Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 28-02-2008, 08:19 AM   #61
342PURSUIT

I take offence about the comment how most "girls" dont know how to drive a manual.
Get a grip mate Im sure there is many a girl who can drive better than you and Id be willing to prove it.
The reason I never got my manual licence was because no one had a manual in which to teach me until a couple of years ago.
Give the poor guy a break, at least his trying now for his manual licence.
Old 28-02-2008, 10:08 AM   #62
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I hadn't seen that part of the pin-dicks response. I can fully agree with what you are saying 342PURSUIT, in fact in my opinion, girls are easier to teach because they are not full of ego and testosterone.

Many boys believe that because they are born with a dick, they automatically know how to drive - what crap! Unless it is the old mate Buddy 1

Last edited by Trevor 57; 28-02-2008 at 10:25 AM.
Old 28-02-2008, 10:33 AM   #63
Casablanca
carburettor

too right big trev my uncle is a driving instructor and he agrees with everything you have said, i've never double clutched a car but i know how there just seems to be no situation to warrant it quite honestly and yes it does sound cool but seems utterly pointless to me, btw buddy 1 seriously dude leave people alone obviously you are another of the "BEST" drivers in the world and you have a certificate showing that you are the best because you seem to be belittling even the one person who is a driving instructor.

you seriously need to grow up

anyways back to the Q & A
HSV Team shirt..... $65
Tank of Fuel....$75
Being cornered by a 17 year old bogan with 2 kids and no teeth telling you how much she loves HSV's..... Priceless
Old 28-02-2008, 10:41 AM   #64
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy 1
well unless you are a girl, as many Girls seem to have trouble with manuals moreso than Guys.
: Excuse me??
There are plenty of girls out there who drive manual better than men!!

Maybe you missed where I mentioned that I now have a job driving coaches with non-synchromesh gearboxes?
Not bad for a girl, huh?
I know my Dad would rather send me out in his vehicles than a few of the men he's had working for him over the years who abuse the equipment through poor driving practices, when they've had years of experience and I've only been at it a few months.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Old 28-02-2008, 10:47 AM   #65
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I know girls that could drive way better than me anyday. Hell I wouldn't mind because they could drive my WRX when I'm wasted and I won't have to worry about it getting broken
Old 28-02-2008, 11:25 AM   #66
Buddy 1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I take offence about the comment how most "girls" dont know how to drive a manual.

What a collection of Pathetic Whingers who as usual get the information wrong & then comment, as you state I said MOST when I said MANY which is a whole lot differant!

Yes I have known a few Women who can drive well, my Wife is one of them however I have known many more who are Pathetic in their Driving skills in general & even after Driving for many years (they will never get it).

And the number of Women who have trouble with such things as Changing gears is much Higher than Men & this is a fact, one which you will not admit about Women in general & did I say you cannot change gears well or that All Women cannot???

If you were smart in your response you would have simply said well I am a Girl & I can change gears better than many Men, but No you take it personally & seem to think I am saying All Women & not many as I did say.

This is another topic however you can make Comments about Men & we rarely take offence or think it means all of us however make a comment about Women & you all think it means all of you & jump up & down about it.

Remember in general & not all cases Boys do better with mechanical tasks & Girls do better with Artistic or Hobby type things.

See we use differant sides of our Brains & this is why what I said above often is the case.

And are always exceptions to the rule & when I say Women I mean Girly type Girls & not masculine Butch Types as they are more like men & in their case can steer a Truck or whatever with the best of men as they are Like men lol

To all the others who have commented & called me names etc you know what you can DO!

As just as some Girls or many Girls have trouble driving manuals Some or many People in general have trouble thinking :
Old 28-02-2008, 11:34 AM   #67
Buddy 1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Trev
I hadn't seen that part of the pin-dicks response. I can fully agree with what you are saying 342PURSUIT, in fact in my opinion, girls are easier to teach because they are not full of ego and testosterone.

Many boys believe that because they are born with a dick, they automatically know how to drive - what crap! Unless it is the old mate Buddy 1
Yeah a comment like calling someone Pin Dick goes to show just how smart you really are & yes I could drive & change gears at 12 however I did not say I was perfect at it from the start, it did take a short period of practise to be perfect lol BUT I did teach Myself & never found Reverse to be too Fast!

Think about your comments in the Future & try your best to refrain from name calling HUH
Old 28-02-2008, 12:40 PM   #68
Rev28K
re

Location: Victoria - where being slow & incompetent is considered being "safe"

Quote:
Some of you guys should attend a few club sprints. There are some VERY competitive chicks driving in them, well above my skill level, and some of them as good as the best guys in the club.

Moral of the story – never underestimate someone’s driving ability because of their sex.
Scuderia Rev: Otto the tow pig - 2007 3.0 litre Coupé, vernünftig schnelle aber kein peilstab, Bathurst 2007 und 2010 zwölf Stunde Gewinner Jaffa the angry ant - mid 70's Honda 市民の, 73 と立方インチ LSD Elle "the body" shell - early 70's Datsun フェアレディ coupe. いい体は彼女の内側、内側と土台を待つ
Old 28-02-2008, 12:41 PM   #69
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

i love how people get wound up! just a bit of practice bud you be right. my missus got some bad habits from her driving instructor im still annoying her .no offence to you instructors ,but you are just regular people with regular skills , mate in regards to the reversing im guessing you mean timeslike reversing out of a park ? after car is moving just depress clutch again the car will roll easy enough . riding a clutch for the couple seconds it takes to get out will not hurt it .
Old 28-02-2008, 12:52 PM   #70
xtremerus
FG XR6T trayback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessej

Sloth puts it quite well to answer your questions. With the gearing down question it depends on your situation, in normal situations generally I would gear down using the engine to break, it puts less strain on the breaks etc... helps with wear on the pads I guess.
Brake pads are cheaper and easier to replace, than clutches and syncro rings in my opinion.
Old 28-02-2008, 01:13 PM   #71
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremerus
Brake pads are cheaper and easier to replace, than clutches and syncro rings in my opinion.
You would think some people are made of money
Old 28-02-2008, 01:32 PM   #72
3vXT

Top thread A+++ will read again

Quote:
+1
Old 28-02-2008, 01:57 PM   #73
Marlin_Girl
I wish I was a Pursuit...

lol!

Buddy 1, your original mention of women began with: "...unless you are a girl", which says something definitive about all women, not "many" women which you are trying to fall back on now. Bringing gender in any way into a discussion on driving skills is just bad form, whether you're talking about men or women.

ILLaViTaR, i know what you mean about reverse being too fast in some cars. My reverse is too fast even without any acceleration. To some extent you can have to clutch all the way out and use the brake to slow you down, but if the revs get too low you will stall, so I tend to feather the clutch when i'm reversing.

pics of my ute HERE
Old 28-02-2008, 03:04 PM   #74
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
And the number of Women who have trouble with such things as Changing gears is much Higher than Men & this is a fact, one which you will not admit about Women in general & did I say you cannot change gears well or that All Women cannot???
And your thesis is titled?

With all these "facts" you are quoting I am assuming there is a documented study behind them? Can you please point me in the direction I would find it, in which library?
Old 28-02-2008, 03:11 PM   #75
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

On the subject of reverse, in some cars and EA - EL's spring to mind, reverse is actually taller than 1st. I will have a look around for the ratio's, but if someone can beat me to it, go for it.

EDIT: Falcon EL gear ratio's:
1st 3.23
2nd 1.99
3rd 1.29
4th 1.00
5th 0.72 - -
Reverse 3.15 Reverse is slightly taller than 1st on the EL (I will keep looking to support my case more) Which actually means they will go faster in reverse than in 1st

Also on the matter of brakes versus gears to slow down.

Brakes work on 4 wheels, mostly front, gears work on rear wheel (rear wheel drive) and front wheels (front wheel drive), 50% braking effeciency.

Brakes are designed for slowing/stopping, gears are designed to get you to a road speed and maintain, using fuel efficiency along the way, different jobs, different applications.

As a side issue, as cars get older, 2nd gear synchro gets really dodgey - correct? Reason? - People use them as brakes, in other words selecting the gear at a too high speed for what they were designed for, thus they give out after a time.

Use you brakes to slow/stop, then select the correct gear for the speed you are doing. After all isn't that what most race car drivers do (sequential gearboxes exempt)

Last edited by Trevor 57; 28-02-2008 at 03:31 PM.
Old 28-02-2008, 03:40 PM   #76
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

BA Falcon Gear ratios:

1st 3.35
2nd 1.93
3rd 1.29
4th 1.00
5th 0.73
Reverse 3.15

Again, reverse is taller that 1st (1st is lower ratio'ed on this model), meaning it will go even faster in reverse than in 1st

I reckon my point is proven, what do all you reckon? :
Old 28-02-2008, 03:53 PM   #77
Plugg3r
Bogan w/ Wheels?

Wow man this is what happens to city boys

When doing you test dont roll with the clutch in, in the test they'll ask you to do it gearing down.

When I drive normally I go for gear down 5>3>2 then clutch and stop.
But up to you and the car, my 1st is geared low and would make me pull up quickly.

Get in a manual go out whoop whoop and take her for a burn.
Old 28-02-2008, 04:06 PM   #78
XCSEDAN
i'm baaaack....

Quote:
if you wreck your clutch synchro rings double clutching then your not doing it right.... :S
and no offence but as for never needing it, id be real surprised if you drove the XC and dropped it into second from third without ripping it in and ruining the gearbox over time...

oh yeah, im kinda surprised how some people can't reverse because the idles too high, it should be around 800rpm or thereabouts..... should be plenty low enough to reverse with the clutch out, obviously you dont release it all the way out when parking though if that is what your talking about...
Old 28-02-2008, 05:24 PM   #79
Buddy 1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlin_Girl
lol!

Buddy 1, your original mention of women began with: "...unless you are a girl", which says something definitive about all women, not "many" women which you are trying to fall back on now. Bringing gender in any way into a discussion on driving skills is just bad form, whether you're talking about men or women.

ILLaViTaR, i know what you mean about reverse being too fast in some cars. My reverse is too fast even without any acceleration. To some extent you can have to clutch all the way out and use the brake to slow you down, but if the revs get too low you will stall, so I tend to feather the clutch when i'm reversing.
Firstly you took part of a Sentence & not the whole Sentence which makes it a case of making it look like something it is not & then you make your Bold Statements based on inaccurate information that you posted.

The Line you took a small bit from in total was this:

well unless you are a girl as many Girls seem to have trouble with manuals moreso than Guys.

OMG what a surprise the whole Sentence has many in it, what was your argument again?

And it was not that post which feathers replied to anyway it was the next one was it not?

So it was not the one I had in mind either when I replied to what she said.

And you also say reverse is too fast, it is your throttle position that determines how fast you will go in Reverse or even 1st as if you only use enough to avoid stalling it then it cannot be fast, it is fast because you use too much Throttle though to say fast is still wrong what you all mean is to say because it is low geared it does not take much to get it to accelerate.

Why bad form to mention truthfully that Women in larger numbers than Men are not as good at Driving or gear Changing if it is True as it is??

It is only annoying to you & others because of the thin skins Many women seem to have & if you say something in a general sense because of the thin skin & sisterhood thing as I have pointed out Women say plenty about men as a Gender & do we all get upset about it?

The Truth is a larger number of Women drivers get nervous behind the wheel & tend to sit close to it with both hands squeezing the wheel at 11 & 2 positions approx & would have no luck avoiding an accident etc because of this.

And it is Mostly Women or Old Men who will brake at the wrong times, stop at Roundabouts even when is no Traffic or go from one side of the lane to the other while going around bends.

You only need to be observant while Driving to notice this, I see it every day & have never seen a man driving in a Nervous fashion in my Life, well apart from some on L's

So Accept it as not to either means you are Lying to yourself or only see what is straight ahead of you while Driving which is important of course however you should be able to see ahead while also noticing all around you as what would happen if a kid on a Bike came out from a Driveway to your side just as you were level with him etc...

So get over it Girls as we cannot all be good Drivers
Old 28-02-2008, 05:51 PM   #80
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

Quote:
when I say Women I mean Girly type Girls & not masculine Butch Types as they are more like men & in their case can steer a Truck or whatever with the best of men as they are Like men lol
I was going to take offence to this, but I'm late for an appointment with my hairdresser, and my fresh pink nailpolish might chip.

Quote:
Some or many People in general have trouble thinking :
Clearly.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Old 28-02-2008, 06:14 PM   #81
Marlin_Girl
I wish I was a Pursuit...

I could go through every sentence in your reply to try to make you look like an idiot too, but I would be wasting everybody's time, so I’ll be brief.

I was only reminding you what you said in the first place, as an explanation of why people were getting offended. And you too defended yourself by using only a part of your sentence, which was my whole point! And unfortunately, the truth is not always connected to being appropriate or in good form. I could say a lot of things which are fact, but also offensive and inappropriate.

I personally wasn't offended or annoyed by your comment at all, because I don’t value it, so there is nothing for me to ‘get over’, and nor am I ‘lying to myself’. I was just pointing out that it’s easier to leave things like that alone, out of respect, in a public forum.

Btw I don’t expect a 10,000 word essay in reply; I could just about predict everything you would say anyway.

pics of my ute HERE
Old 28-02-2008, 07:28 PM   #82
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Why bad form to mention truthfully that Women in larger numbers than Men are not as good at Driving or gear Changing if it is True as it is??

The Truth is a larger number of Women drivers get nervous behind the wheel & tend to sit close to it with both hands squeezing the wheel at 11 & 2 positions approx & would have no luck avoiding an accident etc because of this.

And it is Mostly Women or Old Men who will brake at the wrong times, stop at Roundabouts even when is no Traffic or go from one side of the lane to the other while going around bends.

You only need to be observant while Driving to notice this, I see it every day & have never seen a man driving in a Nervous fashion in my Life, well apart from some on L's

So get over it Girls as we cannot all be good Drivers
Yes I have clipped out the sentences on which to focus.

As I have said, I have 20+ years experience as a driver trainer, and I have already refuted your rubbish.

I now want you to justify your experience in training women/girls to make such judgments. Lay your experience on me brother!!!!!

Or, are they, as appear to be, casual observations when you are out driving, cutting a few laps with your hat on backwards and the doof, doof going full blast?
Old 28-02-2008, 07:32 PM   #83
boss-290

You put your left foot in, you take your left foot out....
Old 28-02-2008, 07:34 PM   #84
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And please share with us how you came to determine that you are a good driver, never any infrigements, never any accidents or slow speed bumps into fixed objects or near misses of any kind?

I have been driving since I was 12 also, I am now 51 and I have been trained to the highest level in defensive driving techniques, including high speed pursuit techniques.

I have trained emergency service drivers, truck drivers, bus drivers, car drivers, L Plater, disabled drivers. I even drive a race car for a hobby, YET, I wouldn't class myself as a "good driver", everyone makes mistakes.

And while you are there, please tell us all why many mining companies would rather employ women to drive the big 150 tonne dump trucks instead of men?
Old 28-02-2008, 07:50 PM   #85
LPGUTE

i think girls are good at multitasking

2001 AUII Factory LPG Manual XL Styleside Box
High series bonnet
Clear Side Indicator
K&N Air Filter
BAXR6T Snorkle
Low Fronts, Super Low Leafs

Old 28-02-2008, 08:07 PM   #86
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Trev
And please share with us how you came to determine that you are a good driver, never any infrigements, never any accidents or slow speed bumps into fixed objects or near misses of any kind?

I have been driving since I was 12 also, I am now 51 and I have been trained to the highest level in defensive driving techniques, including high speed pursuit techniques.

I have trained emergency service drivers, truck drivers, bus drivers, car drivers, L Plater, disabled drivers. I even drive a race car for a hobby, YET, I wouldn't class myself as a "good driver", everyone makes mistakes.

And while you are there, please tell us all why many mining companies would rather employ women to drive the big 150 tonne dump trucks instead of men?
Aw Geez, there ya go again Trev. Ruining a fun thread with facts and logic :
Old 28-02-2008, 08:18 PM   #87
blueprint babe

I seem to have started something here and didnt come back to finish it.
I accidently posted under the boyfriends log in name (342PURSUIT) and not my own.
To all the guys on FF that have posted in defence of women drivers I thank you.....
To Buddy 1, I say welcome to the 21st century....and while Im not some girly girl, I would definately say Im no "butch" type either.
Illavator, good luck with your driving and I hope some of the comments have helped you
Old 28-02-2008, 08:22 PM   #88
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
Aw Geez, there ya go again Trev. Ruining a fun thread with facts and logic :
I love it

: : :
Old 28-02-2008, 10:22 PM   #89
daniel_rossy
AU Falcon

Quote:
Ya Joking right?

It is all common sense & everyone should know answers to the questions you have asked, use your feet & brain at the same time & it is easy :P

And YOU had 2 lessons from a teacher, more than I had & I started Driving a manual with no help when I was 12 lol
Give him a break mate, you just cant pick up a guitar and know how to play it. 2 Lessons dont do much, spesh if your under pressure of having a stranger next to you and what they will say if you stuff up.
Old 29-02-2008, 12:54 AM   #90
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

And while you are there, please tell us all why many mining companies would rather employ women to drive the big 150 tonne dump trucks instead of men ......... thats not quite right most of them are because they are short of housing /people alreadythere etc and they drive em as well as us im not on the anti women thing but dont state things like they are better or worse because as you know as an instructor both can be bad .i think all should just drop this 1 its not helping our learner friend !