Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-10-2012, 10:55 PM   #61
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: New QLD hoon laws...this is a worry.

I have driven a couple stand out cars , 1 being my current GT. been pulled over once for being seen hanging around at a macca's car park which is a know hot spot for hoons. I started to drive home and cop who drove through the car park about 15 minutes before pulls me over for a licence check, second time was in Broadmeadows for a road side drug test, got pulled into the line up.

Now my other stand out car was my TE Cortina it was bright green and got pulled over countless times, once or twice a week. I had this car when I first got my licence and used to drive like an idiot 90 per cent if the time.

IMO only reason you get targeted is you drive like an idiot, now I am older I cruise everywhere as the mrs says i drive like an old woman. I barley get pulled over.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2012, 11:13 PM   #62
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I agree that all cops hoon, seen one of them do a massive slide in an XR6T coming out of a petrol station about 2 years ago.

When I had my first car I had a loud exhaust and went cruising through Bris CBD, weaving in and out of cars like a moron (hindsight is always 20/20) and got pulled over.

Explained I was testing the new exhaust and he just says "I know how it is mate, I had a 9 second kingswood. Just drive safe so everyone can enjoy their night in one piece".

First time I'd ever been pulled up, one of the few I can say was enjoyable.
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2012, 11:02 AM   #63
ChRiDDa

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/ma...014-27kko.html <-- this is a prime example of why I'm all for tougher hoon laws
As being one of the first responders to this incident, seeing what I saw this morning is something that will stay with me for the rest of my days. A timely reminder that we all need to take care out on the roads and that no matter how good we think we can drive or how well our vehicle can handle, how many safety features it has etc, nothing overrides the laws of physics..
enough said
ChRiDDa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2012, 11:21 AM   #64
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChRiDDa
http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/ma...014-27kko.html <-- this is a prime example of why I'm all for tougher hoon laws
As being one of the first responders to this incident, seeing what I saw this morning is something that will stay with me for the rest of my days. A timely reminder that we all need to take care out on the roads and that no matter how good we think we can drive or how well our vehicle can handle, how many safety features it has etc, nothing overrides the laws of physics..
enough said
So was he doing a burnout, drifting or street racing?

Police don't seem to know as they want anyone who witnessed it to call crime stoppers......
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2012, 11:23 AM   #65
ChRiDDa

cant comment too much, other than to say speed was a major contributing factor
Old 14-10-2012, 11:24 AM   #66
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
cant comment too much, other than to say speed was a major contributing factor
The new hoon laws are not about speed, they are about street racing, burnouts and drifting.
Old 14-10-2012, 11:27 AM   #67
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
enough said
Article says anyone who witnessed the accident should contact CrimeStoppers? So a car crash is a crime scene and having a car accident is also a crime.
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2012, 11:32 AM   #68
ChRiDDa

Crime Stoppers is used to funnel information from a wide variety of souces into useful information to the investigating members
It's also used as a central point for one of a better term for people to contact - rather than individual stations
The scene becomes a "crime scene" as someone has died as a result - evidence needs to be preserved that could provide answers as to what has occurred - after all, if there are no witnesses, thats all that we can rely upon
Old 14-10-2012, 11:32 AM   #69
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia
Article says anyone who witnessed the accident should contact CrimeStoppers? So a car crash is a crime scene and having a car accident is also a crime.
Ahh.. if the guy was doing burn outs, drifting, street racing then yes. He was breaking the law prior to the accident and it may have contributed to the accident. Gee is it so hard to understand POLICE INVESTIGATE CRASHES???

This COP BASHING CRAP ON HERE IS BECOMING SO TIRESOME

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2012, 11:35 AM   #70
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Another point to consider is that this crash was in Victoria where there are squillions of hidden speed cameras and the toughest traffic laws in the country.

Maybe one day someone will work out that creating a traffic act that focuses on revenue first and road safety second is not effective at saving lives.......
Old 14-10-2012, 11:35 AM   #71
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
The new hoon laws are not about speed, they are about street racing, burnouts and drifting.

Ive always been a believer in build it and they will come
Build off street events,make em regular and within the budget ,then if people carry on like idiots throw the book at em
What happens when stoopid laws are implemented, people get caught in the burbs,they head outta the burbs,where theres less population and the stoopidity factor increases,more speed,more races,more burnouts
It can never be stopped,the rules mite get tuffer, but people will find a way to act the tool, its human nature
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2012, 11:57 AM   #72
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 XC
Build off street events,make em regular and within the budget ,then if people carry on like idiots throw the book at em
What happens when stoopid laws are implemented, people get caught in the burbs,they head outta the burbs,where theres less population and the stoopidity factor increases,more speed,more races,more burnouts
It can never be stopped,the rules mite get tuffer, but people will find a way to act the tool, its human nature
You wouldn't be able to build it because you get all those not in my backyard tossers, like the people who moved in behind the calder race track and then complain about noise, or the people wanting Essendon Airport closed because they moved in near there and complain about noise from planes, or Sandown race track, people moved in near there and again complain about noise.

Even Moone Valley race course, the horse racing track has had to reduce the number of meetings because of residents complaining about noise.

You could put it in the middle of the ocean and someone will still complain.

Car enthusiasts are now hoons, and the media will make sure everyone hates you, the government/local councils are only interested in doing something that will win them votes, building a race track and ruffling feathers won't.

When ol' mate Bob Jane dies, I bet Calder will be destroyed and a new suburb will form.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2012, 11:58 AM   #73
The Monty
Just slidin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia
Crimestoppers doesnt only deal specifically with crimes. They deal with taking information for all types of offences.

Last edited by flappist; 14-10-2012 at 12:44 PM. Reason: fixed quote
The Monty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2012, 01:10 PM   #74
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 XC
I am sick of this argument, people are not interested in doing it legally, Calder park which is around 30 minutes drive out of the Melbourne CBD and is located in the western suburbs, had to call off the off street drags 2 weeks ago because they could not get enough people. Calder is not out of the way, is a great venue, but for some reason, when everyone complains no legal events, and there is one, no one turns up to run there car.

I know heaps of guys who drift and race on the street, for them the reason they do it on the street, is because they can. Build more tracks in Melbourne and no one will turn up IMO.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2012, 01:32 PM   #75
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta_Man69
Nothing to worry about. NSW has had similar laws for years and not one car has been crushed (the legalities apparently are a nightmare: insurance, finance, definition of "hoon", admissable evidence etc). It's just chest beating from the govt. that's all.
Any Idea how many cars have been permanently confiscated in NSW?
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2012, 02:47 PM   #76
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled
I am sick of this argument, people are not interested in doing it legally, Calder park which is around 30 minutes drive out of the Melbourne CBD and is located in the western suburbs, had to call off the off street drags 2 weeks ago because they could not get enough people. Calder is not out of the way, is a great venue, but for some reason, when everyone complains no legal events, and there is one, no one turns up to run there car.

I know heaps of guys who drift and race on the street, for them the reason they do it on the street, is because they can. Build more tracks in Melbourne and no one will turn up IMO.
Yes because the whole of Australia is in Melbourne........

30 years ago road signs were more often than not full of bullet holes. Then gun ranges were built all over the place and now a hole in a road sign is rather rare. Of course this mostly applies the the 99% of Australia that is not in Melbourne.
Old 14-10-2012, 02:54 PM   #77
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

At the moment there is a push to build a full time facility in Townsville (track, burn out pad, motor cross, drags etc)... The drag strip closed down last month due to many reasons (attendance isnt one of them).

Those who are responsible owners of cars are the ones pushing for it as no one has anywhere to go here.

While its not a 100% solution, it does give the rest of us somewhere to hang out, do what we want legally and get it out of our system.

Its only the wannabes how will continue to act like idiots on the road.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2012, 02:56 PM   #78
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Doesn't help when the Police sit outside events such as Powercruise booking people for having vehicles that are not technically 100% compliant, but driven quietly, carefully and rarely on the street (so much safer than your average burnt out yellow cab with a half asleep 12 hour driver at the wheel)

More alternatives for car enthusiasts would help IMO

Oh and Jim Goose, while the Police bashing is predictable, it's got nothing on your posts, Officer
Shonky. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2012, 04:21 PM   #79
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craiginmackay
You are quick to judge. What's more you are making quite a few assumptions there and drawing quite a long bow at that. Good on you for not getting caught speeding in your area while driving powerful vehicles but passing a car on the M4 is a different kettle of fish compared to passing a truck on a busy single carriageway highway. All you need to do is set the cruise and if anyone is travelling slower than you, change lanes. So easy not to speed in that situation compared to this circumstance!

Keeping in mind that this didn't happen in Sydney where there are dual carriageways everywhere , but in a fairly isolated area( but quite busy due to the high volume of traffic associated with the mining industry) of central qld with passing lanes about as common as rocking horse poo, to only get to 118 while passing a truck is pretty tame. You may not actually get that if you spend the bulk of your time on the m4 though, in which case you really should take the time to consider it.
We don't all get to travel on that awesome road infrastructure like you. Some of us have to live out in these areas to pull the black stuff out of the ground so that the government has money to pay for all those fancy roads you enjoy.
Now you are the one making assumptions I guess

I have not driven on the M4 in years and am no where near Sydney or dual carriageways, as a matter of fact the closest shop or petrol station is 100km away from where I live. If it rains I get cut off from any shops as the roads become impassable, and I deal with road trains and single lane country roads and dirt roads daily, as matter of fact most of my time is spend in 4x4's on dirt roads

So much for your assumptions

So 118 passing a truck is tame??? Well if you are happy to do the crime and think travelling at 118 while overtaking a truck is Ok then you better be happy to get the police attention, as 118 no matter what road you are on, how close or far you are from Sydney, is breaking the law, no if's, no but's, no may be's

So if you don't like police attention may be try something new, try something different or novel.........stay within a law and the police attention will stay away from you

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2012, 05:30 PM   #80
falconnut
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

welp there goes my plans for a nice fun qld road trip.

on behalf on NSW i feel sorry for you queerslanders.

Looks like its either lakeside or nothing eh
falconnut is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2012, 05:37 PM   #81
NAK302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose

This COP BASHING CRAP ON HERE IS BECOMING SO TIRESOME
i know a few coppers up Townsville/Ayre/Mackay way, the crap thrown is well deserved.
NAK302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2012, 06:02 PM   #82
big_landau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

so if you are driving a new fg gt,go around a roundabout or corner squeel the wheels your car will be taken for 3 months,you lose you job,lose your house,most likley lose your wife and get the pleasure of still paying for the car and then have to pay storage fees at the impound yard.
ok then if someone gets caught with a bag of speed in there pocket on the corner who has just sold some to some young teenagers goes to court and gets a good behaviour bond and a $300 fine.
well im no expert but that just dosnt seem right to me.
big_landau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2012, 06:25 PM   #83
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_landau
so if you are driving a new fg gt,go around a roundabout or corner squeel the wheels your car will be taken for 3 months,you lose you job,lose your house,most likley lose your wife and get the pleasure of still paying for the car and then have to pay storage fees at the impound yard.
ok then if someone gets caught with a bag of speed in there pocket on the corner who has just sold some to some young teenagers goes to court and gets a good behaviour bond and a $300 fine.
well im no expert but that just dosnt seem right to me.
This is why there are magistrates.
Old 14-10-2012, 06:28 PM   #84
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe
Well why else was the car pulled over if not manner of driving (speeding), or are you suggesting had your son not been speeding in your car he would still have been pulled over?? Any with the amount of police attention your car has been getting he probably gave them attitude, I mean I wasn't there, but seems a lot of attention for a simple speeding offence, would not be surprised if the officer placed a warning on the vehicle about the poor attitude of driver, hence the attention (I am only speculating of course as I was not there)

Or is your son a P plater?? If yes the police might have put a notice on the vehicle saying it may be driven by a P plater and if the vehicle is seen without P plates it will be stopped to ascertain driver.

All possibilities for the police attention.

I guess we never know, but chances are he would not have drawn attention to himself if the vehicle/driver had he not been breaking the law, and yes once you break the law it is the police officers job to do something about it.
Sorry, there seems to have been a misunderstanding with what I said.
My son was done for speeding in my old Celica...fair and just, he deserved it, he knows he did the wrong thing and copped the fine on the chin (though you could make an argument that overtaking a semi dropping rocks all over the road was in fact the "safe" thing to do).

The problem started in the following weeks when I started driving it around again...it suddenly became "more visible" than normal because it had just been pulled over. The driver was irrelevant...the very visible car which the cops now knew had been involved in an offence was what was relevant and "worthy" of "keeping an eye on" for a while apparently.

Last edited by 2011G6E; 14-10-2012 at 06:38 PM.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2012, 06:28 PM   #85
big_landau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

they dont seem to be doing there job right either,when its cheaper to deal drugs with less problems something is wrong.
big_landau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2012, 07:02 PM   #86
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So basically if you're not an idiot you don't have to worry.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2012, 07:04 PM   #87
The Monty
Just slidin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconnut
welp there goes my plans for a nice fun qld road trip.

on behalf on NSW i feel sorry for you queerslanders.

OR QR raceway, Willowbank for drag racing, Archerfield, that track down at Norwell, MT Cotton training centre can be hired, or as you said Lakeside. And if you cant get onto any of those, you have Roadcraft skidpan in Gympie, Morgan Park racetrack in Warwick, with an 1/8th mile drag track as well, Carnell Raceway in Stanthorpe......
I mean come on, all you guys saying we need more facilities, BULL. Willowbank, Wednesday nights, $42, and get 10 runs at least on the drag track, rip some skids in front of cameras etc.

The people they are targeting for these hooning laws are not Jo Blow, they are all the douchebags ripping it up in industrial areas, and racing on the highway, not speeding, RACING, DRIFTING, DOING BURNOUTS ON PUBLIC STREETS, not accidentally getting a bit of tyre screech around a round about.
For godsake you people need to look at your supplies of common sense, as it seems like levels are depleting.

I question all of you posting about this in a negative way, this:
Have you ever been booked and charged under a HOONING offence. SPECIFICALLY a HOONING offence?
If not, what is there to worry about?
Old 14-10-2012, 07:15 PM   #88
XR6TCraig
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe
Now you are the one making assumptions I guess
Not really making any assumptions mate. Just reading your bio which states you live in Western Sydney. Not my fault you are too scared to be more specific than that, or are too lazy to change the location if you have moved.

As for 118kph, yes that is tame. If you dont believe me, phone a friend............................................ .....from Germany!

Many westernized countries have speed limits higher than that. Considering the vast distances that we need to cover in Aus, plus the total lack of public transport available, it only makes sense that our limits should be higher too. Its only here with our draconian road laws designed to collect money over anything else that it is considered otherwise, particularly by those who belive the speed kills mantra that we have all been force fed! I woud put you into that group of belivers by the sound of it.
XR6TCraig is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2012, 07:32 PM   #89
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
Sorry, there seems to have been a misunderstanding with what I said.
My son was done for speeding in my old Celica...fair and just, he deserved it, he knows he did the wrong thing and copped the fine on the chin (though you could make an argument that overtaking a semi dropping rocks all over the road was in fact the "safe" thing to do).

The problem started in the following weeks when I started driving it around again...it suddenly became "more visible" than normal because it had just been pulled over. The driver was irrelevant...the very visible car which the cops now knew had been involved in an offence was what was relevant and "worthy" of "keeping an eye on" for a while apparently.
Yes no misunderstanding at all, if you re read my reply you will see my possible explanation for the car becoming more visible to police. The car was involved in an offence and is there for now known as a confirmed traffic offender, regardless of driver, as police will have no idea who is driving the car at any one time.

Part of the police job of prevention is to keep an eye on known offenders to modify their behaviour. For example is a car is known to belong to a drug dealer it will be targeted, if a car is known for unlicensed drivers it will be targeted, etc etc the car was recently involved in an offence, so it is targeted.

This is all getting a bit off topic really, but that's just how things work.

PS hopefully your son has learned that the 'safe thing to do' is to just slow down and drop back from the truck dropping the rocks, rather than risk his safety and license by breaking the law.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craiginmackay
Not really making any assumptions mate. Just reading your bio which states you live in Western Sydney. Not my fault you are too scared to be more specific than that, or are too lazy to change the location if you have moved.

As for 118kph, yes that is tame. If you dont believe me, phone a friend............................................ .....from Germany!

Many westernized countries have speed limits higher than that. Considering the vast distances that we need to cover in Aus, plus the total lack of public transport available, it only makes sense that our limits should be higher too. Its only here with our draconian road laws designed to collect money over anything else that it is considered otherwise, particularly by those who belive the speed kills mantra that we have all been force fed! I woud put you into that group of belivers by the sound of it.
What would I be scared off?? Have never even noticed the bio or what ever you call it, and I have better and more important things to worry about, like having a life.

Well it does not really make a difference what speed limits other countries have, unless of course you live in those countries, so feel free to move and then follow their road rules.

So on one side you complain how bad the roads are where you are and that you have no decent carriageways etc, yet you want to raise the speed limit??? Well the roads I travel on daily have a speed limit of 100km, but I don't think most cars would actually be ale to travel at that speed considering how bad teh roads are and how many kangaroos frequent them.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Last edited by XB GS 351 Coupe; 14-10-2012 at 07:44 PM.
XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2012, 07:34 PM   #90
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconnut
Lakeside is fantastic. For people in SEQ you need to get there, organise some happy laps and get out some frustration in a semi controlled environment, we did it again today and its a bloody blast, so much fun we are planning to do it more often. Gives you a feel for what your car is capable and i can assure you, you will reach your limit before your car does. I enjoyed it that much im thinking of attempting the Track Attack.
I mean im not a total angel on the road but i dont do utterly stupid things anymore either (I have lost my license, but was years ago for speeding not hooning).
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance

Last edited by DJM83; 14-10-2012 at 07:43 PM.
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post