Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 10-06-2007, 10:31 PM   #61
Envious
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPN XR6T
Envious- didn't say I enjoyed being an RI, said I enjoyed my job (I don't consider being an RI MY job, I am doing it for 2 years until someone else comes along).

I am a Combat Engineer (THAT is my job) / EOR (Explosive Ordnance Recon.) Tech and M113A1 Crew commander, so as you can see, you don't have to stick to one job IOT be in the Army.

I have one of the most diverse roles in the military, we build and destroy Bridges, emplace and breach Minefeilds, Repair and deny roads, build and breach battlefeild obsticals, conduct High risk search and CBRN detection, purify water and a meriod of other tasks that fall outside of regular operations too numrious to mention. And that is just my base trade.

Yes I was conducting the Advanced Soldier Cse last year (now Defunct) but only got hold of the T this year, had a Green XH ute before.

Like I said before, if anyone wants to ask, I can probably answer the question, or find out for you.
You forgot filling sandbags, digging holes and putting up hesco.. You have fun with that :P
Old 10-06-2007, 10:35 PM   #62
sprjenkins
Spr Jenkins

Were not infantry mate, we have plant for a reason, I haven't dug a hole with my et since butterworth

-Mathematicians have found that due to the excessive amount of women Chuck Norris has slept with, it is guaranteed that he appears in your family tree a minimum of three times

-Chuck Norris doesn't sleep. He waits.

-Chuck Norris once worked as a weatherman for the San Diego evening news. Every night he would make the same forecast: Partly Cloudy with a 75% chance of Pain.
sprjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2007, 09:30 AM   #63
WPN XR6T
Useless

ET? That is what Troop stores are for! I only broke in my ET when I came here (Wagga) and had to teach Recruits how to dig in!
It's not about doing it harder, just smarter.
That, and my pit weighs 11.54 t and has tracks.
Putting up Hesco sucks, but a Skid steer loader doing the work for you seams to make the day go quicker....

Happiness is owning more Fords. Bliss is owning more XR's!

- 2005 BA II XR8 "The Dino"
- 2005 BA II XR6T "The T"
- 2008 WQ XR4 "The Fez"
WPN XR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2007, 10:10 AM   #64
Envious
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprjenkins
Were not infantry mate, we have plant for a reason, I haven't dug a hole with my et since butterworth
Well i am, and i havent dug in since iet's. lol. We get you blokes to do that while we do the good stuff. :P
Old 11-06-2007, 09:53 PM   #65
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPN XR6T
Yes I was conducting the Advanced Soldier Cse last year (now Defunct) but only got hold of the T this year, had a Green XH ute before.
Ok I think I'm safe, don't remember any green XHs. Or combat engineers for that matter.

How's the 80 day course compared to the advanced soldier course? It was great to get a bit of slack (or extra rope to hang ourselves with) over those last 5 weeks. I think our sgt was ready to kill someone at the end of the 7 weeks anyway.
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2007, 10:22 PM   #66
WPN XR6T
Useless

80 day Cse is better managed and well spaced out, but 3 months in a room with the same 4 people isn't for everyone.
When you say 80 days, it's actually 92, the first week not counting due to inductions and welfare briefs ect, but 80 training days strait is intensive, for the trainees and the staff. And SGT's do that.
Yes the cse peters out, and it's not that we go any easer on the trainees, it's that they get better at time management, and doing what they are told to do when they are told to do it, and to the required standard.
(The Purpose of Drill is to......)

- 2008 WQ XR4 "The Fez"
Old 11-06-2007, 10:49 PM   #67
Psycho Chicken
Banned

I certainly noticed it being better managed the second time round. I was one of the last platoons to do RATEL and nav in the 45 day cse and we didn't have enough spare time to scratch our *****. Only seemed logical to go to a longer course.

Take it easy, I know hard it is on the RIs. At least once it's over for the recruits it's over, can only imagine how hard it'd be to go back to teaching the same stuff and dealing with the same problems every 3 months. Especially teaching drill!
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2007, 08:31 AM   #68
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Air Force = Holiday Camp, this is the force to join if you want a 9-5 job and don't want to work too hard.

Navy = Slack when ashore but nightmare at sea on a warship, average 16 hour days at sea and that is broken up so you never get a decent sleep. Best money though. Lots of travel.

Army = Most variation in job roles, probably the best for gearing up for a decent trade in civilian life.
Old 12-06-2007, 07:29 PM   #69
Vdouw
Proud Ford Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by savagE
I'm joining as Rifleman, done assessment. Just got to get my enlistment date for around mid February 2008.
Wat on earth! you must be going ARA as us dirty chocos (yes i know i should be at my unit and not here tonight) are getting flooded with lil jubes who just rock up on the next tues night after they have done all the jose days and crap. But yea choccos do all their own recruiting now.
Vdouw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2007, 07:31 PM   #70
Vdouw
Proud Ford Owner

Yea us filthy chocs have been hard done by with iets all in-unit and that pathetic 4 weeks holiday camp. wat a woftam! Mind you there is that many people joining some units in certian corps are doing their own ARA IET's
Vdouw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2007, 09:31 PM   #71
savagE
Complete ****** n bogan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vdouw
Wat on earth! you must be going ARA as us dirty chocos (yes i know i should be at my unit and not here tonight) are getting flooded with lil jubes who just rock up on the next tues night after they have done all the jose days and crap. But yea choccos do all their own recruiting now.
I planned ahead for mid February as this is when I want to go, I am in yr 12 at the moment and I want the summer to do up my XE.
And yeah, ARA.
savagE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2007, 02:53 PM   #72
WPN XR6T
Useless

The Army is trying to grow, and the amount of people being pumped through ARTC is such that some IET schools are required to depend on Units to pick up the slack.

The up side of this is that the units are responsable for the quality of there soldiers, and can customise training packages to suit their needs.

"Jubes" or junior soldiers play an important part in how soldiering is conducted at all levels. It is the duty of more senior soldiers to take responsability and guide junior soldiers in their respective rolls within the unit, as this is how GOOD NCO's are grown.

Planning ahead prior to inlisting and comming to ARTC is vitally important, espeically for GRES with private businesses and pending job applications, as the amout of free time (Admin time) availible to you is VERY limited.
For ARA, plan ahead for about 6 months (for most Combat Corps) as you will go strait from ARTC to IET's, and depending on things like failures/injury at ARTC and Cse start dates for IET's, it may be some time before you get to see your loved ones (be it maternal or mechanical) for a significant amout of time.

- 2008 WQ XR4 "The Fez"
Old 13-06-2007, 05:40 PM   #73
savagE
Complete ****** n bogan

Yeah you don't say. My mate just recently passed out of Kapooka and said his friends who were going in as Rifleman were going to Singleton for 1 week, then did rest of IET at Darwin and shipped straight off to Afghanistan.
savagE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2007, 08:38 PM   #74
Ray
FORD POWER!!

I'd been debating on joining the army for the last few year, but i'd finally had enough of my crappy woolworths job So I decided to Sign up as a rifleman in the regular army... applied in January and went through all the interviews etc fairly quick..

I'm off to kapooka on the 25th of this month. I'm nervous... yes, But excited as all hell too!

Soon to come - XR rear wing, cat back exhaust - maybe a body Kit or a lowering job
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2007, 10:14 PM   #75
sprjenkins
Spr Jenkins

i'm going of to do sub 1 on the 23rd of june, gonna have to change my username soon.

-Mathematicians have found that due to the excessive amount of women Chuck Norris has slept with, it is guaranteed that he appears in your family tree a minimum of three times

-Chuck Norris doesn't sleep. He waits.

-Chuck Norris once worked as a weatherman for the San Diego evening news. Every night he would make the same forecast: Partly Cloudy with a 75% chance of Pain.
sprjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post