Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-05-2014, 06:38 AM   #61
Xauterus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Buying a car worries

Wow it is difficult to convince someone that they should not buy a car. It is totally a buyers market and there are plenty more cars out there. Just cause the sticker price is higher on others doesnt mean you cant make an offer. Most people are just looking for more than what a dealer offered them as trade in.
Xauterus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-05-2014, 07:22 AM   #62
Wolfinsheepsclothing
preying on lions

^^^yeah give it another couple of weeks and the seller might be more happy to do the deal your way, if not there's plenty more fish in the sea
Old 19-05-2014, 08:58 AM   #63
Gabbs
Curry in a hurry

Quote:
Originally Posted by eseriesaddict View Post
I have seen that XR8, however i really am looking for a 6 speed. I'd rather have a 6 cyl 6 speed than an 8 with the 5 speed. I am happy to be patient and wait a bit, but what I'm looking for doesn't come around all that often. Saw another one today that had tiny tiny rust spots under the fuel filler, will be staying away from that one too i think.

Jamin
Think you will find alot of them with rust near the fuel filler. Maybe see if you can stretch the budget for a fg.
Gabbs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2014, 11:37 AM   #64
XR6T0Y
Half brain dead already

Why would you rather the 6 speed? Is there any real benefit? Or just a " i have a 6 speed"? I know i would much rather a well maintained and well kept 5 speed, over a neglected 6 speed. Mate at work has a 5 speed BA XR6, only gets into 4th in town. Not to mention the extra costs if/when it goes bang

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

Running tuned at 191.3rwkw with 475nm Torque
Pacemaker PH4490 + Hiflo Pacemaker cat/catpipe + Xforce 2.5' catback into dual pipes after Diff.
FG Manifold + Herrod airbox + 20% underdrive +Hi flow thermostat + 26mm radiator and Weapon X coils!
Now rolling on staggered Matte black Lesnso D1R's
NOW MANUAL!
Shockwave Blue!
More to come

Now the proud owner of a '97 NL Fairlane

XR6T0Y is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2014, 12:12 PM   #65
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Seeing those pictures I think you could do better. These cars are a dime a dozen. Despite the low km, the long drive for a start is a turn off. Had you said it was immaculate, it may be worth pursuing but with these pics, nah I'd walk too.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2014, 12:35 PM   #66
MattstaF6

Walk Away. Too much mucking about for something in poor condition.
MattstaF6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2014, 01:52 PM   #67
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

The boot lid has rusted because the spoiler has probably come loose and allowed moisture to get to the holes where the spoiler is attached.

Silvers and greys are the worst colours for paint degradation so if it has lived outside it will show that sort of paint wear.

Personally I would hold off, not just because of the condition or the finance concerns individually, but the combination of the two.
Its cheap for a reason.

More will come up, just wait and top up your savings for something ready to go.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2014, 06:47 PM   #68
eseriesaddict

The 6 speed box is a much better box, better ratios and a much bette design. The old T5 is a clunky old thing that while I agree a well maintained one of those would be better than a neglected 6 speed, I would much rather hold out to get a T56. Just my preference guys having worked on a lot of these boxes over the years.

Jamo

Last edited by eseriesaddict; 19-05-2014 at 06:54 PM.
eseriesaddict is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2014, 06:58 PM   #69
eseriesaddict

I appreciate all the peoples responses where they haven't felt the need to berate me. I was really after some constructive feedback and I have a lot thankyou. I'm not trying to be talked into or out of buying these cars, I haven't bought any of the he ones we talked about, but if I play devils advocate it provokes a better debate.

I will continue looking around and hopefully something will pop up! If you know of any please let me know

Thanks, Jamin
4 users like this post:
Old 19-05-2014, 07:07 PM   #70
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

Quote:
I appreciate all the peoples responses where they haven't felt the need to berate me. I was really after some constructive feedback and I have a lot thankyou. I'm not trying to be talked into or out of buying these cars, I haven't bought any of the he ones we talked about, but if I play devils advocate it provokes a better debate.

I will continue looking around and hopefully something will pop up! If you know of any please let me know

Thanks, Jamin
No worries mate and good luck with the hunt, when you do find one put it up so we can pick the **** out of it again.
XBROO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2014, 08:39 PM   #71
eseriesaddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBROO View Post
No worries mate and good luck with the hunt, when you do find one put it up so we can pick the **** out of it again.
Haha sounds like a deal
Old 19-05-2014, 09:43 PM   #72
THE SLUG
REAL 4X4'S RATTLE

Just thought I'd add, my BF mkII has 225,000kms on it and was a fleet car for a long time, so it was most likely abused a fair bit, but the paint work shows no signs of deteriorating at all, so for a car with a fraction of the kms to have that sort of deterioration, something's not right.

THE SLUG - 1985 Toyota 4Runner
2.8L Turbo, 2.5" exhaust, 5" lift, 33" Mickey Thompson MTZs, lots of stickers

THE DAILY - 2006 BFII XR6T
Process West plenum, intercooler, intake kit, and throttle body relocation, 80lb injectors, 4" dump, twin 2.5" X-Force exhaust, high flow cat, ZF tune, 330rwkw @ 15 psi, 20" staggered MC Racing Simmons copies

THE TOY - 2000 AU Falcon
4.0L, 2.5" straight pipe, T5, BA brakes, spool, stripped out, slammed
THE SLUG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2014, 06:44 PM   #73
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
So the finance won't be an issue, they have agreed to come up to Perth and we can do a direct deposit into the loan account and close the loan together, they don't have a problem with that at all. However ... now i have seen the car I was hoping you guys could give me some advice on what it would cost to fix a few things wrong with this car. Just a bit of sun fade on the clear coat and a bit of rust at the spoiler. The clear coat has started to come off on the rear quarter a little and just starting to haze on the bonnet and boot. Its a BF MkII XR6 in Ego with 87000km on the clock. Its the 6 speed manual and drives really nice, just the body stuff. They want $9500 but said they'd do 9. It is pretty cheap but they only have done 4000km in 18 months so its sat a lot hence the paint damage. How much do you think to fix the paint and what do you reckon of the deal. Thanks so much guys, very much appreciate the responses!

I wouldn't pay a cent past $6500 for that (with full reg and rwc)
Old 21-05-2014, 02:45 AM   #74
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Yeah a WALK. I know how hard it is when your hearts settled on a car and you just want it. You'll justify anything....but that's just not the car for you....or anyone. Paint is expensive to fix as your doing whole panels.....and then you've got new paint next to old paint. You'll hate it. Look for a mint car you can fall in love with
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 21-05-2014, 03:27 AM   #75
93EB_SXR6
I totalled my XR6

I'll reiterate my comments on a more serious level.
If I were you I'd be patient and find a nicer example. A close friend bought a very similar car for $3K last year - the only fault was damaged diff bushes and the mechanic charged him less than $800 to repair (so the car cost him ~$4K all up).
You will find a better deal mate. "Plenty of fish in the sea" does apply here, it's a buyer's market.
Old 21-05-2014, 04:08 AM   #76
STINKY NINJA
Banned

Quote:
The 6 speed box is a much better box, better ratios and a much bette design. The old T5 is a clunky old thing that while I agree a well maintained one of those would be better than a neglected 6 speed, I would much rather hold out to get a T56. Just my preference guys having worked on a lot of these boxes over the years.

Jamo
Although the 6 speed is stronger it is a busted **** box to use,i have one in my xr8,im sick of it,the rollover noise,crunching and backlash through these ford manual drivelines is bloody shocking...
Im buying an auto turbo and selling my 6 speed xr8 lol,ford can bash their manual gearboxes haha
Good luck finding a car.
STINKY NINJA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2014, 07:21 AM   #77
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia View Post
The bootlid looks repaired and repainted, by the look at the photo.
no, no it doesn't
what you see in that photo is the standard rust that occurs because Ford can't properly seal the bolt holes for the spoiler.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2014, 10:12 AM   #78
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i sold my car with money owning, basically they paid out the loan plus some extra for me and then i gave them the car, after a week i got a letter saying there is no money owing on it and forwarded it on to the new owner
easy....just make a bank cheque out to the finance company, go to the bank with the owner, hand in the cheque and get a receipt, drive home in your new car.
BA GT Mk1 #0009 - Narooma Blue
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
Holden HX 50th Anniversary
AU Saloon Car racecar
1980 GS1000ST - Wes Cooley Rep
ebv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2014, 09:51 PM   #79
eseriesaddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBROO View Post
Hey guys, so I may have found a car! So I decided I wouldn't go for an XR8 as in not convinced the aging BOSS motor is worth is weight in much, and while I would be happy in a 6 I wouldn't mind a bit more power ... So I have been looking round at the XR6T's.

I have found a BAII, as much as I would love it to the funds won't stretch to a BFII with the typhoon internals. So my question is ... Is anyone there gonna talk me out of a BAII (or pick the **** out of it again haha)? What were their main issues. It's a 2005 with the 6 speed manual and has a XR8 bonnet and BF bumper. I'm taking it for a drive tmrw night but thought I'd get everyone's take on the BAII's. It's done 108000km too.

Cheers, Jamo
Old 28-05-2014, 11:37 PM   #80
Cashie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Multiple helpful contributions throughout the tech area. 

BAII XR6t's are fine, like any car just check the condition, service history etc.

They're getting pretty long in the tooth now, chances are the diff bushes will need replacement, check brakes, clutch and interior wear.

Past Rides:
2017 Kia Stinger GT
2008 FG XR6 Sedan
2008 FG G6E Sedan
2004 BA XR8 Sedan
2008 BF XR6 Turbo Sedan
2004 BA XR8 Sedan
2003 BA XR8 Ute
2003 BA XR6 Sedan
Cashie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2014, 01:51 AM   #81
eseriesaddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashie View Post
BAII XR6t's are fine, like any car just check the condition, service history etc.

They're getting pretty long in the tooth now, chances are the diff bushes will need replacement, check brakes, clutch and interior wear.
clutch is 10,000km old, bushes have all been swapped out for nolathane ones, brakes i don't know but will probably upgrade em anyway. And yeah I'll check interior.

Is it a huge issue that the BAII's don't have the upgraded internals the late BF has?

Jamo
Old 29-05-2014, 03:31 AM   #82
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

how much is it?

modified?
xxx000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2014, 09:03 AM   #83
eseriesaddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxx000 View Post
how much is it?

modified?
I can get it for 11k, and no engine mods which is what I want, low km, 19" typhoon rims brand new paint (he wanted the xr8 bonnet n bf bumper and they had to be painted n had paint fade on the spoiler so he got the whole car done). It's a BA II a 2005 with the 6 speed manual n only 108,000km its in the mid range of what ppl are asking for a good cond one.
Old 30-05-2014, 03:43 PM   #84
eseriesaddict

It seems every ba/f in this price range has that spot rust forming in the panel lap joint in the boot, people seem to get this fixed regularly, any one had any experience with the costs involved getting that small section cut out?

Jamin
Old 30-05-2014, 06:32 PM   #85
eseriesaddict

It seems every ba/f in this price range has that spot rust forming in the panel lap joint in the boot, people seem to get this fixed regularly, any one had any experience with the costs involved getting that small section cut out?

Jamin
Old 30-05-2014, 06:49 PM   #86
HULK_I6T
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
no, no it doesn't
what you see in that photo is the standard rust that occurs because Ford can't properly seal the bolt holes for the spoiler.
ive owned 4 BA/BFs and none of them had rust near the boot spoiler.
HULK_I6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2014, 07:43 PM   #87
Jack960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Of the B-series ive owned I have never seen rust like that and I keep mine outside 80% of the time. Only common rust places Ive found is in the boot seals (water doesn't drain if you park on an angle) and in the welds of the A pillar
Jack960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2014, 09:33 PM   #88
eseriesaddict

we're talking about a different car now, i have committed to buying an XR6T, has a small amount of rust around that boot seal which i will be getting fixed properly by a rust repairer. The car is pretty nice
Old 30-05-2014, 09:48 PM   #89
eseriesaddict

Jamo
2 users like this post:
Old 31-05-2014, 06:30 PM   #90
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

hope your happy with the purchase. Looks good from here

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon