Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 19-09-2005, 11:30 PM   #61
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Guys he's admitted his mistake...he's paying for it in his own way...don't make him pay twice...he came here seeking help...SO let him among you who is without SIN cast the first stone...lest you have them cast at you.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2005, 11:33 PM   #62
Gabbins
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShockWaveXR6na
There is no lesson to be learnt tho, thats the frigin point... If you have to get drunk and drive a car just to learn the lesson not then you should probarly be going and getting some professional help.

Don't be a nob!

Yeah your right u shouldn't need to expirience it to learn it.
But try tellin that to the people who havn't had a bad expirience and continue to do it.

im thinkin of going to see a pychologist

People who drink drive shouldn't have there licenses to start with, but there's no way of predicting whether some1 is going to drink drive from the day they get their license, unfortunately its part of life
Old 19-09-2005, 11:41 PM   #63
gtfpv
GT

chill man sounds like you learnt this one . it will help you learn somethings now from other people and some other things in life you will have to learn the same way . as we all do .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2005, 11:43 PM   #64
MrQuan
Social Disaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShockWaveXR6na
There is no lesson to be learnt tho, thats the frigin point... If you have to get drunk and drive a car just to learn the lesson not then you should probarly be going and getting some professional help.

Don't be a nob!
Aren't you a f***ing angel mate. You need to tone it down a bit. He said he's learnt his lesson - why can't you accept that? Had a bad day?

I'm really getting sick of people bagging this bloke. I wonder how many have driven under the influence and not shared it with others. Why is sharing his experience such a f***ing crime?

3.73 LSD | Darkest legal tint | tinted back lights | Sprayed Dash | Custom Trims
Sound System:
Fusion front splits, rear 3-ways, and 2 x 12" subs with ctrl, 3 x Fusion amps | Clarion HU | 1F Cap | 60GB Zen Xtra | 800W RMS output!
MrQuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2005, 11:48 PM   #65
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQuan
Aren't you a f***ing angel mate. You need to tone it down a bit. He said he's learnt his lesson - why can't you accept that? Had a bad day?

I'm really getting sick of people bagging this bloke. I wonder how many have driven under the influence and not shared it with others. Why is sharing his experience such a f***ing crime?
summed up well brother i spent 4 posts trying to say that and still didn't explain it as well as you. hahahahaha.
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2005, 11:49 PM   #66
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would be willing to bet there is plenty of people here that have had 1 extra drink they shouldnt of and still drove but havent been caught to find that out.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2005, 12:08 AM   #67
EDXR
GRRRRRR

One of my workmates drinks while out and often drives home and i have had many an argument with said person over the lunch table and i gotta say it's very easy-IF YOU WANT TO DRINK THEN DON'T DRIVE-IF YOU WANT TO DRIVE THEN DON'T DRINK!!!!

IT'S NOT ROCKET SCIENCE!!!

Yet no matter how much you try to warn him he won't have any of it.
I've heard everything from "I don't drink that much" to "I've been driving for years so i'll be o.k".

All i say to him now is that when(not if) you injure or kill someone it better not be someone i know or care about or the ambulance crew will be diggin' my tyre iron out of your skull. :

I hope you learnt your lesson mate cas' you don't wanna end up like this guy.
You're just bloody lucky you didn't kill anyone else or yourselves.
EDXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2005, 12:10 AM   #68
xurbanx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

"6. Ban P Platers from travelling with more then 2 other occupants in a car, 5 kids together in a car is too many. Also ban P platers from traveling between 12 and 5 in the morning (unless have work related need)."

lol i agree with the first sentence, my car cant handle more than 1 in the back >_<; but with the 12-5, that'll prevent people drinking and going back home but what about the people whove gone to ie/ the city or just hung out with mates and going home after 12?
im a p plater and ive been asked many times to "come on man, just 1-2drinks, itll wear off by 4am", ive gone to clubs and friends have gone come on just a drink, outings with friends and same question, but my answer's always no,

a minority of these p platers really dont care till theyve either gone through the experience ... they just need to learn how to say no to others and themselves, ie/ the mid sem break is coming up and im going clubbing and definitely drinking, ill be going by train then getting home by cab or the nightrider + cab (or crash at a mates place, then catching the train in the morning)
xurbanx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2005, 12:11 AM   #69
FPV GT
I Like To Shake It

As someone who has had to wash the blood off the roadway after the exploits of drink drivers............
Bugger the sensitivities......... place their head in the operating room, or morgue. Unfortunately the leagal system has got way too soft on peoples civil libities...... Ohhhhhh he was on point 065...... yeah but it was the 10th time.........

Take all DUI's to the morgue..................

So what if the poor baby gets nightmares after seeing what a 1 tonne vehicle at 60 clicks can do to a body........
TUFF Sh*T, shock value rules....

However, I suppose this comment does run true, more times than not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
I would be willing to bet there is plenty of people here that have had 1 extra drink they shouldnt of and still drove but havent been caught to find that out.
Regards
Paul

2016 S550 TY GT Coupe....some loud bits and some glass bits

I like My GT SHAKEN, and Blown
Happiness is a TY S550, a 1911 semi automatic, and the Lovey Lizzie by my side.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely Lizzie
whilst looking at man riding a pee wee 50
"That sure does nothing for his masculinity"
FPV GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2005, 12:20 AM   #70
Gabbs
Curry in a hurry

So you had a few drinks and decided to drive then decided to hand the keys to your mate who proceeded to drive like a dick.
You may have learnt you lesson but you learnt it the easy way what if thier was a car coming the other way and he hit it head on and killed the occupants.
I also hope your mate is going to pay for the damage to your car as insurance isn't going to cover you.
Gabbs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2005, 01:13 AM   #71
MickyB
Get in the ring!!!

While it may not be indicative of people on these forums, the amount of people who drive while over 0.05 should not be underestimated. I work in a bottle shop, and you wouldn't believe the amount of people who buy say 6 beers or a bottle of wine off me at the start of my shift, then are back a few hours later for more, usually swinging their car keys. And it's not young people either, often they have their young children in tow, which makes it even worse.
What Gabbins did was wrong, he hopefully has realised that it should never be done again, and if he can't, then some form of help is required. Abusing him won't solve the problem, advice and a few stern words are what is needed. I don't condone drink driving for one second, but it seems to me that it is a societal issue, not just affecting one segment or age group in the community.
Old 20-09-2005, 03:00 AM   #72
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabbins

The question is, would u want a DDer to learn this same lesson on public roads or a race track ??
Neither. If the DDer needs a racetrack to teach him that it's bad, he needs his licence revoked. However, he should be educated moreso than punished, so that he realises what the consequences can be, rather than simply copping a fine & loss of licence.

-Dave-
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2005, 12:49 PM   #73
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
i hope i havent offended anybody here . i don't drink and drive . at all . did once 19 years ago . was lucky . but i'm just as guilty as this guy and anyone else. .i dont think that bashing him up is always the answer .often people do that themselves .if he killed someone it would be horrible .
Interesting point here. I didnt see anyone jumping down gtpv's throat calling him a d--khead, calling for his licence to be revoked?? Or do we forgive and forget for regular members? Or because it was so long ago? (GTFPV, sorry to use you as an example - no offense is intended, but if people are going to cherry pick members to flame then be prepared to cop flack from me).

A lot of people here on their high horses - would be interesting to break out the old polygraph and see who has driven under the influence of what, see who has broken what laws. We're none of us perfect. Not a single one of us. Im not accusing anyone of drink driving - but each and everyone of you has sped, driven recklessly, done burnouts, failed to indicate etc etc. To argue one is more dangerous than another is a moot point.

Nothing anyone says to you can compare with dissapointment in yourself.

Is this not what is being displayed by gabbins? It has been suggested he had the 'gall' to post here about it? How does openly posting, hand on heart, admitting stupidity count as gall? No - that would be - "we were ****ed as rats, mate hit a kerb, it was f--ken awesome".

Gabbins - i dont see much merit in your idea regarding the racetrack. This is one of those things where i dont think people need to learn about the dangers of first hand. Forget about the shrink mate, just dont do it again. Alcohol does some crazy to a person's mind - if going for a drive seems like a fun idea when you're drunk then have someone take your keys from you at the start of the night.

Can i ask a question? Do you think you would have told us if nothing had happened? I mean, if all made it back in one piece with no damage to the car - do you think you'd do it again until something went wrong??
Old 20-09-2005, 12:56 PM   #74
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I always find it interesting that drink driving is considered so socially irresponsible (not saying it isn't irresponsible) when excessive speeding can have the same results and often considered to just be bad luck.
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2005, 01:02 PM   #75
EA2BA
PM me if you want

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_au
I always find it interesting that drink driving is considered so socially irresponsible (not saying it isn't irresponsible) when excessive speeding can have the same results and often considered to just be bad luck.
Say what, they are as bad as each other, and any one who says bad luck on a speeding fine should be shot, the same as DUI.

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2005, 01:03 PM   #76
gozza

its not really that hard to understand
drink then u don't drive
its not about seeing how u handle a car after drink...just don't f&*ckin drink

on another note about them graffic adds about speeding and drinkin and such
i think that one with the camry rammin the car then killin the woman walkin the pram is utter bullsh*t
in my mind that add only makes sense if you drivin a camry....do they know what brakes we use...do they know the weight of our car...damn propaganda
gozza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2005, 01:07 PM   #77
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Thats right

Ye Old Ford would still be pulling up as it was going through the shop window the next block down the road.!
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2005, 01:30 PM   #78
KarSar

I can relate to this thread. I also did the same sort of thing when I was younger. I did not crash or anything and back in the days the whole drink driving thing wasn't pushed like it is these days. It should have been.

The only thing I can do now with my own kids is let them know that if they do ever go out and drink they can call me any time from anywhere to get me to pick them up or they can call a cab and I'll pay for it when they get home. I don't care if I have to drive an hour at 3am if my kids are not driving thats what matters.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2005, 01:31 PM   #79
gozza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laminge
Thats right

Ye Old Ford would still be pulling up as it was going through the shop window the next block down the road.!
mate i never said anything about my car
im sayin there basing a total braking distance on a family camry
Old 20-09-2005, 01:32 PM   #80
gozza

lemme rephrase that
a total braking distance for everyone based on 1 car
Old 20-09-2005, 01:58 PM   #81
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dellboy999
Say what, they are as bad as each other, and any one who says bad luck on a speeding fine should be shot, the same as DUI.
Thats my opinion. But then you'll meet a few members on car forums (rarely this one, but yes, there are a few) that almost idolise speed, and you just know their doing it on public roads.
Old 20-09-2005, 02:01 PM   #82
big_waity
Windsor Man!

Gabbins - you pay for the car, I'll run it into a wall at a race track!
Old 20-09-2005, 02:06 PM   #83
big_waity
Windsor Man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarSar
I can relate to this thread. I also did the same sort of thing when I was younger. I did not crash or anything and back in the days the whole drink driving thing wasn't pushed like it is these days. It should have been.

The only thing I can do now with my own kids is let them know that if they do ever go out and drink they can call me any time from anywhere to get me to pick them up or they can call a cab and I'll pay for it when they get home. I don't care if I have to drive an hour at 3am if my kids are not driving thats what matters.
Mate, I have never read any other post of yours, but I would like to say, for the record, you are a deadset bloody legend. I am a youth worker (of sorts) and spend a bit of time at stupid drunken parties and have seen lots of people get driven drunk. It hurts to see a young girl(15-18) ring her dad and ask for a lift home, cause she doesn't want to get into a car with her drunk friend, only to have him yell at her for ringing at 3am.

I think parents that are more understanding is a big factor in stopping drink driving, and Gabbans - your a toss. If you can't control how much you drink, get a friend to stay sober with you, to stop you driving.

There is always the trick i did when I was 18ish - I used to lock my keys in my bluebird, I could break in sober, but not drunk.
Old 20-09-2005, 02:12 PM   #84
gozza

yeah thats some mad parenting
quite inspiring
Old 20-09-2005, 02:45 PM   #85
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_au
Thats my opinion. But then you'll meet a few members on car forums (rarely this one, but yes, there are a few) that almost idolise speed, and you just know their doing it on public roads.
Yep just cause they dont post it doesnt mean they dont do it. Some are smarter in that regard.

Some might have a couple of drinks, wait till the next day and they could still be over the limit but wouldnt know it until they're caught.

I can tell you now ive been to plenty of restaurants where people have drank a couple of bottles of wine and have driven home. They may not be smashed but i would bet my life on it they would be over the limit which is when your legally too drunk to drive.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2005, 03:50 PM   #86
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
Yep just cause they dont post it doesnt mean they dont do it. Some are smarter in that regard.

I faintly remember a statistic somewhere that around about 30% of males below 30 will admit to DUI, I think it's awfully a lot more widespread that what people think.

:edit:

Had a quick look for some statistics, their 10 years old (1994) but is certainly an interesting indication: http://www.druglibrary.org/schaffer/...iving/s6p3.htm

Sample size was 500 men and 500 women.

27% of men and 13% of women said it was okay to drive if they were over 0.05 so long as they were careful.

Last edited by Dave_au; 20-09-2005 at 04:28 PM.
Old 20-09-2005, 04:08 PM   #87
gstamos
Starter Motor

This guy has admitted his mistake and from the sounds of it he has learnt his lesson. I agree the idea regarding driving on a track whilst under the influence is plain stupid let alone the fact that it is impractical, dangerous, and would be highly costly. BUT lets not disregard his idea altogether there may be some merit in adapting the idea to a much more practical form -> For example if a driving simulator was used with all the gorry details displayed and we conducted the same type of test and made it a compulsory part of obtaining ones licence then it may (and i say may because there are d#ckHE#ds out there that will never learn) teach some people how invincible they really are whilst behind the wheel.

As already stated we have all done something illegal in the eyes of the law whether it be speed, DUI , etc etc and i guess we have all been lucky enough to get away with it, those who find it easiest to just bag this guy should take there hand of it and think back to when they did something stupid which may have endangered someones life, whether it be drink and drive, speed, reverse out of the drive without looking etc. As i already said this guy has admitted his mistake and he is trying to make a suggestion that may make a difference...at least that's better than him bragging to all his mates down at the pub about the incident
gstamos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2005, 04:14 PM   #88
EA2BA
PM me if you want

Alot of parties I went to, you handed your keys in when you got there, and if the sober person deemed you sober enough you got them back, great system really, a little annoying the next day after sleeping it off, trying to find the person who took your keys to organise them back though .... lol

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2005, 04:18 PM   #89
gozza

whats are your guys opinions on drivin after smokin herb
Old 20-09-2005, 04:22 PM   #90
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dellboy999
Alot of parties I went to, you handed your keys in when you got there, and if the sober person deemed you sober enough you got them back, great system really, a little annoying the next day after sleeping it off, trying to find the person who took your keys to organise them back though .... lol
Yeah, yeah, we all know what kind of parties those are... :
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post