Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-02-2009, 12:09 AM   #61
Bossxr8
Peter Car

It would make sense if the 4 cylinder was dropped along with the V6, as for the 6 cylinder to remain viable it needs enough volume to keep it going, if buyers choose another engine over the 6 and production numbers of them drop low enough it will mean the engine plant will run at a loss. God knows things are hard enough for us at the moment without having other engines to compete with.

In saying that though I thought the Ecoboost 4 cylinder would have been excellent for Ford to sell as an economical, environmentally friendly variant. Would have made good power too, over 200 kw.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2009, 12:33 AM   #62
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
It would make sense if the 4 cylinder was dropped along with the V6, as for the 6 cylinder to remain viable it needs enough volume to keep it going, if buyers choose another engine over the 6 and production numbers of them drop low enough it will mean the engine plant will run at a loss. God knows things are hard enough for us at the moment without having other engines to compete with.

In saying that though I thought the Ecoboost 4 cylinder would have been excellent for Ford to sell as an economical, environmentally friendly variant. Would have made good power too, over 200 kw.
Which is why we should fight tooth and nail to build the 4cyl here..........

If we plan to make 40,000 Focus cars a year then all of a sudden a 4cyl production line does not sound so stupid. And by rights we should receive money off K Rudd for building "Green" motors here in Australia.
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2009, 12:40 AM   #63
schnoods
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
Exactly...

Did the starfire harm the comodore...?
No but it did defeat the purpose of being in there.... Fuel economy went down instead of up as the driver had to thrash the car to keep up with traffic..

But the merit was there. It was only there for a short while, the VH had canned it.

95 EF XR8, Advance headers, Vortech V2 t trim blower, Ported Cobra Manifold, Capa Switch Chip Eliminator. 307 rwhp 395 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105mph

Now NA- AFR 165 heads, 1.6RR, Ported Cobra 269rwhp 14.2 ... needs stall and 4.11's

1977 CL Chrysler Panel Van, 360, 727 torqueflite auto soon to be restored.
schnoods is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2009, 03:57 AM   #64
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

At the Detroit Auto Show Ford unveiled the Lincoln "C concept car, a C class (compact) sized car. Thinking outside of the box I suppose. It had a 1.6L EcoBoost engine that made 180 HP and ft. lbs of torque and gets 43 MPG, as tested.

I don't know what the fuel mileage on the larger 4 cylinder EcoBoost engine is like yet.

I was told by the Ford "engine man" that the EcoBoost engine is going to vastly improve Ford's carbon footprint, which seems to be a bigger concern than we would think, whether due to company image or government mandates.

Most Toyotas sold in the US are FWD. Toyota sold a few more cars in the US than GM did this past year. So as far as being able to sell RWD cars here, I would say they are quite the minority. Also as many have said, a lot of people have no clue if their car is FWD or RWD.....or even know what that means.

Try telling someone "Yeah, it's got 350 HP" and then say "...it's a V6".....and see if they say "Oh? If it's a 6 I don't want it then." I don't think that will happen too many times, especially after they get behind the wheel and push the pedal.

Same thing with the 6 cylinder crowd. If you tell them "Yeah, it's got 240 HP" and then say "....it's a 4 banger..." I think they will be more amazed than turned off.

It's the 80's again........but not the 80's. It's a return to smaller, lighter fuel efficient cars, but not with the dog engines, and there will still be larger vehicles as well.

Steve

My XB Interceptor project

Wife's 1966 Mustang

My Artworks and Creative Projects Site
Oil Paintings, Airbrushing, Metal Sculpture,
Custom Cars, Replica Movie Props, Videos,
and more!
Ohio XB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2009, 05:35 AM   #65
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's not the 80s we are right at the edge of the combustion engines useful life as the primary power source in cars. Very powerful electric motors and good batterys are well on the way, they weren't in the 80s. Anyone that's seen in the last year or so how a brushless/Lipo powered RC car can destroy a 30,000 rpm Nitro 2 stoke will have seen the light, the tech will upscale well, it's only time.

In the meantime Ford has allready layed the master stroke by planing to send the new Focus and Fiesta world wide, my wife has he new Fiesta and it's very _right_now_, no sensible person would choose a Falcon over it even for the same money. Anyone that drives one around for a while would say the same, it one European car of the year outright and the small car class the other day.

Ford will do well and get out of it's hole no problems on those 2 cars alone. The Falcon and Commodore and anything else over 1300 kgs are good as gone, it's only a matter of time, sales will continue to drop if not on fuel consumption worries then carbon emmisions alone. Europeans are buying cars depending on how low the emmisions are allready and we will follow (just takes longer for us to catch on) and a bit longer again for the even slower Americanos. I love my RWD V8s as much as the next guy but the time for them really is over gone finished finito vamanos, the end

P.S as for the question of what Ford and Holden would have to do to make me buy one of their cars?, a couple of years ago I made a post about the same thing and said anything over 1400 kgs is rubbish and history, I nearly got laughed off the forum :p. Times have changed pretty quick. There's no reason Holden or Ford AU can't make a 1300kg something rwd Hatchback with 200kw, will they? no. Will they fail if they keep building 1700-2000kg oil tankers on wheels? yes

Last edited by greenfoam; 20-02-2009 at 05:47 AM.
greenfoam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2009, 09:15 AM   #66
Jayden
Graphic Artist

I would rather see the falcon line axed than converted to camry spec.

I love its history and RWD too much, and the sound of the i6 is far nicer than any 4cyl.
Old 20-02-2009, 10:32 AM   #67
andrewr

You can't compare an engine such as the allalloy 2.3L duratec to crappy old commodore engines. These engines are great and make a lot of power ofr their size (160hp std). They also have lots of potential for modification.
andrewr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2009, 11:16 AM   #68
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

If Falcon is to get a 4 cylinder and or go FWD then just can it and be done! If it's going to change from what is always has been, retire it off and start fresh. At least if the Falcon is killed off after 2013, I can live forever knowing that the Falcon never had a gay V6 or 4 cylinder put in it, and it was never made into a mid sized FWD POS. It will become and collectors item to enthusiasts, more so obviously, the performance variants. I can buy an F6 and a T3, and whilst pottering around in my ecoboost family hack, can reminisce about the good old days when real cars existed.
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2009, 11:26 AM   #69
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

A well sorted turbo 4 or V6 in fwd can be fine..BUT up to now Aussie has loved the low rpm torque of its motors..
Add a turbo with good management it should be fine..
The worry is reliability!!
Ford at times trip over themselves in this dept ..
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2009, 12:02 PM   #70
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
I'd rather see 130kw/420Nm TD 3L similar to the Navara
I was thinking more along the lines of Mitsubishi Pajero's 140kw and 441nm 3.2l turbo diesel engine. A great performer, very torquey and excellent on fuel.

The European manufacturers especially have common rail turbo diesel engines nailed, producing powerful, torquey and extremely fuel efficient engines in their passenger vehicles. Performance of a TDCi engine can almost be matched to a petrol powered engine.

It's a no brainer for a heavy vehicle to have a TDCi engine option.

Those that mention Holden's starfire engine and Ford's 3.2l EA engine must be on a different planet. Engine design, computing power, fuel standards have completely changed since then.
Old 20-02-2009, 12:06 PM   #71
Cappy_Hamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenfoam
In the meantime Ford has allready layed the master stroke by planing to send the new Focus and Fiesta world wide, my wife has he new Fiesta and it's very _right_now_, no sensible person would choose a Falcon over it even for the same money. Anyone that drives one around for a while would say the same, it one European car of the year outright and the small car class the other day.
Are you seriously comparing a Focus and Fiesta against a Falcon? : I drove a Fiesta at work for a day (did around 200ks) and my mum has a Focus. I have driven a few BA's and BF's and own a ED and a Magna. I would rather drive my ED than any Focus, Fiesta or Magna purely for the comfort and room inside. Not to mention the torque steer the Magna suffers from and the feeling of Sardines in the Focus and Fiesta.

Cappy_Hamper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2009, 12:51 PM   #72
bd737

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy_Hamper
Are you seriously comparing a Focus and Fiesta against a Falcon? : I drove a Fiesta at work for a day (did around 200ks) and my mum has a Focus. I have driven a few BA's and BF's and own a ED and a Magna. I would rather drive my ED than any Focus, Fiesta or Magna purely for the comfort and room inside. Not to mention the torque steer the Magna suffers from and the feeling of Sardines in the Focus and Fiesta.
I can't stand the smugness of some small car drivers, especially the diesel driving ones. Just wait till our full-sized 'oil burners' get Duratec turbo-petrols in them - the days of needing a girly little lightweight hatchback for great economy will be gone.

(Not that our dinosaur oil burners are that bad! 10.0l/100km in my BF, 12.5 on gas)
Old 20-02-2009, 01:13 PM   #73
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVS Super Pursuit
I was thinking more along the lines of Mitsubishi Pajero's 140kw and 441nm 3.2l turbo diesel engine. A great performer, very torquey and excellent on fuel.

The European manufacturers especially have common rail turbo diesel engines nailed, producing powerful, torquey and extremely fuel efficient engines in their passenger vehicles. Performance of a TDCi engine can almost be matched to a petrol powered engine.

It's a no brainer for a heavy vehicle to have a TDCi engine option.

Those that mention Holden's starfire engine and Ford's 3.2l EA engine must be on a different planet. Engine design, computing power, fuel standards have completely changed since then.
Yep, that sort of power I could live with in a Falcon TDi

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2009, 01:38 PM   #74
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
no sensible person would choose a Falcon over it even for the same money.
Try driving 1000klm in the middle of summer towing a trailer and see how 'sensible' it is then.
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2009, 03:45 PM   #75
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You guys are missing the point, Not enough people want large rwd sedans for them to be a viable manufacturing option anymore. We can scream as much as we want but at the end of the day we aren't buying enough of them. We are the minority and the eco hippies in Corolla's and Camry's are the majority. Majority always wins.........
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2009, 04:11 PM   #76
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Would a 4pot mower given away with each Territory meet this requirement ?
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2009, 04:37 PM   #77
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Everyone on this forum seems to be screaming and kicking.... "i don't want it, wahhhh, waaaaahhhhhh!!!" But when it comes out they will be raving about how good it actually is, and how they wish they to own it. You know when the car magazines report "it actually does get 6L per 100km and does 0-100 in 7 seconds, still has the feel of a 4 litre six cylinder, and is the size of any other Falcon, and it's still RWD" Couple the EcoBoost with a DSG style transmission (no torque convertor), the fuel economy difference should be significant.

The 3.5L V6 EcoBoost has 260kw/475Nm, and if that made it to the Falcon, it would get better economy than the standard N/A six cylinder. The 2.0L EcoBoost 4 cyl gets 205kw/380Nm and should get much better again!!! The 3.5 is definitely going in the F150, and the 2.0L is under consideration for the single cab XL 4x2 F150. If it's powerful enough for an F150, it can certainly handle the weight of a Falcon. It's designed for towing, so it's not going to be like a Subaru WRX STi engine in a truck!
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2009, 04:40 PM   #78
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Europeans are buying cars depending on how low the emmisions are allready and we will follow (just takes longer for us to catch on) and a bit longer again for the even slower Americanos. I love my RWD V8s as much as the next guy but the time for them really is over gone finished finito vamanos, the end
Europeans buy cars based on fuel consumption, they have so many years due to fuel being expensive. Emissions are mandated by the government.
This is one of the main reasons why there are great small diesels over there.

In saying that small cars are great in short drives in the city. Out in the open they aren't all that comfortable, fuel economy is close to city driving, and for me makes me want to stop more (which gets annoying), and overtaking is interesting.

Europe is a different place with a different way of life. To them a 350km trip is huge when for a us its a weekend trip. I talk to family o/s and tell them about driving to Brisbane (1800km) and they cant believe it.
Old 20-02-2009, 04:42 PM   #79
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

If this ecoboost 4 is as good as some are saying, how bloody good would it go in a focus then!? 205kw/380nm, woah, get rid of that Volvo motor now!
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2009, 04:44 PM   #80
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Oh No. Oh Please God No!!!!!!!
Old 20-02-2009, 06:14 PM   #81
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

I was just thinking about how many F-150's were built in the 1970's and 1980's with a 302 with 165 - 180 HP. Now you can get a 4 cylinder (well, in 2010) that makes over 200 HP. There really isn't any room to complain, except for the sound of the exhaust.

Steve

My XB Interceptor project

Wife's 1966 Mustang

My Artworks and Creative Projects Site
Oil Paintings, Airbrushing, Metal Sculpture,
Custom Cars, Replica Movie Props, Videos,
and more!
Ohio XB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2009, 06:14 PM   #82
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Guys I havn't read the entire thread so please forgive me - In my experience the 6 cylinder engine in falcons today is a marvel of modern engineering and borders on science fiction, when they are at speed and you got the cruise control on they don't fire all 6 cylinders (hello small engine economy) whilst being torquey enough to run at 2krpm how the hell else can an I6 deliver 700 kms to a tank of fuel (highway) yes they have a bit of a thirst round town (because it is firing more cylinders to accelerate all the time and is in lower gears). I do not see why what we have now needs to change and I think that a 4 cylinder car couldn't match the highway figures of the I6 we got. This is Australia we have a large barren landscape we NEED cars that are good on the highway. Falcon/c'dore has always suited this way of driving. Can't say I would enjoy sitting behind a 4 cylinder revving at 3,500 to hold 100 km/h for 2 hours.

I can see what ford is trying to do, but the buyers they are targetting already have a car aimed at them - the mondeo. Please leave the Falcon as it is.

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2009, 06:19 PM   #83
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio XB
I was just thinking about how many F-150's were built in the 1970's and 1980's with a 302 with 165 - 180 HP. Now you can get a 4 cylinder (well, in 2010) that makes over 200 HP. There really isn't any room to complain, except for the sound of the exhaust.

Steve
This is true, however when FoA brought the F-100 series back to Aus under 10 years ago they were $80,000 retail.
Just out of the average mans reach by about $40,000.......

My info is from a DP that the Falcon is gone 2013, it will be replaced with a Turdus from the US.

I cant just see the value in a FWD Turdus Ute......*perhaps the demolition derby at the Beaudesart Show*

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2009, 06:30 PM   #84
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbaxr6t
Guys I havn't read the entire thread so please forgive me - In my experience the 6 cylinder engine in falcons today is a marvel of modern engineering and borders on science fiction, when they are at speed and you got the cruise control on they don't fire all 6 cylinders (hello small engine economy) whilst being torquey enough to run at 2krpm how the hell else can an I6 deliver 700 kms to a tank of fuel (highway) yes they have a bit of a thirst round town (because it is firing more cylinders to accelerate all the time and is in lower gears). I do not see why what we have now needs to change and I think that a 4 cylinder car couldn't match the highway figures of the I6 we got. This is Australia we have a large barren landscape we NEED cars that are good on the highway. Falcon/c'dore has always suited this way of driving. Can't say I would enjoy sitting behind a 4 cylinder revving at 3,500 to hold 100 km/h for 2 hours.

I can see what ford is trying to do, but the buyers they are targetting already have a car aimed at them - the mondeo. Please leave the Falcon as it is.
We seem to forget sometimes that 90% of our population live on the coast in urban areas, hardly the large barren landscape scenario is it.
I for one think these eco boost engines look very promsing, if our I6 borders on science fiction these things sound like they come from outer space.

I really like the turbo 6 I have, but around town it is a thirsty pig, doing mid 17'skm/100, 450km out of 80 litres is not that good, and that is just driving with the traffic, I can get nearly as good in my roller cammed 7 litre clevor believe it or not.
If the ecoboost 6 has the consumption figures they say, and 260kw, I say bring it on..hell I'd even look at the eco 4 if the car was substantially lighter, whether I would buy one does depend on what the final product would look like in a ute..
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2009, 06:31 PM   #85
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Guys I havn't read the entire thread so please forgive me
You are forgiven, but please read the thread, it just might open your mind. The article was absolute crap, for just saying it's a 2L 4 cyl turbo, it did not mention EcoBoost technology at all, so take the time to look that stuff up too.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2009, 07:34 PM   #86
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
In my experience the 6 cylinder engine in falcons today is a marvel of modern engineering and borders on science fiction, when they are at speed and you got the cruise control on they don't fire all 6 cylinders (hello small engine economy) whilst being torquey enough to run at 2krpm how the hell else can an I6 deliver 700 kms to a tank of fuel (highway) yes they have a bit of a thirst round town (because it is firing more cylinders to accelerate all the time and is in lower gears).
Since when does the I6 have cylinder deactivation? The I6 the timing of the cams and lowers the consumption.
Old 20-02-2009, 07:38 PM   #87
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

I think this is a brillant idea, If you want to buy toyota, and would like the Aurion, but only in 4cly you get the Camry, It would help Ford emensly to give buyers the choice of either 4 or 6 in the same car!
Old 20-02-2009, 08:43 PM   #88
Mongoose
Can't go around corners

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Since when does the I6 have cylinder deactivation?
Since the dizzy carked itself
Mongoose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2009, 08:45 PM   #89
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongoose
Since the dizzy carked itself

I'll pay that!
Old 20-02-2009, 11:55 PM   #90
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra
If this ecoboost 4 is as good as some are saying, how bloody good would it go in a focus then!? 205kw/380nm, woah, get rid of that Volvo motor now!
I'd rather the Volvo motor thank you.
I am sure the ecoboost 4 is a great motor but the I5T is a work of art and sounds hot too (I love the sound of my XR5T). Here is the upcoming RS, the sound is just horn.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLge9_42S48