Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-03-2009, 07:37 PM   #61
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAREV8
......As he already stated in that post, 0-100 in 6.9.
Which proves my point, its does not accelerate very quickly for a car that has over 800 hp.

I was never trying to bag the guy, but just look at the dyno graph, it makes nothing below 4000rpm. That was the point I made after looking at the graph. No doubt once on boost it would be an absolute rocket but if it came down to a drag race the opposition would be well gone before that.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2009, 05:25 PM   #62
RAREV8
Previously ScottishXC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Which proves my point, its does not accelerate very quickly for a car that has over 800 hp.

I was never trying to bag the guy, but just look at the dyno graph, it makes nothing below 4000rpm. That was the point I made after looking at the graph. No doubt once on boost it would be an absolute rocket but if it came down to a drag race the opposition would be well gone before that.

I am not disputing this- I just didn't agree with the way that some people directly castigated this car whilst know ing very little about it....nothing wrong with doubting things but give the guy a chance to explain what and why he has done what he has.

With regards to the 6.9 0-100 speed...sure, not that fast but it depends upon the application. My 351 would struggle to get within 2 secs of that and even heavily worked ones (street legal and registered) that can reach 200mph will be VERY thin on the ground.
I imagine that of those that can, they wouldn't last too long without needing serious maintainence either!

It clearly was not built as a drag car so its not really overly important...it is still a 20 year old 2L that can run rings around my '09 G6 4.0L- even 0-100!!

BJ
Gilesie
XAGTCoupe
Pilch
Aussie_afroman
Donut King
Bad Boy Benny
BAWITHLOT
Greenmachine
Pinkbits
CUZ351
OhioXB
Falconunbelievable
4VXC
Uncleraggy

FG G6 Ego, tech pack, Tropic gold 1973 Landau, Cosmic blue 1975 P5 LTD....long term project
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Im just bored of the single/narrow minded...
RAREV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2009, 09:33 AM   #63
smciner1
Detroit Locker Equiped TM

Before this becomes too much nore of a slanging match, just to clarify, when we say 0 - 100 are we talking km/h or mph?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJUCY
Simple give the car a rev & have a listen a Windsor makes a sort of wheezy drone similar to an angry Hugh Grant when a Clevo will sound like Satan has woke up with a hangover & realized he is out of coffee & cigarettes
Falcon GT Club of Geelong.
http://www.facebook.com/FalconGTClubGeelong
smciner1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2009, 02:29 PM   #64
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

It would have to be in mph, that is what they use in the UK, and also 0-100km/h in 6.9s is nothing special whereas 0-100mph is McLaren F1 type speed. I think the "wait 20sec to get going" comment refers to the turbo spool/lag time, not when the stopwatch starts. It exists, no getting around it, even a standard F6 has 1/2 a second (roughly) from hitting the pedal to getting boost and really moving. Still a very impressive machine.

Rod have you run it down the quarter mile at Santa Pod? It would be interesting to see the numbers and would be more easily comparable to what we are used to. (eg against CAT600's gain of 32mph from 1/8 to 1/4 mile in his AU)
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2009, 05:49 PM   #65
ehast13
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

just to clarify a few things.

For those who bring up sierra reliability...

Pole in 1990 and 1992 was a sierra with a 2:12.89. The sierra's had been restricted by 1992 but had picked up their times again in less than 24 months.

so...

A sierra wouldn't really need anymore power. Keep power where it is and put 17-19years into tyres, chassis, cage, reliability, brakes, aero and see if lops a few seconds off.

It would be a pig to drive (much like many high power small capacity turbo's) but with today's tech it wouldn't be as bad as it was. I've driven a 450hp lancer (around 330kw) and it surprised me as to how tractable it was.

big capacity na motors and small capacity turbos have completely different driving experiences. They can both be quick but it is how they get there that differs.

The fact that cossie motors are still being turbo'd to huge psi and living amazes the hell out of me.

It was usually the head gasket or turbo's that failed in the group A days (rarely the actual motor)
ehast13 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post