Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-02-2010, 09:37 AM   #61
LTDterri
SY TS Territory

Sorry Gents but I enjoyed the first hour, the second was a disappointment as it was the Winter Olympic Special so I flicked to 31 watched Gasolene at 8.30 and Classic Resto's at 9.00pm can't beat Fletch
LTDterri is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2010, 09:47 AM   #62
Whitey Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippytaka
call me crazy, but Top Gear only angers and bores me. Destroying supercars is not funny or cool... it's disrespect. And then the challenges are just narcissistic! Sorry, give me Tiff and 5th Gear any day... real drivers, real tests.
You are confusing Top Gear with a car show. It is an entertainment show.
Whitey Ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2010, 09:54 AM   #63
04redxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey Ford
You are confusing Top Gear with a car show. It is an entertainment show.
Unles they are filming in America. Then it is a Documentary show.
04redxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2010, 10:13 AM   #64
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04redxr8
Unles they are filming in America. Then it is a Documentary show.
Yes but so "King of the Hill".......
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2010, 10:46 PM   #65
gocruzin
Ford tragic

just got the full epp from itunes for 2.99 not too bad but i will be looking into final gear
Old 21-02-2010, 11:10 PM   #66
Bossxr8
Peter Car

I don't understand why they just don't run the full episode over an hour and a half. They will still get all their ads in. Why slash it down to run for just an hour.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2010, 11:38 AM   #67
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippytaka
Sorry, give me Tiff and 5th Gear any day... real drivers, real tests.
but 5th gear love everything. they might point out a few problems, but i've never seen them bag a vehicle to the point of saying 'don't buy one' like jeremy does. top-gear challenges definitely are contrived, tho, i give you that.

i really wish top gear would get rid of James May. they've got Jeremy as the 'gentleman racer' and Hammond as the 'boy racer', May is just a slow copy of jezza. maybe they should pinch that chick from 5th just to spice things up a bit...
aussie muscle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2010, 12:32 PM   #68
BOSHOG
avenge me

i think the show would really suffer if they lost James May and his dry humour
Old 22-02-2010, 12:38 PM   #69
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle
i really wish top gear would get rid of James May. they've got Jeremy as the 'gentleman racer' and Hammond as the 'boy racer', May is just a slow copy of jezza. maybe they should pinch that chick from 5th just to spice things up a bit...
I disagree, Clarkson is the aging closet hoon/bufoon, (think Tim "The Toolman" Taylor), Hammond is the (not so clever) clever dick and James May is basically the anti hoon and straight man/egg head to Clarkson and Hammond. I don't think you could stick a woman into the mix with Clarkson and Hammond, there's too much juvenile testosterone there, she'd be slapping Clarkson every week for some off coloured joke or other that'd fall out of his mouth. I think they got the mix right after season 1 when they got rid of that heavy set Jason bloke who I think was supposed to be the "common man" touch. He had no personality or carisma and was boring as chit. It's the dynamic between the 3 guys that makes the show the success it is.

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2010, 02:53 PM   #70
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSHOG
i think the show would really suffer if they lost James May and his dry humour
+1

James May is a very smart man, he can also drive a car,( Bugatti wouldn't let just anyone do a top speed run in a Veyron ) something that isn't shown on the show much as he IS the straight guy of the trio.

I love this bit about one of his previous jobs.

Dismissal from Autocar magazine
James May's hidden message

In an interview with Richard Allinson on BBC Radio 2,[13] May confessed that he was fired in 1992 from Autocar magazine after putting together a hidden message or acrostic in one issue. At the end of the year, the magazine's "Road Test Year Book" supplement was published. Each spread featured four reviews and each review started with a large, red letter (known in typography as an initial). May's role was to put the entire supplement together, which "was extremely boring and took several months". He went on to say:

So I had this idea that if I re-edited the beginnings of all the little texts, I could make these red letters spell out a message through the magazine, which I thought was brilliant. I can't remember exactly what it said, but it was to the effect that "You might think this is a really great thing, but if you were sitting here making it up you'd realise it's a real pain in the ****". It took me about two months to do it and on the day that it came out I'd actually forgotten that I'd done it because there's a bit of a gap between it being "put to bed" and coming out on the shelves. When I arrived at work that morning everybody was looking at their shoes and I was summoned to the managing director of the company's office. The thing had come out and nobody at work had spotted what I'd done because I'd made the words work around the pages so you never saw a whole word. But all the readers had seen it and they'd written in thinking they'd won a prize or a car or something.

May's original message, punctuated appropriately, reads: "So you think it's really good, yeah? You should try making the bloody thing up. It's a real pain in the ****."[

And as for Vicki Butler-Henderson(from 5th gear) she would have to be the most irritating woman that has been on TV. I would stop watching Top Gear if she were on the show.

But then again it is possible that she turn up there as her husband has Directed quite a few episodes of Top Gear.
The G6ET Spot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2010, 03:00 PM   #71
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thank you Dave! finally someone else realises that VBH is annoying as hell!!!
Old 22-02-2010, 03:30 PM   #72
Chopped
as in chopped

Hey leave Vicky alone .....She is my mistress !
Old 22-02-2010, 04:07 PM   #73
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

all yours mate..

when she laughs a baby dies
Old 22-02-2010, 04:15 PM   #74
1970XW351
Angry Dub Driver

I was just peeved because ch9 is the worst channel I get, kept dropping out and going all garbled.... Oh and the fact I've seen the winter olympics special umpteen times before didn't help either...
1970XW351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2010, 05:49 PM   #75
Neeek
65 Galaxie Hardtop

The trio work well togather, IMO. Leave it be.

And I got so narked by Channel 9's "broadcast", that I've finally done the decent thing and got it from finalgear.com. Having watched episode 1 of the new series (the full version) I'm not surprised people are grumbling. When episode 2 airs this week on 9, I'll be plugging my laptop into my TV and watching the full version, thanks.

And did anyone have a good read of the comments on Channel 9's website? You can count the happy viewers on one hand, and there's about 400 comments there... surprised they haven't taken the page down!

Neeek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2010, 08:31 PM   #76
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

just checked the channel nine website 400 comments and I counted 6 that were happy with what nein aired for the record I submitted a scathing assault on that website over the total amateur hack job that somebody performed on this great show - the center of my argument was based around how badly nein destroyed a winning formula you don't see coke changing their formula or chopping bits out people would go off tap cadbury anybody? ring a bell I drew comparisons to this and the public backlash over some cocoa butter and palm oil the Australian public went nuts.

I can but wonder how many comments to that site were so scathing or downright nasty and/or brutal that they didn't make the cut. I bet every positive one was written by a nein staffer and shoved in there to give their - hm tailpipe stuffing acceptance.

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2010, 10:09 PM   #77
Bossxr8
Peter Car

I posted a comment that they did a total hatchet job on TG, and that its no wonder Ch 7 continually spanks them in ratings. That would hurt.

Thats if anyone actually reads them of course.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2010, 11:45 AM   #78
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Its shocking how much is missing from the BBCs 'international package' that networks like 9 buy.

The first epsiode of TG on 9 lost:

The middle of the Bana interview
The News disappeared save for May's segway into his story about the BMW 7 Series (some of that story disappeared too)
Some of May driving the Romanian hatch during the Romanian adventure

There may have been more but I didn't bother to check the rest of the cut down.
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2010, 11:49 AM   #79
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
I posted a comment that they did a total hatchet job on TG, and that its no wonder Ch 7 continually spanks them in ratings. That would hurt.

Thats if anyone actually reads them of course.
It will only hurt if they start losing the ratings for that timeslot. Otherwise they couldn't give a rats whet people wrote on the website.

Until they stop watching the show that is. But I can;t see them losing too much over the space of 7 episodes
The G6ET Spot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2010, 06:13 PM   #80
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have voted with my feet already channel nein has been oblitterated from my STB IT CANT BE WATCHED in my house at all. drastic measure but they are so crap and as for mr "right after this" mcguire he can get stuffed too I hate that guy absolutely. sorry wandering.

yes channel nein has been removed from my STB so I dont see any of their shyte at all no commercials or anything. I am angry as heck that they destroyed a great show with a winning formula how hard is it to play an episode in FULL and not bullcrap ""2 hour season premiere" which implies 100% new footage when we got a hack and smash job on the show and some old winter olympics stuff that is cool yes but has massive chunks omitted which is not cool.

I am certain they used the show to pull ratings and to slam as many commercials down our throats as humanly possible - and I would bet those advertisers paid handsomely to be advertising during top gear too.

It is possible that they have heard the outcry and will air the show properly after the "cricket" is it? We can only hope.

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2010, 09:18 PM   #81
Thunder
I.B.S is a pain in d'***

Pardon my ignorance guys, but isn't Top Gear supposed to be on channel9 Tuesdays at 7:30? Sydney has the cricket on and then the winter Olympics. Am i losing the plot or have i missed something?
Old 23-02-2010, 09:18 PM   #82
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

No, you're not missing anything. Top Gear was bumped for the cricket and Olympics.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2010, 09:32 PM   #83
Thunder
I.B.S is a pain in d'***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathers
No, you're not missing anything. Top Gear was bumped for the cricket and Olympics.
You mean to tell me that, in ALL of channel 9's infinite wisdom, that running 1 episode then taking a break, was a great idea?

I could explode right now. Its my first Tuesday night off, and i was excited because i missed last weeks episode!

Arrrgggg!
Old 23-02-2010, 10:38 PM   #84
waggaclint
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder
Pardon my ignorance guys, but isn't Top Gear supposed to be on channel9 Tuesdays at 7:30? Sydney has the cricket on and then the winter Olympics. Am i losing the plot or have i missed something?
Yeah the bloody cricket is on in perth too, bring back SBS i say...
waggaclint is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2010, 12:41 AM   #85
ChemicalHorizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by waggaclint
Yeah the bloody cricket is on in perth too, bring back SBS i say...
Freakin housemate took over the tv to watch cricket....then i realised tehre was nothing else on and started trawling forums. Hooray pointless posting
ChemicalHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2010, 01:22 AM   #86
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Join this group on facebook .

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Channe...1047714?ref=mf
I just made it . Because im bored and have to much time on my hands.
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2010, 09:05 AM   #87
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Only one week in and channel 9 has treated its viewers with contempt.
Just like the formula 1 which was always relegated to last screening even behind infomercials, channel 9 upsets the regular viewer for their own brand of incestuous self promotion. Despite the fact that cricket has a snore rating of over 300 (out of a possible 301), they persist with interrupting regular viewing for what is arguably the most boring sport around today (from a viewers standpoint).

Meanwhile, SBS should have kept top gear as atleast we got to see more of the program as well as re-runs when the show wasn't on in the UK.

I think I'll start an online petition for a new 20 to 1; "20 to 1 reasons why channel 9 suck major shaft" - Bert can host it infact, he can be in the top 10 of the reasons. Then they can dole out all of their "celebrities" (sic) and sit around in an orgy of arrogance and self promotion. Actually, narrowing down why channel 9 suck will take more than 20 to 1, it would have to be a week long special of 2000 to 1 reasons.

Quote: