Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-08-2012, 09:47 AM   #61
Fireblade
Wizard Member

Default Re: Highbeams saves $$

I don't flash oncoming traffic but I also don't stop for accidents, if people can't help themselves why should I help them, to have an accident they have obviously done something wrong so they deserve it right.
Old 21-08-2012, 09:53 AM   #62
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

You don't stop for accidents? Damn, I hope someone returns the same courtesy to you when you need it most.
Old 21-08-2012, 10:04 AM   #63
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6 FOON
I don't flash oncoming traffic but I also don't stop for accidents, if people can't help themselves why should I help them, to have an accident they have obviously done something wrong so they deserve it right.
Absolutely. I had not thought of that.

The penalties for having accidents are not high enough.
Should be at least 3 points and $500 no make that $1000.
And then have to have an "A" plate fitted for 3 years.
And their rego doubled.
And have "CRASHER" tattooed on their forehead.

If you OBEY and follow instructions exactly you are safe whereas if you think for yourself and try to work as well as possible with other road users you are a dangerous heretic.

Now I have to climb up on a very high horse to get a better signal so I whinge and complain on talk back radio and spew misanthropic drivel on the internet. Oh wow, look have many other people from this thread I can see up here......

I always laugh when I see the news items about some idiot who drove into a river or the ocean because "The GPS told me to".
I wonder what percentage drivers cannot function without being told what to do at all times.....

Last edited by flappist; 21-08-2012 at 10:16 AM.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2012, 10:16 AM   #64
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
so someone smacks into your missus and kids one day... no one stops to offer help... ey....
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2012, 10:17 AM   #65
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
so someone smacks into your missus and kids one day... no one stops to offer help... ey....
I suspect it was satire.......
Old 21-08-2012, 11:06 AM   #66
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

silly me had my serious hat on...
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2012, 11:06 AM   #67
Fireblade
Wizard Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
I suspect it was satire.......
Spot on Flappist.

Just pointing out the irony of not helping alert people to changing traffic conditions but when they have an accident being the first to jump out and help.

Getting done by a camera isn't slowing you down if you don't see it, what if you get done say doing 20 over and then have an accident 200m down the road and killed somebody who has it helped by getting caught by the camera, you don't find out for 2-3 weeks and in that time how many accidents could you have had. You flash them and they slow done instantly.
Old 21-08-2012, 11:18 AM   #68
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

Well, then I apologize for being a jerk.
Old 21-08-2012, 11:26 AM   #69
Fireblade
Wizard Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kable72
Well, then I apologize for being a jerk.
All good mate I was expecting those sort of responses, was just waiting to see if someone picked up on what I was trying to say.

I don't like speed cameras but I'm ok with the police using laser guns, at least that way you know you have been done, been given the fine on the spot and then proceed to slow down for a while after that.

Last edited by Fireblade; 21-08-2012 at 11:41 AM.
Fireblade is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2012, 11:29 AM   #70
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i flash, not to alert for police but potential hazzard ahead (like debris on the road).
Old 21-08-2012, 12:27 PM   #71
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I flash for hidden cops with hair dryers. They are the real snakes hiding behind bushes in the middle of nowhere.

I dont bother for cameras. You shouldnt be speeding past a parked car on the side of the road anyway!? And if you do, you deserve it as you are not concentrating. Same, I would not flash for RBTs set up, but the following has be thinking maybe I should!:

Funny one, I came round a corner flat out (not sliding but revving to redline and tilting!) in a 100 zone doing 100 to find a RBT bus behind the trees in a dangerous position! Had a cop waving at me furiously to slow down! haha. Braked very hard, perfectly to have a breath test! Wouldnt want to be them if I wasnt concentrating or ! Drunk! Bunch of idiots, seriously!!
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2012, 04:09 PM   #72
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

On the subject of "best position for speed trap" I have noticed a HUGE increase in the number of speed cameras and manned patrols at the far end of an overtaking section that is in a slow single lane area.

So rather than allow as many to get past the caravan on the wide multi-lane nice new smooth road they are enforcing the 100 so only a few can get past just making the trapped drivers even more frustrated and stressed.

And then they wonder why there seems to be less and less respect for them.....
Old 21-08-2012, 04:31 PM   #73
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

I will only give the highbeams a go if I have gone through an accident, especially where I am many, many drivers "do as they please" and will speed through accidents. Speed cameras I will too, pending how well hidden they are.

Otherwise you're on your own.
Old 21-08-2012, 05:06 PM   #74
Bearman
Moderator Ford Coupe Club

I used to only under certain circumstances. Under the old 10% or 10km/h tolerance I always believed if you got nabbed then you deserved it, unless the speed trap was at the bottom of a big hill or something like that.

Then the nanny state introduced the draconian "tolerance" we have now. Since then I always flash, every time.

Never at an RBT though, that's a different situation.

http://www.fordcoupeclub.org

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2012, 05:27 PM   #75
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Lol I got t boned by some drunk chick whilst going through a green light guess I really deserved that.. Her blood alcohol level was through the roof (taken to hospital and verified) but clearly my red P plates were more at fault. Good old society their logic is just as righteous as yours.

"they have obviously done something wrong so they deserve it right"

One day hopefully you'll grow a brain.
Old 21-08-2012, 05:31 PM   #76
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I do flash my lights to warn on coming drivers, but if they are going at ludicras speed I wont.

I'm happy to help a fellow motorist avoid a 0 - 15km over ticket but if it looks like there going well over that stuff em they can cop it

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2012, 05:32 PM   #77
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLaViTaR
refer to post #65
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2012, 05:40 PM   #78
Chopped
as in chopped

I use to flash my lights to warn of speed cameras but then I got busted one day. Detectives in an unmarked car pulled me over and held me up for about 10mins. Checked all of my car, told me off, etc, then let me off with a warning. Must have been a slow day for them !

I'm very wary of doing it now.
Old 21-08-2012, 05:41 PM   #79
Fireblade
Wizard Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLaViTaR
One day hopefully you'll grow a brain.
Maybe you should and read my posts after the one you quoted.
Old 21-08-2012, 05:46 PM   #80
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Spot on Flappist.

Just pointing out the irony of not helping alert people to changing traffic conditions but when they have an accident being the first to jump out and help.

Getting done by a camera isn't slowing you down if you don't see it, what if you get done say doing 20 over and then have an accident 200m down the road and killed somebody who has it helped by getting caught by the camera, you don't find out for 2-3 weeks and in that time how many accidents could you have had. You flash them and they slow done instantly.
Haha sorry mate, it's hard interpreting sarcasm over a forum. You can read some funny things online.
Old 21-08-2012, 05:56 PM   #81
Fireblade
Wizard Member

All good, and for the record I do stop to render assistance for accident victims, I have witnessed and been first on the scene for some crazy accidents that have haunted me for some time.

All this talk about speeders but no one really cares for the small but sometimes big/massive mistakes, things like failing to giveway or cutting people off. You may think it was a small mistake because it didn't result in an accident but what if it had, these types of incidents happen far more often than actual speeding (over the limit) does.

Maybe just maybe a high beam flash could save a life but how do you know when you have already passed them.
Old 21-08-2012, 11:39 PM   #82
GCRXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremerus
Back when it was legal to use the R/H blinker to tell the following driver that it is ok to overtake, a friends son overtook a truck that indicated, but the truck was actually turning off the highway.
Drove under the semi-trailer. Dead at only 18yrs.
That's why the practice was outlawed. If you have to attend to a victim who has been run over by a turning truck ... you'll know why. Heck ... I've nearly been a victim ... never will overtake any vehicle that flashed an indicator again.
Old 22-08-2012, 12:02 AM   #83
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Ive seen and used the left indicator to indicate to those behind me to overtake in unisen with moving as far left as safe and possible without getting off the road or onto the shoulder.

Plenty of that back in February when touring in convoy with a caravan. Not one single near miss from anybody. People saw the indicator and had a better view of oncoming as we moved over to the far left which means they dont have to move as far right as they would have needed to otherwise.
Only indicated when there was no oncoming for miles on end and a straight road.

Worked a treat and got many a thanks from the trucks and coachliners that overtook us.

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2012, 10:41 AM   #84
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if you want to let someone past, I would indicate to the left not the right! makes more sense!
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2012, 01:24 PM   #85
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
I always laugh when I see the news items about some idiot who drove into a river or the ocean because "The GPS told me to".
I wonder what percentage drivers cannot function without being told what to do at all times.....
Absolutely. Right near my house there is a brand new housing development. There is a new main road, as yet unopened and blocked by fences preventing people from driving on it. In the last month I have seen 3 cars turn straight into this road and hit the fence (and heard many more at night), despite the big road closed sign and coloured barriers..... so I had a look at my gps and yep, the road is on the maps as open..... zero common sense from drivers, indeed, the excuse would be "I crashed because my gps told me to do so."

Scary thought - these same drivers can be travelling toward you (and your family) at 100kmh on an undivided road......
Fiesta_Man69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2012, 03:18 PM   #86
AndrewR_AUII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

An interesting aspect is that the SA Police website tells you where they are....

http://police.sa.gov.au/sapol/road_s..._locations.jsp
Selected Speed Camera Locations in Adelaide: Thursday, 23rd August 2012
Street Suburb
SIR DONALD BRADMAN DRIVE BROOKLYN PARK
SOUTH ROAD EDWARDSTOWN
BRIGHTON ROAD SEACLIFF
DUTHY STREET MALVERN
GOODWOOD ROAD COLONEL LIGHT GARDENS
CROSS ROAD UNLEY PARK
BELAIR ROAD HAWTHORN
TAPLEYS HILL ROAD GLENELG NORTH
DIAGONAL ROAD WARRADALE
CROSS ROAD MYRTLE BANK
MAIN SOUTH ROAD O'HALLORAN HILL
GREENHILL ROAD WAYVILLE
HOLBROOKS ROAD UNDERDALE
MONTAGUE ROAD INGLE FARM
PORT WAKEFIELD ROAD DRY CREEK
MONTAGUE ROAD MODBURY
RESERVOIR ROAD MODBURY
PORT WAKEFIELD ROAD GEPPS CROSS
PROSPECT ROAD PROSPECT
CHURCHILL ROAD PROSPECT
NORTH EAST ROAD MODBURY
MAIN NORTH ROAD POORAKA
REGENCY ROAD PROSPECT
TOLLEY ROAD ST AGNES
AndrewR_AUII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2012, 09:57 PM   #87
Bam
XB,XF,ZL,EA,EL,BA,SY,SZII

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent write up on Air bag installation. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDManual
if you want to let someone past, I would indicate to the left not the right! makes more sense!
It makes no sense to me fellas. I'll pass you alright, but only because I think you are pulling over. Not the same cue that I get from a truckie flashing the right-hand indicator.
Bam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2012, 10:03 PM   #88
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I don't like to confuse the situation any further than it is ... if someone wants to overtake (and I can see them coming up) .... i just move over to the left a little more to alloow more visibility ... and that's it ... flashing indicators can confuse others and cause more headaches/problems ... especially when most people have no idea what the indication is for.

Seen it way too many times.

The only indicating i acknowledge is the "Thank You" from truck drivers after letting them in so they down lose momentum in highways/freeways .... and that is all.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2012, 12:02 AM   #89
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nic85
There's no need for it. The difference in time would be about 4 minutes on a 100km trip going 120 instead of 110.
Ever suddenly started to feel tired while driving? I have. Usually 4 minutes earlier I felt fine.
Would be good to arrive home within those 4 minutes.

I flash my lights most the time. These days I seam to flashing them more at idiots driving around at night with no lights on. Or others driving around with highbeam constantly on. They never take the hint though.

If there is a hazard ahead on the road I'll usually flash lights and then hit my hazards lights on.
This is more of a country thing. Half the drivers in the city probably would think off my head and report me for hooning.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2012, 12:51 AM   #90
XR6TCraig
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ah yes, the country city comparison. That is another major factor in why we see such a difference in attitudes in this thread.

As a driver that has been lucky enough to spend about a 50/50 split between living in city and country areas, I appreciate it when a truck driver indicates with his RHS blinker to let me know the road is clear ahead and it is safe to pass. Most country drivers who have been around the block once or twice would have seen it many times, so it makes me laugh that others here see it as confusing, until I realise that the person voicing their opinion may never have driven anywhere other than in suburbia or on a multi lane freeway around Sydney/Melbourne, etc.

I see a truckie hit the indicator, then pull out, make a quick check for brake lights on the truck and scan for any T intersections or property entrances so that I know the truck isn't going to turn right off the highway, then proceed at speed to safely pass the truck, giving a wave in the rear view mirror as I pass. Easy peesy!

On the other hand, if instead of using his indicator to let me know it was safe to pass, the truck driver was to pull over to the left while I was behind them on a road in the middle of nowhere to give me a better view of what is ahead, I would do my nut, because he would be sending all kinds of debris from the shoulder of the road up into my pride and joys duco and windscreen. This just isn't the thing to do!

FWIW, I flash any kind of speed trap, be it camera or radar/lidar. FLashing has a much greater effect on a driver and his behaviour than a hidden speed trap. I find it quite strange that people wouldn't bother, especially now that tolerances are so low and that these speed traps are not intended to do anything other than line the pockets of the state governments. After all, if you cop enough fines for doing walking pace over the limit you can lose your licence which in turn can really effect your life. Its not a punishment that fits the so called "crime" IMO so I flash to warn others in the hope that it will save them some cash, as well as maybe their life.

Last edited by XR6TCraig; 23-08-2012 at 01:13 AM.
XR6TCraig is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post