xr6 and replaceing with a new lease 4cyl falcon , if ford cant market this fact , when people can type it on a keyboard on a forum here who dont sell cars to buyers .
WE are the buyers , THEY HAD BETTER START SELLING THIER PRODUCT
Because the GOVT have done them NO favours .
Can't exactly blame the government.....

Private buyers have never purchased that many Falcons, and typically novated buyers are staying clear of them now too, and have been for some time, the changes to FBT haven't killed the Falcon, people are still buying cars....

The only ones buying Falcon's now is Hertz (rentals) and some government agencies, like state police. Theres a few companies like Boral who still buy them too but its not like they run 1,000's of them. Lease plan etc buy alot less then they use to because all the fleet operators wanted a 4 cylinder only policy. Now Ford has a 4 cylinder available but fleets have moved to other brands, like Toyota. The only way Ford will get these kinds of buyers back is to build a 4 cylinder Falcon at around 26 kay for them including onroads / stat costs (what they buy a 4 cylinder Camry for).

Perhaps Ford need to go this way instead of selling XR6's for 32 kay, bump the price of them back up and guts the XT pricing and really push XT EB4 (perhaps even delete XT 6 cylinder)> (something that they have not done since BA Mark 1 days). Ford dream't up the theory of converting all their fleet customers to XR6's to try and better the brand image of their cars, which pretty much shot them in the foot, especially with resale value etc. Toyota don't sell heaps of Camry's but 95% of them go to large fleet customers, that must tell Ford something.
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.

Last edited by Smoke Pursuit; 18-06-2012 at 06:09 PM.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2012, 06:28 PM   #65
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
I had discussions about this on inside, and the line I get is that they will limit production until they can see a swing in the perception issues of a 4cyl Falcon. So this tells us that they are aware of the challenges with a 4cyl Falcon and don't want to over produce until they think they will move them quick enough.

An ecoboost campaign will be commencing shortly, this week or next. Don't think it's the conventional TV type thing though.
Seems to me that they thought they could get away without advertising it, which has failed miserably, and they have now decided to try it. What a pack of geniuses. The reason they are building bugger all is because its not selling, due to a total lack of awareness of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
So which genius thought it would be a good idea to advertise well after its launched?

Wouldnt logic say that you do it a week or two before? Give each dealer one so they can give test drives then start taking orders? I mean they did build it with research showing it was viable at some point
They took the cheap option and thought it would sell itself. All aboard the fail boat.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2012, 06:44 PM   #66
gtfpv
GT

They took the cheap option and thought it would sell itself. All aboard the fail boat.[/QUOTE]

double fail , it isnt a cheap option if it isnt any cheaper .
Old 18-06-2012, 06:51 PM   #67
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 

I'm tending to agree with you bossxr8.

Management are very contradictory on the whole justification of ecoboost. It was a means to attract fleets back to the Falcon, but in the same breath, Graziano states they are turning their backs on the low profit fleet business.

One can only hope that there's a bigger story and justification behind the first large RWD EcoBoost Ford in the world!
JPFS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2012, 07:23 PM   #68
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:

Management are very contradictory on the whole justification of ecoboost. It was a means to attract fleets back to the Falcon, but in the same breath, Graziano states they are turning their backs on the low profit fleet business.

One can only hope that there's a bigger story and justification behind the first large RWD EcoBoost Ford in the world!
Definately seems like a contradiction. But the decision to fit Ecoboost was made a couple of years ago and things have changed since. If they had to make the decision now it wouldn't have happened.

Nothings working for them at the moment at all. Is it time for a total change of tack?
Old 18-06-2012, 07:30 PM   #69
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I'm glad they have something coming. TV would have been nice, but at this stage anything will do. If done properly non TV stuff can work very well too!!
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2012, 08:09 PM   #70
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:

Umm, who is exactly turning their backs on whom?

I think Graziano is trying to save face because fleets deserted Falcon long before the alleged pull out was contemplated..

Frankly, if they advertised the new Taurus here tomorrow, they would get more interest ..

Last edited by jpd80; 18-06-2012 at 08:25 PM.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2012, 08:40 PM   #71
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
Or maybe 99% of people don't give a fat rats *** which end the motor turns, I don't.

The problem Ford has, is their cars have a Ford badge on the front of them, they have a real negative perception because uncle Dave's twice removed gay cousin's 1988 EA Falcon blew a head gasket or something, and perception is what sells cars.

Buying a car doesn't involve logic, it involes emotion.
What about Aunty Agathas 1985 2-stroke Mazda 323? Brand history doesnt seem to mean squat to the average consumer anymore.

If the sales figures are anything to go by, a lot of buyers these days seem to buy emotionally under the guise of their fuzzy logic, thats for sure.

In summary, the EB4 Falcon is a magnificent car, the only problem it has is that its not a small hatch or an SUV thats under $25k.

/2c.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2012, 09:11 PM   #72
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
the 4cyl falcon , believe it of not is going to be the only option , if ford wants to compete for price . , they are going to have to do better though paying the same price for the 4cyl as the 6 cyl people just wont cop .
perhaps if a 4cyl falcon costs less than the 6 in price , and then less to run in fuel , i would definately consider getting rid of my xr6 and replaceing with a new lease 4cyl falcon , if ford cant market this fact , when people can type it on a keyboard on a forum here who dont sell cars to buyers .
Why should EcoBoost be sold for less when it is the more advanced and more fuel efficient engine, which is actually more expensive than the in-line six? Being able to get it for the same price as the six is a bonus.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2012, 09:25 PM   #73
Struggo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NX74205
Why should EcoBoost be sold for less when it is the more advanced and more fuel efficient engine, which is actually more expensive than the in-line six? Being able to get it for the same price as the six is a bonus.
It should be priced at what the market is welling to pay. It is clearly evident that the market is not interested in it at its current list price.

At the end of the day its just a 4 cylinder sedan among many.
Struggo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2012, 09:32 PM   #74
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
Umm, who is exactly turning their backs on whom?

I think Graziano is trying to save face because fleets deserted Falcon long before the alleged pull out was contemplated..

Frankly, if they advertised the new Taurus here tomorrow, they would get more interest ..
I dont care who they think they are selling the car to, or who will buy it you simply cannot release a car with no serious advertising.

Nothing for LPi or EB4. You go through all that effort to engineer the things and dont have anything lined up the day its released? You should be building things up before....its very very stupid.

No car these days will sell its self, and the ones that do are game changers (Gt86 comes to mind but thats limited supply anyway).

Internet adds dont count either, but I will admit prior to release they are good.

Ford seriously needs an encapsulating at about the company, where it is heading and what it has to offer because the public would have NFI about all the work that goes on here.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2012, 10:24 PM   #75
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Struggo
It should be priced at what the market is welling to pay. It is clearly evident that the market is not interested in it at its current list price.At the end of the day its just a 4 cylinder sedan among many.
The car has been on sale for 5-6 weeks with very little advertsing done for it & NO sales data released & you already saying the bold part?? Common on, give it up

We also have one person on here working in a Ford dealer saying he has sold all his allocted EB4 limited ed ones, but still has I6 ones to be sold!! Read into that what you will!!!
Old 18-06-2012, 10:40 PM   #76
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by NX74205

Perhaps the new LPI IS SUPERIOR ALSO is that outselling the I6. Anyone been to a plastic surgeon and paid more for smaller tits than bigger tits ?
Old 19-06-2012, 12:38 AM   #77
BaraFGXR6

Quote:
Perhaps the new LPI IS SUPERIOR ALSO is that outselling the I6. Anyone been to a plastic surgeon and paid more for smaller tits than bigger tits ?
Close family friend had a breast reduction as they were too big. Yes this can happen. This procedure is actually more expensive by a fair bit as they are actually removing tissue rather than adding crap. Less is sometimes more.
2012 Navara STX manual - sold.
2013 Focus ST - sold.
2015 XLS ranger auto - sold.
2017 VW Golf work car.. current..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline
I'm going to convert my turbo to NA, just to see your head explode.
BaraFGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2012, 02:24 PM   #78
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Said article, as this thread IS about IT (I've cut out the pictures sorry)

Old 19-06-2012, 03:05 PM   #79
WPR1

So where are the full page ads publishing this result!
WPR1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2012, 03:39 PM   #80
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPR1
So where are the full page ads publishing this result!
They have several pages of a magazine showing it.

Or do you want them to spend $squillions saying "Some journalists reckon our car is good so you should buy it"?
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2012, 05:35 PM   #81
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist

Or do you want them to spend $squillions saying "Some journalists reckon our car is good so you should buy it"?
They have in the past and this would be a good opportunity to do it again IMO.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2012, 06:21 PM   #82
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty85
What about Aunty Agathas 1985 2-stroke Mazda 323? Brand history doesnt seem to mean squat to the average consumer anymore.

If the sales figures are anything to go by, a lot of buyers these days seem to buy emotionally under the guise of their fuzzy logic, thats for sure.

In summary, the EB4 Falcon is a magnificent car, the only problem it has is that its not a small hatch or an SUV thats under $25k.

/2c.
I agree the EB4 Falcon is a good car, I didn't say it wasn't.

SUV, Hatch and dual cab 4x4 are the new popular choices, and Ford has an issue with supply on the last two.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2012, 06:40 PM   #83
superfly
Go the Hogster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuty
They have in the past and this would be a good opportunity to do it again IMO.
I agree.

Run an ad with all the good things said about it.
Old 19-06-2012, 07:02 PM   #84
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Struggo
It should be priced at what the market is welling to pay. It is clearly evident that the market is not interested in it at its current list price.

At the end of the day its just a 4 cylinder sedan among many.
The market isn't interested in it because 99% of them don't even know it exists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
The car has been on sale for 5-6 weeks with very little advertsing done for it & NO sales data released & you already saying the bold part?? Common on, give it up

We also have one person on here working in a Ford dealer saying he has sold all his allocted EB4 limited ed ones, but still has I6 ones to be sold!! Read into that what you will!!!
He's right though, building 4 a day for weeks now when Ford were expecting to do 20-25 a day, means its failed badly, hence why they now seem to have figured it needs to be advertised

Quote:
LPi makes up at least 25% of I6 builds, so its doing ok, its actually the only engine that has a waiting list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist

They have done it numerous times before, where they take quotes from reviews and ad them to their advertisements.
Old 19-06-2012, 07:30 PM   #85
falcodore
Starter Motor

The FG Falcons are such world class cars. It's such a shame that:

A: The AU destroyed the Falcon's rep.
B: It's a so called "taxi" and because of that no one wants it.
C: Associated with hooliganism. Which is ********.

With a severely limited budget compared to the global market, we produce the best bang for buck. If the Germans could only spend what we spend, I doubt they'd produce something better.
falcodore is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2012, 09:28 PM   #86
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
The market isn't interested in it because 99% of them don't even know it exists.

He's right though, building 4 a day for weeks now when Ford were expecting to do 20-25 a day, means its failed badly, hence why they now seem to have figured it needs to be advertised

LPi makes up at least 25% of I6 builds, so its doing ok, its actually the only engine that has a waiting list.

They have done it numerous times before, where they take quotes from reviews and ad them to their advertisements.
I don’t agree with 20-25 day as the target per day. They said they were excepting to sell 250 each month. So, 250/4.2 weeks/ 5 days = 12 per day.. Whilst 4 is crap, I still think it is way too early to call it "failed". Especially when you consider no advertising has been done for it. It might have been a different story if Ford did a massive amount of advertising for it.

With regards to LPI.. It has taken 12 months to get to that stage (thanks to Ford no advertising policy). Most on here were calling LPI "fail" about 6 months ago...
Old 19-06-2012, 09:51 PM   #87
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Was the engine in vid turning the right way ??
Seemed to turning anti-clock ???
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2012, 10:40 AM   #88
Rodge
Banned

Why this comparison didn't include the new 3 series BMW is anyone's guess ??. I'm thinking the new 2.0 litre direct injected turbo BMW 328 with its 180 KW and 350 nm's from 1,250-5,000 revs with its 0-100 of 6.1 seconds and its remarable fuel efficiency of 6.3 L/100 km's, near perfect 50-50 weight distrubution, adaptive suspension, 8 speed ZF and so on... and with a dry weight of only 1,455 kg's would have cleaned the clock of everything else there quite easily.

All sorts of trick gear on the options list too including high end 16 speaker Harmon Kardon audio, adaptive cruise control, blind spot, lane departure e.t.c. basically almost anything you could possibly want to option in.
Very interesting and impressive vehicle this new 328...There appears to be good reasons there's a wait list of several months.

Last edited by Rodge; 20-06-2012 at 10:52 AM.
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2012, 10:51 AM   #89
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

The 3 Series isn't in the family size sedan segment. Otherwise it would have been an A4, C Class, 3 Series and Mondeo comparison.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2012, 10:57 AM   #90
Rodge
Banned

With each model change its grown. From the spec sheet I think I recall its 1866 mm wide, almost the same width as the Mondeo which interestingly is slightly wider than the Falcon !!

I think what's previously been regarded as a small and / or medium car is getting very confusing for customers.
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post