Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-07-2014, 09:01 PM   #61
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: Federal Government says it is “closely considering” charging drivers per kilometre t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serial_Fool View Post
How about every dollar raised by theft through speeding fines, registration, fees, etc etc, go back into developing our road infrastructure?
If that happened all of our roads would be made out of gold with people in designer suits with fedoras hand polishing them every 20 meters.

Every 10th time you take your car out on the road you get a free shoe shine from said polish men.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-07-2014, 09:04 PM   #62
Dash_XR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Federal Government says it is “closely considering” charging drivers per kilometre t

If you have a smart phone there's a good chance you're already being tracked, I don't see the big deal tbh. Although under 10 Kay speeding fines would probably go up at least 10 fold if GPS could be used to convict. That's allot of revenue come to think of it.
Rapid Systems Intercooler & Battery Relocation - ID 1000 Injectors - Process West Surge Tank - Venom 100 Cell Bolt On Cat - XForce 3.5 inch Catback - Plazmaman 4 inch Turboside Intake - Crow HD Valve Springs - Glowshift Gauges (Oil temp, Oil Pressure, Boost, Volt) - Malwood Opt 5 - XR50 Interior - FG2 Limited Ed 19's - Nitto Invo's

Dash_XR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 15-07-2014, 09:05 PM   #63
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

Cool by me. I only commute 19km's per day during the week to work.
blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2014, 09:09 PM   #64
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

Quote:
Originally Posted by XW-BAXR6T View Post
I'll be looking at riding my bicycle instead in future....
They will tax you too.
Old 15-07-2014, 09:14 PM   #65
XW-BAXR6T

Quote:
Originally Posted by teak81 View Post
They will tax you too.
Well bugger that, sheez the world has become so corporate entity like invoicing us for things we use, so bloody ridiculous. Even for things we own

Nick.
XW-BAXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-07-2014, 09:17 PM   #66
XW-BAXR6T

Next they'll think of taxing us for the amount of air our cars suck for combustion for global warming strategies blah blah. Look im fine if we pay per mile as long as they remove the rego, tax on petrol & other associated taxes we already pay etc Not fair to double dip or tripple dip in...

Nick.
Old 15-07-2014, 09:37 PM   #67
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B - CV8 View Post
Don't they already do this anyway - via fuel taxes etc...
Exactly! The government already reaps a huge amount of money from fuel sold which is supposed to be used on roads. This is just blatant double dipping.

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2014, 10:11 PM   #68
rag top
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by commonrails View Post
The only three things I can see this achieve is,

1# Cost the honest people who don't roll back their kms
2# Make people that roll back kms some coin
3# Make the second hand car market an even bigger minefield
What about 4#: gov't encourages burnouts; the more the rear wheels turn, the more revenue is generated.
Old 15-07-2014, 10:24 PM   #69
GREGL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post
It's what my late father used to call a "conversation starter" policy idea...

In other words, something the government leaks, reveals, or lets slip is a "policy idea" or a "result of a consultation process" or a "possible future policy position"...which can be easily walked away from or denied as being part of solid government policy if public outcry is too loud.
They let it out, and then sit back quietly and watch carefully what the public reception is...if it's bad, they distance themselves from it, but if it's quiet or good, then they do something about it.

And example is that in the early eighties, the Hawke government decided it might be a peachy keen idea to fix homelessness by looking at pensioners houses...people who had usually large houses and a few empty rooms...and stick a bunch of homeless people and families in with them. Problem solved!
Pensioners groups were outraged, my parents were very worried, but the government then scoffed at the idea...it was merely something that came out of a discussions group, something that was a blue-sky idea that was never going to be seriously considered as part of government policy...*cough*...

Let's see what happens here, shall we?
You don't have to look to deeply to see why that one got canned , Hazel put her foot down when she realised she too would have to participate when the golden handshake from Paul came around .

Planning and road infrastructure are two different things when it comes to govt. I cannot believe that with full knowledge of impending developments the previous Qld mob did not upgrade the bruce hwy out of Brisbane to 4 lanes all the way to caloundra instead of the 3 just to Caboolture . Approval has been given to a massive development called Caloundra south , probably bigger than northlakes . This has been in the pipeline for years . It is a joke , are they waiting for all the surrounding land to be residential whereby it triples the costs with resumptions and NIMBY battles .
The local members are ****weak when you see what has happened in northern N.S.W . Either that or Main Roads Qld doesn't hold a candle to the R.T.A .
Whatever the reason is it is obvious that not much of the revenue from vehicle related taxes goes to into roads in Qld and they want more , barstards .
GREGL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2014, 10:32 PM   #70
Lotte
YE-US! Wait. I don't know

Wait wait wait.
So what they're saying is they want to invest more money building more roads, then charge us per kilometer to use those roads under the premise that road congestion and fuel usage is too high (I'm assuming); instead of investing in some decent public transport?
WOT?!?!?
The Weekender: '06 BF Pursuit, Toxic, lumpy af

Lotte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2014, 10:40 PM   #71
GREGL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just out of interest how does a electric car ( not hybrid ) get calculated for rego at this point in time ? It obviously doesn't fall under the cyl. format in place at the moment . maybe that's what their angle is .
After all if it became attractive an affordable for mainstream Australians to buy a fully electric car someone somewhere would be out of pocket , and we couldn't have that could we ?
GREGL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2014, 10:47 PM   #72
Trump
bitch lasagne

Quote:
Well bugger that, sheez the world has become so corporate entity like invoicing us for things we use, so bloody ridiculous. Even for things we own
The power structures of the world have always been corporate entities, it is only of late their real nature is becoming known.

It begs the question, do you really own those things?

Scaled Business Solutions
For Your Small Business IT Needs
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2014, 11:12 PM   #73
OwnTheRoad
T Series Club AUST.

Here it is folks the next tax will be on oxygen , its a user pays system athletes and smokers will cop it hard , children and Asthmatics will get concessions and once your dead the Government will charge you with Tax avoidance ...........The rot must stop , when the GST came in I'm sure stamp duty was to be removed so if this rot gets up I'm sure they will drop the fuel excise....NOT !!!!!!!
Old 15-07-2014, 11:40 PM   #74
XW-BAXR6T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loud_Noises View Post
The power structures of the world have always been corporate entities, it is only of late their real nature is becoming known.
It's our fault because we keep feeding the beast into existence, we the people have always had the power to do something about it, but because of a fear we just sit back & comply.

This is the chain of authority:
God > Man > King/Queen > Parliament > Corporations.

As God is not Earth bound, that leaves man as the highest authority on the land. The creator has jurisdiction over his product. Therefore, man is not subject to any rules, regulations, or dictations, from the products he creates, unless he chooses to.

Man alone has choice. Those products created by man are subject to the choices of man, it cannot work the other way around. The product cannot control the creator. Wake up people.

Nick.
Old 15-07-2014, 11:52 PM   #75
dl86
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ODNxy3YOPU
FG MKII GT ZF, 444.8rwkw, 61mm YT snout, 1000cc injectors, 460lph fuel pump, big kpm intercooler, shockworks w/12kg front springs, SSR GTX01 18X9.5" +22 F/R, nizpro input shaft, 1pce 4" AL tailshaft, poly bushings all round, trutrac, headerback exhaust 3", whiteline sway bars, IMS diff hat, herrod spark booster, Alpine R type speakers/Alpine R type 2x12" ported subs/Pioneer GM-D9601/8604 amps and other bits
dl86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2014, 12:03 AM   #76
Nova 8

Quote:

How it really looks
Parliament > corporations >>>> man.
Queen is worthless in the modern age and I don't believe in god.

How it will look if the TPP comes in.
Corporations > parliament >>>>> man

People are too lazy to do anything about it (myself included). The police and politicians all work for us, yet we agree with little they do. Imagine doing the exact opposite of what your employer wants... I've been taken into custody a few times for refusing to produce identification to police when I have no legal obligation to do so making it my RIGHT to refuse.

If this stupid thing comes in you know they will use it to issue speeding fines and the vast majority will be off the road in no time flat. Better start reading up on the laws regarding your Right to Travel.
Old 16-07-2014, 12:04 AM   #77
Cobalt Blue
Starter Motor

The Government will just love this because they'll be able to get even with the clowns who don't register their car or don't display plates, without a valid reason, but who still drive. It's a common thing around Dandenong, where I work.

Last edited by Cobalt Blue; 16-07-2014 at 12:12 AM.
Cobalt Blue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2014, 12:16 AM   #78
champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWasp View Post
Maybe we can make a 'Hot Air' tax and dock the pay of politicians everytime they open their mouth and come up with a stupid idea.
Ha ha, I like this one! You should "take it to the people" so to speak.
champ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2014, 05:03 AM   #79
marty351
Shenanigans..............

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWasp View Post
Maybe we can make a 'Hot Air' tax and dock the pay of politicians everytime they open their mouth and come up with a stupid idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by champ

Ha ha, I like this one! You should "take it to the people" so to speak.
Declare politicians pests and treat them according to the law!
marty351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2014, 06:15 AM   #80
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

sif it would end up with us paying less money

tripping balls
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 16-07-2014, 07:35 AM   #81
hedgehobb

Quote:
As God is not Earth bound, that leaves man as the highest authority on the land. The creator has jurisdiction over his product. Therefore, man is not subject to any rules, regulations, or dictations, from the products he creates, unless he chooses to.
What ever you're smoking... I'll take two!
hedgehobb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2014, 10:56 AM   #82
minheim

When they work out a way to charge cyclists for road use and fine them for road breaches, then they can charge me per kilometre. Otherwise not only will I be paying more for the privilege of sharing the bitumen with them but also the added complexity of dealing with a plague of them.
minheim is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2014, 10:58 AM   #83
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREGL View Post
You don't have to look to deeply to see why that one got canned , Hazel put her foot down when she realised she too would have to participate when the golden handshake from Paul came around .

Planning and road infrastructure are two different things when it comes to govt. I cannot believe that with full knowledge of impending developments the previous Qld mob did not upgrade the bruce hwy out of Brisbane to 4 lanes all the way to caloundra instead of the 3 just to Caboolture . Approval has been given to a massive development called Caloundra south , probably bigger than northlakes . This has been in the pipeline for years . It is a joke , are they waiting for all the surrounding land to be residential whereby it triples the costs with resumptions and NIMBY battles .
The local members are ****weak when you see what has happened in northern N.S.W . Either that or Main Roads Qld doesn't hold a candle to the R.T.A .
Whatever the reason is it is obvious that not much of the revenue from vehicle related taxes goes to into roads in Qld and they want more , barstards .
4 lanes to posh ville. How about the rest of Queensland. MOst of the money in the coffers is from the Bowen Basin.
Old 16-07-2014, 11:01 AM   #84
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
It's our fault because we keep feeding the beast into existence, we the people have always had the power to do something about it, but because of a fear we just sit back & comply.

Man alone has choice. Those products created by man are subject to the choices of man, it cannot work the other way around. The product cannot control the creator. Wake up people.
But man, and women are not the greater authority nor the creator but the product.
Between god and man (and women) is culture which encompasses society, city, town, universal morals and values. Some call these the ten commandments others call them common decency and others the law of the jungle. God is earthbound, not earthbound and everywhere in between, omnipresent I believe and as an atheist I see god as that set of morals and values bought about through humans universal behaviors.
In this context AFF must abode by the governing rules set down by our culture, society, morals and values which is a majority rule one size fits all approach to best fit lawmaking.
What the power construct offers you is the ability to do something about it that god, king or queen can do nothing about and that is like Mr Muir, stand up and be counted!
God doesn't care how your taxes are derived, Just that you pay them without complaining!

JP
jpblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2014, 12:22 PM   #85
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

maybe they hope that people wont be able to afford the bigger more fuel using cars AND pay for each km to get to work, pick the kids up etc
so the falcon which is more on fuel insurance rego etc will be traded in for the little euro car so the money you save on fuel insurance rego etc can then be used on the km traveled tax
??
if thats the case im buying a scooter
im a 34 km round trip to work
MercurySilver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2014, 12:54 PM   #86
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

On top of current rego costs and fine structure, get ****ed comes to mind.

If they abolish rego fees, pending what rate for what car fuel type and cylinders maybe has merit.

I do like the idea I read earlier about sponsored sections of major highways. Seems like an idea to have major companies advertise what they want along their section of highway, like subliminal advertising as you drive.
Old 16-07-2014, 01:45 PM   #87
GTP-814
love the quad cams

I have heard that in NV, they charge per KM for diesel vehicles. Can anyone confirm & if so how is it monitored?
GTP-814 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2014, 03:18 PM   #88
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower View Post
This is the "conservative" Liberal party? I would have expected this from Labor.
But "conservative" parties aren't usually known for anti conservative measures responsible for putting our nation in the current deficit. If it wasn't for howard we would be in surplus today.

http://www.news.com.au/finance/econo...-1226641523508

There's the real world and then there's the world of Rupert Murdoch.
Old 16-07-2014, 05:47 PM   #89
EBII Fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How will this effect somebody like myself who is a tradesman starting their own business? I'm trying to be cheap to get my foot in the door to start trading, yet charges like these will push my rates up and possibly be the reason for loosing jobs. How will it also effect the weekly shop and all the rest of it. All I see happening prices keep going up. We are apparently the lucky country, but I feel we are far from lucky. More like stupid due to what these pollies are doing.
EBII Fairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2014, 05:56 PM   #90
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Red face Re: Federal Government says it is “closely considering” charging drivers per kilometre t

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBII Fairmont View Post
How will this effect somebody like myself who is a tradesman starting their own business? I'm trying to be cheap to get my foot in the door to start trading, yet charges like these will push my rates up and possibly be the reason for loosing jobs. How will it also effect the weekly shop and all the rest of it. All I see happening prices keep going up. We are apparently the lucky country, but I feel we are far from lucky. More like stupid due to what these pollies are doing.
Jump to conclusions much?

This is an idea! not a policy nor law. With something this complex it would have to go through major industry and public debate, review and consultation before being introduced then pass both houses. There is no way any government would be stupid enough to add it on top of already existing taxes levies or similar. To be honest I don't think any Government would be stupid enough to actually persue it given the cost of implementation and public outcry. These ****ers need to get reelected.

My commute is 5.5 km's return daily and I do it on a bike so Bring it on if it saves ME money.

JP
jpblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post