Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 24-06-2013, 01:41 PM   #1
Lotte
YE-US! Wait. I don't know

Default supermarkets vs farmers markets etc

Basically, tell me about your food (and other sundries).
Do you only shop at the major supermarkets, or do you go to smaller greengrocers, farmers markets, local butcher etc?
Do you notice a difference in food across the different places to buy food?
What effect does where you buy your food have on what you eat?
Do you actively try to souce your food from a farmer friendly source?

We have a 50-30-20 split between farmers markets/direct from the farmer, supermarkets and local groups (Aussie farmers direct etc). This'll change when I start growing my own food.
All our meat and veg come from the farmers markets, as well as some small goods items (kabana, soap, peanut butter). What we can't buy at the famers market, or obtain from a local source, we buy at coles, unless we can make it (usually those ingredients come from coles though, so it's a bit of a so-so situation, until I find a local bulk supplier of a variety of baking goods).
Growing up in the country, and knowing how **** our farmers are treated by the big two, I tend to go out of my way if I can to get produce direct (plus it's better quality, show me a dozen eggs bought at the supermarket that were still good after six weeks and I'll eat my own words).

It can be a little more expensive, the meat is generally a bit more, but it lasts longer, and tastes way better. The veggies are usually the same price, but don't wilt as you walk out the door as well

Trying to get some opinions together, so I can compile them and present to my Guides the pros and cons of different sources of food.

The Weekender: '06 BF Pursuit, Toxic, lumpy af

Lotte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post