Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-02-2009, 10:29 AM   #61
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiery
This is intriguing as I always thought that was the case until I had an official letter sent to me stating I had 1 point left and if I was caught parking incorrectly, speeding or didn't vote I would lose that point and have the options of taking a licence suspension or keep 1 point for 12 months - good behaviour.

This had me a little confused, but figured if I really behaved I would be fine.

Received my letter 2 weeks ago saying thank you for paying my fines and all my points have been reallocated due to the time frame they were removed.
KEN is quite correct, you 'gain' demerit points, you don't 'lose' them.

Now an RTA letter might, in your example, say you have 'a single demerit point left', that simply means you have a single vacancy left and if you GAIN a demerit point (by for example driving like a miserable cow), then kapow, off to jail you'll go.

Didn't vote? (and risk gaining a demerit or more for this) - LOL, show me the letter and I'll get you an official apology (NSW) and clarification.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2009, 10:33 AM   #62
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepleft
KEN is quite correct, you 'gain' demerit points, you don't 'lose' them.
Didn't mean he wasn't

Quote:
Now an RTA letter might, in your example, say you have 'a single demerit point left', that simply means you have a single vacancy left and if you GAIN a demerit point, then kapow, off to jail you'll go.
They never said anything about jail :
I basically would have been offered the options outlined.

Quote:
Didn't vote? (and risk gaining a demerit or more) - LOL, show me the letter and I'll get you an official apology (NSW) and clarification.
I have been fined 3 times for failing to vote, they only removed one fine as I could prove I wasn't in that particular area at the time (had moved house a year prior).
This is in QLD by the way and I wouldn't have a clue which box the letter is sitting in (preparing to move house) but thanks for the offer anyway
fiery is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2009, 11:04 AM   #63
dave289
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by xy500
the same could be said for you
At times I would have to agree.
dave289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2009, 08:09 AM   #64
Rob's 76 Effy
Lion Tammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by james22
Yes but when you pay the fine, it gets backdated to when the offence was commited.

So think about it..... Regardles of when you pay the fine, even if you try to "upgrade" your license, your screwed
Arh no your not, i was on a restricted licence and got caught doing 111kph in a 100 zone on a freeway (Truck), anyway the copper looked at my licence and then told me not to pay it as i was due to have my full brief back in a few weeks, he told me to wait for the reminder notice and pay that one, did this and nothing happened only lost points on full licence :
"When you push a car past 180mph, the world starts to get awfully fuzzy. When you go past 200mph it actually blurs. The Bugatti Veyron is mind-blowingly, stunningly brilliant. It deserves 12 stars. Simply as good and as fast as it gets"
Don't drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly
Rob's 76 Effy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2009, 09:53 AM   #65
GT450
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Now you come clean and tell us he caught you whilst mobile well within the speed zone, you are doing 38kmh over the limit and you want to know if you can possibly keep your licence because you are almost on a full unrestrited one. Well welcome to the real world no one gets away with that sort of speed in a built up area without licence suspension and rightly so. It's called safety something that you obviously were ( are) oblivious to. You probably will now have to wear your Ps for a while longer when (if ) you get them back and rightly so. Only one person to blame here and it was not the copper.
Cheers
GT450
GT450 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2009, 10:20 AM   #66
S_M_I_D_D_Y

can you not read? who said anything about a built up area? it was on a HIGHWAY with TREES all around. not houses, not side streets etc for quite a while after where i got fined. anyway, i get it, as IVE ALREADY SAID, i know im screwed, and thanks for all those who havnt been wits about this
S_M_I_D_D_Y is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2009, 11:37 AM   #67
ehast13
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A 50k zone on the Highway. No houses, just trees? Were there roadworks? Koala's crossing? Pedestrain Council of Australia Annual General Meeting?
ehast13 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2009, 11:56 AM   #68
S_M_I_D_D_Y

another k up the road? i would have had plenty of time to be doing the speed limit before i got there. topic over please lock somebody
S_M_I_D_D_Y is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2009, 01:10 PM   #69
hdj80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
Since when do speed zones go from 100 to 50 ?

It must have had an 70 or 80 zone in between.
Not always in NSW. They are shockers for transition from open highway limit to town speed in one step. Never been done down there myself but then I try and stay out of NSW as much as possible - fly to Melbourne and drive around NSW to the rest of Aus
hdj80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2009, 01:21 PM   #70
GT450
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Fully agree ehast13. Didn't get the support you wanted now you want the thread locked Smiddy? Stiff.
GT450
GT450 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2009, 01:35 PM   #71
SM1DY
LIKE A BOSS 351

Yeh, I reckon it should be locked as well. He was speeding, he got caught, there's no loopholes to get around losing his license, GAME OVER!
SM1DY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2009, 06:40 PM   #72
platinumXR
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter.

Amazing how quickly it gets off topic until someone gives the answer then KAPOW...nothing changes... :

I know you are copping it and i'm not here about that. Lesson learned, well done - move on and ignore them.

The 'Roach should have explained it to you on the side of the road but as others have said if in doubt call the RTA and ask.

There's differing procedures, legislations and plenty of myths that vary from state to state so receiving advice about WA traffic laws is pointless if it happened in ACT...I know you should have got a pragmatic response on this forum but for matters RTA related...next time ask the RTA. It will be quicker and less painful eh?

By the way speed zones in NSW do actually start AT THE SIGN...not within XX metres as per various myths and fairytales.

Not directed at you S_M_I_D_D_Y but if anyone else out there feels there are not enough flashing amber lights and 45 or 46 WARNING - HERE COME DE SPEED ZONE CHANGE or HERE BE DRAGONS signs...consult your local council and yell at the Chief Roadworks Engineer as he puts them up, not the cops.

I've been driving for only 22 years and I've seen every single one of them...even the ones I got booked for speeding in :sm_drool:

Toys:
2017.5 LZ Focus RS, Magnetic Grey my new pocket rocket
2008 BF2 RTV Ute
1993 EB2 S-XR8 Sedan, Platinum, manual (now sold)
1975 XB Fairmont GS Sedan, Tropic Gold...or Starlight Blue...not sure yet...(SOLD)
platinumXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2009, 07:33 PM   #73
devilcv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer_Me
Arh no your not, i was on a restricted licence and got caught doing 111kph in a 100 zone on a freeway (Truck), anyway the copper looked at my licence and then told me not to pay it as i was due to have my full brief back in a few weeks, he told me to wait for the reminder notice and pay that one, did this and nothing happened only lost points on full licence :
that loophole has now been closed in NSW. the point are counted as of the offence date and if you are over your limit, be it 12 or less for P plater, then loss of license occurs.
devilcv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2009, 12:13 AM   #74
Flaming Mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by platinumXR
By the way speed zones in NSW do actually start AT THE SIGN...not within XX metres as per various myths and fairytales.
I don’t think you will find that anyone said a speed zone doesn’t start until XX metres inside a speed zone. What I did say was that as official police policy, speed enforcement is not practiced within XX metres inside a change of speed zone.

However you state that this is myth and fairytale and does not apply in NSW.

Internal police policy is somewhat difficult to locate on the internet, but below is quote and link from a newspaper report on the pedestrian council NSW urging for more speed enforcement within school zones that covers this issue;

But even if a 40km/h zone is placed outside the school, the NSW police are powerless to enforce the speed limit. Mr Brad Hazzard, chairman of Staysafe, the Parliamentary Joint Standing Committee on Road Safety, said that under a - Commissioner’s Direction, police can’t operate down-the-line radar units, slant radar units or speed cameras within 200 metres of a speed change — and most school zones are not long enough.”

http://www.walk.com.au/pedestriancou...D=189&SiteID=1

I believe that school zones in NSW are now exempt from this 200 metre policy provided authorisation for enforcement has been given by a senior officer.

As a certified operator of police handheld and mobile radar in a previous life, I was also given these same directions. A “Commissioner’s Direction” is not a friendly suggestion, not subject to any compromise, and it is certainly not myth and fairytale.
Flaming Mo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2009, 12:41 AM   #75
Ross-b
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by james22
Yes but when you pay the fine, it gets backdated to when the offence was commited.

So think about it..... Regardles of when you pay the fine, even if you try to "upgrade" your license, your screwed
accumulating points can be delayed untill youve upgraded ur licecence

not in this case tho

rta clearly states 30 over for anyone is loss for 3 months

Last edited by Ross-b; 28-02-2009 at 12:51 AM.
Ross-b is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2009, 11:25 AM   #76
platinumXR
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaming Mo
I don’t think you will find that anyone said a speed zone doesn’t start until XX metres inside a speed zone. What I did say was that as official police policy, speed enforcement is not practiced within XX metres inside a change of speed zone.

However you state that this is myth and fairytale and does not apply in NSW.

Internal police policy is somewhat difficult to locate on the internet, but below is quote and link from a newspaper report on the pedestrian council NSW urging for more speed enforcement within school zones that covers this issue;

But even if a 40km/h zone is placed outside the school, the NSW police are powerless to enforce the speed limit. Mr Brad Hazzard, chairman of Staysafe, the Parliamentary Joint Standing Committee on Road Safety, said that under a - Commissioner’s Direction, police can’t operate down-the-line radar units, slant radar units or speed cameras within 200 metres of a speed change — and most school zones are not long enough.”

http://www.walk.com.au/pedestriancou...D=189&SiteID=1

I believe that school zones in NSW are now exempt from this 200 metre policy provided authorisation for enforcement has been given by a senior officer.

As a certified operator of police handheld and mobile radar in a previous life, I was also given these same directions. A “Commissioner’s Direction” is not a friendly suggestion, not subject to any compromise, and it is certainly not myth and fairytale.
No...with respect...what I'm saying is that the speed zone starts at the sign and there is no 100 metre, 200 metre, 50 metre or any metre "no mans land" either side of them that you can't get booked in.

LIDAR and other are subject to location inspection to fit certain criteria including OHAS, safe stopping etc regardless of how far up or down the road from the sign they are. Site inspection policy changes from month to month...AND that this policy can be VERY different from state to state.

In NSW there are distances for Vehicle Selection Procedures, Selection Zones, Deceleration Zones etc which dictate where the operator can be placed inside the speed zone regardless of LIDAR, Slant, Mobile (Eagle) etc. and this affects how far away from the speed zone sign the police are.

The speed zone starts at the sign.

We all seem to be complicating the issue by offering myth and tale from yore that "well my cousins uncles mothers brothers budgies owners sons mothers husbands mate down the pub said his uncle who used to be a cop in 1989 in Tasmania said he thought that in NSW blah blah blah..." and not going to the source or "the horses mouth" so to speak...and you end up with Chinese Whispers and poor S_M_I_D_D_Y gets bombarded with Mr. Bruce style tyrades on "When I was a young fella our Sulkie's wouldn't go over 16 miles an hour...these kid's....waffle waffle..."

I understand that forums are for advice and opinions but some offered is like for example: someone getting on the forum asking if anyone has a particular type of wheel for sale....some guy gets on and says "yeah I got 5, but they're not for sale"...what was the point?

Don't always take the NSWPC or what any chook (reporter) says as gospel either, they often get misinformed too.

Nuff said.

Toys:
2017.5 LZ Focus RS, Magnetic Grey my new pocket rocket
2008 BF2 RTV Ute
1993 EB2 S-XR8 Sedan, Platinum, manual (now sold)
1975 XB Fairmont GS Sedan, Tropic Gold...or Starlight Blue...not sure yet...(SOLD)
platinumXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2009, 11:40 AM   #77
big_waity
Windsor Man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_M_I_D_D_Y
hmm he didn't say anything about that, just the fine and 4 points. sure hope not. whats really annoying, is that he let the loaded semi trailer in front of me go and booked me, whats more dangerous a semi doing 40 over or a ba ute slowing to the limit?
I agree to a point but flip that to think of it this way:
What is more dangerous, a proffesional driver doing 40 over or a p-plater who is really still learning?
Old 28-02-2009, 03:18 PM   #78
devilcv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross-b
accumulating points can be delayed untill youve upgraded ur licecence

not in this case tho

rta clearly states 30 over for anyone is loss for 3 months
actually he is going to cop both the 3 month loss for exceeding 30 and another 3 points for exceeding his points. the loophole of delaying points has been closed in NSW.
devilcv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post