Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-12-2008, 05:14 PM   #61
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

The diesel engine in my Paj has seen 4500 revs. Doesn't sound good let me tell you.

Probably just trying to talk it up.

*leaves and heads back into obscurity*
Old 08-12-2008, 05:21 PM   #62
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Wheels magazine claim a 80-120 of 3.9seconds for the FG XR8 and 3.7 for the M3, so I'm rather interested as to how quick its time will be.

Last edited by irlewy86; 08-12-2008 at 05:31 PM. Reason: sp3lling
irlewy86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2008, 09:03 PM   #63
cheek
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

it would be faster when the mazda is dong 100 and the v8's doin 80
cheek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2008, 10:06 PM   #64
Bent8
Long live the GT !

Quote:
Originally Posted by FG Turbo Ute
But does the Mazda have a weight advantage.
No it doesn't, the Mazda may weigh around 1500kg vs the GT's 1880kg...but the power/weight ratios tell another story.

Mazda 6 - 121hp/tonne
FPV GT - 225hp/tonne.

"Whatya think of me car, XR Falcon, 351 Blown Cleveland running Motec injection and runnin' on methanol... goes pretty hard too, got heaps of torque for chucking burnouts, IT'S UNREAL !!" - Poida
Bent8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2008, 11:11 PM   #65
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
maybe we should look back at LeMans and see what position the "Tree Huggers" were placed at the finish line.
Oh, thats right, FIRST by a load of laps.
what you mean the million dollar purpose built race car...yeah you make a good valid point in the thread bud
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2008, 07:42 PM   #66
Carby

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOOT
Ofcourse it does, but you don't have to slip the clutch when towing 3000kg uphill, just let it out and away you go.

An it will use 30% less fuel than a Falcon around town.

Horses for Courses...

It would want to - it will cost 30 cents a litre more than petrol to fill.

Also - they spew out Carcinogenics - why greenies are not screaming about this is beyond me, Co2 has a use, plants use it, diesel particulants just kill people...................I'd ban all diesels in Oz that don't run particulant filters and would ensure they are regularly changed.
Carby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2008, 08:08 PM   #67
kpcart
Banned

apparently its 5.8 seconds 80-120 in this mazda in 4th gear, which is better then aussie v8sin foruth gear 0-120.

Most diesels have particulant filters now, and the fuel efficiency is great.

My friend drives a merc diesel and its great! it even has a sporty kind of note and its very fast around town for a passenger car.

i dont see why there are people slagging off diesels in this day and age. It is pathetic bogan mentality that having some hi-po petrol engine in your car makes you. Most diesels on the market now are better engines then the ford straight 6 engine most people in this forum drive (me included).

My ford 4.0L ED stock makes 348nm torque and uses twice as much fuel as my friend's Merc 1.9L 4 cylinder diesel which makes 400nm. both weigh about 1500kg and both go 0-100 in about 8 or 9 seconds.

This mazda people are talking about also has 400nm and that is very nice to have for comfortable driving, not everyone wants a 300kw v8, as it is pointless on public roads, and not everyone has the urge to floor the throttle at the lights when it goes green, because not everyone has immaturity issues in their head thinking they are impressing someone by pressing the gas pedal harder. Some people dont care if someone next to them takes off faster then them, ie normal people, and modern diesels are perfect for people like that.
kpcart is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2008, 08:20 PM   #68
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carby
It would want to - it will cost 30 cents a litre more than petrol to fill.

Also - they spew out Carcinogenics - why greenies are not screaming about this is beyond me, Co2 has a use, plants use it, diesel particulants just kill people...................I'd ban all diesels in Oz that don't run particulant filters and would ensure they are regularly changed.
Its the NoX that more dangerous, hence why Euro 4 brings the levels down to minimal levels. Also by your reasoning, Any car that was built before 1986 should be banned.
Old 10-12-2008, 09:25 PM   #69
bd737

kpcart, the straight six in your ED is no comparison to the Barra 190/195. Show me a diesel engine with the same power, smoothness and refinement for $36k drive away. And once on gas, cheaper to run.
Old 10-12-2008, 09:26 PM   #70
xurbanx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The thread title reads "Mazda claims...", doesn't that mean it's without proof? Like how Nissan claimed the beat Porsche's record around the ring. To me it's all personal opinion, or the marketing managers opinion!

Couldn't care less if it's true or not, but some people just need to relax. The mentality that V8's are the be all and end all of all engines seems to be abundant here...

Remember not all of the Aussie population are car enthusiasts, chances are, it's a marketing ploy to attact more customers towards buying their cars
Old 11-12-2008, 04:09 PM   #71
Carby

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Its the NoX that more dangerous, hence why Euro 4 brings the levels down to minimal levels. Also by your reasoning, Any car that was built before 1986 should be banned.
Thats what diesels spew out more than petrol cars - NOx.

Well seeing you can't get leaded petrol anymore I fail to see the logic in your last sentence.
Carby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2008, 06:18 PM   #72
Luke3000

Its all gearing
Luke3000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2008, 07:54 PM   #73
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carby
Thats what diesels spew out more than petrol cars - NOx.

Well seeing you can't get leaded petrol anymore I fail to see the logic in your last sentence.
Cause in all seriousness your statement didn't affect you. But as soon as I said leaded cars should be taken off the road you took the bait. Cars make up a small amount of pollution. There are diesel engines in Australia that have very little regulation but they're not on our roads.