Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-10-2005, 03:28 PM   #61
Donut King
Officially Unemployed!

jeebus! steffo is making up his mind already before reading a magazine that has told him what to think :p

the pics are real and FPV are not too happy with ACP at the moment

Donut King is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2005, 03:43 PM   #62
NC 5ltr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

regarding those front foggies,do yous reckon they look abit like HiD lights?

QUOTE What makes you think I'm going to park behind a VE? I don't even attend the Sydney Gay Mardi Gras! QUOTE
NC 5ltr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2005, 03:57 PM   #63
Ghiadude
FORMERLY TX3DUDE

ude
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSE2
I want to congratulate FPV on achieving something that would be impossible in any back yard.

If I read that right and there has to be doubt about some of the accuracy regarding minor statements and additions, but the BF picks up dual air intake and a different exhaust with a dedicated tune for those two features. That’s a sensational achievement to keep those peak numbers the same.
mmm its a shame they went to all that trouble and couldnt get any more out of the old girl eh???:
Ghiadude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2005, 04:05 PM   #64
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEM
I wish people had the slightest clue about engineering and what's involved in making fundamental changes...

It was never going to happen for the FPV update... Such changes would require another set of fundamental crash analysis and CAE analysis and crash testing.. Ford, not having the luxury of being able to spend endless amounts of money on an update to model that is approaching its end... is just not justified. People have very unrealistic expectations.. but that happens when they don't know what's involved.

On the subject of alloy blocks, that too would require new crash analysis and testing, it won't happen until ALL V8's have migrated to alloy blocks across the range, most likely in the all new falcon.. that way development cost will be consolidated across the entire program.
Forget it! they don't and will never understand. They live in fantasy land where Ford has a limitless bucket of money to throw as appeasing a few mag monkeys who will probably never own one or afford one anyway.

Some people even see improved performance brakes as a negative so clearly not eveyone is all consumed with peak performance numbers.

Look at historical changes for the GT range, this update is no different to what XT was to XR or what XY was to XW or XB was to XA, on paper they all had the same power output etc.. The changes were largely cosmetic and refinement, not outright performance.
As Flappist said, if you dont like FPV products then FFS go buy something else and leave us alone!

Old 11-10-2005, 04:06 PM   #65
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
FFS Whinge moan.... all you have seen is a scan of a magazine.

It is real easy guys, if you don't like the BF FPV range DON'T BUY ONE! There are lots of choices out there for you.......

The price of EA MPFI fairmonts is getting down to the $2000 range so grab one of them instead.
Or be an individual and buy a VZ HSV (nobody else is).

If, all of a sudden, the 400m times drop to mid 13s due to the transmission upgrades I am fairly confident that the same whingers will be complaining about something else.
AMG mercs weigh more than GT-P and seem to be able to do 12s..............

From what I have seen so far I think they will be great. Now I have to convice myself to replace my 6 month old BA2........ mumble mumble mumble.....
Well said!

Old 11-10-2005, 04:26 PM   #66
Bossxr8
Peter Car

The GT looks hot, i'm planning to order one in 6 months time. Not too sure about the wheels on the F6 though. At least FPV have come to their senses and added a knock sensor and twin exhausts to the Boss engines.

As for the weights listed, that seems to be for auto models, manuals should be closer to the 1825kg of the BA.

Correct me if i'm wrong but isn't Motor magazine due out tommorow, one day before the cars were supposed to be revealed at the motorshow? If thats the case then someone fkd up bad.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2005, 04:36 PM   #67
NC 5ltr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8

Correct me if i'm wrong but isn't Motor magazine due out tommorow, one day before the cars were supposed to be revealed at the motorshow? If thats the case then someone fkd up bad.
well i went out before to try and get the latest motor mag and all they had was the oct edition ,with nov out in 8 days!!!

wheels comes out 2norrow so i will be looking at that

QUOTE What makes you think I'm going to park behind a VE? I don't even attend the Sydney Gay Mardi Gras! QUOTE
NC 5ltr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2005, 04:41 PM   #68
FPV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
E55 AMG, although being 1950kg, has a 5.4 Supercharged V8 with 350kW @ 6100rpm and 700Nm @ 2650 - 4500rpm. 60kW more power then a GT, 180Nm more torque, and a fatter torque curve... and the power/weight difference is awesome... 290kW BAII GT = 158.9kW/tonne and 284.9Nm/tonne... 350kW E55 AMG = 179.48kW/tonne, 358.97Nm/tonne.

Well... looks like I know which BF I'm going to lust over.... 6spd auto XR6 Turbo :
I'd like to know where you got 1950kg's from. In motor magazine it is quoted at 1825kg. it weighs about the same as an FPV GT. Unless you did a typo.
FPV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2005, 04:46 PM   #69
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV
I'd like to know where you got 1950kg's from. In motor magazine it is quoted at 1825kg. it weighs about the same as an FPV GT. Unless you did a typo.
Looks like we're both wrong

http://www.mercedes-benz.com.au/fram...sp&query=empty

Mercedes-Benz website, 1835kg. Well, that just extends its huge power/weight advantage over FPV, illustrating the reason why it's so much faster.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2005, 04:47 PM   #70
HEMI POWER
N/A BOSS 390+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluehoon
Different cars for different needs. Some people want the image of a FPV, others do not.

One thing that is strikoing me here, is the fact that the "Ford" models, fairmont, ghia, xr etc etc, and coming closer to FPV range in performance. Especially the 3v......

Tell me, what is going to make me want to buy a FPV when a fairmont ghia and some simple mods will be quicker than a GT-P????????

The difference between the models is so slim, i call it poor on FPV's part.
Well for starters the FPV range have the bigger brakes so it makes you stop better.The Fairmont Ghia's brakes wouldn't even make it around a racing circuit or some spirited driving.The FPV's come out with high performance tyres and wider rims to cope with the higher speeeds ect..........And stating a Fairmont Ghia is nearly as quick i really doubt it and if it is ,it sure hasn't got the accessories like what i have mentioned above to outperform the latest FPV range. :sm_headba
ALL AUSSIE MUSCLE
HEMI POWER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2005, 04:51 PM   #71
parawolf
beep beep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPVGT
Well for starters the FPV range have the bigger brakes so it makes you stop better.The Fairmont Ghia's brakes wouldn't even make it around a racing circuit or some spirited driving.The FPV's come out with high performance tyres and wider rims to cope with the higher speeeds ect..........And stating a Fairmont Ghia is nearly as quick i really doubt it and if it is ,it sure hasn't got the accessories like what i have mentioned above to outperform the latest FPV range. :sm_headba
Hmm Fairmont Ghia 3V V8 price vs GT... with the change you could buy some lovely XR 18" wheels (or even nicer after market rims), some nice tyres, and bigger aftermarket brakes - say a PBR setup or a AP Racing setup. Oh and then there is the flash edit to improve the 3V across the range performance.

But then again comparing stock to modified is not really fair. But $ to $ it would make an interesting decision.
Old 11-10-2005, 04:59 PM   #72
HEMI POWER
N/A BOSS 390+

Quote:
Originally Posted by parawolf
Hmm Fairmont Ghia 3V V8 price vs GT... with the change you could buy some lovely XR 18" wheels (or even nicer after market rims), some nice tyres, and bigger aftermarket brakes - say a PBR setup or a AP Racing setup. Oh and then there is the flash edit to improve the 3V across the range performance.

But then again comparing stock to modified is not really fair. But $ to $ it would make an interesting decision.
10 K difference in price,i doubt you could even get a Fairmont Ghia in the same league as an FPV vechile.Sorry but i think some of you guys here are starting to get to ambitious. :
ALL AUSSIE MUSCLE
Old 11-10-2005, 05:02 PM   #73
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by parawolf

best stick to the XR6 Turbo for that... consistantly the best bang for your dollar Aussie made car available since its 2002 release... and that's not set to change any time soon

:
Old 11-10-2005, 05:11 PM   #74
FPV

Looks like Ford europe and Ford australia are working closer together now as opposed to the AU falcon where they worked with FORD US. This is good as we will see some Ford DNA across the range of cars that will be identifiable as Ford,as we the bulk of ford passenger cars are from Ford europe. That Typhoon bumper has the iosis concept written all over it. Shows that the Iosis design elements have been in design for quite a while.
FPV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2005, 05:13 PM   #75
Bluehoon
Hoon On The Rise

If you want a FPV go for it.

But other then some nice seats, some big brakes, and some lairy body work, there ain't much to them...

If your not going near a track, brakes are no worries.

And from the excess 20 k change, by not buying a FPV, you can do some nice mods to the Ghia, and make it a very nice sleeper / streeter.

IMO, thats a better bang for buck than a current GT / GT-P......

But, thats my opinion,~~!

FGX-XR8 Manual, BFII E-Gas, '11 GSXR 1000 - Love 'em!
FPV Tickford Club of NSW - www.fpvclub.com
Bluehoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2005, 05:14 PM   #76
perthxr6t
PERTHXR6T

If all FPV'S and the XR range came out with all the go fast goodies on them what would we spend our money on!! At least each new model that comes out something gets better or goes faster when it's perfect what will we talk about on here?

They have come a fair way i think compaired with the base AU and that ugly front end not having ago at the AU XR series they were fine.

Panther Black XR5T Mondeo
Sunroof
BlueTooth
Mods So Far

Air Box Mod
Lowered Eibach Springs 25mm
Alloy foot Pedals
Waiting for the Edit to come
Custom Cat Back Zorst
perthxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2005, 05:16 PM   #77
HEMI POWER
N/A BOSS 390+

Quote:

But other then some nice seats, some big brakes, and some lairy body work, there ain't much to them...

And from the excess 20 k change, by not buying a FPV, you can do some nice mods to the Ghia, and make it a very nice sleeper / streeter.

Or maybe buy a Hyundai and stick a V8 in it,bang for your bucks and i bet it will outperform anything.That's how stupid some of your comments sound.
ALL AUSSIE MUSCLE
Old 11-10-2005, 05:17 PM   #78
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:

And some people don't like the seats or bodywork. Now, this has nothing to do with the usual things I say about FPV's being slow or anything, but I've sat in several, and I hate the seat trim. The stupid suede should not be there. It feels weird, it gets hot, it sticks to your clothes, so when you move around in the seat, you clothes don't move with you.

The GT-P seats are extremley uncomfortable, I could do with out them.

On the other hand, the XR's and regular cars and Ghia models etc, have very nice seats, nice, nomal leather, etc etc. I much prefer them on interior.

I think the XR's look alot better then FPV's, as they have a classy subtle theme to them, which suit's the BA/BF design perfectly. FPV are too tacky boy-racer for me. Totally opposite to the AU T3 theme, they looked great with that aggressive kit. The BA isn't suited by it IMO, looks much better with subtle classy treatment.

My two cents.

:
Old 11-10-2005, 05:43 PM   #79
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC 5ltr
well i went out before to try and get the latest motor mag and all they had was the oct edition ,with nov out in 8 days!!!

wheels comes out 2norrow so i will be looking at that
Motor is supposed to come out tommorow, not Wheels. The date listed in the October edition of Motor says the november edition is due Wednesday the 12th of October.
Old 11-10-2005, 05:49 PM   #80
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
And some people don't like the seats or bodywork. Now, this has nothing to do with the usual things I say about FPV's being slow or anything, but I've sat in several, and I hate the seat trim. The stupid suede should not be there. It feels weird, it gets hot, it sticks to your clothes, so when you move around in the seat, you clothes don't move with you.

On the other hand, the XR's and regular cars and Ghia models etc, have very nice seats, nice, nomal leather, etc etc. I much prefer them on interior.

I think the XR's look alot better then FPV's, as they have a classy subtle theme to them, which suit's the BA/BF design perfectly. FPV are too tacky boy-racer for me. Totally opposite to the AU T3 theme, they looked great with that aggressive kit. The BA isn't suited by it IMO, looks much better with subtle classy treatment.

My two cents.
How you come to the conclusion the T3 is less boy racer than the GT is beyond me. The GT is a lot more integrated in design than the T3 which seemed more tacked on trying to hide the AU shape, something it did manage to achieve to a fair degree I must say. And you are also the only person on this forum I have heard say the GTP seats are crap. Do you weigh over 100kg's as that is the only thing I can think of the would explain it. They are no different in wrap around shape to R8, STi, Evo etc.
Old 11-10-2005, 05:52 PM   #81
HSE2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEM
Exactly!

You'll also notice how the article claims that FPV have acheived something by being able to keep power at previous levels now that the BOSS engines are euro3 compliant, yet all other engines in the linup were able to GAIN power and torque while complying to euro3.

There is no way the BOSS powered cars are at the same previous levels... it's all politics and i'm affraid we have now reached the peak of advertised power increases.
Thank God somebody has actually picked up on something I have said today correctly.
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2005, 06:06 PM   #82
Supa R00
Rolling on Simmons...

THEY LOOK HOT!!! bugger bout the weight increase but had to be expected with a 6 speed auto? im sure they will still perform better... i mean where barely talking more than a bag of cement here :P
5Spd, Simmons FR17"s, SupaLow's, Sprint Bodykit,
Cam, exhaust and all that jazz... Complete AU XR6 conversion and soon to be turbo!
:voldar02:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkinshaw
When has any XR6 after the ED, prior to the XR6T been anywhere near being a performance car, or much more of a car than a stock taxi spec Gli?
Supa R00 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2005, 06:11 PM   #83
Supa R00
Rolling on Simmons...

Quote:

My two cents.
OMG steffo when u ACTUALLY drive a GTP you will appreciate the seats for all their glory. ive traveled a four hour straight trip along the highway in them and they were GREAT! its also when your cornering so hard that the tyres are screaming and your pushed into the sides that u actually begin to appreciate the support these seats give (: aye john!!! ;) :P), not when your sitting in one on the showroom or in one that your uncle owns or whatever!!!
5Spd, Simmons FR17"s, SupaLow's, Sprint Bodykit,
Cam, exhaust and all that jazz... Complete AU XR6 conversion and soon to be turbo!
:voldar02:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkinshaw
When has any XR6 after the ED, prior to the XR6T been anywhere near being a performance car, or much more of a car than a stock taxi spec Gli?
Supa R00 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2005, 06:20 PM   #84
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

My two cents.
Steffo!!! you've actually picked a characteristic of performance seats as a negative!
The XR seats might be more "comfortable" but if you're pushing the car hard the FPV seats will support you better, you can't have it both ways, a seat designed to be comfortable and easy to get in and out of wont be ideal for performance applications!!
And boy racer styling.... please!!! HSV are the kings of "boy racer" styling, at least the GT looks intergrated with its kit unlike predecesors...
Too many contradictions today mate! :voldar02:

Old 11-10-2005, 06:23 PM   #85
HSE2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEM
Exactly!

There is no way the BOSS powered cars are at the same previous levels... it's all politics and i'm affraid we have now reached the peak of advertised power increases.

The first thing you do to a boss engine is increase the air in. You don’t do that for Euro3 I wouldn't have thought. I would suggest that is a performance upgrade pure and simple.
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2005, 06:26 PM   #86
Iphido
Guy that posts stuff

Quote:
Well for starters the FPV range have the bigger brakes so it makes you stop better.
Well the FPV has front brakes that are ~25mm bigger and cost ~$900 per rotor more. The Ghia V8 has exactly the same rear brakes, and front brakes that are about the same size as MKI and MKII FPV GT's. Certainly adiquate for road use. Remember only 15mm smaller than a brand new M5's or M6's brakes!! The days of crap standard brakes on (V8 and Turbo) falcons should be gone!

What would I have for GT or GT-P price?

Fairmont Ghia V8 with GPS and sunroof
-18" XR wheels and suitable tyres (or maybe keep the 17"s)
-Supercharger + edit (~350kw and ~700nm and remove stupid limiter)
-Koni monotube shocks or simular (due to ford stingyness)
-SD STB and DVD wired to ICC (or maybe a HTPC which I could add voice control)
-LSD (why aren't these in the Ghias anymore?)
-Bluetooth (please when will this be standard in Ghias?)
-Heated seats
-Dark tint
-Minor audio upgrade (new sub, some new speakers)

This is exactly what I indend to do. But Because of the Ghias *MASSIVE* depreciation it only makes sense to buy a exfleet 2 or 3 yo ghia for $25-$30k with low kms (~25,000) and go from there. 2 or 3 year old GT is still around $40-50's. So I can do this and still have $10k in my pocket over a FPV.

Bingo, instant sleeper and a true euro competitor. Something very diffrent too..

I've talked to Ford directly about some sort of special edition Ghia (that might hold some resale) for private buyers with cash (Turbo or boss or simular), but they simply aren't interested. Basically, they said if they did that, then people wouldn't buy FPV's. It all comes down to marketing. FPV are marketing.

So while you go driving around in your GT and get car jacked and vandalised and hassled by the cops and annoyed by every V8 VS commo driver in the world. Then goto the track, get **** pounded by a VZ SV8 and cut low 14's. Maybe you like that.. Been there, done that.. Its not that much fun really.

I move sleek and stealthy. Drawing little notice from hoons, fools and police. I don't go to the track, but if I did it would be in mid 12's. I don't have to beat a Sv8 because its not a track car. Its a cruiser. It would certainly catch a LS430 or GS430, or any euro this side of a M5/AMG.

I don't see why Ford couldn't place in alloy blocks into the BA. Holden has two unique blocks (although sharing simular designs) with the LS2 and LS1. AFAIK they only crash test the most common varient anyway. If VW can afford some 30 diffrent powertrains in one model then Ford must surely be able to afford 1998 VTII style alloy blocks in its range. Shiet don't FPV now outsell the Ford LWB range?

I don't see why everyones so against some productive critisim. I suppose if we all kept our mouth shut and loved everything Ford gave us we would all be driving around in awesome Taurus's.

Look at F6 and XR6T diffrences. Appart from the bodykit whats the big deal? 25 more kw? In turbo mod land thats nothing, an edit will get you more than that! Then the rest is trimmings and bodykit. XR6T's have always been nipping at XR8's and GT's heels. I chose a Ghia over a XR6T because luxury packed XR6T's are usually thin on the ground, and I like the V8 and they don't depricate as much as ghias.

FPV are back in the early 90's of HSV.. Fiberglass body kits and headers. If thats what you want. Fine! I'm looking for more substance. To be honest I would rather a regular Ford standard than a FPV.
Iphido is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2005, 06:27 PM   #87
Deadman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

disappointed :( just another BA called a BF ...
Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2005, 06:39 PM   #88
Franky
Bring back the Phase

I too am somewhat dissapointed in no power increase but like people have said I will not be able to afford one so it doesn't matter.

I do think they look better and they are starting to get carried away with little details to the point that they should leave it alone now. Perhaps instead of Ford releasing a car that looks stock with 290kw engine and can do low 13's you do it yourself! The only reason the HSV's are able to do it now is they are lighter and it'll change in a month anyway
Franky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2005, 06:42 PM   #89
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If anyone looked at the depreciation of their beloved fairmont ghias they would have a heart attack.

Personally they look OK but there isn't enough of a difference to make me try to get into one. I will wait for the new model in 07 or whenever it appears.
XA-Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2005, 06:43 PM   #90
rodderz

I would suggest it would a mucher wiser decision for all to wait till owners give us their report, and we read about comparo's in the mag's

We can all and moan about no power increases this and that, Ford obviously has a long term goal in mind and the BF was never meant to have substantial changes. It's that part of the model cycle. I'm sure when tested there will be a few things a lot better than the BA that will be highlighted
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post