Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-01-2009, 03:20 PM   #61
imugli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If a forum of Hard Core Ford fans can sit here and generally agree that this thing isn't too bad and, if it was sent here in AWD form to replace the falcon it wouldn't necessarily be too bad a thing - what hope does Falcon have? Seriously... If we can agree that's it's half decent, what is Joe General Public going to care if this thing replaces Falcon?
imugli is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2009, 03:44 AM   #62
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by imugli
If a forum of Hard Core Ford fans can sit here and generally agree that this thing isn't too bad and, if it was sent here in AWD form to replace the falcon it wouldn't necessarily be too bad a thing - what hope does Falcon have? Seriously... If we can agree that's it's half decent, what is Joe General Public going to care if this thing replaces Falcon?

Interesting perspective. I am sure the rear wheel drive purists still have major issues. I can imagine the Mustang being replaced with a model that, though it looks cool, people would shun because of the lack of RWD. This happend already with the car that was to replace the Mustang in 1989-ish, the Probe. People went nuts when they heard the new Mustang would be FWD. Ford did change their mind, thank god.

Steve

My XB Interceptor project

Wife's 1966 Mustang

My Artworks and Creative Projects Site
Oil Paintings, Airbrushing, Metal Sculpture,
Custom Cars, Replica Movie Props, Videos,
and more!
Ohio XB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2009, 11:57 AM   #63
bathurst77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by imugli
YEh but we are only speculating based on looks and the dash.

Except for a few "official spindoctor numbers", we have no idea on how it goes, stops or handles, how good or bad the gearshift is, how comfortable or roomy it is, how it can tow, how big the boot is, how tough and reliable it is, how fuel economical it is, what price they can make and sell it for, etc etc.

All this is what makes Falcon, Falcon.

Way back 50 years ago nearly Falcon was introduced to Australia as locally produced version of Ford USAs compact family car, so to do the same again, its still Falcon. IF its a good car, its worthy, if not, USA can keep it.

When Holden went from Kingswood, to Australianised version of Opel/Vauxhalls, people werent screaming that it was the end of the road fro the Aussie Holden, Commdore became "Australias own" (for some reason people seemed to pretend Opel Reckord and Senator didnt exist). Whats the difference?
bathurst77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2009, 12:20 PM   #64
MrSparkle
An Old Boss™©
Contributing Member

Hate to burst the excitement bubble, but I will put on my Nostradamus hat and make the following very disappointing predictions:

1) AWD - it will be a FWD bias, in fact I'd suggest FWD at all times only until slip is detected in the rear. This is the way of most players now (except Subaru) as it provides a marketing and consumption advantage.

2) Manual box - getting increasingly squashed out of the market, just look at the new Ralliart Lancer, no manual option! Would not be surprised if an increasing number of brand new models don't offer it at all including a fairly-floss-fwd-yank-boat.

Bottom line - Ford is in deep deep financial poo, large sedans (let alone manual ones) are very much NOT in demand by the general public, and downsizing in size and consumption has never been more prominent. Don't hold your breath for anything directed towards the enthusiast!
Old 17-01-2009, 12:40 PM   #65
Sprint XR8

GM and Ford are going to take the cheapest option, continue the current Commodore and Falcon platforms with low budget updates well past 2013.
It would cost too much to retool for Taurus, there would be no increase in sales numbers with Taurus.
Sprint XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2009, 12:44 PM   #66
bathurst77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thats quite a likely bet at this time, Coupex
bathurst77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2009, 02:33 AM   #67
RPO83
ĕm-bär'gō? 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSparkle
Hate to burst the excitement bubble, but I will put on my Nostradamus hat and make the following very disappointing predictions:

1) AWD - it will be a FWD bias, in fact I'd suggest FWD at all times only until slip is detected in the rear. This is the way of most players now (except Subaru) as it provides a marketing and consumption advantage.

2) Manual box - getting increasingly squashed out of the market, just look at the new Ralliart Lancer, no manual option! Would not be surprised if an increasing number of brand new models don't offer it at all including a fairly-floss-fwd-yank-boat.

Bottom line - Ford is in deep deep financial poo, large sedans (let alone manual ones) are very much NOT in demand by the general public, and downsizing in size and consumption has never been more prominent. Don't hold your breath for anything directed towards the enthusiast!
It has a flappy paddle gearbox what more could you possibly want!

In all honesty the '10 Taurus has a heap of features the Falcon badly needs to stay competitive...radar cruise conrol, contour massaging seats, voice controlled sat nav, auto dimming headlights, black spot info system to name just a few.
RPO83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2009, 03:09 AM   #68
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPO83
It has a flappy paddle gearbox what more could you possibly want!

In all honesty the '10 Taurus has a heap of features the Falcon badly needs to stay competitive...radar cruise conrol, contour massaging seats, voice controlled sat nav, auto dimming headlights, black spot info system to name just a few.

I don't know if you were being sarcastic or serious, but personally for me, I prefer a stick in the middle to bang through the gears, perhaps because of my age. However, here in the US a manual transmission has never been customary for a full sized family sedan. Now the SHO model is a different story.

I agree, Ford has some really neat bells and whistles now.

Steve

My XB Interceptor project

Wife's 1966 Mustang

My Artworks and Creative Projects Site
Oil Paintings, Airbrushing, Metal Sculpture,
Custom Cars, Replica Movie Props, Videos,
and more!
Ohio XB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2009, 10:01 PM   #69
Danny
GT4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by damir05
its looks really good only thing i dont like is gear leaver its retarded reminds me of old laser autos , also wonder how would sports version look like
You've clearly not seen the DSG gear selector in a Mk5 VW Golf GTi/R32, or Passat I like the look. Chunky and classy.

As for the styling, it's hard to believe that stubborn ole Dearborn actually looked to Ford UK's Kinetic design language for inspiration. Generally speaking Ford US ALWAYS ignore the UK stuff, preferring to build everything in Big ole hick town seppo blocky big grilled style.

This car is a genuine breath of fresh air. Jury's out on the interior and some minor exterior details though. Not bad for a Ford US vehicle though.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2009, 10:09 PM   #70
Rooster
Gimme Shelter

Cool

:
Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post